Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

urakawa posted:

Finally got my $600 1.8 swapped basket case Miata up and running.

I've been following along with your Miata exploits, and I have no clue where you're finding these cars for those prices. Tell me your secrets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nice work man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

urakawa posted:

- 3/4 corners were 1.8 brakes, but the drivers side front was 1.6. I completed the 1.8 brake swap by buying the bracket on ebay.

[...]

-spray painted it with several 99 cent spray paint cans from Home Depot

Good work dude. I have a ghetto spraypainted stock NA bumper in my basement, too bad you're far away.

Jealous of the 99 cent spray cans. What prep did you do?

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good work dude. I have a ghetto spraypainted stock NA bumper in my basement, too bad you're far away.

Jealous of the 99 cent spray cans. What prep did you do?

The whole car was already painted in gray primer, we literally just spray painted on top of that. I forgot to mention that I swapped the already black hood and trunk lid from that black Miata shell.

And that's too bad with the stock front bumper. I have one from my red Miata but the mounting tabs need to be bent back in to shape

urakawa fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 8, 2016

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

kimcicle posted:

I've been following along with your Miata exploits, and I have no clue where you're finding these cars for those prices. Tell me your secrets!

My first Miata I found through Copart for $650 out the door, but I wouldn't recommend going that route unless your state lets regular individuals buy from salvage auctions.

Besides that, I joined all the local Miata / Miata parts for sale Facebook groups. For me it's Socal Miata Parts. Sometimes good deals are there. I ended up buying my bucket seat ($80) from a guy on there who was parting out his car, and then later he agreed to give me his shell and sold me some other bits (hood, doors, trunk lid, transmission) for cheap.

For my Craigslist finds, I use this smartphone app called "Cpro Craigslist"

On it I select all the counties in my state and use these filters:
clean title, manual transmission, price from 100, and car make and model: Miata.

Sort by lowest price or newest and you may find some gems if you are quick. I saw the $600 gray 1.8 Miata posted "an hour ago" so I was lucky.

I guess the last tidbit is just old school junkyard finds. I got a set of eclipse air vents that way, and a OEM 2005 Honda Accord navigation DVD player for $45 (ebay was selling them for $200+). Unfortunately Miatas are hard to come by, my junkyard never has any.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Girlfriend dropped the bomb on me that she wants me to sell the Miata last night. So that's going to lead to some fun arguments.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Girlfriend dropped the bomb on me that she wants me to sell the Miata last night. So that's going to lead to some fun arguments.

She means sell it... and get an ND?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Obviously she's jealous of the miata.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Sever

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sell her instead

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Reinstall the passenger seat and take for a ride once and a while?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
With it being April and still snowing she pointed out that I still have other financial priorities then to have a car sit for 6 months of the year.

She's not entirely wrong buy I ain't selling poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Buy winter tires instead. Problem solved.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Move to a warmer climate. Problem solved. :colbert:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Sell it and buy a motorcycle.

Or just buy a motorcycle out of spite. Have two things sit for half the year.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Buy a motorcycle out of spite. Have two things sit for half the year.

This is the correct response.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TheNothingNew posted:

Sell it and buy a motorcycle.

Or just buy a motorcycle out of spite. Have two things sit for half the year.

3 if you count his penis.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Move to a warmer climate. Problem solved. :colbert:

But not to Florida, the roads here suck. Tennessee or South Carolina have got to be the best states to own a Miata.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Seattle is pretty good too! Right? Right? :smith:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

3 if you count his penis.

:vince: :drat: :iceburn:

leica posted:

But not to Florida, the roads here suck. Tennessee or South Carolina have got to be the best states to own a Miata.

I hear Austin is pretty nice?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

leica posted:

Can confirm. :smug:

Unless you have any pollen allergies, in which case you're hosed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I hear Austin is pretty nice?

gently caress off we're full

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Charlotte has to be close to perfect for miatas. With seat warmers it's a 10 or 11 month car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I actually meant NORTH Carolina, but South probably isn't bad either i suppose.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

gently caress off we're full

Wow rude.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Nocheez posted:

Charlotte has to be close to perfect for miatas. With seat warmers it's a 10 or 11 month car.

Can confirm, top down at least once a week all year, often every day, here in Raleigh

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Nocheez posted:

As a triangle resident, I refuse to acknowledge that Charlotte is good for anything.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

FatCow posted:

As a triangle resident, I refuse to acknowledge that Charlotte is good for anything.

Beer? They have some good breweries.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

leica posted:

Posting from California to challenge this.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Posting from California to challenge this.

Sorry but your roads are too crowded to enjoy handling.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Sc is good for cheap clean cars, but we have limited number of awesome roads till you get to the north west corner of the state. No emissions testing is a big plus.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

GEMorris posted:

Sorry but your roads are too crowded to enjoy handling.
California is not Los Angeles

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

California is not Los Angeles

Yep looks perfect!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My miata would run out of gas before reaching a corner.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep looks perfect!
Keep hatin', flyover states.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0496514,-122.6745301,3a,75y,244.91h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soBkOg-Ln-P13wy-lwi9qJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0445243,-122.619732,3a,75y,80.44h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg3FRZAzFNb7BnV1om9GbGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

//edit to not just be a troll: is this the place to talk about our favorite routes or have we got another thread for that?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TIL that this is a thing. We don't have flying pigs operating speed traps in my major metropolitan area. :)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yeah, you may not "get" Miatas.

Pretty much any eastern state that gets a piece of the Appalachians can throw its name in.

E: missed the central CA update.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure all the radar enforced by aircraft signs are just bullshitting or hold outs from an American age where flying a Cessna didn't cost an arm and a leg. I just can't see anybody justifying the cost of a plane and pilot these days just to nab speeders. I hope they put Stuka sirens on them just for comedic effect though

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

I'm pretty sure all the radar enforced by aircraft signs are just bullshitting or hold outs from an American age where flying a Cessna didn't cost an arm and a leg. I just can't see anybody justifying the cost of a plane and pilot these days just to nab speeders. I hope they put Stuka sirens on them just for comedic effect though

Back in 01 I got spotted by a Cessna on i10.

86 in a 70. In a Windstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Just got back from scouting a new fun route in northern VA, elevation, twisties, some straights and some cool down mainstreet stuff. Locked up the fronts once, so that's a good sign.

MPRZ0349
by Bud, on Flickr

Bud fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 14, 2016