Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
My CEO will be on Rachel Maddow tonight at 8pm CST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

My Imaginary GF posted:

What the hell has Sanders done or said within the past month which gave ya that idea?

I feel confident Sanders that Sanders is a demagogue who will take a 3% shot at being President even if it means turning a 90% shot for a Democratic President into a sub-50 race.

Um I don't think you're allowed to ask someone for evidence, and then make an equally ridiculous point on the other side of the spectrum without evidence.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Teflon Don posted:

Should we cheer or boo him?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Teflon Don posted:

Do you mean CPT?

By the way, that's how it's referred to by people. It's just one of those things, phrasing-wise. My black friends have joked about it w/ me and vice-versa. But that's an established relationship, not some public event.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Um I don't think you're allowed to ask someone for evidence, and then make an equally ridiculous point on the other side of the spectrum without evidence.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/06/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-qualified/

quote:

Bernie Sanders is standing by his criticism that Hillary Clinton isn't "qualified" to be president as the Democratic presidential candidates engage in an increasingly heated battle ahead of the New York primary.

But by Thursday night, the Vermont senator said he didn't want to engage in a tit-for-tat with Clinton, telling CBS News they should be "debating the issues facing the American people."

Translation for those without a political awareness: Sanders wants to win more than he cares about winning in the appropriate manner for the office he claims to seek, and is aware enough to know naked desire is a turnoff for most Democratic primary voters.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Do you mean CPT?

By the way, that's how it's referred to by people. It's just one of those things, phrasing-wise. My black friends have joked about it w/ me and vice-versa. But that's an established relationship, not some public event.

There's a simple rule to live by if you wanna avoid gaffes: Only talk about races other than your own in a strength-based manner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Not that people shouldn't be offended, but I think pretty much every ethnicity has a "we are always 15 minutes late" joke about themselves. At least I've heard it from a very wide range of people.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

How the gently caress is calling folk "colored" supposed to be funny? That just sounds racist to me.

The joke isn't that people are colored. It's a joke that only works if you know CPT means colored people time. DeBlasio says "I'm on CPT", makes you think he's saying something racist, then Clinton reveals he actually meant "cautious politician time," there's nothing in the joke that actually says anything bad about any race. If the joke was "Deval Patrick just endorsed me. About time. He must be on CPT." and then it just stopped there, that would be very racist and bad. As it is, it isn't racist in and of itself, but it does rely on you knowing a bit of racist history and is therefore not a good idea. But I don't think this changes anyone's mind about anybody here the way a worse joke might.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hellblazer187 posted:

The joke isn't that people are colored. It's a joke that only works if you know CPT means colored people time. DeBlasio says "I'm on CPT", makes you think he's saying something racist, then Clinton reveals he actually meant "cautious politician time," there's nothing in the joke that actually says anything bad about any race. If the joke was "Deval Patrick just endorsed me. About time. He must be on CPT." and then it just stopped there, that would be very racist and bad. As it is, it isn't racist in and of itself, but it does rely on you knowing a bit of racist history and is therefore not a good idea. But I don't think this changes anyone's mind about anybody here the way a worse joke might.

A second rule for avoiding gaffes: Only use acronyms after defining them to your audience.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Nevermind they rescheduled.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
de Blasio/Biden 2016 - everything we say is a gaffe and we'll still win

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Forget it

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Racism in a joke is still racist, even when it's not in the punchline.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

I'm really dissapointed that my mayor would crack such an unseemly kind of racist joke

Yes it's very uncommon for New York types to have such foul language

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Yes it's very uncommon for New York types to have such foul language

I would think a guy in the interracial marriage with mixed kids might be a little more sensitive about racist jokes

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Tobermory posted:

This obviously doesn't excuse it, but de Blasio might think he can get away with a joke like this because his wife is black.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's real bad form, but like you don't come up with that joke unless you live with or frequently have events with a Black family.

I don't speak for my entire race, but :shrug: I just can't get outraged at it. I cringed hard as hell, was embarrassed for that whole situation, but not really angry.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Why yes, DeBlasio does fit under the bus quite nicely thank you.

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/720004662577991682

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Dexo posted:

It's real bad form, but like you don't come up with that joke unless you live with or frequently have events with a Black family.

I don't speak for my entire race, but :shrug: I just can't get outraged at it. I cringed hard as hell, was embarrassed for that whole situation, but not really angry.

"Don, what we just witnessed was a joke made by a white man that has a possibility of offending black people. What are the black folks saying about this joke?"

"Well Jim, I just pulled aside this one single solitary black man and he says he's okay with it, but followed that by saying it was a bad joke overall and he cringed rather than laughed."

"I'm sorry Don that wasn't the response we were looking for, are there any black college students around you to ask?"

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

What the hell, is CPT a New York thing? I grew up in central Maryland and never heard of it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tobermory posted:

There's racism in the joke in that it makes a reference to some racism in our culture. However, nothing about the joke actually says anything racist itself. There's nothing in the joke itself that suggests that black people are late all the time. So, I'm not going to say there's no racism involved, but I don't think it indicates racist attitudes on the part of anyone involved.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Peepers posted:

What the hell, is CPT a New York thing? I grew up in central Maryland and never heard of it.

My dad used to say it making fun of my very white cousin who was late all the time. My dad is from NY. So, probably I guess.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Peepers posted:

It is used frequently in South Carolina.

A Charleston County School Board member used it in a meeting years back in a meeting. EVERYONE knew what it was, and she tried to walk it back as "Certain People Time"...as in 'certain people who are never on time :haw:.

It didn't work and she was crushed under public scrutiny over it.

It's definitely not just a NY thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr. Peepers posted:

In Illinois and hear/use it all the time as a joke in black spaces.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hear it somewhat regularly. Last time I heard it was from a buddy I was getting lunch with who showed up 15 minutes late to it to complain about how long the food took to get there

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Dexo posted:

In Illinois and hear/use it all the time as a joke in black spaces.

I'm in NY (and am white) and have even heard it in spaces that predominately black but mixed.

Also, this is totally a thing all cultural groups do. The speeches at pretty much every Bar Mitzvah I've been to have started with someone apologizing for being on Jewish People Time causing a late start.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you've haven't heard of CPT, I'm sorry that you have no black friends. That's how I was first introduced to it. "Hey man, sorry I'm late. Running on CPT" "CPT?" "explanation here"

But yeah, it was dumb as hell to do.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I only heard it second hand but wasn't the whole thing one really ill-advised awkward bit? Like including the responses?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/on-de-blasio-and-clintons-cp-time-joke.html

seems to think so.

This makes it seem less overtly racist and more just really really tone deaf and stupid.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
He obviously wasn't intending to insinuate black people are lazy or reinforce the CPT concept for a white audience, if you have the slightest ounce of political awareness it's perfectly clear what he's saying and where he's coming from. The baffling part is that de Blasio thought it would be a good idea to do a somewhat risque "who's on first" routine with Hillary Clinton while she runs for President.

JamesKPolk posted:

I only heard it second hand but wasn't the whole thing one really ill-advised awkward bit? Like including the responses?

Yeah, it was all a scripted bit.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 12, 2016

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Periodiko posted:

He obviously wasn't intending to insinuate black people are lazy or reinforce the CPT concept for a white audience, if you have the slightest ounce of political awareness it's perfectly clear what he's saying and where he's coming from. The baffling part is that de Blasio thought it would be a good idea to do a somewhat risque "who's on first" routine with Hillary Clinton while she runs for President.

Well Clinton was asking him why he was so late so it could've just been some really subtle trolling or snub.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. In SoFla it's "Cuban Time".

Still dumb, politically. It's a 'microaggression' as opposed to a blatant "look at macaca over there" so while there may not be actual malice, he really should know better.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Jesus Christ why can't people just admit it was a racist joke. If it was a republican saying it I doubt you have this kind of hand wringing.

The joke is that you're subverting the (presumed) typical expectation that black people are lazy and don't show up to things on time.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

uninterrupted posted:

Jesus Christ why can't people just admit it was a racist joke. If it was a republican saying it I doubt you have this kind of hand wringing.

The joke is that you're subverting the (presumed) typical expectation that black people are lazy and don't show up to things on time.

Yeah, and subverting racism is not racism. It's, like, the opposite.

And yeah, it matters whether a joke is told by a black person, Bill de Blasio, or Mitch McConnell. Context matters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House just passed H.R.4676, the Preventing Crimes Against Veterans Act of 2016, by a narrow vote of 411 to 0. Another feather in the cap of Madisonian democracy.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

The House just passed H.R.4676, the Preventing Crimes Against Veterans Act of 2016, by a narrow vote of 411 to 0. Another feather in the cap of Madisonian democracy.

It seems to be a relatively straightforward creation of an additional specified federal crime. Defrauding a veteran of their veteran benefits can result in up to five years imprisonment, in addition to any other charges.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've heard "irish time" used in a similar context. I don't know if that is more or less racist.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
EDIT: Wrong thread, I am an idiot.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 13, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Is this an ironically named slashing of the budget for the VA and GI Bill?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you've haven't heard of CPT, I'm sorry that you have no black friends. That's how I was first introduced to it. "Hey man, sorry I'm late. Running on CPT" "CPT?" "explanation here"

But yeah, it was dumb as hell to do.

I remember taking an Anthropology of Modern Africa course, and the very Nigerian professor explained Africa Time to us because he kept mentioning it.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Yeah, and subverting racism is not racism. It's, like, the opposite.

And yeah, it matters whether a joke is told by a black person, Bill de Blasio, or Mitch McConnell. Context matters.

Subverting racism is not the opposite of racism.

e.g. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TPNcXxiK0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He should have known better, it was bad form, tone-deaf, all of those things. But you're gonna have a hard time sticking de Blasio with even a "racist-ish" tag when he's been married for more than 20 years to his high school sweetheart, a black woman. I'm not saying the skit wasn't problematic, but like it or not the guy has got the black cred to wave it off. And since the punchline was a bait-and-switch pun, I don't even know how much there is to wave off.

To me, the bigger issue is that nobody who knew about the skit managed to sit him down and say "we got enough problems, let's not do this".

• Locked thread