Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

How loving dumb would you have to be to sign on to the notion of doing away with the IRS? I'm thinking pretty much "medically diagnosable" dumb but I'm open to counterpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Darkman Fanpage posted:

If you're stupid enough to live in Indiana you're stupid enough to vote for Cruz.

Hey! I'll probably vote for... Bernie. :qq:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

a nice reminder for everybody who's worried that if cruz gets the nomination, he'll have more than a snowball's chance of winning.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Is there a good article explaining the nuances of Delegate selection, and how the delegates that are ostensibly pledged for Trump end up being Cruz supporters? I get that Cruz is somehow recruiting second ballot candidates, but how that process is games or manipulated is pretty opaque to me.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Vox Nihili posted:

How loving dumb would you have to be to sign on to the notion of doing away with the IRS? I'm thinking pretty much "medically diagnosable" dumb but I'm open to counterpoints.

When your entire plan is to introduce a massive tax cut to the richest people and gently caress the poor in about 20 different ways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Dumb enough to put your SSN on a post card, at least.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Writing your SSN on a postcard is a really good idea. :downs:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/dbernstein/status/720255177933135872

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/bfouhy/status/720271265504698368

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

If you literally believe that the U.S. Government is the tool of the devil or some other bullshit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Up escalators, not stairs, surely.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa negging is real

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Of course! There won't be any IRS to audit you anyway!

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Tsundere for Trump

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Like a dog!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

When your entire plan is to introduce a massive tax cut to the richest people and gently caress the poor in about 20 different ways.

That's just boilerplate GOP policy, though, "abolishing" the IRS is barely even related. What Cruz is selling is more akin to immediately shuttering the entire United States federal government.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Jeez this is dumb.

Right off the bat, I'm wondering how I calculate line 4? What qualifies as a deduction? I assume I'll need another worksheet (and therefore tax software) for that? And what if I have non-wage income - where do my social security and medicare taxes, and non-wage income, go? Does the IRS still exist for everyone who receives a 1099 or does work for themselves?

The answer to these questions is, of course, that the form doesn't take any of those situations into account because nothing about Cruz's plan is designed to actually be implemented. It's empty political pandering.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dalaram posted:

Is there a good article explaining the nuances of Delegate selection, and how the delegates that are ostensibly pledged for Trump end up being Cruz supporters? I get that Cruz is somehow recruiting second ballot candidates, but how that process is games or manipulated is pretty opaque to me.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/10/a_contested_republican_convention_explained.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

squidgee posted:

It's empty political pandering.

Ya think?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Travolata was great in Grease, thus defeating both the anti-musical crowd and the anti-Travolta crowd in one fell swoop.

Also, Megyn Kelly and Trump are both working for the Hillary campaign to undermine the GOP from within. Bill O'Reilly too. And the entire GOP too.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Much appreciated!

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
TRUMP!

*blindly fills in circles on ballot from under the powertrain unit of a bulldozer*

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Trump does not have stairs?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

zoux posted:

Ya think?

It's just so blatant for a frontrunner. Usually this stuff is reserved for the <10% poll number loonies.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

:eyepop:

Unstumpable.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Trump does not have stairs?

Stairs are for losers, winners ride escalators.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Vox Nihili posted:

That's just boilerplate GOP policy, though, "abolishing" the IRS is barely even related. What Cruz is selling is more akin to immediately shuttering the entire United States federal government.

Well yeah but my point was that it's just a side effect of his flat tax plan that is automatically a regressive tax on the poor.

But yeah someone whoever said this is just blatant pandering is right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

squidgee posted:

It's just so blatant for a frontrunner. Usually this stuff is reserved for the <10% poll number loonies.

True. I was actually wondering if there's ever been a GE candidate that had a flat tax policy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This is stupid on so many levels.

Before I even get to the content, why the hell is it such a low quality image? It's barely readable!

Also this doesn't seem much like a flat tax with all these deductions and tax credits.

Also also this seems fundamentally identical to the tax forms we have now, except with a single tax bracket and no explanations for anything.

But I think the key thing is point 1: He doesn't expect any of his supporters to actually read it, so why would it matter?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also also this seems fundamentally identical to the tax forms we have now, except with a single tax bracket and no explanations for anything.

That's the other awesome thing about this plan - that's basically just a form 1040 with all the instructions removed so it fits on a postcard.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

squidgee posted:

Cruz is a <10% polls number loonie in spirit. Sad.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have a one line tax form proposal:

"Put how much your income you think should be taxed here. Don't worry, we'll do the math later."

Since that's functionally identical to what he's already proposed anyway.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
whatever happened to the sex scandal that was going to destroy cruz

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

GlyphGryph posted:

I have a one line tax form proposal:

"Put how much your income you think should be taxed here. Don't worry, we'll do the math later."

Since that's functionally identical to what he's already proposed anyway.

Ben Carson's tithe plan is real!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

This is stupid on so many levels.

Before I even get to the content, why the hell is it such a low quality image? It's barely readable!

Also this doesn't seem much like a flat tax with all these deductions and tax credits.

But I think the key thing is point 1: He doesn't expect any of his supporters to actually read it, so why would it matter?

It's just one of those seems-like-common-sense things that the right is always peddling toward low info voters. A flat tax, charging everyone the same, seems like a fair, simple idea until you drill down and look at total income shares going to critical needs, loopholes and tax tricks that favor people who can pay a lot for good accountants, etc. It's like "run government like a business" and "government finance is identical to household finance" that trades on the incuriousness of the right's base.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Negligent posted:

Nothing. None of the women admitted to it and the video showing him leaving hotels with women not named Heidi has not been released.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

The world's population couldn't stomach the thought of Ted Cruz having sex long enough for it to become a big deal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Negligent posted:

Remember in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy where their ship had a cloaking device that made it so the ship was "somebody else's problem" and thus no one wanted to look at it?

The idea of sex with Ted Cruz is having the same effect. He could be loving in the reflecting pool and the news would report on mysterious ghost splashes at the capitol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/pollsterpolls/status/720279708911308800

• Locked thread