Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Baal posted:

Jokes on you, those people are suckers

Some of them, sure. Others are actually enjoying the game. Believe it or not.

You can actually enjoy playing a game, not regret buying it, but then talk about how things could be better. Or you can not play the game, not buy it, and talk about how things could be better. Those are both good things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Overwatch is wannabe TF2. It's okay if you like that kind of thing, but "huge" strikes me as... optimistic.

It has a lot different from TF2, and it's a Blizzard game so it's gonna have a big audience

And most importantly, it's designed from the ground up to be played seriously instead of sitting around idling for hats

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

honestly, tf2 isn't the worst thing in the world for blizzard to "blizzard"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobojim posted:

Some of them, sure. Others are actually enjoying the game. Believe it or not.

You can actually enjoy playing a game, not regret buying it, but then talk about how things could be better. Or you can not play the game, not buy it, and talk about how things could be better. Those are both good things to do.

There's actually several different ways you can approach discussing a game and it's not some linear hard path that people are required to adhere to, it's a pretty shocking concept, huh?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Srice posted:

And most importantly, it's designed from the ground up to be played seriously instead of sitting around idling for hats

TF2 was too, then after a few class updates they decided to use TF2 as their testing ground to see if they could make more billions of dollars doing absolutely nothing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

honestly, tf2 isn't the worst thing in the world for blizzard to "blizzard"

My favorite thing about that mess is that TF2 started development on a competitive mode after Overwatch was announced.

Roughly 6 or 7 years too late, there.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I wish I could be as happy as Bipson.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

TF2 was too, then after a few class updates they decided to use TF2 as their testing ground to see if they could make more billions of dollars doing absolutely nothing.

They never, ever attempted any sort of competitive mode until very recently and even then it's only because of Overwatch.

Overwatch meanwhile is all about finding matches and getting games done instead of joking around.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
TF2's biggest failing is that the competitive matches bear no resemblance to the game that most people play.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

tf2 stopped being a "competitive" game because, as it happens again and again and again and again, while people who play games say the want competitive player vs player games, they don't actually want to play them.

they would much rather have games that look sort of like competitive games that are instead about collecting dumb poo poo or spending endless hours grinding to accrue some sort of meaningless rank.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I wish I could be as happy as Bipson.

He's just happy because no matter how little or much we know about this game, we can all pretty much agree bisons pretty drat good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

TF2's biggest failing is that the competitive matches bear no resemblance to the game that most people play.

It's definitely no coincidence that the biggest competitive PC games right now play by very close if not exact rules between pro and pub levels.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Srice posted:

They never, ever attempted any sort of competitive mode until very recently and even then it's only because of Overwatch.

That doesn't mean it wasn't designed to be played seriously. The format that emerged naturally is probably better off for it since early on in a games life cycle it's hard, especially for devs, to determine what is a good standard for competitive play. There are other factors, like the state of 'esports' in general when the game was released that probably factored heavily into it not being designed wholly for and marketed toward a thing that was in relative infancy. The early updates were very well in line with the design philosophy they talk about in the dev commentary, but like I said it was mostly thrown out the window within a year and the game turned into Wacky Hat Modelling Sim with Funny Guns.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
SFV owns; if you don't like it then maybe this game and its nine frames of imput lag isn't for you.

Unironically.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't think Overwatch will pull in the number of viewers Counter-Strike does. That'd be cool if it did, because I'm really looking forward to the game and want it to be popular. But I've watched a handful of competitive Overwatch tourneys and they were just ok. They weren't like super fun to watch, but I guess maybe that's because I haven't actually had a chance to play it. Counter-Strike though... almost a decade and half later and I'm still watching pro matches. I wish I could play CS as much as I did when I was younger. Being an adult sucks sometimes. I just want to play muh videogamez. :smith:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bhsman posted:

SFV owns; if you don't like it then maybe this game and its nine frames of imput lag isn't for you.

Unironically.

Have you tried it with vsync off?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My only remaining opinion on TF2 is that I enjoyed Highlander matches.

Overwatch could be okay but I got my fill of class based team shooters over 1000 hours of TF2 and I can't bring myself to care about it. It's still relatively slow though.

Splatoon is good in spite of being slow and on a console, because Nintendo understands map and zone control and it has a deeper movement game than anyone but UT4 is currently offering. It also has no autoaim, which leads to some people complaining it's hard to hit people :frogbon:

I couldn't even tell you the current state of CS:GO because it now locks 5v5s behind dozens of hours of grinding that I gave up on after playing 5 hours of 10v10 shitfest and gungame matches that are nothing like the CS I like and got less than 1/4th of 1 level I needed to get back into 5v5s. Still no 5v5 unranked.

Quake Live went pay to play more or less killing it overnight AFAIK

UT4 is good but has no marketing behind it yet so no one's playing it.

Those are my hot takes on literally the only notables from the last 10 years.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if fighting games will ever get to the stupidly large prize pools mobas get

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CSGO matchmaking blows. Luckily there's poo poo like FACEIT and ESEA or like CEVO as alternatives to pug it up.

I miss CAL and OGL.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Wow I completely forgot about Splatoon

Splatoon is good and I wish I played it more often

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Booyah- posted:

Have you tried it with vsync off?

I haven't messed with it yet, but I haven't noticed a significant difference between this and USF4 on PC. Might just be me, though. :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite thing about Overwatch matches overall tho is that matches end far, far, far soon than TF2 matches. No endless stalemates that drag on forever, and thank god for that.

teagone posted:

I don't think Overwatch will pull in the number of viewers Counter-Strike does. That'd be cool if it did, because I'm really looking forward to the game and want it to be popular. But I've watched a handful of competitive Overwatch tourneys and they were just ok. They weren't like super fun to watch, but I guess maybe that's because I haven't actually had a chance to play it. Counter-Strike though... almost a decade and half later and I'm still watching pro matches. I wish I could play CS as much as I did when I was younger. Being an adult sucks sometimes. I just want to play muh videogamez. :smith:

I don't think any shooter is gonna be able to replicate CS:GO's success anytime soon. It had a very unusual surge in popularity at some point down the line after an okay launch and it just exploded and kept growing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Wow I completely forgot about Splatoon

Splatoon is good and I wish I played it more often

It's still alive and good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if fighting games will ever get to the stupidly large prize pools mobas get

It seems like a huge missed opportunity that no fighting games copy the Dota model of selling cosmetics that help fund prize pools.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

500k at Capcom Cup 15 is p insane

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

teagone posted:

this guy might have some questionable fight game opinions

but he can at least click the heads p. well

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bhsman posted:

I haven't messed with it yet, but I haven't noticed a significant difference between this and USF4 on PC. Might just be me, though. :shrug:

its worth trying, it feels significantly better. I tried going back and it feels like I'm playing under water

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Baal posted:

It was 500k for the entire pro tour. Capcom Cup had a 250k prize pot split among the top 8.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's still loving nuts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

yeah but I was googling it today and there's some dota tournament with an $18 million prize pool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

yeah but I was googling it today and there's some dota tournament with an $18 million prize pool

The way they raise that money is a brilliant work of marketing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

How

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They sell a compendium, which gives you a lot of stuff for like 10 bux (Or more if you want extra goodies but the cheapest version still gives out a lot of stuff)

And a portion of that money goes into the prize pool. And as more money goes into the prize pool, it's like Kickstarter stretch goals, every owner will get more and more stuff.

Most of it consists of hats and other cosmetics but there's also a bunch of stuff that helps get the community invested in the pro scene; for the tournament you can do stuff like predict what teams will be at the top, game stats, etc, and you get rewards for guessing correctly.

It would be really simple to adapt that sort of thing for fighting games in a way that could get people who don't give a poo poo about tournaments to suddenly care. I mean heck, how many people only care about March Madness because of their brackets?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am a little bit surprised Capcom hasn't tried to do that yet, but I feel like Japanese companies are both iffy about that sort of thing as a whole and not to mention the FGC is poor and does not want to drop money for cosmetics that much on top of it being a pretty stubborn community in general.

I think KI's the closest it's come to that sort of thing and really they asked you to donate 20 bucks towards prize pools and you get like Shago and some KI Gold as a thanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Baal posted:

That's still loving nuts

Agreed, but its still nowhere near DOTA or CSGO numbers. Just making a clarification is all :) The number of viewers that SFV premier events have been pulling in on twitch this year have been pretty high though, so hopefully that might help in getting a larger prize pool next season. Baby steps!

General Morden posted:

this guy might have some questionable fight game opinions

but he can at least click the heads p. well

Counter-Strike will always be my game :unsmith:

I've only been playing fighting games seriously and watching tourney streams for roughly 2 years now I think, so I'm well aware of how uninformed my opinions on fighting games are :haw: I'm also well aware of SFV's issues, but despite its flaws, I still find it loads of fun to play (at least in online lobbies or locally).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Srice posted:

They sell a compendium, which gives you a lot of stuff for like 10 bux (Or more if you want extra goodies but the cheapest version still gives out a lot of stuff)

And a portion of that money goes into the prize pool. And as more money goes into the prize pool, it's like Kickstarter stretch goals, every owner will get more and more stuff.

Most of it consists of hats and other cosmetics but there's also a bunch of stuff that helps get the community invested in the pro scene; for the tournament you can do stuff like predict what teams will be at the top, game stats, etc, and you get rewards for guessing correctly.

It would be really simple to adapt that sort of thing for fighting games in a way that could get people who don't give a poo poo about tournaments to suddenly care. I mean heck, how many people only care about March Madness because of their brackets?

The big difference in business model is that Dota 2 as a game is completely free, and the upgrades you get are only cosmetic. It's easy for people to see that TI is going on, buy in on a $10 compendium and see what the fuss is about. I like the dota model too, but it's hard to do when your player base is 1/100th the size.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baal posted:

I am a little bit surprised Capcom hasn't tried to do that yet, but I feel like Japanese companies are both iffy about that sort of thing as a whole and not to mention the FGC is poor and does not want to drop money for cosmetics that much on top of it being a pretty stubborn community in general.

I think KI's the closest it's come to that sort of thing and really they asked you to donate 20 bucks towards prize pools and you get like Shago and some KI Gold as a thanks.

I think it'd be cool if someone tried it on a small scale to test the waters

Something like hey here's a $5 skin (or maybe even less!) and the proceeds go to this prize pool, that sorta thing

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Thought the patch had dropped but it turns out it's just some steam thing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Alex alt costume by Capcom:

Alex alt costume by random internet dude doing the work for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Booyah- posted:

Alex alt costume by Capcom:

Alex alt costume by random internet dude doing the work for free

Might want to check that first pic again. :v: Also, the Alex mod looks sweet but the face is kinda weird.