Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kenderama posted:

Yeah I ended up with the JETech one, but it looks really good. The finish matches the Space Grey well - though the packaging and lack of directions were both annoying. (Okay the directions-lack didn't annoy, but the packaging did.)

I have huge hands and it is almost too small to get over onto my wrist, but once it's on I have plenty of room and it's quite comfy.

Thanks, I ended up getting this, and I actually like it better than the official Apple loop. The fact that it's black (something Apple doesn't offer for some stupid reason) is just frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LorneReams posted:

Thanks, I ended up getting this, and I actually like it better than the official Apple loop. The fact that it's black (something Apple doesn't offer for some stupid reason) is just frosting.
???

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLJH2/42mm-space-black-milanese-loop

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

rage-saq posted:

Pulled the trigger last night on a moko black link band to change things up, its not quite as perfect as the apple space black link band but its also like 10% of the cost. If I could just get the clasp to attach to my current leather deployant strap I would be in heaven, my strap is a little too wide for the links to fit.

Glad to see someone on here bought this. I just got a cheapo black Milanese Loop and will probably get one of these too because I LOVE the link bracelet. Is the clasp like Apple's

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

io_burn posted:

The Apple link bracelet is jank as gently caress, so the quality of that band is probably on par.

What's jack as gently caress about it? Mine still looks amazing and works flawlessly and I've had it since launch. I also swap it out with a sports band several times a week when I work out and haven't had any issues with that either.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wow, the guy at the apple store said it didn't exist. Maybe it's new, or he was full of poo poo.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

LorneReams posted:

Wow, the guy at the apple store said it didn't exist. Maybe it's new, or he was full of poo poo.

It's new as of March 21st.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It sure looks a lot like the one I got on Amazon for 19.99.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Glad to see someone on here bought this. I just got a cheapo black Milanese Loop and will probably get one of these too because I LOVE the link bracelet. Is the clasp like Apple's

One of my coworkers has a link, if the clasp isn't 100% identical I don't know how. Feels the same, works the same.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a grey-market "clone" situation.

I also got the cheapo Amazon link bracelet, and there's a lot of slop between the links. I don't know if that's how the real ones are, but I can't complain for just over 10% of the cost.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a grey-market "clone" situation.

I also got the cheapo Amazon link bracelet, and there's a lot of slop between the links. I don't know if that's how the real ones are, but I can't complain for just over 10% of the cost.

I have the real one and had a customer with the fake one. They look the same but the fake one feels cheap and lovely. There is a difference. Could have just been his particular fake one, though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Same here, I went with the black Riega version from Amazon well before the Apple version was announced and it's been great. No hair pulling, the color looks the same as the day I bought it and the magnet is strong without having to worry about picking up anything that my wrist comes near. The only knock I can think of is it's noticeably heavier than the sport of nylon bands, but that has nothing to do with being third party.

Gen 1 Apple products are generally a leap of faith but I really don't get the band pricing at all aside from "Because we can".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Gen 1 Apple products are generally a leap of faith but I really don't get the band pricing at all aside from "Because we can".

Compared to similar branded watch bands, Apple's can be downright cheap.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I feel dumb for buying the official Apple leather loop for full price. I still use it sometimes but man it sucks to think that when a virtually identical one can be had for 13 loving dollars on Amazon now.

I think I'll order that Link Bracelet sometime soon, I am kind of fickle with watch bands so I'll probably get sick of the black Milanese eventually. I like it better than I thought I would, though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I feel dumb for buying the official Apple leather loop for full price. I still use it sometimes but man it sucks to think that when a virtually identical one can be had for 13 loving dollars on Amazon now.

I think I'll order that Link Bracelet sometime soon, I am kind of fickle with watch bands so I'll probably get sick of the black Milanese eventually. I like it better than I thought I would, though.

You sound like you might be more at home wearing some slapdash android watch, my friend.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Tim do you have something to confess to the watch megathread?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no Apple Watch expansion bracelets, so he doesn't actually wear an Apple Watch.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Tim do you have something to confess to the watch megathread?

No... not... like this...

edit: I actually did try one for a month, it has bad

edit2:

Endless Mike posted:

There's no Apple Watch expansion bracelets, so he doesn't actually wear an Apple Watch.

Hm... Now that sounds pretty fuckin epic.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Most of apples bands are ok, if maybe priced a bit higher than they are worth, but the apple leather loop is so bad its offensive. It is form-pressed, low quality lovely leather, the finely textured beef of the leather quality scale. Apple doesn't even bother pretending this is Genuine Leather much less something much higher quality like Chromexcel or Shell Cordovan.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

rage-saq posted:

Most of apples bands are ok, if maybe priced a bit higher than they are worth, but the apple leather loop is so bad its offensive. It is form-pressed, low quality lovely leather, the finely textured beef of the leather quality scale. Apple doesn't even bother pretending this is Genuine Leather much less something much higher quality like Chromexcel or Shell Cordovan.

I'd guess that'll be the first band to be retired due to price, quality, and lack of water resistance. I like the idea of it, but looking at non-amazon reviews for the third party versions are pretty much universally poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hm... Now that sounds pretty fuckin epic.
It's happening.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

It's happening.

It is time :agesilaus:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

What are some peoples hopes for watchOS 3? I am hoping Apple introduces watchFacekit or some kind of SDK so we finally get more watch faces. Or at least Apple introduces a hell of a lot more

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not much for the watch itself (other than options for HR monitoring periods other than 10 minutes, but that's not going to happen), but I really wish the Health app / HealthKit wasn't the half-assed pile of mediocrity it is today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think 2.2 upped HR sampling to every 5 minutes, and if you want to view HR data look into HeartWatch.

As for watchOS 3 yeah more watch face customization would be nice. Otherwise some rejiggering of the UI, like it'd be nice to be able to do more from the watch faces and complications themselves like simple app actions (and a workout face/complication). And glances that can do stuff besides display something or launch the app, like how the Music glance is like a mini app.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

People trusted you :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I think 2.2 upped HR sampling to every 5 minutes, ...
Hey, looks like they did. Or they did something, here's a chunk of intervals from yesterday afternoon, minutes between readings:

3, 9, 6, 6, 6, 3, 12, 4, 3, 6, 8, 4, 4, 2, 16, 17, 5, 3, 5, 6, 8.

:thumbsup:

The HeartWatch complication is neat, thanks for that, but I'm not sure I want to jump down that rabbit hole yet.

E: I know about the motion thing with sample rate, I just think the almost complete lack of 5s was funny.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 17, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is the Facebook messenger app just not work for anyone else? Mine just shows the spinning/loading wheel and never actually does anything.

I wish Hangouts would come out with a watch app :smith: and Waze.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It had to happen someday

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What am I looking at?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Needs a pile of poo poo or a dick in the background, but not bad.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

:captainpop:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

BGrifter posted:

Needs a pile of poo poo or a dick in the background, but not bad.

Or a squatting Eastern European guy in a track suit.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

tell me where i can buy this

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
That's my favorite kind of band.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

please I need to buy that

Preferably in some kind of lovely gold color to (poorly) match my apple watch.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Lol that shits ugly

The apple band is 100x more expensive but it also doesn't look like it came from a Dave and busters prize room

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In case people were serious, it's just a regular watch band with one of those $7 watch band adapter things you can find on eBay/Amazon.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In case people were serious, it's just a regular watch band with one of those $7 watch band adapter things you can find on eBay/Amazon.

I was serious and thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's a Speidel expansion bracelet. There's lots on Amazon in various colors and styles including lovely gold or even duo-tone!. I put it on those adapters, but I need to remove some links which looks like it's a bit of a pain.

• Locked thread