Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes they do. If you've never had to saw through a bolt or hasp or something with just a broken blade and some jesus tape to protect your hand I don't know what to tell you except it works just fine. It's not very pleasant or fast but it'll do the job.

And the lifehack experience is only marginally less lovely.

If for whatever reason I felt the need to carry a pocket saw, I’d spend $8–$20 on something with a stiffer blade.

What I’m saying is that this is the Platonic ideal of a stupid life hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
#shankhax

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It seems like the real life hack would be to buy only the dollar store padlocks to prevent crimes of opportunity, or else invent your own novel security schemes because any commercial product you buy has a YouTube video showing how to break it in 2 minutes with a less than dadly collection of power tools.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Put landmines in your yard to deter criminals #warcrimehax

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lifehack: don't own anything worth stealing and no one will rob you :)

:smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want someone to interact with you, try being interesting enough that they don't look for entertainment elsewhere.

You kids need to come up with a better comeback for when someone says "stop staring at your goddamn phones" because this one has already been run into the loving ground

The Snoo posted:

lifehack: don't own anything worth stealing and no one will rob you :)

:smith:

Nope. Trust me on this one. They will :smith:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Padlock your box at night #lifehack

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You kids need to come up with a better comeback for when someone says "stop staring at your goddamn phones" because this one has already been run into the loving ground

Funnily enough, "stop staring at your goddamn phones" has been run into the loving ground as well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is this where someone makes a joke about circumcision and tipping? Are phones one of those things now?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Come on, snapchat your tip.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you have a Prince Albert, don't put a lovely padlock through it.

Trust me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

Trust me.

Also, don't make a prince Albert out of a prince Rupert.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

titties posted:

Are you even capable of looking another person in the eye

Yes but unlike you I don't walk up to people in restaurants and stare them down while they eat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I dunno maybe my life is different but I find my phone has more use than a pocket knife possibly would. I guess that's probably because I don't like in the woods and have to hunt my food like an animal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

captainOrbital posted:

Trust me.

Lifehack: If money is tight, fashion a Prince Albert out of a lovely padlock. #dickhax

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey, can I borrow two wrenches?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BioEnchanted posted:

LIFEHACK: If Screaming Idiot is having a meltdown challenge him to a competition. You will attempt to tie him up with increasingly powerful chains and if he fails to break out of one he loses. You may need to allow him to have one of Literally a Bird's wings in his mouth as insurance however.

Wait a sec, how did I get involved here :saddowns:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
LIFEHACK: Play World of Warcraft with Screming Idiot for a few months, he is an okay guy in small to medium doses. :)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yes but unlike you I don't walk up to people in restaurants and stare them down while they eat.

I just want them to look at me.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What do you mean something like this?

e: vvvv hey birdo nice mod icon! Is that new?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Apr 12, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

MariusLecter posted:

LIFEHACK: Play World of Warcraft with Screming Idiot for a few months, he is an okay guy in small to medium doses. :)

SI has been a good friend to me in the past but I'd rather not put my anything in anybody's mouth

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Karate Bastard posted:

e: vvvv hey birdo nice mod icon! Is that new?

Thanks!! No, not super new, zen death robot distributed a bunch of custom mod icons a while back :3:

e: frosting lifehacks! who doesn't love frosting

quote:

Follow this chart to make literally any color of frosting.

quote:

If you don’t have food coloring, you can use Jell-O to color frosting.

quote:

Don’t have any frosting? Just sprinkle some powdered sugar through lace for this amazing design.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/life-changing-baking-hacks-everyone-needs-to-know

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The lifehack part is one thing, but that... "food" :barf:

What the hell is it, even--aside from all over the driver's lap and the seat/floor around them the first time they turn more than 10° left or right, that is?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Hm.

Hmmmm...

Hm. :crossarms:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Wait a sec, how did I get involved here :saddowns:

I needed the forum equivalent of Tyr, the Norse god who allowed his hand to be in Fenrir's jaws so he'd go along with their game. You were this thread's primary mod, so you became Tyr. I was saying you're a norse goddess for the purposes of the joke.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Magnus Praeda posted:

The lifehack part is one thing, but that... "food" :barf:

What the hell is it, even--aside from all over the driver's lap and the seat/floor around them the first time they turn more than 10° left or right, that is?

And scalds their schlong with hot slop when hitting the autopark feature "by accident".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BioEnchanted posted:

I needed the forum equivalent of Tyr, the Norse god who allowed his hand to be in Fenrir's jaws so he'd go along with their game. You were this thread's primary mod, so you became Tyr. I was saying you're a norse goddess for the purposes of the joke.

oh, well thank you :buddy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

SI has been a good friend to me in the past but I'd rather not put my anything in anybody's mouth

Put your yellow Lego castle in their mouth.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
LIFEHACK: tired of stepping on sharp little lego bricks? melt your lego collection down into a black bubbling and smoking puddle you loving moron grow the gently caress up

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

titties posted:

E: not that there's anything wrong with having / using a phone but holy poo poo is it annoying to go out to dinner and sitting there while everyone under 35 or so looks at their phone the entire time and most of the conversations is "hey do you want to get in my snapchat picture" "oh look we made the city story"

lifehack: interact with other humans in the physical space walla

I bet you don't even own a television.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Palpek has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Guy Mann posted:

I OWN A WALL OF TELEVISIONS EACH ONE TUNED TO A DIFFERENT CHANNEL AND I SIT BEFORE THEM MY EYES PINNED OPEN SO I CAN DRINK IN ALL THE WORLD'S INFORMATION WITH MY THIRSTY EYES AND SOON I SHALL HAVE ALL THE WORLD'S INFORMATION TRAPPED INSIDE MY SKULL WHERE IT MIXES WITH MY DELICIOUS BANDWIDTH AND THEN I SHALL VOMIT IT INTO YOUR BRAINS WHERE YOU SHALL BECOME MY ENLIGHTENED EQUALS AND THE COSMOS WILL BEND TO OUR WILL

lifehack: stay informed about world events by watching all television at once

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

titties posted:

Are you even capable of looking another person in the eye

titties posted:

I just want them to look at me.

Good post/username combos.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Guy Mann posted:

I own 6 of them you have been ownt

E: a lot of people (not just you) seem like they have a lot of sand getting all gritty in their body parts about having their continuous phone tether questioned. Phones are good and useful and I have had several of them myself since 2001 or so.

I just don't see the appeal of carrying a device that demands your attention every 30 seconds because your facebook / snapchat / tumblr / twitter / instagram / grindr / aim / ICQ / cafe game just updated and there's no way you can possibly ignore it in order to experience the activity you're doing irl.

People can say "maybe you could be more interesting" all they want, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with me. You could observe this behavior yourself if you weren't too busy streaming three and-a-half men or big bang every second of your life.

titties has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Apr 13, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you can't see the hypocrisy in getting indignant at people not engaging you on your terms when you refuse to engage them on theirs then I don't know what to tell you. Hope you're comfy up on your pedestal looking down on all those knuckled-dragging troglodytes with their snapchats and their network television sitcoms.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

who could hope to be more engaging than modern television?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besides, most people who are on their phones or iPads 24/7 are engaging with people. It's not like everyone is an unfeeling automaton unable to connect to other humans any more. Most of the time I'm engaged in simultaneous (if relatively slow-going) conversations with 2 people on top of whatever I'm doing in real life. I'm able to keep up with my friends constantly and keep in touch whether or not they move or end up in the hospital, and we can speak with gaps of only a few seconds or minutes between messages instead of waiting days or weeks for letters to be exchanged. If anything, social media and our constant internet tethers have only made us more social.

And it's not like in the past everyone gave you their full, undivided attention 100% of the time anyway. If someone didn't have something to say, they'd just stay silent or wander around finding something else to do (like reading a book or looking at poo poo around them) while waiting for the conversation to continue or decide that it's ended. It's just that now people are filling those gaps with more conversation with other people who aren't in the room. It's like the people who were upset that everyone read newspapers or books while riding trains instead of engaging in conversation with other passengers. Like no, people didn't abandon striking up conversation with strangers for reading. They just plain didn't talk.

So yeah, you've joined yet another generation decrying this generation for not behaving in a way that didn't actually exist outside of rose-colored glasses for the good ol' days.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

abort thread, abort

quote:

quote:

You can use AAA batteries instead of AA ones, just fill the gaps with tin foil

quote:

The most amazing way to cut cherry tomatoes

quote:

quote:

The funniest way to peel eggs: create a small hole at the top of a boiled egg and a large one at the bottom. Blow into the small hole and watch the egg pop out!

http://justsomething.co/30-brilliant-life-hacks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

[Timg]http://i.imgur.com/I3NTDgN.jpg[/url][/timg]

Hmmm yes, I definitely think this would work and not just end up with powdered sugar scattered everywhere like some sort of coke-fueled baking session.