Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

They dispersed. MLP and SU were probably the main recipients, but they also briefly surged to OFF (a weird but cool French freeware rpg), and Undertale probably owed a lot of its popularity to Homestuck's residual popularity.

Others joined the jihad in Iraq and Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Are we just assuming based on the trend of obsessive fanbases. Like is there any real data people went from a comic that started with data structure jokes and got more complex from there to a show for six year old girls

I'm not even sure there's a Steven universe connection.

I'm very much tumblr trash and have fallen for all these shows accused of being made for the grand tumblr conspiracy except off (panzer skanks Lp was good but game was too slow) and mlp (why the poo poo did it... Never mind)

I'm still wondering if there are completed internet driven adventures I missed, btw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Until recently, caro

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Despite the fact that I never really got into Homestuck, I've always gotten the feeling that out of all the comics that have come out in the past 10 years, Hussie's work is the most likely to end up in a museum. I don't know what that says about Hussie or museums.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Acne Rain posted:

Are we just assuming based on the trend of obsessive fanbases. Like is there any real data people went from a comic that started with data structure jokes and got more complex from there to a show for six year old girls

I'm not even sure there's a Steven universe connection.

I'm very much tumblr trash and have fallen for all these shows accused of being made for the grand tumblr conspiracy except off (panzer skanks Lp was good but game was too slow) and mlp (why the poo poo did it... Never mind)

I'm still wondering if there are completed internet driven adventures I missed, btw

Yes? Like here's no big conspiracy to it, if you even remotely watched fans of any of them you would notice almost all fans of one ended up being fans of the other. Like I have a tumblr too and this poo poo is archived yo.

This is especially obvious if you watch fanartists, since the ones that actually make money from it have to viciously latch themselves onto every fad as it appears.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pavlov posted:

Homestuck had the problem of being too far up it's own rear end even for a comic who's primary joke was how far up it's own rear end it was. I got farther than most but I just couldn't get through it. Had a lot of cool forums adventures come out of its forums though, not even including the ones that became standalone webcomics. I love forums adventure style stuff and wish there was more of it.

I do wonder where all the rabid homestuck fans migrated too; I remember there was a lot of them. I'm guessing my little pony and steven universe?

some are also in jail for bestiality and pedophilia

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hogge Wild posted:

I hope the restaurant-bucket-spitters faced justice.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogge Wild posted:

but enough about goons

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really though it's not like theres some weird reason why people go from one fandom to another. i mean, do any of y'all read just one webcomic and plan to disappear from the internet when it ends/you lose interest/whatever? there's only so many people to go around between popular things, overlap is gonna happen

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's like how Nazis got defectors from among the most fanatic German Communists

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
most homestuck fans grew up, went to college, got jobs, etc. its been 7 years! i think its safe to say most just moved on to things more relevant to their current stage in life

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmm, yes, fans of things are like nazis

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
finally something we can all agree on!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Homestuck fans aren't some kind of ageless biological tube-monster community subsisting around a deep sea hydro-thermal vent. They're human beings who like all sorts of things, and one of the things they happen to like is homestuck, which they posted about on the world wide web. Many grew up, moved on, or remember it fondly and enjoyed seeing it through.

I'm not a homestuck fan, and I sorta missed the boat on it, but it's kinda easy to see how people had a fun time enjoying a thing on the internet that they could relate to and they felt like it resonated with them. Sure, there's definitely a dark side to 'fan communities', but it's even more frightening to remember they are probably mostly real human beings.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Space-Bird posted:

Homestuck fans aren't some kind of ageless biological tube-monster community subsisting around a deep sea hydro-thermal vent. They're human beings
actually, this is incorrect; they're the first thing

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm mostly not real

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

actually, this is incorrect; they're the first thing

All I can imagine is you having diner with a deep sea hydrothermal vent tube monster...you have a lovely dinner. you return home...things get romantic..then suddenly the hydrotermal vent tube monster peels off its its outer carapace to reveal a human face. A Wizard of Goatse screams in horror, hard cut to black.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tollymain posted:

really though it's not like theres some weird reason why people go from one fandom to another. i mean, do any of y'all read just one webcomic and plan to disappear from the internet when it ends/you lose interest/whatever? there's only so many people to go around between popular things, overlap is gonna happen

It's also not as if people ever gather in a place on the internet to talk about a common interest and in the process talk about and get interested in other things as well.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space-Bird posted:

All I can imagine is you having diner with a deep sea hydrothermal vent tube monster...you have a lovely dinner. you return home...things get romantic..then suddenly the hydrotermal vent tube monster peels off its its outer carapace to reveal a human face. A Wizard of Goatse screams in horror, hard cut to black.

That'd be really awkward because those things live on nitrogen or something, so the entire time you're going at it that thing will be breathing poisons in your face

not to kinkshame or w/e

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Space-Bird posted:

was that you

you never called

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

was that you

you never called

Listen Wizard of Goatse...dinner was great... but those anime wallscrolls in your bedroom? ....Not even a single Vash the Stampede... I'm sorry..that's a 'hard no'.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the real miracle is No Scrying updated

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

uh. I suppose they are both stories about the nature of the universe, although they approch that story in a very different way. The funny thing is, even though I understand most of Homestuck I am terribly confused by KSBD.

Depending when you read them, but a few months ago the early chapters of K6BD had their dialogue cleaned up and a few extra pages added to make it easier to understand what was going on.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Neophyte posted:

None of this is showing up for me? Cleared my cache and everything. Main page only shows comic 27 and no commentary or links.

Did bunny schizo mom find Plethora? :ohdear:

Yyyyyeah... Nivose asked me to take them down because the relative they talked about has a wife and family who wouldn't appreciate having his suicide talked about in a bunny comic. I would have liked if he told me his ahead of time so I wouldn't have drawn the drat thing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

AriadneThread posted:

the real miracle is No Scrying updated

do you know if it's going to update more often now?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

do you know if it's going to update more often now?

Sortelli's post under the page says they stalled out because they were toying with the idea of rebooting the comic to fix some earlier mistakes. Now they've come around to just living with it and pushing on through. So... maybe? I hope so!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

AriadneThread posted:

Sortelli's post under the page says they stalled out because they were toying with the idea of rebooting the comic to fix some earlier mistakes. Now they've come around to just living with it and pushing on through. So... maybe? I hope so!

same!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the real question is when is he going to finish Elf Only Inn

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

hmm, yes, fans of things are like nazis

There are a lot of differences though, one of those should not be allowed to propagate in our civilized society, and the other was a fascist movement

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cat Rackham book coming out in September: http://wolfhard.tumblr.com/post/142805280556/you-might-have-heard-the-collected-cat-rackham-is

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saraiguma posted:

the real question is when is he going to finish Elf Only Inn

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i don't like anything

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

tewwific

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Today's Girl Genius has the Foglios drawing some confusing pants geometry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I'm staring at that rear end and tilting my head like a dog presented with a math problem.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Green Intern posted:

They're held up by invisible suspenders.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nimby posted:

Surprisingly plausible within the setting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

I would have said 4th dimensional trousers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plethora posted:

Yyyyyeah... Nivose asked me to take them down because the relative they talked about has a wife and family who wouldn't appreciate having his suicide talked about in a bunny comic. I would have liked if he told me his ahead of time so I wouldn't have drawn the drat thing.

You could have put a fake name for the relative. (Like I don't imagine Nivose was actually christened after a month from the French revolutionary calendar.) Or no name at all, just squiggles on the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Project wonderful has been getting DDOSd for two days now. Right during peak homestuck ad-revenue. I wonder if that's intentional. Or is that a normal thing. I don't know, I've only been using them for ads for a few months.

• Locked thread