Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Elblanco posted:

So I just started reading this thread and realized that the tips in the beginning are about five years old. Overall is there a general shopping list for if I want to make good food cheap? I know that sounds vague, but I'd like to start home making as much as I can and I'm trying to eat healthier. Also, with a family of four, cooking in bulk is something that would help a lot too.
The economics of food haven't changed in five years - things that were cheap back then (beans, rice, vegetables on sale) are cheap now. Here's a schematic shopping list though:

• Beans/pulses/lentils that are on sale.
  • Rice that is on sale.
  • Vegetables that are on sale, plus onions or garlic if you are running low one either.
  • Fruit that is on sale.
  • Any spices you are running low on.
  • Any oil that you are running low on, or that is on sale enough to make it worth picking up.

Shop like that and you can eat cheap and healthy for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you have one of those bulk stores, that's a good place to buy rice (for me anyway). Bought a 50lb bag for $15 a long time ago and still have a lot.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The economics of food haven't changed in five years - things that were cheap back then (beans, rice, vegetables on sale) are cheap now. Here's a schematic shopping list though:

• Beans/pulses/lentils that are on sale.
  • Rice that is on sale.
  • Vegetables that are on sale, plus onions or garlic if you are running low one either.
  • Fruit that is on sale.
  • Any spices you are running low on.
  • Any oil that you are running low on, or that is on sale enough to make it worth picking up.

Shop like that and you can eat cheap and healthy for the rest of your life.

This is very true, but I would also add:
  • Stock up when the good flour is on sale
Because I make bread a lot, and using good flour (like King Arthur or some smaller, local brand) makes such a huge difference and does not boost the per-loaf cost that much. It's not that important when you are just learning bread and may throw some batches of experimental dough away, but once you have it down pat, upgrading your flour is huge. Tasty add-ins like flax seed (whole or ground), sunflower seeds, wheat germ, oats, or whole wheat flours, can also boost the nutrition level so you're not eating plain white bread all the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nicol Bolas posted:

This is very true, but I would also add:
  • Stock up when the good flour is on sale
Because I make bread a lot, and using good flour (like King Arthur or some smaller, local brand) makes such a huge difference and does not boost the per-loaf cost that much. It's not that important when you are just learning bread and may throw some batches of experimental dough away, but once you have it down pat, upgrading your flour is huge. Tasty add-ins like flax seed (whole or ground), sunflower seeds, wheat germ, oats, or whole wheat flours, can also boost the nutrition level so you're not eating plain white bread all the time.
I really need to find a breadboard or something to make dough on, my counters are all textured formica and I don't own any wooden cutting boards past like 20".. Are there any decent types of those thin rollable plastic cutting board things that would work for bread dough etc, that wouldn't be obnoxiously sticky to the dough? I tried doing it on the counter but I think because of the texture, it's pretty much impossible to use enough flour to keep it from sticking when I try to roll it out.

I've been wanting to try making pita bread.. It seems like they ought to be easy as poo poo to make. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016071-homemade-pita-bread

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Having staples like flour, yeast and sugar are great because you can make your own dough for bread, pizzas, cake, whatever.

Also, check out small ethnic grocery stores (Italian, Middle Eastern, Asian, Indian) as they will often sell spices that you can't get at the supermarket as well as dried beans, rice, etc. The Lebanese grocer I go to sells bags of pita bread for 80c compared to a loaf of bread costing $4 at the supermarket.

There's a store near me called Not Quite Right that sells groceries really cheap as they're end-of-line stock or failed promotional flavours, overstock, whatever. Most of it is garbage like sweets or tinned food but they also have a lot of spice mixes, curry pastes, and other flavour stuff you can use as a base for meals. This stuff might cost a few dollars each at the supermarket but is usually less than a dollar each at NQR so I'll go there occasionally and buy a few things to keep in the cupboard for when I get bored of my usual repertoire of recipes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

cyberia posted:

Also, check out small ethnic grocery stores (Italian, Middle Eastern, Asian, Indian) as they will often sell spices that you can't get at the supermarket as well as dried beans, rice, etc.
It's always fun to look at the tiny plastic-packed portions of fresh coriander they sell at the normal supermarket, then go to the Indian grocery store and buy a giant bunch that lasts for at least 3-4 pots of stuff for the same price.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I love curries. A lot. Not simply because they are tasty but as mentioned above, pretty cheap to make. I'll ballpark the costs per ingredient as I go except for the rice, because a cup of rice from an 18kg bag is like 4 cents. Maybe.

I live in Toronto Ontario, and usually shop at Superstore. It's considered more expensive than most other grocery stores but it's closest and cleanest, and has everything I need. This is important because chicken prices here are loving ludicrous from what they were even 3-4 years ago. If I'm buying a club/family pack of boneless/skinless breasts it's about $30 give or take. It's a nice treat for this recipe once in a while, but unnecessary. Bones are good. Thighs are good. Skin not so much so tear that poo poo off.

Anyway here we go. Let's make Chicken Bhuna!
Heat a couple tablespoons of veggie oil in a pot. Medium-High on the range is where you want to be.

When the oil is hot, throw in 2 bay leaves, 1-3 cinnamon sticks (usually only 2 but experiment!), 4 green cardamoms, 4-6 cloves and 4-6 whole black pepper. A bag of each of these is no more than $2 normally, and lasts a couple of months (I make this about once a week... maybe twice if I'm lazy, and I'm lazy to the point its a loving virtue)

Let that poo poo heat up so oils are released and mixed with the veggie oil. It'll be plenty fragrant already by this point. It's neat to watch the cinnamon unfurl but don't get carried away.

Next, add a diced up onion. We use standard yellow onions I guess. Let it brown but don't burn it. It's the gravy when all is said and done.

Throw in your chicken. I'm using thighs this time so it takes a little longer to cook. Most of the time I'll use breasts but the same weight in thighs is $10 cheaper per pack. Stir it around a bit.

Add cubed white potatoes (I think I used 3 or 4 bought in bulk for a couple of dollars) and a bit of salt. In the video on youtube I used to watch when I was learning this recipe, salt was 'to taste' which looked like 2-3 tablespoons. I do 2-3 cranks as you can see below, which maybe amounts to half a teaspoon? I don't know.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW
Seriously, now it's time to ramp this bitch up. Add a table spoon of each; Turmeric, Coriander and Cumen. You can add a tablespoon of red chili powder if you want but I'd rather taste the food, not my own mortality, so just use a teaspoon. Also, all four bags of respective spices are like $1.50 and will be used in everything else that we make at home (mostly). Add a tablespoon of minced ginger and minced garlic. About $5 per jar and poo poo lasts forever.

Make a mess. Stir for about 10 minutes and brown that chicken good.

Add boiling water until its covering most of the chicken and potatoes and reduce heat to a nice simmer. Cover it and go make rice. We've been using jasmine lately but basmati rice is the norm. Let the chicken simmer for about half an hour or when the liquid is at your desired consistency. Sometimes you have to add a little more. Sometimes you curse yourself for adding too little. Whatever, just make sure the chicken is cooked.

Here it is simmering.

And as a special treat add some loving raisins to the pot. Just be careful as the green cardamoms aren't so green by this point and will look like the raisins.

And thats it. Sorry I dont have the money shot with the bed of rice and sexy background, But it's a cheap meal that is easy and can (and is!) being done on the cheap. Makes 6-8 servings depending on the cut of chicken. No idea.

Also, you can substitute beef for chicken if you want. Both freeze pretty well, and the servings are only as big as the piece of chicken you want to eat.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Try adding the ground spices before the onions instead of last sometime (if you're afraid of burning them you can also make a paste with some water), then after the onions have cooked add the garlic and ginger. If you cook those in the oil too the whole thing gets even more fragrant.

I don't know why there are so many Indian recipes that gently caress up the tarka part.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 7, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You could render the fat out of the chicken skins so you didn't need to use any vegetable oil

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll be making my first good shopping trip this weekend. I do have one more question about whole chickens though. Are the prebagged ones Ok? I'm kinda iffy about it cause they sit in brine or juices or whatever is in there, but I'd they're just as good as fresh, I'll grab those as some places have those cheaper than fresh.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Elblanco posted:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll be making my first good shopping trip this weekend. I do have one more question about whole chickens though. Are the prebagged ones Ok? I'm kinda iffy about it cause they sit in brine or juices or whatever is in there, but I'd they're just as good as fresh, I'll grab those as some places have those cheaper than fresh.

The only option I have where I live are "whole roaster" and "soup" birds. The only difference is that the roaster ones are fatter and probably older or something. Avoid ones that sit in brine or chicken solution. If they sit in water or otherwise say that they're minimally processed, they're probably ok. It just means you gotta take some paper towels and dry the bird before you roast it.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Illinois Smith posted:

Try adding the ground spices before the onions instead of last sometime (if you're afraid of burning them you can also make a paste with some water), then after the onions have cooked add the garlic and ginger. If you cook those in the oil too the whole thing gets even more fragrant.

I don't know why there are so many Indian recipes that gently caress up the tarka part.

Oops! I should have mention that this is a Bengali recipe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

neogeo0823 posted:

The only option I have where I live are "whole roaster" and "soup" birds. The only difference is that the roaster ones are fatter and probably older or something.

Actually, opposite of that. LET'S BREAK IT DOWN.

A BROILER or FRYER is a young chicken, 6-8 weeks old, 2-5lbs. You can really use them for anything, including roasting, grilling, poaching, ect. You would not want to stew one of these though (in the traditional 'chicken stew' manner, it's fine to cook the bird in another way, remove the meat, turn the bones to stock, and add back the cooked meat at the end of the dish). Their main thing is that they are tender, and do not taste old or gamey.
A ROASTER is an older and larger bird, 3-6lbs, 3-5 months old. They are good for roasting, grilling, and stewing. They take well to longer preperations, and are still tender and not gamey. They still might be on the tough side if stewed.
A STEWER is the oldest and biggest. Over a year old, weighing 4-6 lbs. They are also usually cheaper, because these are generally ex-egg production birds. They are best for stewing and slow cooker preperations. Frying or roasting this bird will leave you with a gamey, tough meal. Not inedible, but certainly different then the chicken you're used to.

A CORNISH GAME HEN is really just a tiny broiler chicken.

Bagged birds are fine. Just make sure that they look more this: , and not like a beach ball. And they're just as fresh usually as the ones in the trays in the butcher's aisle. All of them are pre-frozen if they're coming to you from the super market.

Please try to buy ethically raised chickens whenever possible. Look into local farmers and producers. Learn how to break down whole carcasses and de-bone meat, it will save you lots! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6zfbU0FCI

\/\/Help! I'm poor and want to eat TINY BIRDS\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 9, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cornish game hens own. If you can find frozen ones for like $1.99 each they're p rad. Otherwise, kind of a luxury.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
One last chicken question. Anyone have a good recipe for roasting chicken? Or is an unseasoned bird just as good as seasoned?

I ask because I'm not great at judging spices yet, and I have a poor sense of smell due to medical issues.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Elblanco posted:

One last chicken question. Anyone have a good recipe for roasting chicken? Or is an unseasoned bird just as good as seasoned?

I ask because I'm not great at judging spices yet, and I have a poor sense of smell due to medical issues.

Salt and pepper are all you need to make fantastic, simple roast chicken. The Thomas Keller recipe is a meme for a reason- http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2015/05/thomas-keller-3-ingredient-roasted-chicken.html

If you want to go beyond that- chicken is a relatively blank canvas. You can try a bunch of different stuff and at the very least it's unlikely to clash with the chicken itself. I really like doing a Peruvian style rub(http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html)- it's best when you're grilling but works great in a hot oven as well. Indian spices are great too- cumin, garam masala, turmeric, corriander.

Really it's tough to go wrong with putting spices on chicken. If there's combination you like in some other savory context, it'll probably work on a roasted chicken.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Elblanco posted:

Spatchcock if you can spare the effort or have your butcher do it for you. If they're nice you can even bring a chicken you already bought somewhere else. If not, you'll have to buy a chicken from them before they'll do it. To clarify, I'm talking about a mom 'n' pop. I have never been successful in having the supermarket butcher do it for me, even somewhere that will normally do whatever else I ask, like Costco or Wegmans.

But I use Thomas Keller's recipe when I'm feeling lazy. So, basically 99% of the time. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-favorite-simple-roast-chicken-231348

I also will occasionally use this one, which is somewhat similar: https://castironbook.com/recipes/classic-roast-chicken-with-lemon-thyme-pan-sauce/

Spatchcocking: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-roast-a-chicken-butterflied-tips.html

Whichever method you use, always season your bird and remember that it's done when the breast hits 150 degrees and the thighs hit 175 degrees. Most recipes will tell you to cook the breast to 160. Never do this. Unless, of course, you enjoy a chicken with a texture similar to sandpaper.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

DARPA Dad posted:

Spatchcock if you can spare the effort or have your butcher do it for you. If they're nice you can even bring a chicken you already bought somewhere else. If not, you'll have to buy a chicken from them before they'll do it. To clarify, I'm talking about a mom 'n' pop. I have never been successful in having the supermarket butcher do it for me, even somewhere that will normally do whatever else I ask, like Costco or Wegmans.

But I use Thomas Keller's recipe when I'm feeling lazy. So, basically 99% of the time. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-favorite-simple-roast-chicken-231348

I also will occasionally use this one, which is somewhat similar: https://castironbook.com/recipes/classic-roast-chicken-with-lemon-thyme-pan-sauce/

Spatchcocking: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-roast-a-chicken-butterflied-tips.html

Whichever method you use, always season your bird and remember that it's done when the breast hits 150 degrees and the thighs hit 175 degrees. Most recipes will tell you to cook the breast to 160. Never do this. Unless, of course, you enjoy a chicken with a texture similar to sandpaper.

I might try spatchcocking tonight. My usual method is just to dry it off well, put some oil on, rub some salt and pepper on the skin, then shove some garlic cloves and lemon inside.

Would you also take the chicken out when the breast hits 150 if you were serving a pregnant person?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My cooking thermometer says 180 for chicken but I usually will take it out in the mid 170s and check to see if the juices run clear or no.. Then I pull some of the meat off the bone and check for it looking bloody. 150 is way, way too low though imho.

Unless you're buying some high-end bird carcasses, there's a lot of horrific poo poo that goes down in the raising and butchering and processing of chickens.

Elblanco posted:

If you stuff the cavity with some garlic and fresh rosemary and the like, it helps a ton. I also like to slit the skin and pull if away from the meat just enough to slide in slices of lemon. If you can't smell it though, then it doesn't really matter. v:shobon:v

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 10, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Elblanco posted:

It isn't technically roasting, but Google Jamie Oliver chicken in milk. Once you make that you'll never do chicken any other way.

Edit: on the temperature thing - just remember that under cooked chicken is pretty much the #1 cause of food poisoning. Chickens are very dirty animals and almost all chicken meat is contaminated with campylobacter or salmonella. If you undercook chicken even slightly you have a very high risk of spending the next week or two sitting on the toilet pretending to be an espresso machine. Never eat chicken that is still translucent or pink, or has blood near the bone.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 10, 2016

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

coyo7e posted:

My cooking thermometer says 180 for chicken but I usually will take it out in the mid 170s and check to see if the juices run clear or no.. Then I pull some of the meat off the bone and check for it looking bloody. 150 is way, way too low though imho.

Unless you're buying some high-end bird carcasses, there's a lot of horrific poo poo that goes down in the raising and butchering and processing of chickens.

If you stuff the cavity with some garlic and fresh rosemary and the like, it helps a ton. I also like to slit the skin and pull if away from the meat just enough to slide in slices of lemon. If you can't smell it though, then it doesn't really matter. v:shobon:v

Your thermometer is behind the times, you only need to cook to 165 as per government safety guidelines. Pulling it from the oven at 160 will get you there.

It is possible to have colour variation or blood with fully cooked chicken. Just get a decent instant read thermometer, it's worth the money.

I am sure someone has statistics on the risk of cooking to 150 but I definitely wouldn't do it when cooking for a pregnant person.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trillian posted:

I am sure someone has statistics on the risk of cooking to 150 but I definitely wouldn't do it when cooking for a pregnant person.

GIVE ME ALL THE RARE CHICKENNNZZZ.

But seriously, so long as you didn't get your chicken out of a gutter, cooking dark meat beyond 165 is a sin. And if you do get your chicken out of a gutter, welp, this is the thread for you anyway.

The Lord Bude posted:

Edit: on the temperature thing - just remember that under cooked chicken is pretty much the #1 cause of food poisoning. Chickens are very dirty animals and almost all chicken meat is contaminated with campylobacter or salmonella. If you undercook chicken even slightly you have a very high risk of spending the next week or two sitting on the toilet pretending to be an espresso machine. Never eat chicken that is still translucent or pink, or has blood near the bone.

The number one cause of food poisoning in the US is from Norovirus, and that's from someone sick handling your food. Doesn't matter what the food. There were 5,461,731 reported cases of Norovirus in 2011. In comparison, 1,027,561 cases of Salmonella were reported in the same year. (http://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/2011-foodborne-estimates.html) Now, Norovirus cant really kill you, and Salmonella can. However, most reported cases of Salmonella in poultry came from ground or pre-processed (broken-down into wings, breasts, ect) birds. You're gonna be pretty safe cooking a whole bird from a trusted source to less then legally ideal temperatures when measured to the thickest part of the meat. Because some of us like to live dangerously delicious.

Also, pinkness at the bone of a chicken is not 'blood'. If you get sick from eating chicken that's slightly pink at the bone, I will personally come out and nurse you back to health with hella boiled and super pastured chicken soup.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 11, 2016

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
^^^ All of that. All of it.

Besides, the inside of any cut of meat (chicken, steak, etc) is sterile. Salmonella lives on the surface of chicken and the surface of eggs. As long as the outside is well seared / browned at high heat, you're safe to do a whole chicken breast. The problem (as this epicurious article explains) is that chicken cavities are the last to come to temp.

Also, when you are temping, you gotta remember you'll get like 5 degrees or more of carryover cooking when you let your whole roasted chick rest. (You'll get less on any bone-in part, like a whole leg or a bone-in breast, but you'll still get some.) So you can safely pull a chicken from the oven at 160 and tent foil and end up hitting 165 sitting on the counter while it rests.

Finally, keep in mind the 165 benchmark is for instant kill of bacteria. One second at 165 and everything is dead. Sous vide cooking (and science) tells us holding stuff at a lower temp for longer will also effectively pasteurize and kill bacteria. What that temp is, I don't know. And for a pregnant woman, well, she can just eat dark meat which tastes fine up at 165 (unlike breast which will be sad dry sandpapery grossness.) But my immune system kicks rear end and I pull my whole roasted chicken at 150 or 155, where the breast is still nice and delicious.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Spatchcocking the bird allows the thighs to cook faster than a bird left together, so the breast won't overcook before the thighs are done.

Save the back for broth, of course.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

DARPA Dad posted:

quote:

Do not baste or add butter or oil. (Keller’s theory is that this creates steam, which inhibits the crispness and tenderness of the chicken). If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

To measure temperature, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should reach 165 degrees F.

Remove chicken from oven and baste with pan juices. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.

Make up your mind Keller.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Like he says, you don't baste while it's in the oven because you don't want to create steam. After you take it out and get ready to eat it, you aren't going to create steam in the oven.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Like he says, you don't baste while it's in the oven because you don't want to create steam. After you take it out and get ready to eat it, you aren't going to create steam in the oven.

I don't really buy it. The bird is leaking juices all over. There's plenty of steam in the oven. If you want to crisp up the skin by keeping it dry fine, but don't pour juice all over your crisp skin at the end!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think what cooks out is mostly fat, which smokes more than steaming? (Open your windows when you're using that recipe, btw!) That said, I don't baste mine at the end either.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

When I roast a chicken, I just shove maybe half a tbsp of butter under the skin of each breast and mush it around with my fingers. I also throw in whatever herbs I want at the time. Doing that, I've never had an issue with the breast meat drying out now the thighs being undercooked, and the skin always crisps up perfectly.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Every oven is different but here are a few tips that might help:

1) Crispness is directly correlated to moisture

2) Paper towels suck out moisture - I always use paper towels to dry off a bird before roasting

3) I'm a big fan of a two temp route for cooking and crisping - think about how you make a really big steak and how it gets two temps***

4) Salting immediately before will salt your bird, salting for 5-30 minutes will pull moisture out of your bird, at about 40 minutes that salty water will start to go back inside of your bird

5) Brushing oil on the bird won't "create steam". It will encourage heat transfer from the air to the bird which means more evaporation. More evap = crisper skin

6) Convection ovens are amazing, but even non convection ovens "convect". Don't use too big of a pan and don't overcrowd your oven or else your air won't move around and encourage that amazing evaporation

*** I used a convection oven at 170d then ripped it at 500. It was *amazing*.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I do mine dried off with a paper towel, into Dutch oven after liberally adding salt and herbs to the cavity then salt pepper and paprika on the skin. 1 hour covered in the oven at 425F, take lid off then 30 mins more. Leaves a crisp on it and a good salty paprika gummy fond underneath the oil to make a pan sauce with if I want it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't really buy it. The bird is leaking juices all over. There's plenty of steam in the oven. If you want to crisp up the skin by keeping it dry fine, but don't pour juice all over your crisp skin at the end!
if you're basting by just pouring the juices over the bird, you're doing it wrong. the skin would be crispy enough by the end that brushing juices on it wouldn't matter.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I agree to a point. The recipe here calls for you to baste it at the end then rest it for 10min. If you served it immediately it'd be fine. Hell hot wings are drowned in butter and hot sauce but still crispy. But let em sit for ten minutes and the skin will absorb the liquid and get soft.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I wanted to share a delicious recipe that has become my go to Sunday night dinner. This is a Greek vegetable dish called 'Briami'. It's very moreish, and I usually just eat it on its own, but for you really want to you can also serve it as an accompaniment to a meat.

Briami. Serves 4-6 as a main.

2 large eggplants (aubergines). I like to use a white fleshed variety with bright purple skin called 'Angela eggplants' but feel free to use whatever you can get locally.

2 large zucchini (courgettes); peeled.

1 green capsicum (bell pepper)

3 large potatoes (around 600g) (whatever local variety is suitable for baking)

2 red onions

10 - 12 cloves of garlic

2 tins of diced tomatoes - check ingredients, avoid anything with salt or firming agents or other additives. Generally speaking if it comes from Italy it won't have rubbish added to it.

2 ripe fresh truss tomatoes, grated.

Large bunch of flat leaf parsley

Large bunch of dill

Extra virgin olive oil - here in Australia we produce very good oil, but if you're going to use European oil it's been my experience that Spanish olive oil isn't as good as Greek or Italian.

[Optional] pinch (or to taste) chilli powder

[Optional] grated cheese, to serve. I use Parmesan but you could experiment with crumbled feta or another Greek cheese like kefalograviera.

1. Preheat oven to 200c

2. Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices. Slice up your onions - not too fine - thin wedges like you'd see in a stir fry. Slice your eggplant and zucchini into finger width slices. I cut them on the diagonal to make larger slices. Salt the eggplant and zucchini slices on both sides and place on paper towels to absorb excess water. Cut the capsicum into quarters, and remove the seeds and pith. Cut into rough slices. Roughly chop the herbs. Peel and cut the potatoes into finger width slices, and then Microwave them on high for 3.5 minutes, in a sealed bowl with a splash of water and a couple of teaspoons salt. Keep the leftover salty water.

3. Get a large baking dish. I use Pyrex. Scatter the onions and half the garlic on the bottom. Sprinkle half the herbs on top of the onions, and throw in the salty water and grated fresh tomato. Layer all the vegetables, with the potatoes on the top. Sprinkle with chilli if you are using it. Sprinkle the rest of the herbs and garlic over the top, then finally the tins of tomato. Drizzle generously with the olive oil - you want to use about half a cup of oil.

4. Cover the dish tightly with aluminium foil, and bake for 60 minutes, then remove the foil and return the dish to the oven for another 30 mins.

5. Optional - serve with the grated cheese.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

The Lord Bude posted:

2 ripe fresh truss tomatoes, grated.

How do you grate a tomato?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cyberia posted:

How do you grate a tomato?
Over regular grater. Yes, it's messy. Peeling tomatos beforehand can be helpful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Actually if you just hold the tomato from the stalk end and run it back and forth along the grater it peels itself, because the skin remains behind as the flesh passes through the grater.

You can use just tinned tomato if you want, I just think using a combination of fresh and tinned gives a nicer flavour because the tinned tomato is sweet and rich while the fresh is more acidic.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 24, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I made orzo salad last night with dinner and I'm posting it because it's great to bring to parties and isn't a super gross pasta salad covered in bottled salad dressing or mayo.

1 box of orzo pasta, cooked and rinsed until cool
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
4 handfuls of spinach
Juice of 1/2 lemon or apple cider vinegar
Equal amount of olive oil
1 tsp salt
Basil, oregano whatever spices you want
1 cup feta cheese

Really just put it all together and chill for an hour or so before serving. You can use soy feta or forego the cheese to make it vegan-friendly, or use gluten-free orzo for a wider audience.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Orzo salad is a summer staple for me, it's quick and tasty. For the dressing I normally make a vinaigrette with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and 1tbsp mustard then whisk in olive oil until it's the consistency / flavour you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I'm fairly decent at cooking cheaply, but a lot of what I make requires refrigeration. I'm about to need to take lunch to work every day where I won't have access to a fridge for the next month. What are some good suggestions for cheap lunches/snacks that don't require refrigeration beyond just sandwiches/trail mix/veggies?