Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

xzzy posted:

I will never understand why sim fans get such a boner for rain.

Because it looks so good and when you don't have to worry about the risk of sliding your real car into a real ditch it's fun as hell to play around in? I've had a blast sliding the C7.R around during a thunderstorm in Project CARS and it looks rad as hell to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, "medium" as opposed to Monaco which has a lot less time for the brakes to cool off. Also, F1 stuff is carbon/carbon, no ceramic involved. Though yeah, that showed up on aircraft first.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

well, compared to something like large aircraft brake systems, yeah, i'd agree with that assessment

multi-plate disc brakes with full-circle friction materials, capable of slowing an airliner from takeoff speed to a stop without overrunning the runway AND not catching fire in the several minutes it takes for firetrucks to arrive.

compared to that, yeah, F1 cars with their ceramic rotors and pads on an otherwise conventional setup aren't really all that exotic.

Any excuse to post this old favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dv_y_3EK0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mekilljoydammit posted:

Also, F1 stuff is carbon/carbon, no ceramic involved. Though yeah, that showed up on aircraft first.

my mistake, i was going from (faulty) memory

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Enourmo posted:

my mistake, i was going from (faulty) memory

Well, god knows every production car with fancy brakes has tried to muddle the water. "F1 braking technology!" No thank you, I'd like something that works cold. ;)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I guy in our local RX-7 club just posted this on Facebook last night:

In his words: " I just finished a 1929 ford vintage speedster with a 6 port motor, custom intake, 4 barrel carb, and T2 trany."

I'll get more pictures and videos as soon as I can.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

I guy in our local RX-7 club just posted this on Facebook last night:

In his words: " I just finished a 1929 ford vintage speedster with a 6 port motor, custom intake, 4 barrel carb, and T2 trany."

I'll get more pictures and videos as soon as I can.

That's literally the guy I bought my pile of N/A 13B stuff from.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ooh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

T1g4h posted:

Because it looks so good and when you don't have to worry about the risk of sliding your real car into a real ditch it's fun as hell to play around in? I've had a blast sliding the C7.R around during a thunderstorm in Project CARS and it looks rad as hell to boot.

Wait my whole disappointment with Project CARS when I got it in a steam sale was there wasn't a single Corvette. When did it get a C7.R? Is that paid dlc or something?

Edit: ahh yeah in february. Cool, might have to jump back into that.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 12, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

This guy knows whats up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Let's steer paintchat over towards drag cars, IMO.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

This is what I thought you posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y

4:45 where fun starts.

Then again that was the maximum worst case scenario, artificially worn brake assemblies to simulate lack of maintenance along with no reverse thrust and braking right as they hit V1.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Alighieri posted:

Then again that was the maximum worst case scenario, artificially worn brake assemblies to simulate lack of maintenance along with no reverse thrust and braking right as they hit V1.

I have to take exception to this statement. The brakes are milled down to their wear limit. It's not to simulate the lack of maintenance, because if the brakes are above that limit, they're not due for replacement. If the manufacturer wanted more brake on the pad before replacing them, they'd have made the limit higher.

And, as we see, the brakes stopped the plane just fine, so the limit wasn't too low. The fuse plugs in the wheels got modified after that test, so that was the major problem there.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Let's steer paintchat over towards drag cars, IMO.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

VikingSkull posted:

this is why I always toss out any opinion of a car beginning with "I rented a x and let me tell you..."

Especially those that comment on the condition of the car. "I rented a (usually some domestic junk) and it was falling apart at only 10k miles!". Sure, I bet half of it's falling apart because it's American domestic junk, but on the other hand how many stories are there about how badly people treat rentals?

AI: Mini vs SD1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwsCi17Cgs

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can't even fathom decelerating at 5.7g.

Or 5.7g along any axis for that matter. Goddamn Formula 1 drivers are nuts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would poo poo and piss myself, throw up and then pass out. The first two at the same time.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kris_b posted:

Especially those that comment on the condition of the car. "I rented a (usually some domestic junk) and it was falling apart at only 10k miles!". Sure, I bet half of it's falling apart because it's American domestic junk, but on the other hand how many stories are there about how badly people treat rentals?

AI: Mini vs SD1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwsCi17Cgs

Is that a Camaro I spy behind them while they're talking?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Well gently caress .

https://imgur.com/45MB6cd

I'll post more when I'm sober

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

That does not look very awesome. :ohdear:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Chiwie posted:

Well gently caress .

https://imgur.com/45MB6cd

I'll post more when I'm sober

how the heck...

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Targa tasmaina. My mates 240z that I was service crewing on had a 48 second lead in classic gt going into day 3. He binned it after lunch and took out a disabled Porsche tour gt3.

Pretty annoyed about it but hey if your going to go out taking a 360k AUD Porsche with you is a good way to go.

Anyway back to drinks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

quote:

This civic came out to our local Honda gathering last weekend, the car is somewhat of a legend amongst Honda guys, especially the 3rd gen guys. The car was built in the late 80s & it’s been converted to a MR layout. The car was powered by a Acura legend/vigor v6 originally but I’ve learned that the new owner has swapped in the 3.2l v6 from the newer Acura CL type S. I bet this things a hoot.

http://birdsean.tumblr.com/post/142723133207

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Enourmo posted:

compared to that, yeah, F1 cars with their ceramic rotors and pads on an otherwise conventional setup aren't really all that exotic.
Formula 1's Brakes Are Pushing The Very Edges of Human Technology
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/formula-1s-brakes-are-pushing-the-very-edges-of-human-t-1767969393

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IT'S A HONDA CLIO!!!
IT'S :perfect:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

IT'S A HONDA CLIO!!!
IT'S :perfect:

More Like a Renault 5 GT Turbo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hands down thread winner right here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Reminds me of the Ford Festiva SHOGun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

InitialDave posted:

Reminds me of the Ford Festiva SHOGun.

a what?

:stare: oh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently somebody tracked this thing down and is restoring it

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Powershit, I'm going to need more info. On both of those.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Haha...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stare::fh:

Yes, I would like to know more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 8 wheel buick is callled the "shamrockaway"

The other one is the "mothership" COE tourliner.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

The other one is the "mothership" COE tourliner.

This thing really isn't to my taste, but drat if it isn't beautifully done.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's what happens when you brake at 5.7g.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That truck thing is wonderful.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Rectal Placenta posted:

What software do you use for the 3d scanning? (I think that's what I'm looking at.)

Yes, that's what it is. I used 123D. Had to make quite a few tries to get good enough results.
http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Here's a gif of a set of scan images:

atomicthumbs posted:

and hey, if you're into building silly computer poo poo as well as silly car poo poo, old Nvidia Teslas are reasonably inexpensive :unsmigghh:

At work we have recently mostly bought Xeon E5-2697 v3 based servers. They are versatile with presently available software and quite cost efficient. Ethernet is good enough for a few computational nodes per calculation. Hardware is not that expensive compared to personnel costs and licensing fees of commercial CFD software, which is typically licensed $$/per computational thread.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jesus that gif looked a lot more nsfw when it first loaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that looked like an awkward sex toy.