Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Squinty posted:

Tilda Swinton as a monk/kung-fu wizard is as ridiculous as I imagined it would be.

It's pretty ridiculous we're getting her instead of a cool Asian actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

Made me wonder what's the most films a villain as appeared in as a villain (where they are not also protagonist)? Plenty of villains in 2 flicks, what about recurring villain 3+ times? Just thinking if they had IW1+2 about him and a precursor movie to have 3 with him as the main antagonist, would've needed a meatier core than the usual Marvel villains to sustain.

I guess Vader counts, some guys from James Bond maybe, most of the others I can think of sideline the villain or turn him into a sort-of ally by the 3rd movie. But like, the main big bad, 3 times. Even Magneto is iffy in X2.

If you go into the horror genre there's plenty of them that have appeared 5+ times.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equeen posted:

Bae Doona would be fun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still want that Aunt May spinoff where she's trying to hide her relationship with Doctor Octopus from Peter.
Fixed that for you.

Man, it's like you don't even read funnybooks. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 13, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fixed that for you.

I love how totally creepy Doc Ock is. "Yeah, I'm doin' your mom!" :troll:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fixed that for you.

In a world inhabited by MODOK, Mojo and Mole Man, Aunt May is still somehow the least fuckable living being.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fixed that for you.

I never liked that storyline.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Doctor Strange trailer lookin' real hackish.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Electromax posted:

As it's been discussed around here before, sounds like a Thanos-centric GotG2 or Thor 3 is unlikely:

Made me wonder what's the most films a villain as appeared in as a villain (where they are not also protagonist)? Plenty of villains in 2 flicks, what about recurring villain 3+ times? Just thinking if they had IW1+2 about him and a precursor movie to have 3 with him as the main antagonist, would've needed a meatier core than the usual Marvel villains to sustain.

I guess Vader counts, some guys from James Bond maybe, most of the others I can think of sideline the villain or turn him into a sort-of ally by the 3rd movie. But like, the main big bad, 3 times. Even Magneto is iffy in X2.

probably hitler

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm pretty sure Newspaper Spider-Man had a recent plot with Aunt May falling for a villain (Mole man?!?)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Doctor Strange trailer lookin' real hackish.

For something promised as psychedelic it looks very tame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

In a world inhabited by MODOK, Mojo and Mole Man, Aunt May is still somehow the least fuckable living being.

Mole Man disagrees.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Mole Man disagrees.

How I Met Your Mole Man

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

For something promised as psychedelic it looks very tame.

It reminds of when Inception came out, and many critics were upset that it wasn't just the city-flipping scene over and over again.

But more specifically, it reminds of a bottom-tier Harry Potter sequel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Moleman is legit one of the richest people on the planet.

Aunt May is just a gold digger

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If MODOK shows up in Infinity War I will lose it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Equeen posted:

This was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer. It's just bizarre. Why are they deliberately using Eastern imagery and then having the enlightened master played by a white lady?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

America isn't ready for Asian people ^starring^ in comic book movies?

edit for clarity

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It is very important to cast races into roles that are stereotypical of their people.

I feel very uncomfortable when a rich tycoon is played by a non-white, a criminal is played by a non-black, a mystic is played by a non-asian, a working class white is not played by someone who looks explicitly italian or irish, or when an immigrant is non-hispanic.

I was also very upset that the Mandarin was not an oriental.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 13, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is very important to cast races into roles that are stereotypical of their people.

I feel very uncomfortable when a rich tycoon is played by a non-white, a criminal is played by a non-black, a mystic is played by a non-asian, a working class white is not played by someone who looks explicitly italian or irish, or when an immigrant is non-hispanic.

Hey you know what's nice?

Not changing one of the few good guy Asian roles to be white for no goddamn reason

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I'm a progressive because I liberate minorities from roles and put white people in them instead.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

yea the problem with this is that only the one side ever gets subverted, so you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color, but all the roles that you are trying to avoid stereotype-casting as a person of color become white.

The Ancient One was a tibetan monk but now its a super super white lady, ok whatever. But Iron Fist is still a white dude. Dr Strange is a white dude (maybe the whitest dude).

So the total balance of things is minus one minority character in the universe. Preeeeeeeeeeetty lame.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this isn't the right thread for this but there isn't a right thread for this so gently caress it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

FUUUUUUCK YES

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Agreed that not only one side should be subverted, but saying that a mystical orient character written during the days of Yellow Panic is a positive role that should be preserved is pretty questionable. They also made Baron Mordo Black, which he has never been in the source material, but was a good choice as well!

Pictured below: An Asian stereotype that should definitely be a source of pride in 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

yea the problem with this is that only the one side ever gets subverted, so you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color

Edit: Samuel L Jackson only half counts because his character was changed to African American in the comics but he'd been white for nearly 40 years before that

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 13, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I actually feel that casting a woman as the Ancient One is pretty cool.

It would be neat to see an Asian actor portraying a martial arts guru in a film for once, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I'm still angry he wasn't in Batman Forever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Burkion posted:

So this isn't the right thread for this but there isn't a right thread for this so gently caress it

FUUUUUUCK YES

I'm digging it, but it's really weird that the trailer blows its load in the first couple of shots, only to then seemingly build up to showing Godzilla again. It's as though the trailer starts at the end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrVenkman posted:

I'm digging it, but it's really weird that the trailer blows its load in the first couple of shots, only to then seemingly build up to showing Godzilla again. It's as though the trailer starts at the end.

If the rumors about Godzilla's form changing through out the movie are true, these are all super early shots of him.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Oh boy the Iron Fist movie will be fun because people will bitch that the cast has to be either asian or not asian.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

FUUUUUUCK YES

How did I miss this?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: Samuel L Jackson only half counts because his character was changed to African American in the comics but he'd been white for nearly 40 years before that

Only one of these characters matters to the current MCU and isnt even a primary protagonist. I know that some characters have been cast as a PoC, but it'd be cool to have more leads & primary characters filled with more diverse actors/actresses :) Especially for asian dudes, who basically never get to be leads. So even if say Iron Fist would have been a bit stereotypical to make a martial artist asian, it would have been a lead role for an asian guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It literally just dropped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

It literally just dropped.

No, I mean how did I miss your post?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The super-heavy emphasis on his swishing tail is interesting, it gives it a fairly distinctive silhouette even from a distance even by Godzilla standards.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

Oh boy the Iron Fist movie will be fun because people will bitch that the cast has to be either asian or not asian.

People were already bitching that the main white character wasn't changed to an asian character weeks ago when the lead actor's name was leaked

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No, I mean how did I miss your post?

I'm very ignorable even when bringing the trailer for the best movie to hit the thread this year

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Burkion posted:

FUUUUUUCK YES

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in how homogenous the casting is here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

I know that some characters have been cast as a PoC

Well then you shouldn't have led your initial argument with "you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurzon posted:

I never go into Suicide Squad and I don't understand the logic of its premise. The SS is this government black ops program composed of supervillains who do black ops missions for the government in exchange for having their records expunged. How can the government do that? What if Deadshot, an assassin with multiple convictions, is caught trying murder someone after being released from the Suicide Squad? Won't that lead to awkward questions? Won't people ask "hey, how come this convicted murderer is walking free with no record?"

I'm pretty sure their records aren't expunged. Instead they take black ops missions with bombs in their heads with the pay off of time off their sentences. So if a super villain with 52 life sentences/on death row does a bunch of missions they get a commuted sentence. So when they go and get the poo poo beat out of them by Batman for the hundredth time and Gotham P.D. is pulling up their records they'll all be there.

Of course part of the idea behind the Suicide Squad is that they're going on suicide missions, which means there's only a small chance of actual commutation coming about.

• Locked thread