Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zotix posted:

Is this game as dog poo poo on PC as I'm reading?

depends, it works if the moon is in the correct alignment and you say the correct incantations and pray to the right gods. then its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zotix posted:

nah

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zotix posted:

From the anecdotal evidence, it's affecting those mostly who don't start as Knights and have high lighting on.

For me, I started as Knight and have max settings. No crashes in the 15~ hours I've played.

Edit: I'm using i7-3770K, 970GTX.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Zotix posted:

Depends on how old your computer is. Haven't had any issues with a 980ti cranked up all the way.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Dumb question, but where do I go after beating the Deacons of the Deep?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Are bows good in this game? I started as a thief in order to start with a bow.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I made my first character and successfully managed to push his nose behind his eyes. :)

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i feel like i've hit a brick wall with my claymore +6. the enemies in lothric castle take forever to kill with it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright so I'm a Dark Souls scrub tier idiot. So far I'm doing surprisingly well considering my hilariously bad past with these games. I started with a knight, managed to kill the lizard, killed the first boss, only got lost once at firelink. Right now my options seem to be fight the huge halberd enemy in the circle arena area and another direction I can't remember. I'm wondering a few things.

How should I be using my souls? My build is a pretty basic knight. Armor under 70% for rolls, shield, str weapon, no magic.

What are the best weapons I can get at this point? I'm going back and forth between the longsword and broadsword right now and I can't figure out the real pros and cons of each and which (if either) I should upgrade.

I grabbed the silver shield in the room with the chest + dogs + big spooky dudes. Is it any better than the standard knight shield? I thought it was about the same.

Where should I be going? Towards the fat halberd fella?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

i feel like i've hit a brick wall with my claymore +6. the enemies in lothric castle take forever to kill with it

Is it a regular claymore or is it infused with something? You may be cutting your damage attacking enemies that are resistant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone using the Partizan? Its moveset seems really good but I'm not sure how good thrusting weapons will be against the enemies in this compared to how crazy good they were in DS2.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is it a regular claymore or is it infused with something? You may be cutting your damage attacking enemies that are resistant.

just a regular +6, no infusions.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

MrLonghair posted:

Unfortunately Titanite Scale upgrades are a complete mofo to get hold of until later in the game, or if you get all the luck in the world and all the larger lizards drop two each time. There is one very difficult path that can be taken early on that eventually leads to a cache with treasurechests of them, and it's as follows (lightest possible spoilers): Remember the old lady that told you how to leave Highwall? Kill her, kill what comes, head straight forwards and continue the exploration. When you find a dark cool place with someone really chill you're in the right spot

Alrighty, I've killed the twin dragons, gotten the portcullis open... How much further are these titanite scales you speak of? If you were directing me towards the mimic and company, I killed them all, but could only get my greatsword to bloody +2

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

ShadowMar posted:

just a regular +6, no infusions.

You should probably throw a Heavy or Refined infusion on it, then. A sharp gem massively boosted my Uchigatana's attack power.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zotix posted:

Runs absolutely fine for me on high settings with a 770, which is hardly a top tier card.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nothing to see here

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cyberventurer posted:

I made my first character and successfully managed to push his nose behind his eyes. :)

I'm more impressed by the heterochromia.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I really wasn't feeling a strength build about four bosses into the game; I guess it's burnout from doing the same with my last DS2 playthrough. I decided to start another Daggers Only run which was what I did for my first playthrough of DS1. I thought it'd be just as agonizing, but holy poo poo the Bandit Knife is really good. Its weapon art is an animation canceling sidestep with a ton of iframes. I ditched the shield for two-handed stance, threw a fire imbue on it, and I just passed the third boss with only one death. The fire imbue is just letting me put dumb amounts of points into luck early game which probably has a negligible effect on my dagger's bleed proc, but I don't really need anything else right now. :v:

Hopefully I'll run into a dagger upgrade by the time I need to pay attention to stat scaling on weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I see. How high would you consider "high" for a stat in this game? Leveling is so much slower than in the previous games, so I'm at 24 STR 25 DEX right now. Since I aim to try as many weapons as possible in this first run I figured I'd try going Quality, especially considering you can actually infuse that in this game.. but maybe I'm just gimping myself.

High would be at the softcap. So 40 for using weapons (i.e. 40 str for str scaling weapons, 40 int for int scaling weapons), 60 for int/fth if you're using offensive spells (spells continue scaling up to 60).

Quality build is plenty powerful. But if you're doing that you definitely don't want to use the rear end since it has low scaling. If you're favoring strength then Dark Sword is better. Favoring dex then LKS.

There's also a really good quality scaling straight sword, but it's technically late-game. Sunlight Straight Sword. B/B scaling. Also has a 16 faith requirement, due to its skill being a better version of the Sacred Oath miracle. If you're willing to up your faith it's one of the best straight swords due to the high damage and the buff boosting your damage and damage absorption. But again, it's in a lategame area that you can access early by killing High Priest Emma (the lady that gave you the banner).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

From the anecdotal evidence, it's affecting those mostly who don't start as Knights and have high lighting on.

For me, I started as Knight and have max settings. No crashes in the 15~ hours I've played.

Edit: I'm using i7-3770K, 970GTX.

I started as a warrior, everything maxed. Only issue I'm seeing is the occasional hitch on disk access (even with an SSD). Annoying but not a deal breaker.

i5 4670k, GTX 970

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh, another question: what's my deadline for taking Yoel's offer? He up and dies if you reach a certain point regardless, right?

Apparently it's Abyss Walkers being defeated.

Zotix posted:

I have a i5 3570k @ 4.2, and a 750 ti. I have to put it on mostly mediums, but it doesn't really change my fps much at all. Anytime the game saves or loads a new area the game hhiiiiiiitchhhhes the gently caress out, or when it's trying to load things in the distance and you turn the camera. Upper part of the deeps area on the rafters was so loving laggy.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

well i managed to find 2 chunks so i upgraded it to +7 and put a refined infusion on it. maybe this will help a little.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cyberventurer posted:

now that's a face i wanna summon

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Popped an ember, three summons failed. Found an NPC summon that was downright special in the head. Failed.
Popped another ember. Actually got a sunbro who just beat Pontiff's dick in with a dagger. I joined in on the non-fancy dick punching and he went down pretty quickly.

Now I'm having DS1 flashbacks in the next area. The kind where you grab a bottle of liquor to stop the trembling.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm running an i5-2500 at 3.3 Ghz and I have a GTX 660. DO I have a prayer of running this game fully? I bought it and messed around in the starter area and it seemed to look great, but does it get more intensive down the line?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Carl Seitan posted:

Dumb question, but where do I go after beating the Deacons of the Deep?

Have you gone back to the Road of Sacrifice and taken the route to head into Farron's area?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is Flynn's ring still good?

The damage doesn't really seem worth it to me, even though I'm barely carrying any armor (I'm under 30% with like 14 vigor, which makes it hard to equip nearly anything).

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm running an i5-2500 at 3.3 Ghz and I have a GTX 660. DO I have a prayer of running this game fully? I bought it and messed around in the starter area and it seemed to look great, but does it get more intensive down the line?

i5-2500K and a GTX 950. Don't know how big the power gap is, but I get 35-60fps with high settings depending on the room.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Day Man posted:

Do any of the stats increase the invincibility frames of your roll this time?

No, but the Carthus Bloodring does. :getin:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
:allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

progession questions: (spoilers inbound)

should I finish (locations) cathedral of the deeps, then finish Farron keep, then head to catacombs of carthus or irithyll of the boreal valley? Not sure which one I should head to first. I'm assuming it's former then latter?

I've given (characters) irina the "pure" tome only, and saved onion knight by giving the person's stuff back, and patches is hanging around, greirat is still alive, but has not gone on his second adventure yet. cornyx is still around, sirris is nowhere to be found but I haven't joined "that" covenant, Yuria is around having replaced Yoel. And Orbeck has been given the two of apparently four things.

I'm assuming if I do (location) Farron Keep, then the (covenant) wolfclan goes away, right? Am I missing anything?

Tried to make it as ambiguous as I could. Trying to not gently caress up questlines.

you can do cathedral or catacombs, I would say order of difficulty Farron < Cathedral < Catacombs is a good order. Irithyll requires catacombs so that's not really a question.

You can do Farron keep and wolfclan is still active. Not sure if you have to join beforehand, but just join and then do it and you're cool.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Don't want to go through the thread for the spoilers: Anything I should know before jumping into this game?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey folks. Where is the Miracles vendor located? Just the general location would be fine.

fake edit: In the world, not at Firelink. Also, the Thralls drop Titanite shards, in case anybody else is as needy for them as I am.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sillybones posted:

Don't want to go through the thread for the spoilers: Anything I should know before jumping into this game?

Just play. Explore and have fun and prepare to die.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just play. Explore and have fun and prepare to die.

This. The best thing to do in ANY Souls game is to just run around and find weird poo poo and not worry about progressing for its own sake.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Road of Sacrifice has my least favorite enemy ever now.

fuckin hate screaming flying monkies JESUS CHRIST AND THEIR WINGS BURST OUT OF THEM WHAT THE gently caress

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bogart posted:

Hey folks. Where is the Miracles vendor located? Just the general location would be fine.

fake edit: In the world, not at Firelink. Also, the Thralls drop Titanite shards, in case anybody else is as needy for them as I am.

She's at the bottom of undead settlement. You either need to buy the 1500 souls key after turning in the ashes, or you need to jump down there like a boss.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Road of Sacrifice has my least favorite enemy ever now.

fuckin hate screaming flying monkies JESUS CHRIST AND THEIR WINGS BURST OUT OF THEM WHAT THE gently caress

Don't worry, it gets better worse

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
No...Greirat....I'm so sorry :negative:

Im so sad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Toriori posted:

Goddamn ice knight at the bottom of the elevator motherfuck. Where can i get more pine resin.

I just cheesed him, run back to the elevator run over the elevator to the other side and let him fall in.

With that said, whats better Irithyll Straight Sword or Uchigatana for dex build? Is there a good write up anywhere about what gems are best used for?