Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I witnessed that a few times transporting bikes and found it doesn't take much to keep the rear in place. If the floor is expanded metal, a heavy duty bungee wrapped once around the wheel and hooked to the floor will keep it. Last time I did a tiedown wrapped once around the wheel and secured to the corner d-rings in a truck bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So, based on the advice I have gotten in the local squid buy/sell/trade group, I am either buying a turbo hayabusa or a caged ex stunter GSX-R750 as my first bike.

Seriously though, I have it narrowed down to a handful of SV650s and a CBR500R. There is an SV650S, bananas yellow. 2004, very clean, about 8k miles, handful of mods. The guy is asking 3500, which feels pretty high. What would you guys pay for that bike? The CBR is a 2013, 11k miles, also very clean. Dude is asking around 3400 I think, seems reasonable, maybe I get it for 3000-3200 or so. I like both both bikes, I guess it will just come down to seeing which I like the feel of best. Any input?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One is a v-twin and the other one is the devil's twin, it's a no brainer.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

PaintVagrant posted:

Seriously though, I have it narrowed down to a handful of SV650s and a CBR500R. There is an SV650S, bananas yellow. 2004, very clean, about 8k miles, handful of mods. The guy is asking 3500, which feels pretty high. What would you guys pay for that bike? The CBR is a 2013, 11k miles, also very clean. Dude is asking around 3400 I think, seems reasonable, maybe I get it for 3000-3200 or so. I like both both bikes, I guess it will just come down to seeing which I like the feel of best. Any input?

does the CBR have ABS? that would be a clincher for me. but also because i like hondas better than everything by default

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh if it's ABS then yeah, no brainer in the other direction. If anyone tells you they're glad their bike has no ABS/wish it had no ABS they're a goddamn moron or a goddamn liar.

P-twin is just the price you have to pay for safety I guess.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

No ABS on this CBR. I haven't seen any used ABS CBR500's locally even sort of near my price range yet, and I am not paying 5k for a 500cc bike with 40hp.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Decent for a first bike to recommend to a friend?

I don't know anything about these but it looks rad and it's cheap.

89' VTR250

http://poconos.craigslist.org/mcy/5488922745.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well in that case it's like this: you can buy a bike with an awesome engine, average handling and crap finish which will take you forever to outgrow because of the huge potential for sikk modz and just general awesomeness. Or you can buy a slower, heavier, uglier, higher quality bike with almost no potential at all and all the character of a wet towel.*

*:my personal opinion but not an unpopular one.

Partial Octopus posted:

89' VTR250

They are loving good and that is a steal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's nothing loving wrong with a parallel twin

M42
Nov 12, 2012

parallel twins are literal hitlers

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

there's nothing loving wrong with a parallel twin

v twin supremacy bitch

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I guess the real question is, do I want a cacophony of trombone farts or the drone of a sewing machine that is also sort of farting

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Partial Octopus posted:

89' VTR250

I would buy this today if it were within 100 miles of me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha, the Poconos

realtalk get something fuel injected

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Triumphs with the right pipe sound great.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
P twin literally has the word pee in it

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you get the right pipe for a p-twin the exhauist note literally sounds like it's saying 'heil hitler' over and over, it's true.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It's true, the triple has a genuinely unique sound :smugdog:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

is it a pipe called a different bike

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

That shouldn't happen due to physics. The rear won't move independently from the front unless the handlebars turn. If it's chocked up against something (front of truck box works) and the tie-downs are fore of the axle (like at the corners of the box) it won't move. I've loaded up dualsports, adventure bikes, porky BMW standards, antique enduros and UJMs, and a 700lb Vstar this way.

But either way, side stand up. Hauling on the side stand makes me cringe.

I always haul with the side stand down - you don't actually tension it until the sidestand hits the bed of the truck, but you angle it to that side, and transport it in gear. That way if a tiedown fails, the bike doesn't roll backwards/falls on to the stand. I've had this happen twice in about a decade of transporting bikes, once it was no big deal as the tailgate was up (I think the ratchet wasn't tightened down enough this time and it slipped free), the other time, the bike ended up on the sidestand on a trailer, and if not for being in gear and having the sidestand down, would have either hit the other bike on the trailer and/or slid off the back on the freeway (the tiedown rubbed against a sharp lip on the trailer and frayed through).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

I guess the real question is, do I want a cacophony of trombone farts or the drone of a sewing machine that is also sort of farting

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Triumphs have a 360° firing order, which is why a thruxton with a pipe sounds good. Like two big singles. Because if you're going to be a deviant, at least try to be like a thumper.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:perfect:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Still the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fXTf2hcoA

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVjHWeZy2Us

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

clutchpuck posted:

That shouldn't happen due to physics. The rear won't move independently from the front unless the handlebars turn. If it's chocked up against something (front of truck box works) and the tie-downs are fore of the axle (like at the corners of the box) it won't move. I've loaded up dualsports, adventure bikes, porky BMW standards, antique enduros and UJMs, and a 700lb Vstar this way.

But either way, side stand up. Hauling on the side stand makes me cringe.

The picture is deceptive. The bike is straight-up, not leaned on it's side-stand, like it looks in the photo. In the past I have left it in the down position, but I see the error of my ways after thinking about it. It's more likely to cause harm than good. In my experience bikes only need the front end strapped down, including big fat heavy bikes. Like I said above, the bungee's are in random places in order to justify my wife bringing them. They weren't "load-bearing" if you will

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
10 pages back I talked about getting a Duke 390. Well we pulled the trigger and it is a fun little bike. But it started leaking coolant after approximately 2 miles. Suspect it's just a bad radiator cap. Ready to race?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Like someone said earlier in one of the CA threads, the bike knows you want to go faster so it sheds unnecessary weight as you go.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kastivich posted:

10 pages back I talked about getting a Duke 390. Well we pulled the trigger and it is a fun little bike. But it started leaking coolant after approximately 2 miles. Suspect it's just a bad radiator cap. Ready to race?

Congrats.

Now find a dealer that knows how to actually inspect a bike before letting you ride it off the lot.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
After riding a 2014 BMW 1000RR, why is the answer always the super duke?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Because the S has two too many cylinders for it to be a real honest to god motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

El Jebus posted:

After riding a 2014 BMW 1000RR, why is the answer always the super duke?

Because after the thrill of godly power wears off, you realize being hunched over on a sportbike is for the poors.

The real thrill is taking an unsuspecting passenger past 100mph on the rear wheel on an old mans adventure sport bike.

(The S1000RR is a great bike - it's just very narrow focused and nearly everyone is just as fast on something like a SuperDuke on track as they are on a super bike.)

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
While we're on BMWs, how bad is ownership of a 2005+ K1200/K1300 in terms of expense and dealer only maintenance? I'm pretty handy with a wrench, have a bunch of tools, and can deal with BMW car stuff already.

FWIW, I'm 6'2" and all legs so I'm looking for something sporty where I won't be riding with my knees higher than my hands. I had lowering pegs and VFR bars on the Blackbird, but cycle-ergo makes it look like the BMW would fit better. Also kinda looking at Ducati ST3/ST4s, maybe a ZZR1200, etc. Basically the sport side of sport touring. FJRs start to look a little too upright, but any other suggestions (~$7500) would be welcome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait you want something sporty but you want something upright? What?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mungtor posted:

K1200/K1300
Maaassive loving bikes. Don't handle great. Just good for looking cool on the interstate. Repairs and expenses are about the same for all modern BMWs, which is difficult and a lot.

quote:

ST3/ST4s,
Fantastic and highly underrated bikes. You can usually find them for stupid cheap, considering the performance. And the original luggage is good stuff. Maintenance is awful on the 4 because it's the 916/996 engine more or less.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Wait you want something sporty but you want something upright? What?

No, something sporty but not tiny. It's more about leg room. The Blackbird was a pretty good fit after mods, but I was curious about other stuff. I like to be leaned forward a bit, not upright or in cruiser mode.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Maaassive loving bikes. Don't handle great. Just good for looking cool on the interstate. Repairs and expenses are about the same for all modern BMWs, which is difficult and a lot.

Fantastic and highly underrated bikes. You can usually find them for stupid cheap, considering the performance. And the original luggage is good stuff. Maintenance is awful on the 4 because it's the 916/996 engine more or less.

Thanks a lot for this. Part of the attraction of the K bikes is that they are large, but maybe too big. I will look into the ST3/4 stuff more. They are a bit rare, but look like a great bike for the price.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The group I'm doing a trackday with this sunday includes a guy with one of these, will report back

e: yes the thing is loving MASSIVE in person. The exhaust alone is like 50lb lol

M42 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 13, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

K bikes had some transmission issues. Look out for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mungtor posted:

No, something sporty but not tiny.

B-King!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mungtor posted:

Basically the sport side of sport touring.

Get basically any sporty-ish standard and toss luggage on it. Any bike is a touring bike if you spend enough money on farkles.

My vote is a ZRX1200.