Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Paladinus posted:

Also, zeldroidvania is a real term some people use.

Oh my other 8-bit cover band.

Lurdiak posted:

I beat Shadowgate yesterday as homework for an upcoming game jam. I tried going old school, and after finding the original mac version too.... mac-y, I played through the NES version, which has luxuries like music and an interface that functions. It actually holds up pretty well! Despite the game having a ton of really dumb "gotcha" traps and some Sierra puzzle logic, it's chock full of content in a way that draws you in despite the simplicity of the story. Framing a point and click adventure as a donjon delve and having elements like the pressure of torches going out and the risk of death makes things pretty exciting. It's a classic for a reason.

Did you play any of the other MacVenture games? I remember Uninvited having some graphic descriptions of your death for an NES game. Pretty tame compared to today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBKT49s6Ks

LawfulWaffle posted:

Undertale is the Chulip of Dark Souls.

Amazon sez my copy of DS3 will be here a day earlier than expected, and I found a decent pinball hall within walking distance of the auto shop I need to drop my car off later this week. Plus I got Friday off to play video games and eat steak without interruption or judgement. Looks like everything's coming up MilhouseLawfulWaffle.

Pinball owns and it sucks that the pinball hall near me is just far enough to where I can't just casually drive to it whenever I feel like it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lurdiak posted:

I know how dedicated you are to calling every opinion I have stupid but it'd be nice if you just admitted I was right sometimes.

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure "I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers" is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But whatever. I'm used to being treated like a pinata.

lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it would be funny to describe IRL things in the same bizarrely reverential way goons talk about dark scrolls, like triumphantly posting how awesome it was to finally cook an omelette or that holy poo poo moment when you found that bum in a hidden alleyway who would sell you hand beezies for 5 bucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

I think it would be funny to describe IRL things in the same bizarrely reverential way goons talk about dark scrolls, like triumphantly posting how awesome it was to finally cook an omelette or that holy poo poo moment when you found that bum in a hidden alleyway who would sell you hand beezies for 5 bucks.

i mean omelettes are pretty sweet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

or savory if that's more to your liking

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god, gently caress this goddamn bus stop! I've been here for half an hour, and I'm so sick of having to repeat the run from my house every morning! I'm out... this is bullshit, and anyone who likes this is stupid!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Decided to give it one last try and found out there's a bus stop closer to my house. Guess I hadn't been paying attention. Does anyone else know about this? It's saving me a ton of time trying to redo the bus encounter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got on the bus, only to realize I never picked up the bus fare item. This is some Sierra-level pixel-hunting bullshit. How was I supposed to know I'd need it!?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finally. I finally beat the bus. Got to work, and get this... I talked to a guy who drove a car to work, and cars cost a ton of money. You guys were right, pushing through and finally doing the bus was way better. I'm a huge fan now. I can't wait until the next bus comes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

i mean omelettes are pretty sweet

Yeah and then you get that Holy poo poo moment when you realize you can have both good omelettes with some hobo handjobs at the same time..

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Oh my god you guys this bus is never showing up, gently caress this, I'm going to take a taxi!
Lmao look at this scrub who's going to waste a bunch of money on a taxi. I bet he never even found the closer bus stop. Git gud.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Buses are Dark Souls of public transportation.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god, gently caress this goddamn bus stop! I've been here for half an hour, and I'm so sick of having to repeat the run from my house every morning! I'm out... this is bullshit, and anyone who likes this is stupid!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Decided to give it one last try and found out there's a bus stop closer to my house. Guess I hadn't been paying attention. Does anyone else know about this? It's saving me a ton of time trying to redo the bus encounter.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Finally got on the bus, only to realize I never picked up the bus fare item. This is some Sierra-level pixel-hunting bullshit. How was I supposed to know I'd need it!?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Finally. I finally beat the bus. Got to work, and get this... I talked to a guy who drove a car to work, and cars cost a ton of money. You guys were right, pushing through and finally doing the bus was way better. I'm a huge fan now. I can't wait until the next bus comes.

:lol:

exquisite tea posted:

Once you find the bum, you can go back to the skatepark and tell Nig Nog about it. Later, he'll show up in the drunk tank and help you with the biker fight.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao look at this scrub who's going to waste a bunch of money on a taxi. I bet he never even found the closer bus stop. Git gud.

The true allure to souls games is the euphoric feeling when telling other players they're poo poo and to "git gud" .

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Cars are OP anyway and totally break the PvP gameplay.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LawfulWaffle posted:

Cars are OP anyway and totally break the PvP gameplay.

I rolled ped and they keep trying to PK me. :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordja posted:

I rolled ped and they keep trying to PK me. :(
Lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I killed a gunsmith for his loot and now some guards are after me. Tips?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure "I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers" is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But whatever. I'm used to being treated like a pinata.

"I don't like a thing and I think my opinion matters more than other peoples' opinions. I will conflate my opinion to affect an entire industry." -- Lurdiak

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

There are like two games I can think of that are at all inspired by Dark Souls on a deeper level than "being hard" and one of them is Lords of the Fallen so that's the least of its problems

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There are like two games I can think of that are at all inspired by Dark Souls on a deeper level than "being hard" and one of them is Lords of the Fallen so that's the least of its problems

And lords of the fallen missed it mark so hard

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

LotF is what happens when you try to mimic something while lacking all understanding on what makes it popular. Also I recently skimmed the old thread for it here and people were hilariously positive about it the whole thread, and I consider that thread to be the main example to Never Trust Goons

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lord of the Fallen had Warcraft style art and I hate that poo poo, dunno why.

I don't hate Warhammer, for whatever reason, even though it's a similar aesthetic, but Warhammer is just so much more weird and wacky than either Warcraft of Lords of the Fallen. You have like rat men and lizard tribes and people riding bears and giant war machines and every other thing is big and ridiculous. But it only works in that context, balls to the wall.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd take Warcraft's art style over, say, Dragon Age's brown'n'grey aesthetic any day of the week

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

smuh posted:

LotF is what happens when you try to mimic something while lacking all understanding on what makes it popular. Also I recently skimmed the old thread for it here and people were hilariously positive about it the whole thread, and I consider that thread to be the main example to Never Trust Goons

i was excited for it prior to release because in trailers and promo stuff it looked pretty great. but then it was not.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

I'd take Warcraft's art style over, say, Dragon Age's brown'n'grey aesthetic any day of the week

The Witcher is the only Western RPG I've seen (not played) that actually doesn't look like rear end garbage. Witcher 3 has like, bright colors and poo poo.

Skyrim's okay. I really...I really like ice environments and places like that so it's not really fair.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Witcher is the only Western RPG I've seen (not played) that actually doesn't look like rear end garbage. Witcher 3 has like, bright colors and poo poo.

Skyrim's okay. I really...I really like ice environments and places like that so it's not really fair.

Have you checked out Kingdoms of Amalur? It's got really pretty environments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's weird, Lords of the Fallen seems like something I should've been aware of but I have no memory of ever hearing about it before now.

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, that kinda looks like if FF9 knew what it was even going for.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

I actually rather liked Kingdoms of Amalur. I only played in the first forest area, which was nice and ridiculously big. I got bogged down in sidequests and then had to clear the game off my PS3 to make room for something else. Probably Metal Gear Rising.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Huh, that kinda looks like if FF9 knew what it was even going for.
This weird need to shoehorn in "I don't like popular thing" is why everyone makes fun of you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I actually rather liked Kingdoms of Amalur. I only played in the first forest area, which was nice and ridiculously big. I got bogged down in sidequests and then had to clear the game off my PS3 to make room for something else. Probably Metal Gear Rising.

Yeah that game really requires you to be selective with which side quests you do because if you try to do them all you'll never finish it.

It came at the right time in my life, when a college schedule allowed me the time to finish a game like Amalur.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Kingdoms of Amalur is very pretty and I love it, but it's not a great game. Fun, absolutely no challenge, kind of a weird mess sometimes. I'd like to see more RPGs with its action focus.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Kingdoms of amulalar: Rhode islands best game ever made

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I recall they got an actual fantasy writer I recognize to do the world for it, and it showed, it definitely felt like a much less "token" setting than most Western RPGs.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i was excited for it prior to release because in trailers and promo stuff it looked pretty great. but then it was not.
Well I mean that's fine, a lot of games you really can't tell if they'll be good or not from trailers and such, but continuing to gush over that piece of poo poo halfway through the game is hosed up

I played a bunch of it when I got it for super cheap, and I just know you can not enjoy the absence of weapon/stat balance, boring and easy bosses that take forever to kill, enemy types that were clearly not designed with all character types in mind, and complete lack of any kind of imagination (enemies look dull as poo poo and all have names like "dominator" or "eliminator" or poo poo like that)

I think I finally lost my patience and gave up with the game after a boss fight against a giant boss that was only designed to be fought in a specific way, so when he swung his weapon forward you still got hit being behind him since at that phase you were not supposed to be close to him for no reason. Just loving change to animation or something you lazy fuckers

e: getting dark souls 3 tomorrow tho so I can stop sperging over poo poo like this

smuh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 12, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lord of the Fallen had Warcraft style art and I hate that poo poo, dunno why.

I'm looking at screenshots of this game and uh... no it didn't? It doesn't look anything like Warcraft :confused:

I WISH more games looked like Warcraft, or Ori or Captain Toad or... idk Trine or whatever. Not to sound too Lurdiak about it, but it's one of the reasons I've never had any interest in the Souls games, I just don't think they look good aesthetically, at least with the way I prefer the games to look. So much of it is so grey and washed out and I get thematically that's kind of the point but still. I get why people love them so much though gameplay wise.

I'd play Dark Souls 3 if it looked like Captain Toad basically :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think by "looks like World of Warcraft" he might mean huge-rear end pauldrons your character can wear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The punishing mechanics of Dark Souls combined with the emergent narrative of Gone Home.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

I think by "looks like World of Warcraft" he might mean huge-rear end pauldrons your character can wear.

Yes, this. The character designs, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

"tiny heads" is the WoW style I think, or at least what its considered to mean. Plus the giant pauldrons of course

• Locked thread