Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My personal progress isn't super exciting what with all the videos and crap I've been doing but I'm getting there! I did a video review of a new plastic called Thibra for Arda Wigs and if you're interested in new plastic here's me sounding like a dork talking about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7Jftf8TVc

It's ultrasmooth and lower temp than worbla.

Painted is worbla, unpainted is thibra

I like it so far but I ended up deciding that to finish my Diablo wizard for Anime Central in ~5 weeks I probably can't swing a new plastic after all so I'm plowing forward in worbla instead.
Staff handle details:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm going to direct this at McPantserton because you seem to have the most experience with Worbla, but anyone can chime in

IIRC, one of the big perks of Worbla is that you heat it, it becomes flexible, it cools, - becomes solid. It can be reheated and re-used multiple times. How does painting affect that if at all?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

CzarChasm posted:

I'm going to direct this at McPantserton because you seem to have the most experience with Worbla, but anyone can chime in

IIRC, one of the big perks of Worbla is that you heat it, it becomes flexible, it cools, - becomes solid. It can be reheated and re-used multiple times. How does painting affect that if at all?

You can still reheat/rearrange painted pieces. I've had slight texture changes to the paint surface if I heat a painted piece a lot, and I'm sure you could mess up your paint job if you did any major reshaping, but minor tweaks and repairs are just fine.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So question for all you cosplay aficionados, I am working on a Majin Buu cosplay, and though I have most of the outfit together, I will need to find a good product to dye my skin the right color pink. Is there any good body paint I can use that won't rub off on the outfit but will still come off easily. It needs to be a matte color so...any thoughts? First time I've done something that required me to change my skin tone.

edit-for reference

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

From the various testing I've done in preparation for turning myself into a big purple elf, I've found that Ben Nye paints WITH A SEALING SPRAY are pretty good. It comes off pretty easy with some vigorous scrubbing with a washcloth in the shower, and it didn't rub off too much over the course of an hour or so. I haven't tried it at a con yet, however.

The sealing spray is incredibly important, it's what keeps the paint on you and not on the seats of the Applebee's next to the convention where all of the homestucks have already left greasy gray smears.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
A lot of people would say do the body with a bodysuit (or in your case just a spandexy shirt) in the right color. Then do your face/neck in paint. Makes it a lot cleaner though maybe you won't like the look of it. For face paint I've used Kryolan aquacolor with success (and also Ben Nye Final Seal sealing spray). But if you're going somewhere where you're gonna sweat a lot, aquacolor might not be the right solution. If you sweat and rub it will probably wear off.

New question!
Prosthetic ear appliances... Think elf ears or something similar. Should I literally make a mold and then fill with liquid latex? Or is there a material I can use to just sculpt the actual ears, let dry, then use those as the actual appliances?
And should I... Take a cast of my actual ears? Not sure if that is really necessary!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

cloudy posted:

New question!
Prosthetic ear appliances... Think elf ears or something similar. Should I literally make a mold and then fill with liquid latex? Or is there a material I can use to just sculpt the actual ears, let dry, then use those as the actual appliances?
And should I... Take a cast of my actual ears? Not sure if that is really necessary!

Go look for live roleplay supplies. They're all about this sort of thing - you can buy elf ears and attach them to yours with medical adhesive.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Madmarker posted:

I am working on a Majin Buu cosplay, First time I've done something that required me to change my skin tone.

efb:
Have you consider a full body suit?

I found a Pink one on ebay for $20 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321342680835?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Go look for live roleplay supplies. They're all about this sort of thing - you can buy elf ears and attach them to yours with medical adhesive.

I'm actually looking for something kinda weird that I wouldn't assume people would have in stock! Think like... Umm... Fish fins?

I didn't think the Aradani "sea elf" fit the bill either... But they're kinda on the right track. http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elf_ears/sea_elf_ears

So I figured I would have to sculpt them myself. I'm doing Undyne from the game Undertale.

Edit: something like this is pretty close to what I want. Looks like she DID take casts of her ears.
http://yaexrae.tumblr.com/post/111406127191/build-post-condesce-ear-fins

I was just hoping to get it done quick and fast without the mold-making by being able to just use some material to sculpt. Not sure if such a thing exists that could dry, be painted, and then glued on to skin.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 13, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gegil posted:

efb:
Have you consider a full body suit?

I found a Pink one on ebay for $20 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321342680835?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I've considered it, but I am unsure if they will actually fit, there is a reason I chose fat Buu to cosplay as, our dimensions are relatively similar.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Progress on the cage has slowed down since my idea for a finish didn't pan out. I was going to just use a mixture of Mod Podge and fine sand to give the whole thing a subtle texture and cover the bumps on the EVA, and it looked good in a test patch I did on some scrap foamboard- but in actual practice it didn't look so hot, made a horrible mess, and ate up a ton of my glue. So, a thin skin of papier-mache over the whole thing it is! At this point I'm about 3/4 of the way done applying but it's been kind of a slog, adding Celluclay section by section and waiting at least half a day for it to dry before flipping it around and covering the next section...

In the meantime, I've been trying to source the rest of Micolash's outfit from thrift stores so I can sew as little as humanly possible. And it's been going surprisingly well! Yesterday I found the brown coat thing that goes under his robe (though I will have to trim it a lot), and today I found a vest and shirt. You can barely even see any of this stuff in-game but dammit, if I'm gonna do it, I want it to be right. Weathering and roughing up the fabric should be fun- one nitpick I have about the couple of Micolash cosplays I've glanced at is that they're too neat and clean, the robes look more Hogwarts than anything. I think I'm off to a good start with this color palette.

I'm hoping that in a month or so I can grab a couple of black graduation gowns for the robe and just cut one up to make the hood and sleeve expansions. Assuming Goodwill doesn't just hoard all those to sell before Halloween :sigh:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any ideas on recreating this? If not I can do the simple Ground Control shirt and hat combo, but that's just lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 19, 2016

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012
Hi Guys!

Figured it was time to stop lurking and actually post some. I'm working on a Junkrat from Overwatch costume at the moment. Just started building the gun -

Trying out thibra for the first time as well, want it as smooth as reasonably possible so I'm still sanding it flat -

Did some gap filling with Apoxie Sculpt last night, once its set I can finish sanding it all down and glue the parts together -

Its a lot less stable compared to Worbla, not sure if I would ever use outside of covering foam pieces. But still, seems promising.

KrakenandEggs
Aug 1, 2015
My go-to for body paint is usually PAX for my body(50/50 pros-aide acrylic paint blend) and ben nye for my face. I've never had issues with PAX rubbing off and staining my costume, though it's a bitch to get off so if you won't have time to have a nice long soak and scrub night of it's probably not the best.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Whitz posted:

Hi Guys!

Figured it was time to stop lurking and actually post some. I'm working on a Junkrat from Overwatch costume at the moment. Just started building the gun -

Trying out thibra for the first time as well, want it as smooth as reasonably possible so I'm still sanding it flat -

Did some gap filling with Apoxie Sculpt last night, once its set I can finish sanding it all down and glue the parts together -

Its a lot less stable compared to Worbla, not sure if I would ever use outside of covering foam pieces. But still, seems promising.

Dumb noob question so I'm likely not seeing something obvious but this looks like something that could be more easily made from 2" (or 1" layers sandwiched together) polystyrene insulation sheets. What was the thought process in utilizing thibra?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

BlackIronHeart posted:

Dumb noob question so I'm likely not seeing something obvious but this looks like something that could be more easily made from 2" (or 1" layers sandwiched together) polystyrene insulation sheets. What was the thought process in utilizing thibra?

I myself never have exposed polystyrene insulation without covering it, it's extremely brittle and the surface is super delicate. I always cover it in plastic so I don't have to patch holes and touch up paint every time I take a prop out.

e.

My Shadowmoon staffhead that I'm almost done with here is a good example, it's pink foam covered in worbla. The shape was just fine in the foam alone but at the end of that pole it's almost certainly going to bash into stuff all the time. It's just so much easier to take a few minutes/dollars and cover it in something hard rather than 1,000 years of repairs every time. My newer costumes usually require less than an hour of repair time these days no matter how hard I wear them and it is amazing.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2016

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Awesome, that makes total sense. Thanks for the reply!

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Durability basically, it is actually layered foam (some denser version of EVA though, not insulation sheets). The Thibra is just there to make sure it can take some punishment as it needs to survive a 5 day convention.

Edit:Yes what McPantserton said ^^

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Material sourcing help needed.

I've been tasked with creating a Rose Quartz sword & shield for a friend. The sword was easily made from wood, and I even followed my own tip last year for making the knuckle guard. I'm pretty close to being done with it, just need to finish the grip and pommel, and work on color details.

However, I'm completely stumped when it comes to the shield part of the costume. I've found numerous images online of people posing with a shield, and I even found a great tutorial for making one. My problem is that nobody is giving up the source for where they're getting clear shield blanks. I tried emailing the person at the tutorial link above, but got no reply, which is sad because it said she's selling blanks for $20.

Before I buy and modify a Halloween costume Captain America shield, or just make a flat opaque shield, does anyone know exactly where I can get a clear piece of plastic in a round shield shape for less than $30? I found a Chinese website that sells cheap genuine polycarbonite riot shields, but it's wholesale and they require an order of at least 20.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'm guessing they're small plastic skylight covers, like this http://replex.com/skylight-domes/

Hopefully that'll give you enough google search terms to track down a supplier.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Unibrow posted:

Material sourcing help needed.

I've been tasked with creating a Rose Quartz sword & shield for a friend. The sword was easily made from wood, and I even followed my own tip last year for making the knuckle guard. I'm pretty close to being done with it, just need to finish the grip and pommel, and work on color details.

However, I'm completely stumped when it comes to the shield part of the costume. I've found numerous images online of people posing with a shield, and I even found a great tutorial for making one. My problem is that nobody is giving up the source for where they're getting clear shield blanks. I tried emailing the person at the tutorial link above, but got no reply, which is sad because it said she's selling blanks for $20.

Before I buy and modify a Halloween costume Captain America shield, or just make a flat opaque shield, does anyone know exactly where I can get a clear piece of plastic in a round shield shape for less than $30? I found a Chinese website that sells cheap genuine polycarbonite riot shields, but it's wholesale and they require an order of at least 20.

When I used to work at Home Depot, we sold big sheets of plexiglass. Could you buy one of those and just cut the shield out?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I've been digging for awhile and not finding much I like for Rose Quartz's shield either, so maybe you could get sheet PETG and shape it over a solid dome/ball/etc? PETG is pretty cheap, heats at a fairly low temp, and you can dye it with RIT polyester dyes (although the dome would be pretty big for that since you have to boil it).

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

I've been digging for awhile and not finding much I like for Rose Quartz's shield either, so maybe you could get sheet PETG and shape it over a solid dome/ball/etc? PETG is pretty cheap, heats at a fairly low temp, and you can dye it with RIT polyester dyes (although the dome would be pretty big for that since you have to boil it).

Can you paint PETG?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm heading to Blizzcon again this year, and I'd like to do a Tracer cosplay. More specifically this skin:

I have no idea where to begin. What would folks recommend with approaching the suit itself? Am I out of my league? :v: I'd like to avoid just doing leggings with a pattern on them because it won't have the nice baggy effect a flight suit would have. Money's a little tight so I'll likely do the pistols out of foam rather than get them 3D printed (but man I wish I could).

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Funhilde posted:

Can you paint PETG?

Yep, it's what I used for the clear panel on Frostmourne! Has all the same problems you get painting any super slick plastic but plastic spraypaints worked just fine for me.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

McPantserton posted:

Yep, it's what I used for the clear panel on Frostmourne! Has all the same problems you get painting any super slick plastic but plastic spraypaints worked just fine for me.

Does sanding it first help at all or does that make no difference?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does sanding it first help at all or does that make no difference?

It probably does, I sanded mine kinda incidentally as part of the process of building the sword. Only downside is if you want it super slick and clear, sanding would cloud the surface some. Mine just needed lights to show through so that didn't really matter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

McKilligan posted:

Primed with black Gesso - goddamn am I happy with it right now. The horns/crown/back of the helmet aren't 100% accurate to the in-game model, but I attribute those differences to having to fit the drat thing in my tiny-rear end easy-bake oven. Otherwise, I thnk that I've pretty much nailed the profile / overall shape. I might even spraypaint it today, no reason not to.
Now to dive back into chainmail production.

Sculpey was pretty difficult to work with, it was much softer than I remember, and if I was going to do it again I'd have made a lot more of a wire framework to better support it. There's a few places where part of the top of the helmet 'sag' a little bit. That doesn't bother me much, honestly I think it contributes to the whole 'beaten to hell and back' aesthetic that the armor has, but I don't think I would try to use sculpey for any kind of helmet that would have to have a smooth, even finish.

Edit -metal as gently caress

Stop being so good at this, you're making me want to get in way over my head to try and match up to what you do. :negative:

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 25, 2016

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hey, protip: use the right mold release agent for the material you're using. The same spray I use to make my silicone production molds does NOT work on plaster molds.

Luckily, this is only like $15 worth of plaster instead of $150 of silicone, but god drat this is going to be a long night.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

So I'm heading to Blizzcon again this year, and I'd like to do a Tracer cosplay. More specifically this skin:

I have no idea where to begin. What would folks recommend with approaching the suit itself? Am I out of my league? :v: I'd like to avoid just doing leggings with a pattern on them because it won't have the nice baggy effect a flight suit would have. Money's a little tight so I'll likely do the pistols out of foam rather than get them 3D printed (but man I wish I could).

:iia:

They gave her a tiny parachute and they modeled the pack opening bands! :swoon:

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

Money's a little tight so I'll likely do the pistols out of foam rather than get them 3D printed (but man I wish I could).

My friend made a little step by step guide on how she made her guns, were a little rushed but this will hopefully come in useful still -

https://www.rapidcoursebuilder.com/rapid-course-builder/course/48/play/d8e91a873315597ca9a93968263691d2#player

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Transmogrifier posted:

Been thinking about Tracer and I think I would start figuring out how exactly you want to have the undersuit and pants thinger first. Her breastplate and gauntlets go over it all so once that's figured out it would be easier to size out once the fabric parts were worked out. I think I'd probably try and buy stuff to do that skintight brown underlayer and make big chap things to go over it maybe?

And here's my weekly progress, the fastest breastplate I've ever put together. Still have ~3 weeks to go but I'm starting to sweat a little!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

McPantserton posted:

Been thinking about Tracer and I think I would start figuring out how exactly you want to have the undersuit and pants thinger first. Her breastplate and gauntlets go over it all so once that's figured out it would be easier to size out once the fabric parts were worked out. I think I'd probably try and buy stuff to do that skintight brown underlayer and make big chap things to go over it maybe?

Yea, I think this is the way to go. You can probably find something in a store to use as the base layer. If you wanted to get as close to the look as possible it looks like you would want something like grey/pattern tights and a brownish sleeved leotard, but you could probably get away with just using a fitting pants/shirt combination instead.

Then you would use blue fabric to make the chaps/belt to wear over it, and make the yellow harness/chute as a some sort of modified vest? At a glance I thought she had big poofy lower sleeves but those actually appear to be rigid wing-things, so you would make those, shoulder caps, and kneeguards out of something appropriate. For shoes I think you could either get away with wearing kneeboots, or just brown shoes and making the upper as a sort of spat/greave.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey McKilligan:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2QXEM

Sword big.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

The sad part is the end of that video, where they try to test cut things with it. It is too big and heavy for any of them to wield, so they end up just kind of holding it upright, and letting it fall on things. It's amazing no one chopped their own foot off.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I already linked the video many posts back. :colbert:

I have not seen the name "Skandranon" in forever. Memories, man. Did you know she's writing more Valdemar books again?

As for cosplay...I have nothing to contribute. I should make things, but I always get distracted. McPantserton, that breastplate looks beautiful!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

my cat is norris posted:

I have not seen the name "Skandranon" in forever. Memories, man. Did you know she's writing more Valdemar books again?
The last ones I read were BAD ONES THOUGH. I read a few of them and I can't believe she's stretching the one cockney accent mining guy into 5 books. At one point she started detailing this guy's masturbation habits and that's about where I dropped out. :gonk:

my cat is norris posted:

As for cosplay...I have nothing to contribute. I should make things, but I always get distracted. McPantserton, that breastplate looks beautiful!

Ayyy thanks :D Been a slow spring for me too really, I'm only now really diving back into it. I'm super excited to demold my very first resin casts tonight (hopefully having used the correct mold release, that picture was traumatizing!)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

my cat is norris posted:

I didn't, but I'm an old man now and I imagine going back to read those or new fantasy books would make me cringe.

McPantserton posted:

The last ones I read were BAD ONES THOUGH. I read a few of them and I can't believe she's stretching the one cockney accent mining guy into 5 books. At one point she started detailing this guy's masturbation habits and that's about where I dropped out. :gonk:

... and that pretty much sealed it. I'll just keep my fond memories of the glorious Black Gryphon who was cool, popular, smart, strong, attractive, best buds with the ultra wizard, personally defeats the bad guy, and saves the world. You know, a realistic hero.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Whitz posted:

My friend made a little step by step guide on how she made her guns, were a little rushed but this will hopefully come in useful still -

https://www.rapidcoursebuilder.com/rapid-course-builder/course/48/play/d8e91a873315597ca9a93968263691d2#player

Thank you! This will definitely be helpful!

McPantserton posted:

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I think this is the way to go. You can probably find something in a store to use as the base layer. If you wanted to get as close to the look as possible it looks like you would want something like grey/pattern tights and a brownish sleeved leotard, but you could probably get away with just using a fitting pants/shirt combination instead.

Then you would use blue fabric to make the chaps/belt to wear over it, and make the yellow harness/chute as a some sort of modified vest? At a glance I thought she had big poofy lower sleeves but those actually appear to be rigid wing-things, so you would make those, shoulder caps, and kneeguards out of something appropriate. For shoes I think you could either get away with wearing kneeboots, or just brown shoes and making the upper as a sort of spat/greave.

Thanks! I definitely don't mind doing some kind of leggings/tights/leotard deal for the bottom layer. I just didn't want to do something that was just leggings with patterns. Those are actually rigid arm guards, yeah. I'd probably just do foam for that. :)

Again thanks for giving me a place to start. I really appreciate it. Now if only Blizzard would cough up the reference sheet so I could get almost exact colors and more details. (Been asking them forever it feels like!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Oh, I've been all over that, Would love to have something like that alongside mine.

In other news, I've finally beaten DS3, which means now I've got access to the actual loving in-game model for reference! I was pretty pumped to find out that the Red Knight from all the promo material is actually the final boss, the Lord of Cinder. I had no idea exactly what he was when I started this, so it's nice that it wound up being a particularly iconic character.

The past couple of weeks I've just been plodding away at the chainmail, and I've finished the sleeves for each arm. I'm planning to mount them to a hoodie with some reinforced straps soon, rather than spend another 40 hours making a full chainmail shirt that won't even be visible for the most part. Basically the past couple of days I've been ruminating on how to proceed, it's such a big project that it's hard to decide what specifically to tackle next.

In other news, I really, really want to make the loving firelink greatsword now.

This means that I'm going to have to learn LEDs... of which I currently know less than nothing. Once I figure that out, I'm going to have to figure out how to embed them in some kind of relatively clear resin, which means making a mould, which is a whole other ballache of an area that I have no experience in.

God I'm glad I don't have a deadline for this...