Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Brock Landers posted:

Dunno for sure but there are apparently some widespread complaints with Bluetooth on the SE: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/11/iphone-se-bluetooth-phone-call-audio-issues/
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

By "Maps suggestions" do you mean the Nearby line? If so, try checking Settings - General - Spotlight Search and scrolling down and see if the Maps toggle is on.

Hmm it's on 😕

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Minidust posted:

My SE isn't staying connected to my car's bluetooth between rides. My old 5c worked fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've removed the 5c from my car's list of devices, forgotten the car on my SE and started over. Anything on the phone end that might be forcing a re-connect each time?

There was a bluetooth bug in 9.3 that was theoretically resolved in 9.3.1 (it was at least for me) but it came and went during the whole 9.3 beta several times which makes me think they don't totally have their heads around it. If you have time, submit a bug report about it and they'll walk you through sending your bluetooth logs to them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Boner Wad posted:

I was more asking out of curiosity. $100 for a new screen isn't horrible though.

If I get any scratches I can feel it see when the screen is on or if I crack the glass I'll get it replaced.

If you can manage to crack a single hairline crack in it, those are covered by warranty.

Source: former genius

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

e.pilot posted:

Source: former genius

What can you say about battery life? My 6 will lose like 40% of battery life in like 2 hours of use. My 6S (workphone) can go 3-4 hours with the same amount of battery use.

I took my phone to the Apple store and they tested it with their app and it's supposedly fine but the battery has gone to poo poo. Maybe I need to delete the Facebook app since that's my most used one. Maybe I'm just 'spergin.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azzenco posted:

What can you say about battery life? My 6 will lose like 40% of battery life in like 2 hours of use. My 6S (workphone) can go 3-4 hours with the same amount of battery use.

I took my phone to the Apple store and they tested it with their app and it's supposedly fine but the battery has gone to poo poo. Maybe I need to delete the Facebook app since that's my most used one. Maybe I'm just 'spergin.

I quit using the Facebook app and just added a shortcut to Facebook and my battery life improved immensely. I don't know what Facebook is doing with their app but it is terrible. ymmv

Also the 6S will have a slightly newer battery (assuming you didn't get them at the same time) and is theoretically a bit more efficient.

Also, also, are they both on the same carrier?

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah the 6s is like a month old so I knew it would be fine. Guess I can try the fb deleting.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Or just disable Background App Refresh for the Facebook app?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

td4guy posted:

Or just disable Background App Refresh for the Facebook app?

Doesn't work, still does stuff in the background.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010
Has anyone been able to snag the SE for $299 at Walmart? Its a deal that I can't seem to actually find, but is reported on several deals websites.
http://dealnews.com/features/The-First-iPhone-SE-Discount-is-Here-But-Not-From-Apple/1642742.html

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are thumbs just inherently harder for the fingerprint reader on a 6 to read? Searching online most articles about problems with the reader are from when it was first launched (and it has improved overall since then), but I can not get it to reliably read my thumbs. Some pages said to try registering problem fingers multiple times but that didn't help either.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I have a 5s and have always used my thumbs with no issue and I think it's the same sensor as the 6.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My iPhone SE just came in the mail. It's an awesome device. What's the preferred case? I don't have any of my old 5/5S cases around anywhere, so I need to order a new one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm happy with the official 5SE Black Leather Case.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I'm happy with the official 5SE Black Leather Case.

I also use this and it's great.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are thumbs just inherently harder for the fingerprint reader on a 6 to read? Searching online most articles about problems with the reader are from when it was first launched (and it has improved overall since then), but I can not get it to reliably read my thumbs. Some pages said to try registering problem fingers multiple times but that didn't help either.

You don't have to register a digit more than once, you can just add more precision by going to the TouchID settings page and tapping the sensor. Every time the entry for that finger flashes, it counts as a new sample.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I ordered the Midnight Blue Apple leather case. It's unfortunate that Apple doesn't offer the best colors like Marigold, Soft Pink, and Marine Blue for the SE, like they do for the 6/6S. But I can deal with it.

Soft Pink was the best and cutest. Why did Apple have to discontinue it? :argh:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 12, 2016

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Killer Queen posted:

My iPhone SE just came in the mail. It's an awesome device. What's the preferred case? I don't have any of my old 5/5S cases around anywhere, so I need to order a new one.

This is my current case, and I love it and get so many compliments about it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

I ordered the Midnight Blue Apple leather case. It's unfortunate that Apple doesn't offer the best colors like Marigold, Soft Pink, and Marine Blue for the SE, like they do for the 6/6S. But I can deal with it.

Soft Pink was the best and cutest. Why did Apple have to discontinue it? :argh:

I don't know :( I wish I could get a nice pink case to go with my Neko Atsume wallpaper. I got one from Amazon but it was bulky and felt kinda cheap.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Soft Pink is the best because it isn't your typical loud hot pink. Soft Pink is a classy unique color that really works. No idea why Apple decided to discontinue it for far less cute colors. :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How do I get my new iPhone to show up on my MacBook or whatever. It just sortof happened the first time but it doesnt seem to appear in the wireless networks bit.

They are both on the same wifi network and using the same iTunes account.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You have to go to Settings -> General -> iTunes WiFi Sync IIRC and turn it on there but don't worry too much, it'll never work anyway.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

no case

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lazyhound posted:

You don't have to register a digit more than once, you can just add more precision by going to the TouchID settings page and tapping the sensor. Every time the entry for that finger flashes, it counts as a new sample.
I don't know what you mean exactly? I am on the page with my fingerprint records listed and there's no flashing or anything when I touch the sensor with a registered finger.

edit: I should note that I don't have any problem registering my thumbs in the first place, just when it comes time to use them to actually unlock the phone, other fingers work fine and the thumbs don't.

edit again: I re-registered my fingers and now they flash like you said. It's still harder to get the thumb to flash than the other fingers though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 13, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

When you're on the TouchID & Passcode page, the entry for a fingerprint should flash when you touch the sensor with it. It also silently uses that as a sample. I had to overtrain it this way to get it to recognize the edge of my thumbs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I guess I see what it's doing. The more I re-scan my thumb this way, the faster and more reliably it recognizes it. Why is this a hidden feature? It sounds really useful.

edit: I'll see as the day goes on whether it makes a difference in how fast I can open the phone in actual practice though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
How can I reduce the size mail takes up in my icloud storage? Its at about 150mb and I don't want to upgrade my icloud storage. Tried googling this and just get unrelated blog posts.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

African AIDS cum posted:

How can I reduce the size mail takes up in my icloud storage? Its at about 150mb and I don't want to upgrade my icloud storage. Tried googling this and just get unrelated blog posts.

You could search for messages with attachments and delete them

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I guess I see what it's doing. The more I re-scan my thumb this way, the faster and more reliably it recognizes it. Why is this a hidden feature? It sounds really useful.

edit: I'll see as the day goes on whether it makes a difference in how fast I can open the phone in actual practice though.

Also, lick your thumb and program it as another print.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When you scan your print put the phone down and then pick it up and put your thumb on it in a natural motion all without looking. Deliberately putting your thumb on it for the scan will likely have you scanning a different region than when you would just idly scan in.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brock Landers posted:

Also, lick your thumb and program it as another print.
That's an interesting suggestion, but I tried it and it completely failed to register my print.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just did all my fingers a bunch of times. My right thumb registered as my left thumb more than once.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

carry on then posted:

You could search for messages with attachments and delete them

Thank you. Its finding messages from 2 years ago. I thought I set it to only download a weeks worth. Hmm

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Traditionally rhe more fingers and samples that you register the slower it is to unlock.
Dunno if this is a problem on the 6S though.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Worth it to upgrade from a 4S to an SE, or wait for a 7?

SE seems to be pretty close in size to what I've got currently, I'm thinking about it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

5 —> SE was a worthwhile upgrade for me, I can only imagine what the jump from a 4S would be like.

Side note: I was all ready to post about how the SE seemed to blow away the 6S/6S+ in terms of speed and responsiveness until I realized the intervening month with a Lumia 635 (512MB) was probably colouring my perceptions.

Side side note:
Lumia 635, back pocket, constantly sat on for a month because $40 from Amazon: NOT BENT.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

I just did all my fingers a bunch of times. My right thumb registered as my left thumb more than once.
That's what I was doing before but there is a limit to the total number of registrations you can have. Once I filled all of them with just my right thumb and it was not improved.

I've been using my phone in the field today using some of these suggestions but still no improvement. Sometimes it opens the third time or so I try, but sometimes it goes all the way to the point where it forces me to enter my passcode. Maybe my thumb prints are just inherently ill-suited to this for some reason...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lazyhound posted:

Side side note:
Lumia 635, back pocket, constantly sat on for a month because $40 from Amazon: NOT BENT.

That's a marketing slogan if I've ever seen one.

"Lumia 635, the phone for discerning buyers who want to cram their phone up their rear end"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Killer_B posted:

Worth it to upgrade from a 4S to an SE, or wait for a 7?

SE seems to be pretty close in size to what I've got currently, I'm thinking about it.

Test a 6S first. The majority of people adapt to a larger screen size very easily - and a 6S is still a very small phone compared to android flagships. The large screen size is a massive quality of life improvement if you use your phone for web surfing or games or multimedia. Get an SE only if you are sure you can't handle a larger phone. My personal opinion is that it's better to upgrade during 'S' years, since new designs always seem to have hardware kinks to be worked out, like the antenna issue on the 4 or the bending issue on the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

That's a marketing slogan if I've ever seen one.

"Lumia 635, the phone for discerning buyers who want to cram their phone up their rear end"

The thicker phones are more satisfying.