Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

turtlecrunch posted:

I tried fire and it sucked, just make your weapon raw.

Yeah, I figured it would, what with the physical damage dropping and having to obviously face enemies who are resistant to fire at some point in the game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

You can do both if you want. Fire will change it to a fire sword via infusion, titanite to enhance it to +1 and so on via reinforcement.

Is this a good plan? Would this ultimately end up with a stronger weapon, or should I just focus on a single aspect, in this case raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
E: NM was thinking about another dude

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Farron Keep is a real lovely zone

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not random. You did something. you took the free level ups didn't you?

What is done cannot be undone :unsmigghh:

No, I know what triggers it and I never gave her anything or bought anything from her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

Is this a good plan? Would this ultimately end up with a stronger weapon, or should I just focus on a single aspect, in this case raw?

Raw is probably the best of the non-scaling infusions, really, because it doesn't deal split damage and you don't often have resistances to worry about. Plus, you can buff it with resins and the Magic Weapon spell.

You'll need to use titanite to reinforce it either way, though. You use a gem once to give it an infusion then upgrade with titanite from there.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Will this run well enough with a gtx680? I've been hearing mixed reviews about the performance.

I have a 570, with some bizarre driver tinkering magic I'm pulling 30-40 fps on medium-high.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That's not funny, you fooled me for a second :saddowns:
I don't get the joke but I saw him too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Estraysian posted:

No, I know what triggers it and I never gave her anything or bought anything from her.

Yeah sorry I was thinking about another NPC, after I read your post again I realized you said 'her guardian' so you mean the miracle lady. Hrm, that sucks.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

cram me sideways posted:

There's no single aspect to focus on, the + reinforcement and the infusion are totally separate. You can have a plain old shortsword +4, a raw one +3, fire +2, whatever. Reinforcing is always a straight upgrade, infusion has trade-offs. So yeah, absolutely reinforce your infused gear. If you mean if making that sword in particular to be fire is good, that's a harder question, but my fire longsword has been serving me very well so far, but at some point there's gonna be poo poo it's horrible against, so keeping a few weapons up to par isn't a bad idea.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Will this run well enough with a gtx680? I've been hearing mixed reviews about the performance.

My 660TI works and the games beautiful. After I turned lighting to low in the settings stability improved greatly. It'll work but it'll probably crash. We're all holding out for a patch to fix the bullshit.

But buy the game and fall I love.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man those snakehead fuckers are horrible. They obscure the camera when you get too close and lock-on seems to work against you more times than not, the snakeheads can phase through walls/floors to hit you - and they hit like a motherfucker. Do they drop anything worthwhile?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

When was the last time you dusted your computer's fans? :cheeky:

Its possible if you used an artificial frame limiter, especially if you're playing at 30fps on an old card, go into your driver settings and set refresh rate or vsync to "half refresh rate" (aka 30fps). That'll keep it from running itself ragged and overheating.

If it still overheats after you force a 30fps cap, then either you need to fix your computer fans, or just have some rare hardware bug and have to wait for either FROM or NVIDIA/ATI to fix it.

It's not my hardware, every other game including Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 worked flawlessly. I'll try a frame limiter though, thanks; it's definitely not that I can barely run it, I can go at max with a perfect framerate. I'm using a GTX970, can I do that through the nvidia control panel or do I download a third party software?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't get the joke but I saw him too

There is no joke, I thought he was an npc placed there by the devs to gently caress with people, hence why you can't summon him and the message nearby. Instead it turns out it's just a dude who wants to gently caress with people who coincidentally needs to get a better internet connection.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Jose posted:

I take it it only becomes available once I'm further in the game? Nobody at firelink has aonther key to sell

You have to give her an ash you find in Undead Settlement for her wares to change.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

There's no single aspect to focus on, the + reinforcement and the infusion are totally separate. You can have a plain old shortsword +4, a raw one +3, fire +2, whatever. Reinforcing is always a straight upgrade, infusion has trade-offs. So yeah, absolutely reinforce your infused gear. If you mean if making that sword in particular to be fire is good, that's a harder question, but my fire longsword has been serving me very well so far, but at some point there's gonna be poo poo it's horrible against, so keeping a few weapons up to par isn't a bad idea.

Sounds like the best choice so far is to wait until there are situations in which a fire weapon is good, even necessary, before infusing it.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Zaphod42 posted:

But there's a doggie covenant :3:

The "bug" is you're trying to play a modern next-gen game on ancient hardware. Change your lighting settings to low.

Ok. I haven't even booted it up, I have a 970 so I figure I'll be good then.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Was worried about the PC issues discussed everywhere, but ended up taking the plunge anyway. 980TI with a 5 year old CPU runs everything on max @ 1440p beautifully and no issues a couple of hours in. First time playing one of these games at 60fps and holy moley does it play amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not my hardware, every other game including Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 worked flawlessly. I'll try a frame limiter though, thanks; it's definitely not that I can barely run it, I can go at max with a perfect framerate. I'm using a GTX970, can I do that through the nvidia control panel or do I download a third party software?
man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port :(

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Currently I'm confused on which direction to go. I've killed the tree and otherwise grabbed everything that seems to be about in the Undead Settlement. (Up to five bonfires there.) I haven't yet explored beyond the frost knight beyond where some guy with a hammer gave me a warning, since said frost knight's been pushing my poo poo in. Is that the direction I should be going, or is there another potential route?

Also, while we're talking about GPUs I should mention that I've managed to get the game running on a GTX 460 (a hand-me-down that hasn't been current for several years) :v: With all the settings turned down and only at 30 FPS. :sweatdrop: I suppose it's not unlike playing Dark Souls 1 in that sense, except that the textures aren't so muddy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

double nine posted:

Man those snakehead fuckers are horrible. They obscure the camera when you get too close and lock-on seems to work against you more times than not, the snakeheads can phase through walls/floors to hit you - and they hit like a motherfucker. Do they drop anything worthwhile?

They drop embers sometimes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

There is no joke, I thought he was an npc placed there by the devs to gently caress with people, hence why you can't summon him and the message nearby. Instead it turns out it's just a dude who wants to gently caress with people who coincidentally needs to get a better internet connection.

In the few minutes I had before I hit the heat limit I had one host whose world was two minutes behind. It was interesting.

quote:

man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port

My last few machines failed because the cooling system took a poo poo and melted a hole (literally) through various parts so I'm super paranoid about it. :ohdear:

I did just boot up XCOM2 which didn't raise things at all so at least that's a relief.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is undead settlement a cut section of bloodborne or something

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So...hey...is it just me or is Cleric objectively superior to Herald? Like, the weapon you start with is less clunky, it has a perfectly good shield too, the miracles are better, and it has a hilarious turtle shell, am I missing some reason to go Herald other than a minor boost to defense stats?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

Currently I'm confused on which direction to go. I've killed the tree and otherwise grabbed everything that seems to be about in the Undead Settlement. (Up to five bonfires there.) I haven't yet explored beyond the frost knight beyond where some guy with a hammer gave me a warning, since said frost knight's been pushing my poo poo in. Is that the direction I should be going, or is there another potential route?

Also, while we're talking about GPUs I should mention that I've managed to get the game running on a GTX 460 (a hand-me-down that hasn't been current for several years) :v: With all the settings turned down and only at 30 FPS. :sweatdrop: I suppose it's not unlike playing Dark Souls 1 in that sense, except that the textures aren't so muddy.

Yeah, that guys the only way forward unless you wanna fight something optional and about 50x harder.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Traxis posted:

You have to give her an ash you find in Undead Settlement for her wares to change.

Guess its time to hunt around undead settlement even more then

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Phoix posted:

Yeah, that guys the only way forward unless you wanna fight something optional and about 50x harder.

What optional thing are you referring to?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nachos posted:

Is undead settlement a cut section of bloodborne or something

You ain't seen nothin yet, man.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jose posted:

Guess its time to hunt around undead settlement even more then

Based on this thread I missed a fuckton of stuff there too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How does dual wielding work now? I know powerstance isn't in, but is there anything new to make up for it?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

weekly font posted:

Based on this thread I missed a fuckton of stuff there too.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent there. I think I got everything...

Elman posted:

How does dual wielding work now? I know powerstance isn't in, but is there anything new to make up for it?

Try starting a mercenary really quickly.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Finally got the game working, after updating gfx drivers, and it's almost stable too now.

Anyways, is DS3 incredibly linear or have I just missed a bunch of stuff? So far I've been running around the first area for an hour or two and it seems to railroad you pretty hard. I'm all the way up to the fat knight and the cathedral or whatever near it

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Elman posted:

There are many new weapons that you bring out an off-hand when you 'two hand' them. Dual Swords, Katana + wakasashi, dual scimitars, and more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Between my ninja-hood and ice-sword, I've accidentally created Sub-zero.

RBA Starblade posted:

If you have a 970 then maybe try forcing it to 60fps instead, that could still help even though in theory DS3 is already limited to 60. Or try 30 (half-refresh). Some games have problems with that. Nvidia control panel should be able to do a rough 60 or 30fps cap in the vsync settings somewhere (you have to use vsync), or you can get external software which lets you frame-limit to any arbitrary value, and sometimes limiting to 62 or 59 can help too. Computer gaming is just always kinda tricky.

To FROM's credit, I've had TONS of problems lately with other games too, even though most games run flawlessly. I play Battlefront at 100+ fps on my g-sync monitor at 1440 max settings and it looks beautiful. But then some random game will run like crap, and I have to roll back my drivers. Had to do that twice before DS3 (although DS3 runs fine for me :iiam:) Definitely try rolling back your drivers if you haven't yet.

Don't know if its NVIDIA or Microsoft or who, but somebody is loving up hardcore lately. Its annoying but some troubleshooting can usually work around it?

I'm serious about dust, btw. If you have some canned air, blast that poo poo in there. Its easy to forget about how much dust has accumulated in your machine.

Good luck.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NGDBSS posted:

Check this pro strat for frosty (55:35)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How to beat the first boss: Remove all your armor, and shield if equipped. Double down on exploiting dodge roll iframes by dodging into the attack swings so that you spend less time in danger of being hit. Depending on the weapon, you can get up to three swings before needing to dodge again to avoid death. When the boss goes :ssj: don't panic, just dodge roll whenever the boss model moves at all, paying particular attention to the right and left limbs for animation tells.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Elman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kV0tnvaO0&t=53s

Certain weapons have unique two hand move sets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port :(

My 970 is doing fine, too, but everyone's performance issues are making me paranoid.

This is definitely not a strong port though.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So...hey...is it just me or is Cleric objectively superior to Herald? Like, the weapon you start with is less clunky, it has a perfectly good shield too, the miracles are better, and it has a hilarious turtle shell, am I missing some reason to go Herald other than a minor boost to defense stats?

Herald armor looks cool, and it's not like your starting class matters much beyond the first couple areas. Does the Cleric start with a mace again? Those are usually good starters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Finally got the game working, after updating gfx drivers, and it's almost stable too now.

Anyways, is DS3 incredibly linear or have I just missed a bunch of stuff? So far I've been running around the first area for an hour or two and it seems to railroad you pretty hard. I'm all the way up to the fat knight and the cathedral or whatever near it

There's a ton of side passages and hidden items you may have missed along the way, the levels themselves have tons of winding splintered paths and shortcuts.

The actual game progression itself is pretty linear for a long time, although there's some optional bosses and optional zones to break it up. But the zones themselves should have a few different paths to explore so you might have just missed something.

Even exploring slowly and trying to be observant as I can (I usually end up finding most secrets in my first run just by going over every nook and cranny) there was still a bonfire in the 2nd real zone that I'd missed that I just stumbled on late last night after clearing the entire zone already.

NGDBSS posted:

Frost knight is the right direction. You can always run past him and fight him later. He's like the titanite demon in DS1 at the bottom of andre's that blocks access to darkroot garden. Exactly the same idea.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Reacean posted:

There are many new weapons that you bring out an off-hand when you 'two hand' them. Dual Swords, Katana + wakasashi, dual scimitars, and more.

So dual wielding is about using one weapon but two handing it and magically splitting it in two, instead of putting a weapon in your offhand? I tried actually wielding two weapons for a bit but I couldn't really see a point in it. Maybe that's why, I was just doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

My 970 is doing fine, too, but everyone's performance issues are making me paranoid.

This is definitely not a strong port though.

Herald armor looks cool, and it's not like your starting class matters much beyond the first couple areas. Does the Cleric start with a mace again? Those are usually good starters.

Yea mace, a shield that does its job well enough, and a chime along with the proper heal miracle and the hilarious force one that pushes people around