Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

can we get a 4th ff13?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

can we get a 4th ff13?

We got one, it was called Final Fantasy Type-0.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

We got one, it was called Final Fantasy Type-0.

lightning is not in it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yakuza 4: So you're telling me that even though Saejima walked into the restaurant with six guns and shot eighteen people, he didn't actually kill anybody at all?

I find this plot development somewhat implausible!!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Yakuza 4: So you're telling me that even though Saejima walked into the restaurant with six guns and shot eighteen people, he didn't actually kill anybody at all?

I find this plot development somewhat implausible!!

Yakuza 4's plot is really, really dumb. I like it because it's entertaining but that twist was just too stupid to take the rest of the following drama seriously.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So it's my birthday and I got some money and am looking into finally going back and picking up a lot of the PS3 games I never had a chance to play in the past. Can anyone suggest some good RPGs, particularly some import only titles? I can browse Amazon easy enough for the ones released in North America but it's harder to sift through the Japanese ones looking for something decent.

somewhat related: Are the Wii U or Vita worth getting now if I'm really only interested in RPGs, or should I do like I did with the PS3 and give it til the end of the consoles generation to go back and pick everything up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you're interested in jrpgs the vita is absolutely worth picking up, esp. if you're up for importing some stuff

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The WiiU only has two RPGs in its whole library (not counting last-gen ports), and one of them is still months off.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

The WiiU only has two RPGs in its whole library (not counting last-gen ports), and one of them is still months off.

It is, however, the pinncale of human achievement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Man, you're excited as hell about Paper Mario Color Splash

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Rubber bullets, are you making GBS threads me?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

alcharagia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ktZyll7Lg

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

if you're interested in jrpgs the vita is absolutely worth picking up, esp. if you're up for importing some stuff

Okay, do you have any examples?

Import titles for PS3 are welcome, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ps3 can be... super ugly sometimes

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Why did no one ever tell me about bad boxart Agarest man?

It fits the game's shittyness.

alcharagia posted:

Just pretend everyone was still killed by Saejima and the guy behind the plot just rigged things.
Honestly after that powerful emotional confession scene I think it's ok to ignore the writers trying to make every single protagonist a pure goody two shoes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Saejima earned those 18 kills, this plot cannot and will not take that from him. :colbert:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I didn't read those spoilers and if they are what I think they are, then holy poo poo I'm glad I stopped playing that game. Stupid on top of boring gameplay. By the way you guys are pretty bad at the whole 'spoiler' thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Jokes aside, #FE appears to be a genuinely good, if goofy, game. Even the most scathing impression I've found said that the gameplay was good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything I should know going into Tales of Graces

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sophie's great.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
How's Yakuza 5, by the way? Does its plot finally reattain the levels of batshit insanity previously attained by Yakuza 2?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I would buy a game of nothing but alchemists bonking each other tbh

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there anything I should know going into Tales of Graces

The gameplay as kids isn't really representative of the actual combat system, it's deliberately hobbled. Sophie plays the same though so use her in the child arc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

get the free boost dlc just because it gives you a free point of cc im p. sure and the early game cc counts suck for actually doing combos and stuff

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Motto posted:

Jokes aside, #FE appears to be a genuinely good, if goofy, game. Even the most scathing impression I've found said that the gameplay was good.

hashtag iron.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharp Eff Eee

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

alcharagia posted:

How's Yakuza 5, by the way? Does its plot finally reattain the levels of batshit insanity previously attained by Yakuza 2?

Not really, the plot is a little less dumb then Y4 but its pretty scattershot and I don't think their ever going to match the heights of Y2 plot wise. But its still a really good game I put like 150 hours into.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've forgotten how silly Breath of Fire 3's plot is at times. Not in a bad way either. We have to go find out what's going on with Ryu's unknown past and the dragons! ... But first let's play hide and seek with a tiny robot and then play match-maker with some sailors and... etc etc.

Really fun game. My only knock on it is the encounter rate is brutally high. I got pretty spoiled by Bravely's encounter rate changer and FF7 PS4's "turn off encounters" button, I guess.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

BF3 is sort of like an 80s TV show where you just walk the earth solving problems and every town plays out like a different episode. And then eventually a meta plot resolves itself at the end.

It's different and I like it, even if it feels a bit meandering.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Verranicus posted:

So it's my birthday and I got some money and am looking into finally going back and picking up a lot of the PS3 games I never had a chance to play in the past. Can anyone suggest some good RPGs, particularly some import only titles? I can browse Amazon easy enough for the ones released in North America but it's harder to sift through the Japanese ones looking for something decent.

somewhat related: Are the Wii U or Vita worth getting now if I'm really only interested in RPGs, or should I do like I did with the PS3 and give it til the end of the consoles generation to go back and pick everything up.
How good is your Japanese reading comprehension? Are you willing to get sucked into a neverending black hole of SRPG stages? Do you like robots, especially ones that spit on physics and, in some cases, are literal wizards?

Get Super Robot Wars Original Generations and SRW OG Gaiden for PS2 and SRW OGs 2nd for PS3. See you in five years.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How good is your Japanese reading comprehension? Are you willing to get sucked into a neverending black hole of SRPG stages? Do you like robots, especially ones that spit on physics and, in some cases, are literal wizards?

Get Super Robot Wars Original Generations and SRW OG Gaiden for PS2 and SRW OGs 2nd for PS3. See you in five years.

Too late. I've played every game in the series except the one for 360 and the new mobile one.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tactics Ogre update: Still rad. I'm a few battles into the Law route right now (which is super hosed btw, though I find it kinda hilarious that basically everyone's calling you the Butcher of Golyat after that little mess, because really, who were you gonna fool with that? and I know I've been complimenting the writing a lot, but goddamn am I loving all the unique conversations your story units get when you field them on certain stages. It helps abate the problem with some other SRPGs where your dudes basically completely disappear from the plot once you recruit them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im getting to the end of FF12 for the first time (last time Ive stopped after Archades), International Zodiac version.

It was a fun ride, but it does gets tiresome in the end. I liked the beautiful open locations, the cities (so alive and full of detail), the freedom to go anywhere anytime, the big mysterious optional areas, the amount of sidequests and hunts, the awesome soundtrack.

Combat is never a pain, since its basically plays itself. But is never interesting either. Even boss battles are boring and even the hardest can be won by just letting your guys attack and attack while healing all the time with your best healer. I rarely used quickenings (and when I did, I was very disappointed: they barely do any more damage then regular attacks) and spheres, Techniks are almost useless, offensive magic can be good but are totally not essential, and too many bosses are strong or completely immune to then. It is chilling and kinda fun to watch your party fight (and you are mostly watching), but by late game it got just boring. Thank god for the fast foward button or I would probably have given up. The job system really makes character development a lot more interesting. It also makes it easier early game, and a bit harder late game (when in vanilla every character would be a master of everything). Is never really hard anyway though

But he really worst part is the plot. It starts kinda cool, but never properly develops or explains anything and nobody seems to have any good motivation for anything. By the end you are just going here and there and killing bosses because the game says so and sometimes there is a cool video and some conflict or drama but nothing really matters.

I didnt liked FF10 gameplay much (I was playing it just before 12), but it did managed to tell an interesting story, and I was curious and interested from the beginning to the end. FF12 fails completely at that. Is probably the worst FF plot of all.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 12, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

dmboogie posted:

Tactics Ogre update: Still rad. I'm a few battles into the Law route right now (which is super hosed btw, though I find it kinda hilarious that basically everyone's calling you the Butcher of Golyat after that little mess, because really, who were you gonna fool with that? and I know I've been complimenting the writing a lot, but goddamn am I loving all the unique conversations your story units get when you field them on certain stages. It helps abate the problem with some other SRPGs where your dudes basically completely disappear from the plot once you recruit them.

It's all fun and games now but wait til critical plot details are hidden away in those mid-battle conversations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elias_Maluco posted:

But he really worst part is the plot. It starts kinda cool, but never properly develops or explains anything and nobody seems to have any good motivation for anything. By the end you are just going here and there and killing bosses because the game says so and sometimes there is a cool video and some conflict or drama but nothing really matters.
How do you feel about specifically Dr. Cid?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im getting to the end of FF12 for the first time (last time Ive stopped after Archades), International Zodiac version.

It was a fun ride, but it does gets tiresome in the end. I liked the beautiful open locations, the cities (so alive and full of detail), the freedom to go anywhere anytime, the big mysterious optional areas, the amount of sidequests and hunts, the awesome soundtrack.

Combat is never a pain, since its basically plays itself. But is never interesting either. Even boss battles are boring and even the hardest can be won by just letting your guys attack and attack while healing all the time with your best healer. I rarely used quickenings (and when I did, I was very disappointed: they barely do any more damage then regular attacks) and spheres, Techniks are almost useless, offensive magic can be good but are totally not essential, and too many bosses are strong or completely immune to then. It is chilling and kinda fun to watch your party fight (and you are mostly watching), but by late game it got just boring. Thank god for the fast foward button or I would probably have given up. The job system really makes character development a lot more interesting. It also makes it easier early game, and a bit harder late game (when in vanilla every character would be a master of everything). Is never really hard anyway though

I didnt liked FF10 gameplay much (I was playing it just before 12), but it did managed to tell an interesting story, and I was curious and interested from the beginning to the end. FF12 fails completely at that. Is probably the worst FF plot of all.

The ending does a lot to bring the characters to satisfying conclusions, particularly Ashe and Balthier. You are actually getting out of the long "lull" of the plot, and entering the point where all of the moving pieces finally make their moves. Particularly you have a lot of Doctor Cid in these scenes and his relationship with Balthier adds a lot to both characters.

For me, the gameplay was good enough to keep me going, I loved exploring and finding stuff, so FFXII suited me fine, and the plot going by the wayside was also okay, 'cause it meant I could just do more Hunts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You are actually getting out of the long "lull" of the plot

The lull ends when you see THE END appear on screen, so you're technically correct.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do you feel about specifically Dr. Cid?

He's my favorite cid

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFXII had some cool ideas but it got shortchanged by appearing way late into the PS2's life cycle and it didn't have a distinct visual look in the way that X or XIII had really novel visuals. It's probably the most forgettable Final Fantasy of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

FFXII had some cool ideas but it got shortchanged by appearing way late into the PS2's life cycle and it didn't have a distinct visual look in the way that X or XIII had really novel visuals. It's probably the most forgettable Final Fantasy of all time.

Man, what? FF12 looked amazing when it came out and it looks fantastic now. The world was denser than most game worlds we'd seen to that point; Rabanastre felt like a living city, the huge tracts of land, deep caves and cool forests with distinct visuals are inarguably some of the best features of the game.