Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh i remember giving up on ironman due to my lovely connection lags cancelling them all the time. Might try it some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

von winsburg

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The new expansion sucks donkey dick and Paradox need to stop putting in needless busy work that only serves to force you to Slow Down And Enjoy the Content, ala Blizzard.

Yolomancer fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 13, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

eu4 has entered the ck2 phase of its lifecycle, and is now bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm glad I remember the good game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i remember when ck2 was good

gently caress you groogy

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

i remember when ck2 was good

gently caress you groogy

I kept playing it after it turned bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The last time it was good was around the time I finished my awesome merchant republic tutorial LP.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Vicky 3 will be good, and then it will be bad after ck3 starts development

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to stellar is

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
eu4 is still fun but it's despite estates, corruption, barbary pirates, privateering/hunt pirates, etc

so many pirates...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
someone told me that conclave makes ck2 good again

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yolomancer posted:

The new expansion sucks donkey dick and Paradox need to stop putting in needless busy work that only serves to force you to Slow Down And Enjoy the Content, ala Blizzard.

BBJoey posted:

eu4 has entered the ck2 phase of its lifecycle, and is now bad.

what happened??

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

what happened??

Mare nostrum added a lot of poo poo that is useless at best and infuriating at worse. gently caress corruption and gently caress territory/state crap, it makes expanding your empire extremely annoying

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is it stuff they added in a patch or stuff I can avoid by not buying the DLC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I remember it right mechanics changes are patched in and buying he DLC gives you access to new starts and countries. I have lamentably fallen off the map wagon

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Is it stuff they added in a patch or stuff I can avoid by not buying the DLC

most of it is patches.

fwiw states are a good system. it mostly gets rid of the stupid 'distant overseas' mechanic which was dumb + arbitrary, it makes advancing technology/admin tech (state centralization) determine how much land your state can effectively administer, which is something i've wanted for a long time. most importantly, it's fun - trying to fill out your states & and 'complete sets' of provinces and clicking the little button to turn territories into states is just all very satisfying. good buttonfeel.

corruption is dumb but blessedly it's relatively ignorable. in practice it just means you probably want to keep admin & diplo tech about 2 behind your miltech rather than letting them languish at the starting levels indefinitely, and you can't really maintain a country with significant religious disunity. it's not a great addition to the game and it doesn't need to be in the top-bar (ridiculous!), but it could be a lot worse.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 13, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Did they make colonizing stuff more manageable? I remember my most successful file spiraled out of control when j tried to colonize America because it drained all my resources and native Americans kept revolting

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can roll back the game to the patch before. You can even roll it back before estates but then you miss out on stuff like non-horrible Ironman

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also they replaced distant overseas with something easy to understand with some insanely complicated states system and non-permanent cores and needing various bonuses based on adm tech or government type and Jesus Christ why did they replace a simple connected-or-not with a huge system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Huge needlessly complicated systems is basically 90% of what makes these games interesting though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Did they make colonizing stuff more manageable? I remember my most successful file spiraled out of control when j tried to colonize America because it drained all my resources and native Americans kept revolting

there's three policies you can set for colonization, one of which makes natives never revolt. (you can also deal with native revolts by just always keeping a single regiment on provinces you're colonizing, but that's sort of fiddly.) it's still as pricey as ever tho.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Also they replaced distant overseas with something easy to understand with some insanely complicated states system and non-permanent cores and needing various bonuses based on adm tech or government type and Jesus Christ why did they replace a simple connected-or-not with a huge system

distant overseas was garbage for idiots

the deep strategic considerations of the 'blocking vassal'... i was born for this poo poo!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

there's three policies you can set for colonization, one of which makes natives never revolt. (you can also deal with native revolts by just always keeping a single regiment on provinces you're colonizing, but that's sort of fiddly.) it's still as pricey as ever tho.

the priciness doesn't bother me, colonizing is a tough process. I probably just expanded too fast because I had never done that well before and took a big red colored poo poo all over Central America and then I was decimated within 10 years.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
here's an easy-to-understand diagram of the distant overseas system

In Training posted:

the priciness doesn't bother me, colonizing is a tough process. I probably just expanded too fast because I had never done that well before and took a big red colored poo poo all over Central America and then I was decimated within 10 years.

the prices go up real fast. you can see it in the budget screen: if you have one colonist, it's $2/month for one colony, $6/month for two, $12/month for three... it's essentially like forcelimits in that going over them is very pricey

you also probably want to grab the caribbean first if you can, since the provinces there are 2-4 times as good as most of the rest of the americas. then maybe eastern america, then wherever. idk

strong bird
May 12, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

here's an easy-to-understand diagram of the distant overseas system

the prices go up real fast. you can see it in the budget screen: if you have one colonist, it's $2/month for one colony, $6/month for two, $12/month for three... it's essentially like forcelimits in that going over them is very pricey

you also probably want to grab the caribbean first if you can, since the provinces there are 2-4 times as good as most of the rest of the americas. then maybe eastern america, then wherever. idk

The green blob doesn't have a bordering ocean province so of course it's 'distant overseas'. The Alaskans will get their before the green blobbers, because they at least have boats.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

states are fine. corruption is stupid and mostly irrelevant unless you have really low religious unity for a very long time. trade leagues seem kind of pointless. sailors i dunno since my only game ive done was messing with milan->italy since i hadnt done it in ages so i wasnt exactly hurting for sailors except for like when i first started touching the sea

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh they seem to have made it so that colonizing africa leaves native culture and native religion alive?? thats a good change probably but kind of irrelvant since it's still dirt cheap to culture convert them and fetishist is like discount conversion

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So is Europa Universalis good or bad.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

DICKHEAD posted:

states are fine. corruption is stupid and mostly irrelevant unless you have really low religious unity for a very long time. trade leagues seem kind of pointless. sailors i dunno since my only game ive done was messing with milan->italy since i hadnt done it in ages so i wasnt exactly hurting for sailors except for like when i first started touching the sea

i forgot your name here is dickhead. lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

It's good. Some new features aren't as good, but overall a fantastic strategy game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

it wont matter in the post hoi4 world

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

it wont matter in the post hoi4 world

I dont care about tanks and war and that kind of crap. I want to levy salt taxes and stuff like that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont care about tanks and war and that kind of crap. I want to levy salt taxes and stuff like that

you can still build dragoons and demand tropical plants from people

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

THis post contained a slur and I am not proud of it.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LMFAO

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i bought stellaris