Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The signal to noise is right on. I hate that poo poo and its getting old.

Having actual books in my possession I use them more, and more and more I just open a site, see its cluttered to poo poo with ads and whatever, then close it immediately.

And youtube now is horrible with ads on every single video, monetized or not. gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I wish I could find it, but about a few years ago Yahoo had a Pecan Pie recipe in it as a headline article around the holidays.

Just post after post in the comment of what a piece of poo poo Pecan Pie this was, not a true pecan pie, how dare they have (ingredient) in this pie, how their mom's recipe was the best in the loving world and this was a crime, F'n Liberals and their pies, etc.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rainbow-cake-recipe-inspires-comment-apocalypse-1592575661

The original page is down now, but this pretty innocuous recipe similarly spiraled out of control for reasons I will never understand. (yeah yeah gawker i know)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

This is good stuff, but no discussion of AOL and the Internet would be complete without mentioning The September That Never Ended.

In the early 1990s, the majority of people on the Internet (which at the time was mostly dominated by Usenet discussion groups) were there through colleges and universities. The Internet was largely by and for academia. And every September, a whole class of new students would arrive at college and be given access to this Internet thingy through the school computer labs. These people would inevitably make asses of themselves for a few weeks until they learned the social norms of netiquette and how to be a good netizen (remember those words?) and then things would generally calm down and get back to normal.

But then in September 1993, AOL opened their floodgates and added all the Usenet groups to their list of AOL discussion groups. They didn't make it clear what they'd done, what the Internet was, or that all these new places were not actually part of AOL. And so huge numbers of AOL users descended upon the unsuspecting Internet, still thinking they were within Steve Case's walled garden. They never did learn how to behave, and AOL got its reputation as the home of utter morons who would come barging into a discussion, posting things like "that's against AOL rules, I'm going to report you" or the infamously-useless "me too". The influx of clueless idiots stopped being an annual event in September, and became a permanent phenomenon. The Internet was forever changed.

Ah yes, the September that never ended. I think Greenday wrote a song about it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Ah yes, back when google was based on the text used to link to other sites. Back when you could get enough people to link a search term to a certain page as a joke.

One of my friends spent like an hour putting together some fake blogs with backlinks that made it so "our hs sucks" was the first entry over "our hs" or something like that. It was a big bit around school for like a day people had fun searching for our highschool name and seeing google report that it does, in fact, suck. Good times,, lads.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

If its content that's actually entertaining to read like The Onion, it's nice to just keep flipping through articles and it sort of emulates their books full of collected articles, which I always enjoyed.

Counterpoint:

Scroll 3 "loads" down
Click on article
Hit back button, you are now back on "load" one at maximum y position

For this, gently caress infinite scroll forever and ever a hundred years, morty

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This show was so loving weird

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

garfield hentai posted:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rainbow-cake-recipe-inspires-comment-apocalypse-1592575661

The original page is down now, but this pretty innocuous recipe similarly spiraled out of control for reasons I will never understand. (yeah yeah gawker i know)

Gawker had a few reply-allpocalypse articles a while ago that were funny like this but without all the projected rage

Fake edit: looks like they have a network-wide tag for these clusterfucks

http://deadspin.com/time-inc-is-in-the-midst-of-a-replyallpocalypse-1754078898

http://gawker.com/georgetown-campus-conservatives-traumatized-over-scal-1760584586

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Speaking of recipes, did you hear about how Nieman Marcus had the gall to charge this woman $250 for a cookie recipe and you can help her fight back against the man by forwarding the recipe along to everyone you know?

(I lost count of how many times I saw variations of that stupid email around 1998 or so...)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Concerned Citizen posted:

how the grinch stole christmas is actually the second result!

Okay but he's more green in the Grinch than in the mask, so arguably that should be the first result :colbert:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is like the one thread in GBS that isn't about hating poo poo and being mad at everything, please don't ruin that with your housewife recipe manifesto.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Nice work on this new thread title though mods

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

thathonkey posted:

Nice work on this new thread title though mods

Bear in mind the image above is about 5-10x too fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For another internet relic, I remember when they banned the phrase "[56k does whatever that's bad]" from the forums.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Unfortunately there is no save button. Yeah I just want to screenshot everything, unless there's some software I could use that would decompile the keywords or something and I could archive them better? I am more than happy to do that if there's such a thing.

That archiveteam web page had some links to tools that might maybe possibly do this, either now or possibly in the future. Did you happen to try any of them? I don't know anything about them.

8 track betamax posted:

Where can I download a complete snapshot of 1999 era internet and then host that on a.......server?? And then browse in it with netscape in win95

I thought about making a sorta-walled garden for retro computing stuff (i.e. earlier than 1999), with a search engine that might just index a few selected sites that were known to be good, but :effort:

Your job is easier because at least https://archive.org/web/ goes back to 1999!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

This is good stuff, but no discussion of AOL and the Internet would be complete without mentioning The September That Never Ended.

In the early 1990s, the majority of people on the Internet (which at the time was mostly dominated by Usenet discussion groups) were there through colleges and universities. The Internet was largely by and for academia. And every September, a whole class of new students would arrive at college and be given access to this Internet thingy through the school computer labs. These people would inevitably make asses of themselves for a few weeks until they learned the social norms of netiquette and how to be a good netizen (remember those words?) and then things would generally calm down and get back to normal.

But then in September 1993, AOL opened their floodgates and added all the Usenet groups to their list of AOL discussion groups. They didn't make it clear what they'd done, what the Internet was, or that all these new places were not actually part of AOL. And so huge numbers of AOL users descended upon the unsuspecting Internet, still thinking they were within Steve Case's walled garden. They never did learn how to behave, and AOL got its reputation as the home of utter morons who would come barging into a discussion, posting things like "that's against AOL rules, I'm going to report you" or the infamously-useless "me too". The influx of clueless idiots stopped being an annual event in September, and became a permanent phenomenon. The Internet was forever changed.

I always appreciated this term, even though at some point I was the noob (I didn't use AOL though, thankfully). I wonder if there are similar terms / phenomenons for later events? Maybe when Facebook went public, or twitter or tumblr caught on?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I always appreciated this term, even though at some point I was the noob (I didn't use AOL though, thankfully). I wonder if there are similar terms / phenomenons for later events? Maybe when Facebook went public, or twitter or tumblr caught on?

Teaching hospitals see an increase of errors in around the time the new batch of interns come in.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

Xbo.ne Xbone
Cu.ck Cuck
Cu.cked Cucked
Cu.cker Cucker
Cu.cking Cucking

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

How ironic, the user "UIApplication" not noticing the button marked "Edit" :haw:

edit: and after fake editing too!

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

jm20 posted:

Bear in mind the image above is about 5-10x too fast.

3.0 or bust, son :colbert:

I always hated that yellow guy. That's when AOL became mainstream, man! :emo:

For real though most of my friends do not remember 3.0 (even if they had it, they just don't remember any of the images I am showing them). 4.0 and the yellow running man and the gigantic "tool bar" on top is all they remember (I want to say this started in 1997).

I actually remember 2.5, before buddy lists. You literally had to CTRL+L all day long to see if a friend of yours signed on. A buddy list was like a legit, major feature.

(sadly, this is not my image as AOL blocks people from signing on with anything older than 6.0)

Buttcoin purse posted:

That archiveteam web page had some links to tools that might maybe possibly do this, either now or possibly in the future. Did you happen to try any of them? I don't know anything about them.

Do you know which zip to download? There's dozens of them. I would be more than happy to contribute to permanent archiving.

edit: I downloaded 3 zips so far and there's a lot of .txt files and .sit files but nothing that seems to be a tool of any sort.

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Apr 12, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm not really that old :(

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Do you know which zip to download? There's dozens of them. I would be more than happy to contribute to permanent archiving.

I'm not referring to the .zips on archive.org, I'm referring to the list of links at http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=AOL#Software

I mean probably the links are all broken or the tools don't work anyway but maybe it's worth a shot.

So how are you finding these long links with numbers in them like aol://4344:773.hubmain2.6836943.517768180/ , just web searching? Have you found lots of these? So many you can't go through them all manually?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Buttcoin purse posted:

I'm not referring to the .zips on archive.org, I'm referring to the list of links at http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=AOL#Software

Oops, now I understand. OK I will try to download all those tools and see what happens.

Buttcoin purse posted:

So how are you finding these long links with numbers in them like aol://4344:773.hubmain2.6836943.517768180/ , just web searching? Have you found lots of these? So many you can't go through them all manually?

The thing that got a fire under my rear end to look into all of this was I searched the server in my basement (literally just an old PC that I managed to cram 14 hard drives into; 1TB being the smallest, 4TB being the largest) because I am a digital hoarder and hey, I might need a book report I did in junior high someday. Anyway, I searched for the oldest files I could find, and it seemed to be from 1996 (even though I've used PCs way longer than that) and they were all AOL "filing cabinet" files. I opened them using AOL software and to my surprise, there were a ton of emails I saved from an old girlfriend I had in high school, some e-mails from the old days of eBay where people would email you their address so you could send them a money order (this is before Paypal), and other stuff I guess I found important at the time (such as the song requests for a mix CD a friend wanted because I was the only person with a CD burner). I had a few "favorite places" saved and that's how I found some of this stuff as it directly links to them.

(a fun example of one of the emails to me that I found):

If anyone here wasn't using eBay back then, that's how it was. You'd win the auction and you would be personally emailed by the seller telling you their address so you could send a check or money order. I also wanna know how the hell I came up with $230+ for a CD burner in 1998. I probably worked my $4 an hour job for an entire month to buy that thing.

The rest of the keyword links I found by going to Google, searching "aol favorite places", and setting the date to 1995 to 1999 and I got like two websites where someone actually uploaded their favorite places. That's how I found Slingo. Not much else, unfortunately. Why doesn't anyone else back up useless poo poo from 20 years ago besides me?? :argh:

edit: I should clarify that any of the favorites I happened to have saved, or ones I found on that one page were useless if they begin with aol://1722: as all that command does is search the keyword for you (so aol://1722:nickelodeon would be no different than just going to keyword nickelodeon, which doesn't work, so I need "hard" "permanent" links to get anywhere).

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Apr 12, 2016

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I do, sadly none of it is interesting.

Else if you're looking for old BBS crap there's textfiles.com and that geocities mirror but I don't think such a thing exists for AOL. Kind of a pity really. I never was subjected to AOL so it seems interesting.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Police Automaton posted:

I do, sadly none of it is interesting.

Else if you're looking for old BBS crap there's textfiles.com and that geocities mirror but I don't think such a thing exists for AOL. Kind of a pity really. I never was subjected to AOL so it seems interesting.

A big reason I think none of it was archived was because of the container used for all the AOL stuff. Most of the time you could not even copy text that was in a keyword. It was "closed off" from letting you do that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

error1 posted:

Why isn't there a HTML standard for a default "next page" action that browsers can use? Then you could use the back/forward buttons on your mouse or keyboard shortcuts without having to hunt for the link to the next page, instead of disabling the forward button when you're at the the most recent page in your history.

Most sites with infinite scrolling spam your browser history with rendering the back button useless, that poo poo needs to stop.

There is, and it has existed since HTML4: <link rel="next" href="page2.html" /> in the header. I believe it was one of the things opera used for its half-magical prev/next page buttons.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Computer viking posted:

There is, and it has existed since HTML4: <link rel="next" href="page2.html" /> in the header. I believe it was one of the things opera used for its half-magical prev/next page buttons.

I've wasted 30 minutes trying to get this to work on safari, chrome, firefox and opera and nobody seems to support it anymore, apart from using it to prefetch stuff. Apparently it's mostly used by search engines and content indexers to figure out the ordering of documents?
The closest I got was the help page for the old Presto-based versions of opera:
http://help.opera.com/Linux/11.00/en/toolbars.html

Too bad, meta links like that would be really convenient for keyboard navigation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

blugu64 posted:

I'm not really that old :(

Hey my mom had that exact coaster too!

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Efexeye posted:

"OMG This was suuuuuuch a great recipe after I added three other seasonings, substituted two ingredients and used a different protein. SO GOOD FIVE STARS"- every comment on every recipe on every food website ever

I like the humble brags about subbing in duck fat mayo, using Iberian ham shavings, hand picked heirloom tomatoes, and double organic kale to make a BLT on BeardBros. Bread that costs $20 a loaf.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

error1 posted:

I've wasted 30 minutes trying to get this to work on safari, chrome, firefox and opera and nobody seems to support it anymore, apart from using it to prefetch stuff. Apparently it's mostly used by search engines and content indexers to figure out the ordering of documents?
The closest I got was the help page for the old Presto-based versions of opera:
http://help.opera.com/Linux/11.00/en/toolbars.html

Too bad, meta links like that would be really convenient for keyboard navigation.

Yeah, I think presto opera was the only browser I've used that gave you a "next page" button/shortcut; presumably it wasn't useful enough often enough to be picked up by the others.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So I just discovered LINKS browser..............I think everything is going to be ok now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my boss insists on using msn explorer and gets super pissed off when it doesn't work and sends me crash dump data at all times
gently caress him

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I think it was lost in conversation above but even in the early days AOL had all their hosted content plus the ability to search the net and actually get on the web using this. At the very beginning did AOL have no access to the internet? My earliest days on it were probably around 1996 or so, it's hard to say though.

I remember arguing with a couple older nerds how AOL was superior because it had the internet plus all that AOL content. But looking back I do not recall using anything but a few chat rooms. I do remember seeing lol for the first time, having no clue what it was. The AOL chatrooms I recall were just people sending porn gifs to each other as you could just push them to people. A lot of it shock stuff like poop and worth.jpg.

I also remember trying to go to a URL, entering it then hitting search which wouldn't take you there as you needed to hit enter and calling tech support.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

(sadly, this is not my image as AOL blocks people from signing on with anything older than 6.0)

why did every piece of software in the mid 90's have that weird marble countertop image in the background?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Augmented Dickey posted:

why did every piece of software in the mid 90's have that weird marble countertop image in the background?

in the incredible world of the cyber-future, all surfaces are marble and all floors checkerboard

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
free netzero dialup with the big ad banner at the top of the screen on my 15 inch crt monitor

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sten Freak posted:

I think it was lost in conversation above but even in the early days AOL had all their hosted content plus the ability to search the net and actually get on the web using this. At the very beginning did AOL have no access to the internet? My earliest days on it were probably around 1996 or so, it's hard to say though.

Yeah, for a long time AOL had no internet access. It was around for a while before '93, and I think that's when they added Usenet and I think the internal web browser was '93 too (For windows only).

The DOS version of AOL used a windowing environment originally designed for Commodore 64 machines (GEOS) called GeoWorks Ensemble. It was awful. Also no internet for DOS users. I think the DOS version was maintained until '96 or '97.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

snakeandbake posted:

free netzero dialup with the big ad banner at the top of the screen on my 15 inch crt monitor

Same but Tritium.

control alt delete, [end task] adpath.exe and the ads disappeared :cool:

Sten Freak posted:

At the very beginning did AOL have no access to the internet? My earliest days on it were probably around 1996 or so, it's hard to say though.

I believe this is the case. I recall there being no web browser in 2.5, but I could be remembering wrong. I downloaded the software to see for myself but I can't since they block people from signing on with it now.

One thing to show you how pro-walled garden they were; it wasn't until 2006 that they let you have an AOL email address without paying them money. That meant that to keep the email address my entire family had since the mid to late 90s, we had to pay AOL like 10 dollars a month even though we got cable long before that. It was ridiculous but keep in mind people were still using AIM in the early 00s so losing your account was a big deal.

One other thing I vaguely remember was not being able to use an external browser when using AOL. Somehow, even if you were connected to AOL, if you then opened Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator or whatever, you could not connect to websites. I am not sure how they managed to pull that one off but I remember that being a thing until at least 1997. You had to visit websites from "within" AOL.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Yeah, for a long time AOL had no internet access. It was around for a while before '93, and I think that's when they added Usenet and I think the internal web browser was '93 too (For windows only).

Yep, September of 1993 is known as "Eternal September" because that's when AOL opened the floodgates of it's users onto Usenet.

September was when new crops of university students would get access to the internet for the first time and Usenet would inevitably be flooded with "METALLICA RULES!" types of messages a few weeks before they learned some manners or got bored. Once AOL users could access Usenet though, September of 1993 became the September that never ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sten Freak posted:

At the very beginning did AOL have no access to the internet?
It was all walled garden Keyword areas and chat rooms. But to be fair, it was kind of hard to collect all that internet stuff out there without good search engines. They added in Gopher/Usenet stuff first, but that was a little too nerd for people's liking (the alt.rec.whatever naming system). Then they let you download their AOL Browser for a while in late v2/early3. I remember taking an hour or three to grab it and not knowing where to go. Shortly after the BrowserWars started and I think they figured it was easier for people to just decide on using their own browser than slapcoding Netscape or whatever.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Part of it is a design language that was just getting off the ground, a limited amount of bandwidth to push background images and UI elements (remember that poster mentioning CONTENT LOADING screens?), and dithering/limited color reproduction on old screens.

I remember downloading tons of Sailor Moon/cartoon/whatever pictures on my ol' Performa, then moving those files to my 2000-era HP with a new 15" screen. All the salt-n-pepper look of the images went away because they were higher quality than my Mac monitor could render.