Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sakurazuka posted:

I decided that finesse was for the birds and now I'm using my good old DS1 mainstay the club. Just found the reinforced version that has natural bleed too. :getin:

Does the nail bat have the HOLLOW CRUSH TGRGRGGTRGTRFHGGGH Skill R2, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Bleh, thought I had gotten past the crashes but nope, apparently some random abilities (the black cloud things that follow you that some casters use) crash the game. Hope there's a patch coming, loved the game when I could actually play the drat thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Hold down to go to first equipment slot, hold up to go to first spell slot :siren:

Insta Estus/offensive spell.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i used all 5 of the starting cracked red eye orbs and i was very surprised to learn that evidently everyone plays this game with 2 buddy phantoms at all times. getting stomped 3v1 is whatever, but i am amazed that so many people prefer to roll through the game the first time with +2 people watching their back instead of digging through the dungeons on their own. i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, two handing the club will make mince meat of the shielded knights on The Wall, just whack it against their shield a couple of times and it'll stagger them so much it'll act like you parried them and you can get a counter for most of their health. I assume you need reasonable poise for that too.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

homeless poster posted:

i used all 5 of the starting cracked red eye orbs and i was very surprised to learn that evidently everyone plays this game with 2 buddy phantoms at all times. getting stomped 3v1 is whatever, but i am amazed that so many people prefer to roll through the game the first time with +2 people watching their back instead of digging through the dungeons on their own. i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

Some people choose to play games on Easy mode, we must not despise them, but pity their poor souls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless poster posted:

You are only invading people who have used an ember and a disproportionately large portion of those are people who coop since you need to be embered to summon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

Get checked for blood clots in your brain dude.

thats not nice

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

homeless poster posted:

I'm fairly sure you are weighted to 2v1 encounters with the red eye orb. Mound makers, I know, does this and tries to add you to games with the highest number of phantoms first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

scamtank posted:

Does the nail bat have the HOLLOW CRUSH TGRGRGGTRGTRFHGGGH Skill R2, too?

Yup, only downside is it's one of the least durable weapons I've seen but I haven't used it enough yet to find out how much of a problem that is.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i have no loving idea where to go in cathedral of the deep. already found the covenant but as far as i can tell the rafters don't go anywhere and I have no idea where I am

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

homeless poster posted:

I always pick up phantoms because I figure they're just dudes trying to get themselves kindled again and see how other guys are doing poo poo, just like I aim to when I drop a sign. If helping out is fun for them, why deny them the opportunity?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pretend I said nothing

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Quote is not edit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna be really mad if you can't kill that archer in Undead Settlement. That fucker even shoots at you when you're an invading phantom! :argh:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

homeless poster posted:

I feel no pity for you or anyone like you. A lot of people just want to have fun with jolly co-operation at release, and people like the guy named 'Hitler' that just came in and stood by a miniboss waiting for me to progress last night are annoying trolls that deserve every 1v3 they face. It's actually quite fun to fool around with or as a white phantom early in DS3 when people have no idea what's going on. It's rewarding to help each other out and you can still lead the exploration if you prefer, too. Praise the Sun.

Also, I read that invasion mechanics prioritize invading people with more phantoms first, so that's why you're getting so many 1v3's. But, does reading it in spoilers instead of figuring that out on your own detract from your enjoyment? Philosophical question...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Even on minimum settings w/ a ti? Dang

Giant Isopod posted:

Maybe a little late (this thread moves fast) but I got it to a playable framerate with a 560 ti by cranking all settings to low and overclocking. Probably going to set it on fire, but it only has to last until new card arrives.

Same, see my earlier post in thread. It's playable enough that I'll play tonight, but happily plug in my new card when it comes in the mail tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll try dropping below 1366x768 tonight, as I'd rather have it smooth and ugly as hell than choppy and ugly as heck.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah, two handing the club will make mince meat of the shielded knights on The Wall, just whack it against their shield a couple of times and it'll stagger them so much it'll act like you parried them and you can get a counter for most of their health. I assume you need reasonable poise for that too.

Deprived owns, club owns. I didn't get to play Bloodborne and in other Souls games usually took the coward's way of being Havel. It's nice to be able to roll 5 times in a row and still have stamina to smash a guy in the face.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thumbtacks posted:

i have no loving idea where to go in cathedral of the deep. already found the covenant but as far as i can tell the rafters don't go anywhere and I have no idea where I am

Go and play with the giants.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm gonna be really mad if you can't kill that archer in Undead Settlement. That fucker even shoots at you when you're an invading phantom! :argh:

helps any time :3:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
there is a giant in this church

why

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Finally getting to play. Tutorial boss was sweet looking. No deaths yet. :smug:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Can't wait to start this tonight, it's my first real Souls game after Boodborne. What do you guys recommend for a "Bloodborne"-alike build, as in I don't want to creep forward a step at a time with a shield held up but instead want to flip all around like a chimp on adderall.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Can't wait to start this tonight, it's my first real Souls game after Boodborne. What do you guys recommend for a "Bloodborne"-alike build, as in I don't want to creep forward a step at a time with a shield held up but instead want to flip all around like a chimp on adderall.

mercenary scimitar dual wielding

have fun good luck

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Agh, lost connection to the server in the middle of a boss battle while I was about to win, when I re-connected my health and estus were still gone but I was outside the boss room :negative:

Oh well ran back and chumped the boss again anyways like a boss.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I don't know that that is really a build question as much as a gear question. Just keep your weight below 70%(?) and roll as much as you'd like.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Equip weight is in Souls games and you want to keep it low (below 30%) to zip around with quick fast rolls. Depending on how much gear you want to carry that requires an investment in VIT.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Amazon still hadn't shipped my copy so I canceled it and walked over to the Target near work to get it. Target gives you the strategy guide for free. I haven't seen one of these things since middle school. It's freakin huge.

There's maps. Disgusting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Btw R2 attacks can be held down and charged like in BB, lots of people don't seem to have noticed this yet. Pretty powerful for catching people off guard with an extra-long delayed swing in pvp, and it hits extra hard too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is surprisingly hard to catch someone just rolling around.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

what weapons are you greatsword users using, i'm liking my claymore +3

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Deprived. Always deprived.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The difference between deprived and knight is ridiculous, not only are you better geared but the first boss misses most attacks at point blank range on a knight where your deprived can roll behind him during the leap attack and he'll twist and hit you anyway. Deprived run: 47 minutes and counting. Knight run: 3 minutes to kill the boss and set the bonfire.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The Lothric knights sure have some good armor, looks nice too. Took forever to get a helmet, eventually the blue one near the boss dropped one, after I got multiples of every single other drop they had including 5 chest armors.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if you die as a red phantom in this game, you lose all your souls and they don't get left as a bloodstain. Kind of sucks since you can't just looking invasions while exploring unless you don't care about souls.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you die as a red phantom in this game, you lose all your souls and they don't get left as a bloodstain. Kind of sucks since you can't just looking invasions while exploring unless you don't care about souls.

uh, i've definitely retrieved my souls from a bloodstain after getting killed while invading

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
The upgrade material costs are killin' me.

I wanted to switch from the claymore to the large club to focus on STR, so I farmed up the shards in the settlement to get it to +2, and a great machete drops.

Please tell me there's an infinite small shards unlock soon.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Yo hey any tips on how to get the firekeeper set I tried and tried last night but all I got out of it was 99 hollowing

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

what weapons are you greatsword users using, i'm liking my claymore +3

Executioner Greatsword is super good and has FP leech. Can't infuse it but at +10 it has B str scaling, which isn't bad.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Internet Kraken posted:

The stain drops where you died in the other player's world, it's a bad and dumb change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Yo hey any tips on how to get the firekeeper set I tried and tried last night but all I got out of it was 99 hollowing

You need to be further left than you think you do, and try rolling off instead of jumping