Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

alt-right has more compelling memes

There exists a meme gap...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

If anyone thought the LDS church went batshit in its interference with the Prop 8 stuff and other gay rights issues, just wait until the polygymy battle hits the mainstream and becomes a Leftist cause. For the LDS, gay rights were a political and moral issue, whereas the fight against polygamists is seen as being an existential one. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the government, which so far has benefitted from their allyship in anti-polygymy enforcement, turns on them and starts trying to legislate in favor of multiple-marriages. We've already seen non-fundamentalist LDS separatism in the Bundys, I imagine that could escalate if American culture continues to drift towards alternate-lifestyle inclusion.

There's 6 million Mormons in America, let's say 10% are fundamentalist and want polygamy legalized and there's various other fringe religions that want the same but hardly a material amount. I don't understand how .0013% of the population is going to to have any fluence, much less why left, going to join religious right wing zealots in helping them with all the other issues at hand that matter.

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.
i would adopt baby hitler and raise him as a jew

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rubber Tucky posted:

i would adopt baby hitler and raise him as a jew

I would raise him to be what he feels inside his heart, Trumps VP.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

RACHET posted:

There's 6 million Mormons in America, let's say 10% are fundamentalist and want polygamy legalized and there's various other fringe religions that want the same but hardly a material amount. I don't understand how .0013% of the population is going to to have any fluence, much less why left, going to join religious right wing zealots in helping them with all the other issues at hand that matter.

This issue matters to more than just Mormons. What do you do if someone from a nation where polygamy is legal moves here with multiple spouses? It is not a theoretical question. Generally, at least one spouse gets shafted in terms of inheritance and other rights accorded to married couples.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
You guys see that new Hitler movie LOOK WHOS BACK?

I think that guy should do his shtick at Trump rallies and see how many people agree to follow him.

E: He may even have some success at Bernie rallies...

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

RACHET posted:

The Mormons have outsized political influence in American politics for the same reason that the 1% do: Bloomberg says they have about a $40 billion net worth, and rake in $8 billion per year with tithes. They are the fastest growing religion in America, and likely will be the dominant Christian denomination by the end of the century (their growth has almost exactly mirrored that of the early Christian cults in the Roman Empire: if that holds, then they're exponential growth is right on the tipping point of rocketing them to being a major world religion).

It's a HUGE DEAL that the Republican Nominee for the President of the US was a Mormon and received 47.2% of the popular vote, considering that Mormons were trying to establish their own North American theocratic state only 160-odd years ago(and of course Utah functions as a US State in the same way that Colorado City functions as a part of Arizona: in name only).

But yeah, Salt Lake was unable to keep gay marriage from becoming a thing, and there's a good chance that they'll eventually fail to keep Polygymy from becoming a legalized institution. I'm just saying, if that happens then there's a chance that all the work that the LDS has done to become a normalized religion could unravel, since there is nothing Mormons despise more than polygymists.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

This issue matters to more than just Mormons.

Muslims and Mormons, old testament conservatives, libertarians, and some leftists groups. That is surely a winning coalition that I can see working very well together.

quote:

What do you do if someone from a nation where polygamy is legal moves here with multiple spouses? It is not a theoretical question. Generally, at least one spouse gets shafted in terms of inheritance and other rights accorded to married couples.

American's don't care about your other country with your non-American rules and cultures.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Also sub-saharan Africans. Of course we both know Americans don't care about the lives of immigrants and minorities. The question is, do you?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i won't pretend that i know all about what's bleeding edge in our pop culture, but i feel like the only person i have heard bring up polygamy as the next big culture war thing is you. other than the awful "sister wives" TLC show that my wife continues to DVR, i can't even think of a well known cultural touchstone that uses polygamy as a central theme in a positive way. i know polygamy has been around for as long as lifeforms have used sexual reproduction, but i'm not seeing any amount of overt or obvious support for polygamy, or anyone not considered to be a member of a fringe element seriously requesting that polygamy be legalized.

outside of the nation of deseret or isolated communities in AZ/NM, what makes you think polygamy is the next big cultural thing?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

Also sub-saharan Africans. Of course we both know Americans don't care about the lives of immigrants and minorities. The question is, do you?

Their culture sucks and they should adopt western values if they want to live in western country.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Squalid posted:

This issue matters to more than just Mormons. What do you do if someone from a nation where polygamy is legal moves here with multiple spouses? It is not a theoretical question. Generally, at least one spouse gets shafted in terms of inheritance and other rights accorded to married couples.

If you're talking about Muslims, polygamous refugees and polygamous immigrants aren't a statistically significant number to influence any political party. It's a bizarre thing to bring up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
GE update:

https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/720000128006930432

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Trump's on fire tonight. He went through the whole conservative treehouse "Florida is 99 WTA to ensure Jeb or Rubio had a failsafe" GOPe roadmap thing.

Also, "Marco's okay...he just went Don Rickles for a few days, but we went heavy Don Rickles back"

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

CD2 still in play!

Crucial CD2.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oiled and Ready posted:

Also, "Marco's okay...he just went Don Rickles for a few days, but we went heavy Don Rickles back"

I'm thinking they were more Uncle Milty, except for the huge penis

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

homeless poster posted:

i won't pretend that i know all about what's bleeding edge in our pop culture, but i feel like the only person i have heard bring up polygamy as the next big culture war thing is you. other than the awful "sister wives" TLC show that my wife continues to DVR, i can't even think of a well known cultural touchstone that uses polygamy as a central theme in a positive way. i know polygamy has been around for as long as lifeforms have used sexual reproduction, but i'm not seeing any amount of overt or obvious support for polygamy, or anyone not considered to be a member of a fringe element seriously requesting that polygamy be legalized.

outside of the nation of deseret or isolated communities in AZ/NM, what makes you think polygamy is the next big cultural thing?

Yeah this had me scratching my head too. I feel like he's confusing people who are polyamorous with people who want legalized polygamy, maybe?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

I'm taking the line about how it should be someone running for president as an endorsement for Jeb and I hope the delegates do too

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Montasque posted:

Rush has been defending Cruz all show.

Trump supporter called in and was so pissed off he hung up on Rush. This never happens, no one hangs up on EL RUSHBO.

Good times!

I hope the caller went: "TRUMP!" *click*.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
So Ryan will be running as an independent then. :getin:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

homeless poster posted:

Well, I'm extrapolating from millenials perchant for polyamory. And while, yeah, polyamory does not equal polygamy necessarily, it seems really logical to me that when the amount of polyamorous couples reaches 5-10% of the population that they'll start wanting to "make it official" in the eyes of the US government. It also stems from the fact that the best argument for gay marriage (government has no business legislating what consenting adults can and cannot do, and the legal definition of 'marriage' shouldn't be defined by religious groups' conception of morality) is 100% applicable to polygamist unions.

You're right that it that polygamist rights don't seem to be a "hot button" issue in mainstream discourse just yet, but eventually the Left is going to need another cause to villainize bigots over, and multiple-marriage seems like a natural fit.

edit:

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah this had me scratching my head too. I feel like he's confusing people who are polyamorous with people who want legalized polygamy, maybe?
Not confusing the two, but just hypothesizing that eventually such a large movement is going to want to be recognized by the government via marriage. I could be wrong.

Trumps Baby Hands fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Not confusing the two, but just hypothesizing that eventually such a large movement is going to want to be recognized by the government via marriage. I could be wrong.

I think the mindset behind polyamory and the mindset behind polygamy are really different though, to the extent that if polyamory ever became a political movement, it would be pushing the other direction (dissolving the institution of marriage altogether, at least in any kind of a legal sense).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

Personally I'd abort baby hitler

You gotta step up, man!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

I was hearing this all day - did 65,000 people actually vote in the caucuses?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think the mindset behind polyamory and the mindset behind polygamy are really different though, to the extent that if polyamory ever became a political movement, it would be pushing the other direction (dissolving the institution of marriage altogether, at least in any kind of a legal sense).

It could go along the lines of "the 4 of us are a committed polygamous group and would like to legally be allowed to make hospital visits when one of us is ill, etc" but probably not for a long time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

If you're talking about Muslims, polygamous refugees and polygamous immigrants aren't a statistically significant number to influence any political party. It's a bizarre thing to bring up.

If they're able to win a fight in the courts they won't need a big political coalition on their side. However I'm not really trying to argue that polygamy is going to become a major political issue. I just want to point out that it is a serious issue, and maybe our current policy should be reevaluated.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90857818

quote:

For example, Sally's husband moved to the United States from the Ivory Coast before she did. When Sally joined him, she found he had married someone else in America. But without legal immigration papers, she didn't dare come forward and report him to the authorities.

She said when she arrived in the U.S., her husband and his new wife put her in the basement.

"They told me to cook, clean, do everything. I didn't speak English. And he told me, 'Don't say nothing. You say something, she's going make you deported. And me, I'm going to be in jail.'"

Eventually, Sally left the house with her children, and now works at a hair braiding salon. But that fear of deportation prevents many from leaving their polygamous relationships.

"Legally, they're invisible," says Julie Dinnerstein, a senior attorney for Sanctuary for Families. "If you are the second or third or fourth wife, that marital relationship is not going to be recognized for immigration purposes. It means if your husband is a citizen or green card holder, he can't sponsor you. It means if your husband gets asylum, you don't get asylum at the same time. The man is always going to be in a position of greater power."

If these relationships could be made legible to the justice system it would help protect those involved. And that is worth considering irregardless of political expediency.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'd imagine you'd see a lot of rich people using polygamy as a way to avoid taxes so that would be a fun thing to straighten out

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Al! posted:

I'd imagine you'd see a lot of rich people using polygamy as a way to avoid taxes so that would be a fun thing to straighten out

You can't try a husband and wife and wife and wife and husband and husband for the same crime! Brilliant!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
A movement to legalize polygamy will start getting taken seriously once the millenials that want a secular flavor of it start outnumbering the M-religions where it's essentially a subjugation tool, which is to say, not for a long-rear end time.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Al! posted:

Much cheaper to marry the mistress too than deal with a cheating sex scandal

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Overlooking the whole "tool of oppression" thing isn't impotent old Crusades cosplayers stockpiling wives a big reason why sexually frustrated young men turn to blowing themselves up in the Middle East?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dalaram posted:

Much cheaper to marry the mistress too than deal with a cheating sex scandal

turns out family values republicans just had values that included polygamy

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Al! posted:

Having to revise the tax code is legit the best argument against polygymy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How to lose a lot of support in the GOP

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinPasciak/status/719956138947686400

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Personally I'd abort baby hitler

At least let NML apologize to and defend baby hitler before aborting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought Mormonism was only "growing" because it's impossible for defectors to get removed from the rolls, and they count dead people who get baptized posthumously as Mormon

The only really solidly growing "religion" in the US anymore is atheism

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Z. Autobahn posted:

Could be, but god, that'd be a hell of a losing arguement, because then they'd ACTUALLY be doing what the conservatives always accused marriage equality advocates of: threatening current straight marriages.

Also it's funny to be discussing polygamy and mormonism with a person sporting your fine avatar.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I thought Mormonism was only "growing" because it's impossible for defectors to get removed from the rolls, and they count dead people who get baptized posthumously as Mormon

You have to send in a letter of resignation if you want to leave and be struck from their records.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

If they're able to win a fight in the courts they won't need a big political coalition on their side. However I'm not really trying to argue that polygamy is going to become a major political issue. I just want to point out that it is a serious issue, and maybe our current policy should be reevaluated.

You know what's a serious issue, everything that's not polygamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

at this point i'm guessing he's trying to build a brand for a future presidential run. he knows he has little to no hope this time around, but once the dust settles from the trumpocalypse, he might have some, "see? shoulda gone with me!:smug:" cred.

Epic High Five posted:

from what i've been reading it's less that atheism is growing and more that more people are just "unaffiliated" - agnostic, spiritual but not religious, etc.

• Locked thread