Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Iron Tusk posted:

The only thing I remember about BST's from XI was that they were always that weird person that talked in LS but you never actually saw their character in game ever.

Part of that was because for the longest time taking one in a party penalized your EXP. By the time they fixed it BST had cemented itself into the playerbase as a solo job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish they'd just ditch job stones entirely and just make the classes into 1-60 jobs instead.

Also, replace the Warrior flavour with the Marauder, because pirate monster hunter is a lot cooler than angry barbarian.

This was actually in the original "vision" for FF14 1.0, since it seemed Tanaka wanted to distance himself from XI's jobs, so the only ones available at launch were the base classes (Gladiator, Thaumaturge, etc).

It was only after it came to light that the game was a total dumpster fire and Tanaka was given the boot that the concept of "Jobs" with the more iconic Final Fantasy professions was introduced and eventually patched into the game.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It is kinda odd that they called it Warrior instead of, well, Berserker, though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Because Warrior/Fighter is a more iconic name

Gotta appeal to the fanbase

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hivac posted:

Because Warrior/Fighter is a more iconic name

Gotta appeal to the fanbase

Warrior / Berserker are different jobs though. Berserker jobs are always uncontrollable (Umaro, for example).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fount of knowledge posted:

This was actually in the original "vision" for FF14 1.0, since it seemed Tanaka wanted to distance himself from XI's jobs, so the only ones available at launch were the base classes (Gladiator, Thaumaturge, etc).

It was only after it came to light that the game was a total dumpster fire and Tanaka was given the boot that the concept of "Jobs" with the more iconic Final Fantasy professions was introduced and eventually patched into the game.

I mean just change the term "class" to "job" and combine e.g. GLD and PLD progression into a single, 1-60 class (that the game calls your job), with the bonuses baked in instead of the job stone existing at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean just change the term "class" to "job" and combine GLD and PLD progression into a single, 1-60 class (that the game calls your job), with the bonuses baked in instead of the job stone existing at all.

That's a bigger overhaul than you'd think though, since apparently the game is still using databases from 1.0.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

That's a bigger overhaul than you'd think though, since apparently the game is still using databases from 1.0.

I can't see how that could even prevent them from doing that. Replace the text string "Gladiator" with "Paladin," add some rows to the Gladiator skill unlock table, copy the information from the Paladin table to the newly-expanded Gladiator table, remove job stones from the game, done. I mean, yeah, it's a pain for them to do, but the game still being built on top of 1.0 databases doesn't stop them from editing the data that's there. :v:

e; vv

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you a PM or are you in sales?

That was sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious. :v: I do a fair bit of T-SQL work, I am aware databases don't work like that.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 13, 2016

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't see how that could even prevent them from doing that. Replace the text string "Gladiator" with "Paladin," add some rows to the Gladiator skill unlock table, copy the information from the Paladin table to the newly-expanded Gladiator table, remove job stones from the game, done. I mean, yeah, it's a pain for them to do, but the game still being built on top of 1.0 databases doesn't stop them from editing the data that's there. :v:

Spoken like a true software developer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lemon-Lime posted:

Somewhere, a Square Enix developer's monocle pops out.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Warrior / Berserker are different jobs though. Berserker jobs are always uncontrollable (Umaro, for example).

Warriors in full-on fell cleave mode are also uncontrollable. :rimshot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemon-Lime posted:

i'm dying, i've died, you've killed me stone dead

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

seiferguy posted:

Except in FFX-2 and FFTA2.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
No, you see, database migrations with a huge dataset are really easy. Obviously SE are just :effort:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The true Berserker experience is in FF5, and to replicate that experience in FF14, you play Warrior, never leave Deliverance, mash tab so that every move is randomly targeted, do not stop moving before, between, during, and after pulls; and finally, have a Bard around to constantly babysit you because lord knows you need it.

For extra credit, dress in animal parts. If you have no PvP gear, the coeurl hat from the Gold Saucer will serve perfectly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mazed posted:

For extra credit, dress in animal parts. If you have no PvP gear, the coeurl hat from the Gold Saucer will serve perfectly.

Sohm Al set! A shame that the Skyhunter's helm is the one that looks like an animals head though. Suppose you can go with the Wyvernskin Mane though.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 13, 2016

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

:golfclap:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

:allears:

I have nothing useful to add.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mazed posted:

The true Berserker experience is in FF5, and to replicate that experience in FF14, you play Warrior, never leave Deliverance, mash tab so that every move is randomly targeted, do not stop moving before, between, during, and after pulls; and finally, have a Bard around to constantly babysit you because lord knows you need it.

Also unequip anything that has accuracy on it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mazed posted:

I kind of want to do this and see how long it takes for me to get kicked from an instance.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

PUP was so fun and so cool in concept but as the kids used to say, lolpup

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Philip Rivers posted:

PUP was so fun and so cool in concept but as the kids used to say, lolpup

All the DRGs cheered the day it came out.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mazed posted:

Don't forget to waste GCDs against imaginary targets on random bosses because nothing's like fighting Ned and having your Berserker swing at air half the time!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

All the DRGs cheered the day it came out.

Call Wyvern being DRG's 2 hour was quite possibly the single worst design decision ever made in FFXI and wow is that saying a lot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but why not just make a new game for the same-ish budget?

Also, we need more job stones, not less. The smn/sch thing owns, even if I don't like smn. A lot of the same skills, completely different role.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Philip Rivers posted:

Call Wyvern being DRG's 2 hour was quite possibly the single worst design decision ever made in FFXI and wow is that saying a lot.

They did, eventually fix that, but yeah, probably the worst piece of design work in an MMO still in existence.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hey you know what would be really funny? What if there was a class where like a third of their DPS vanished every time they got AoE'd and they couldn't get it back for over an hour?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Truga posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but why not just make a new game for the same-ish budget?

Also, we need more job stones, not less. The smn/sch thing owns, even if I don't like smn. A lot of the same skills, completely different role.

The problem with that is how the stat allocation system means you have to make a conscious choice between which class you prefer to play, reset everytime you play a different one, or accept you're making one better at the expense of the other.

The stat allocation system can go too because it's such a ridiculous no-choice in any class.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

The stat allocation system can go too because it's such a ridiculous no-choice in any class.

Yeah, this is the fix for that. Especially since HW. The stat allocation is now 3% of your main stat/vitality.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Truga posted:

Yeah, this is the fix for that. Especially since HW. The stat allocation is now 3% of your main stat/vitality.

That high?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Market Board to finally get partial term searching in 3.3

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4en53o/we_will_finally_be_able_to_search_partial_terms/

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Leofish posted:

but what about an evasion/drain-based tank?

I hope this never happens because evasion tanks are poo poo.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Scrublord Prime posted:

Don't forget to waste GCDs against imaginary targets on random bosses because nothing's like fighting Ned and having your Berserker swing at air half the time!

Ned?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

NeoExDeath

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

They did, eventually fix that, but yeah, probably the worst piece of design work in an MMO still in existence.

I dunno, XI had a lot of those. Like the entire design of the summoner class (prior to being reworked several times over the years).

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Also any melee damage greater than 0 that wasn't also part of a skillchain actively punished the players for inflicting. XI's TP system was objectively horrific and absolutely boneheaded.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hunter Noventa posted:

You never know, they're strongly hinting that we're going to Ala Mhigo next, and I'd almost think they would save Samurai for going to Doma.

Or they could bring it to us like they've already done for Ninja.

Still hoping Samurai ends up being a FFT-based class. Heavy armor DPS with int as their primary stat and their abilities are the various Draw skills. :getin:

Kwyndig posted:

Ninja is pretty low on the melee DPS hierarchy but if you're coming out below other ninja then there might be problems with your rotation, yeah.

As long as they have a basic rotation down they'll still out-DPS a lot of people. They just need to keep the attack speed buff up and remember to fuma or raiton occasionally. People need to remember that unless they're doing progression content, their DPS is going to be more than enough as long as they're doing positionals properly and not forgetting to use oGCD skills.

Leofish posted:

Troll option: Blue Mage is tied to your Triple Triad cards. Your abilities are based on the skills possessed by the characters on the five cards in your special BLU deck.

The job stone comes from winning a tournament.

:v:

Can't wait to see the DPS from a BLU whose deck consists of Bahamut, Midgardsormyr, Odin, Louisoix, and Ultima Weapon Godbert. :getin:

Lemon-Lime posted:

:dogbutton:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I think SE learned their lesson about evasion tanks after the eventual revelation FFXI's playerbase had with Ninja tanks. They did everything they could to ensure the playerbase that Ninja in XIV would not be a viable tank as a result.

I think an evasion tank is still a cool idea, but they would need to seriously plan to make one realized in XIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Oh man, finally. I've been waiting forever for them to do this.

• Locked thread