Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Continuing my campaign of stuff I should've read last year, I slammed through all of Alias last night and it was really good. Compared to the JJ show it was cool seeing her actually just work on random cases.

Kinda makes me respect JJ even more now, since they managed to get a whole 13 hour season out of what ended up being just a 4 issue arc.

One thing I wondered about that I wish I had taken a screen of since I can't remember the issue, it seemed as if in her time as Jewel she may have ran into Thor after he did... something to a woman, which is sketchy af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as important X-Men characters go, I think Moira MacTaggart has been dead for more years than Jean at this point.

Consecutively rather than cumulatively, of course.

"Important."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Banshee's been dead for roundabout a decade by now, unless smacking his corpse with something called a "death seed" has extremely counterintuitive outcomes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Squizzle posted:

Banshee's been dead for roundabout a decade by now, unless smacking his corpse with something called a "death seed" has extremely counterintuitive outcomes.

Didn't he get rezzed with Daken?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Didn't he get rezzed with Daken?

Yeah, except the next time Daken showed up after he was a horseman of Apocalypse with Banshee he looked completely normal and nobody acknowledged him being a horseman and/or coming back from the dead, then Grim Reaper showed up like immediately after Secret Wars in Vision looking completely normal (only to promptly die immediately again). So he should be? Except it seems like nobody wants to acknowledge the time/reason that he came back so I guess in his next appearance he'll just kinda show up and nobody will question anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So in anticipation of the deluge of requests, other than the current series, Hickman's New Avengers and the Oath, what are the essential Doctor Strange stories?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So in anticipation of the deluge of requests, other than the current series, Hickman's New Avengers and the Oath, what are the essential Doctor Strange stories?

Triumph and Torment.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The original. Strange Tales is on Unlimited (#110's where Doc starts)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't say I've ever been a big fan of Strange outside of stuff like Defenders or other crossover/team stuff. I've read the JMS, Waid, and Vaughn minis but didn't really care for any of them. The new Aaron series is fine so far but nothing great. I've head the Roy Thomas, Englehart, and Rogers Stern stuff from the '70s is good but I've not really looked into it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rhyno posted:

Matt Fraction's Defenders is Strange-centric and very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FoneBone posted:

Matt Fraction's Defenders is Strange-centric and very good.

Oooh, I'd forgotten that one! Good suggestion!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked old school trippy Strange from the 70s where you can tell just how much drugs the artists were taking.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

I can't say I've ever been a big fan of Strange outside of stuff like Defenders or other crossover/team stuff. I've read the JMS, Waid, and Vaughn minis but didn't really care for any of them. The new Aaron series is fine so far but nothing great. I've head the Roy Thomas, Englehart, and Rogers Stern stuff from the '70s is good but I've not really looked into it.

You should give the Ditko/Lee originals a look, they aren't nearly as word-dense as some other early Marvel comics, the art is top-notch, and it does a pretty good job getting to the cosmic stuff instead of dorking around with local gangsters or whatever. Although Baron Mordo gets old, fast. I have the first two Showcases and will likely buy the omnibus for pretty colors.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd include the old '80s Doctor Strange story where he kills off Dracula and all other vampires, although I don't have issue numbers handy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Oh yeah that Ennis book with zombie Vikings killing and raping their way through new york. Don't read that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

The original. Strange Tales is on Unlimited (#110's where Doc starts)

To add to this they have started putting up the 70's to 80's run too. Who knows if they will put it all up.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I assume Roger Stern's Doctor Strange must be good because he wrote it around the same time he was writing Spider-Man and Avengers, and those were both very good.

I believe Paul Smith drew a lot of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Triumph and Torment.

Word.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Doctor Strange: Season One is worth a look. The writing feels a little paint by numbers but Emma Rios' art is gorgeous:

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Stern Strange is what got me in, then I checked out the old druggy Dr. Strange of the 70's is great too. Triumph and Torment is pretty good, but I have a hard time recommending it as a "very good book"

But really if anyone is looking for comics based on movie suggestions the Aaron Strange is prob your best bet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Waid and Rios' mini is pretty drat good, but Rios herself is basically MADE to draw Dr Strange. Lady is awesome at doing dreamscape/otherworldly weird poo poo. The Waid story is more rooted in the status quo at the time, though, and sets up a plot thread that's never paid off.

I liked the Strange/Dead Girl mini that Milligan did, as well. And the goofy Defenders mini that I think JMdM and Giffen wrote, but both of those are more comedic.

And hell yes, the original Lee/Ditko run is frickin' amazing and batshit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dr Strange was never better than in Gerber's Defenders but that's true for everyone in that book save maybe The Hulk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

how's the new Aaron/Bachalo series? I'm probably gonna give the first five issues a shot for $10 since it's on sale on comixology right now and those dudes are both generally very good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's not bad, but Aaron's pretty much recycling the first arc in Thor: God of Thunder.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm mostly into Strange for the art. The writing's not bad, it's just not really good enough that I'd pay $4 an issue for it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Speaking of Dr. Strange, comixology is having a 50% off sale on the current run. First five issues for about 10 dollars if you put them into your cart and use the promo code "magic" upon checkout. Only lasts until Friday at 11pm EST.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gwenpool was a very pleasant surprise, and Mockingbird continues to be awesome.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Gwenpool was a very pleasant surprise, and Mockingbird continues to be awesome.

I thought Gwenpool was pretty good too, might wait and get next month's issue before I decide weather or not to subscribe as the last page was a bit of a sudden change of gear.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Anime_Otaku posted:

I thought Gwenpool was pretty good too, might wait and get next month's issue before I decide weather or not to subscribe as the last page was a bit of a sudden change of gear.

Yea, big tonal shift there. I was confused becuase the hacker dude looked way too much like Kamala's friend Bruno.

Is it me or did Deadpool get drawn to look like Ryan Renyolds in ANAD Avengers this week?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

Oh yeah that Ennis book with zombie Vikings killing and raping their way through new york. Don't read that.
Remove the words "with zombie Vikings killing and raping their way through new york" and it'd still be good advice.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I enjoyed Moon Knight. The setup seems pretty conventional for MK but the art is incredible! Is this Smallwood the same artist from the Wood 6-issues last year? because if so how is he so much better than before? Is it just a better script

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mockingbird was a lot of fun this week. I like that between it and Black Widow Marvel has an action thriller lady spy comic and an action comedy lady spy comic.

I also really enjoyed Ben Grimm: Orbital Bombardment in GotG :black101:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So I just read Fractions' 2011 Defenders. Is it just me, or is it Hickman's Avengers + Secret Wars in twelve issues?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw a random panel with Cap Sam, Bucky and back-to-normal-Cap. How'd that happen?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A little child believed in him and told him to be Captain America again, and the strength of that child's naïve wish gave him back his Super Soldier juices.

Also the child was a cosmic cube, in girl shape—a cosmic kid, if you will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cap sure gets a lot of plot developments from Cosmic Cube wishes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

We could also call her a "cosmic cub".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Cap sure gets a lot of plot developments from Cosmic Cube wishes.

Both his current partners are there due to cosmic cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I dunno about Gwenpool. That literal last-page tone shift sure is, uh...let's say...unexpected?

• Locked thread