Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in how homogenous the casting is here.

Japan is a pretty racist country so what do you expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agreed that not only one side should be subverted, but saying that a mystical orient character written during the days of Yellow Panic is a positive role that should be preserved is pretty questionable. They also made Baron Mordo Black, which he has never been in the source material, but was a good choice as well!

Pictured below: An Asian stereotype that should definitely be a source of pride in 2016.

That doesn't change how hilarious it is to see Tilda Swinton cast into the exact same Yellow Panic character. But it's cool, I think they made Cumberbatch's manservant Asian to make up for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well then you shouldn't have led your initial argument with "you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color"

"Never" never actually means 'never'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure Dr. Strange's live-in lover, Wong, has always been Chinese.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Of course part of the idea behind the Suicide Squad is that they're going on suicide missions, which means there's only a small chance of actual commutation coming about.

That's really what it is. The government really has no intention of ever letting them walk free, they assume nobody would be able to survive these missions long enough to earn the commuted sentence. And Waller being Waller she probably is full of poo poo, she'd just have them disappeared if it really became an issue.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr. Strange's live-in lover, Wong, has always been Chinese.

isn't that who Chiwetel Ejiofor's playing in this? or is he someone else?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Suicide Squad is literally just The Dirty Dozen with supervillains, which in principle is a can't-miss proposition. If that one psycho rapist from TDD had lived to get his sentence commuted it would have looked pretty bad for the US government, too.

(Dear Amanda Waller, please watch TDD before considering putting the Joker on SS.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

isn't that who Chiwetel Ejiofor's playing in this? or is he someone else?

He's playing the traditionally white character Baron Mordo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh that actually makes more sense given the trailer. who's Mads Mikkelson playing then?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agreed that not only one side should be subverted, but saying that a mystical orient character written during the days of Yellow Panic is a positive role that should be preserved is pretty questionable. They also made Baron Mordo Black, which he has never been in the source material, but was a good choice as well!

Pictured below: An Asian stereotype that should definitely be a source of pride in 2016.

You could, I dunno, redesign the character without making the character white

and I mean poo poo, even that look would probably work okay if it was Gordon Liu or another ex-Shaw Bros actor playing it, it's a pretty clear wuxia homage

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh that actually makes more sense given the trailer. who's Mads Mikkelson playing then?

I think they still haven't officially said who he's playing.

Probably another Dark Dimension part being given to a 616 actor though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If it's not Dormammu, who cares?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if Mads Mikkelsen isn't Dormammu I'm gonna be mildly annoyed

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Jared Leto sends weird gifts thing got a lot grosser.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

It'd be cool if POC got to be lead protagonists :angel:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ew.com is right!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

You mean like in Star Wars?

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Burkion posted:

So this isn't the right thread for this but there isn't a right thread for this so gently caress it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

FUUUUUUCK YES

Youtube's acting up for me at the moment. Anyone know if this is hosted anywhere else?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

ew.com is right!

quote:

The actor playing Killer Croc, Akinnuoye-Agbaje, also said the gifts “weren’t right,” but not for the reasons you might expect. “If you’re going to have that kind of party, at least invite The Croc. Don’t send me your dirty leftovers, that just isn’t right… You see why he ain’t part of The Squad, right? That’s just downright selfish.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You could, I dunno, redesign the character without making the character white

Then again they also recast the Yellow Peril character The Mandarin as Guy Pearce and R'as al Ghul (orginally born an Asian/Arabic nomad in the comics) as Liam Neeson.

Jerkface posted:

Will Smith will be starring in Suicide Squad (again playing a traditionally white character) but I dunno if that counts as a protagonist.
Edit: Aquaman too, and he'll even be getting his own film.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Then again they also recast the Yellow Peril character The Mandarin as Guy Pearce and R'as al Ghul (orginally born an Asian/Arabic nomad in the comics) as Liam Neeson.

R'as is actually a fun character, though. I don't know if I'd put that in the plus column.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I hope Mads plays Tiboro, the Tyrant of the Sixth Dimension.

I also hope they repeat his full name as much as possible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mads has played a Bond villain, and an awesome one at that, so if he's anything other than the Big Bad then its a step down as far as I'm concerned. Lets get this guy on the A-list already!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

You mean like in Star Wars?

Edit: Aquaman too, and he'll even be getting his own film.

Yea but ya can't just stop there! Theres lots of ppl out there who want/need representation. I'm white bread and find the glut of white movie protagonists/video game protagonists loving boring. And as the father of a biracial daughter I'd love to see more diverse casts in gender & race.

I hope the Wonder Woman & Aquaman movies kill it. More female lead movies, more ethnic actors for heroes. TFA is one of the movies i cant wait for her to experience because Rey owns, Disney/Kathleen Kennedy did really good to bring those characters to the universe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Basebf555 posted:

Mads has played a Bond villain, and an awesome one at that, so if he's anything other than the Big Bad then its a step down as far as I'm concerned. Lets get this guy on the A-list already!

They already said Mads is playing the villain, they just haven't said who the villain specifically is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

R'as was both an Irishman and a Japanese man.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

They already said Mads is playing the villain, they just haven't said who the villain specifically is.

Ah good. I was worried he'd be similar to Falcone in Batman Begins in terms of screentime.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gyges posted:

R'as was both an Irishman and a Japanese man.

Well there's our biracial character quotient all sewn up :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody ever remembers that Bane got whitewashed as hell too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea but ya can't just stop there! Theres lots of ppl out there who want/need representation. I'm white bread and find the glut of white movie protagonists/video game protagonists loving boring. And as the father of a biracial daughter I'd love to see more diverse casts in gender & race.

I hope the Wonder Woman & Aquaman movies kill it. More female lead movies, more ethnic actors for heroes. TFA is one of the movies i cant wait for her to experience because Rey owns, Disney/Kathleen Kennedy did really good to bring those characters to the universe.

Black Panther isn't until 2018 but he's been getting singled out as awesome in the early Captain America 3 reactions. Hopefully he'll continue to be one of the marquees after the original dudes retire after Avengers 3.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll never top Sean Connery's Highlander character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Sort of, he's a biracial son of a Caribbean rebel and a (blond, blue eyed) mercenary who also wears a luchador mask because of reasons.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That Godzilla trailer is beautiful.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

It's because he has such a lovely voice.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There are rumors that he's Eternity

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's certainly better than "mutie".

So how did Phil react to this?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No, they recast The Mandarin as Ben Kingsley, who is half-Indian.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
First full reviews of Civil War are releasing today.

Empire gave it 5/5 stars and says it is the best Marvel movie to date and the strongest third act of any recent blockbuster film.

Some mild spoilers in the full review.

The interesting thing to me is (very mild spoiler) There is apparently not a major outside villain in the movie. No Hydra false flag.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war/review/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The interesting thing to me is (very mild spoiler) There is apparently not a major outside villain in the movie. No Hydra false flag.

Hehe, some people here and elsewhere were SURE that this wouldn't be the case and Marvel would take the easy way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The same review says there is a meddler who is responsible for sparking the conflict, though it claims their reasoning is also ambiguous.

• Locked thread