Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The same review says there is a meddler who is responsible for sparking the conflict, though it claims their reasoning is also ambiguous.

I think its safe to say they are referring to Baron Zemo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rurea posted:

Not Crossbones?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Variety is saying that Michael Keaton is in talks to play the villain in Spider-Man Homecoming.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Electromax posted:

Black Panther isn't until 2018 but he's been getting singled out as awesome in the early Captain America 3 reactions. Hopefully he'll continue to be one of the marquees after the original dudes retire after Avengers 3.

I'm hyped for bullet-proof Black Panther running down a motorcycle. Though I suppose him being bullet proof makes sense given him being the Vibranium King. Moreso than Batman's rubber mask being bullet proof.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bastard won't do Birdman 4 but he'll do Spiderman 6

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rurea posted:

That's what's strange because the review says There's no central figure behind the conflict (like Lex Luthor, Thanos, etc) but there is someone or some group directing the conflict. What might be happening is there is one guy on screen doing everything but he claims to be part of a larger movement (that's left unclear, but might be Hydra or might be some other super power teamup) .

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Though I suppose him being bullet proof makes sense given him being the Vibranium King. Moreso than Batman's rubber mask being bullet proof.

So batman can't have made up bullet proof armor?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

No, they recast The Mandarin as Ben Kingsley, who is half-Indian.

Ben Kingsley was a fake Mandarin, Guy Pearce claims to be the real Mandarin, but apparently according to a tie-in comic there's actually a real real Mandarin.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Casting Ben Kingsley as Mandarin was an inspired choice. They even foreshadow the big reveal in the terrorist video where he's talking about fortune cookies and saying they were never real representations of Chinese culture, just fake racist corporate bullshit. Followed by him staring at the audience and mouthing the words "I'm referring to this character."

Anyway, just rewatched Winter Soldier in preparation for Civil War, and I really don't get all the poo poo people give it here about the action scenes. Pretty much every scene flowed well and looked cool as gently caress, especially any time they had Cap running around taking out mooks with his shield. Buckies and Caps scenes were badass and really showcased how ferocious they can be, and the Falcon flying scenes looked great.

The only "meh" action spots for me were Falcon fighting Crossbones and bits of the final fight inside the helecarrier, but overall it was done very well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Also from the reviews: The airport fight scene is in act 2. The climax of act 3 has not been in any promotional material.

I expect spoilers for act 3 to flood the internet roughly .92 seconds after the early screenings end.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Anyway, just rewatched Winter Soldier in preparation for Civil War, and I really don't get all the poo poo people give it here about the action scenes.

I recall them getting near-universal praise here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sir Kodiak posted:

People on this forum, especially SMG, are really down on the harrier scene and the final fight, but love all the rest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People on this forum, especially SMG, are really down on the harrier scene and the final fight, but love all the rest.

Yeah, and they should be. But overall the film's action being solid is one of the less controversial opinions here in regards to an MCU film.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think it's contradictory to say that the action scenes in TWS are great for an MCU film and average for an action film in general.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timby posted:

Variety is saying that Michael Keaton is in talks to play the villain in Spider-Man Homecoming.

Lol are they casting him as the Vulture like 2 years after he did Birdman?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't think it's contradictory to say that the action scenes in TWS are great for an MCU film and average for an action film in general.

I don't agree, the action scenes are miles better than most action movies. Not as good as something like Fury Road, but nothing is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm really looking forward to Doctor Strange because with the exception of the 2008 Hulk all the MCU movies have been hits with me, but that trailer made it look very uninteresting. I can't even put my finger on why.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Something about the Dr. Strange trailer just looks tawdry to me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What's the average action film? Con Air?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Electromax posted:

Con Air is anything but average. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Electromax posted:

Ain't nuthin average about Con Air.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Bunch of additional Civil War reviews are coming out. All of them are positive, but a couple say that Bucky gets his memory back immediately and were disappointed that the relationship between Cap and Bucky wasn't as complicated as Winter Soldier.

quote:

The movie Civil War most reminds me of is Spider-Man 2. That's high praise. Spider-Man 2 is still my pick for the best superhero movie ever made, because it's a surprisingly weighty film about the consequence of great power that never forgets it is also about a teenager who swings around on webs he shoots out of his wrists.

What Civil War cribs from Spider-Man 2 is twofold. First of all, it makes sure to ground every bit of its story in personal relationships. And in that regard, it has a bit of a leg up over Spider-Man 2, because it has more than a dozen Marvel Cinematic Universe movies to build on.

In many ways, Civil War is the fullest expression of Marvel's idea of essentially creating a giant TV show that we all tune in to every six months or so. As the latest "episode" of that show, the movie shifts relationships in interesting ways and offers several major payoffs, while also laying track for movies to come (much more gracefully than, say, 2015's Avengers: Age of Ultron did).

The second aspect of Civil War that reminds me of Spider-Man 2 is that it contains a lot of setup. Seriously, the first hour is filled with scenes where Captain America and Iron Man jockey for position, or investigate new leads in the story's central mystery, or hang out and snipe at each other. And it's never immediately clear where either character is headed. A similar problem befell Batman v Superman (a film to which Civil War bears more than a few similarities), so it's not unusual for fans to worry just a little bit.

But just like in Spider-man 2, that setup pays off substantially as the movie goes along. The end of Civil War is surprisingly complex on an emotional level, while remaining broad and pulpy. Yes, those emotions are somewhat shaded in primary colors, rather than more nuanced hues, but for a movie about two superpowered dudes hitting each other, the personal stakes feel earned and real.

quote:

Featuring what's arguably the best ever screen depiction of Spider-Man as well as a cool new hero in Black Panther, Captain America: Civil War can't quite recapture the emotional and cerebral strengths of its predecessor. The Captain and Bucky relationship is simple and streamlined in Civil War, maybe necessarily, but it lacks the intensity between the two from The Winter Soldier.

quote:

A gargantuan entertainment that finds room for a little emotional resonance underneath the sterling spectacle, "Captain America: Civil War" is a well-paced, thoroughly satisfying, completely overstuffed action-thriller.

quote:

The most mature and substantive picture to have yet emerged from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

quote:

Tear away the powers, abilities and egos, though, and the third Captain America movie is at its core a deep exploration of friendship and family and what sacrifices should be made to hold onto both. The movie is structured in a way unlike any previous superhero film.

quote:

This is the best Marvel movie so far. This is not hyperbole. I have my doubts they can make anything better.

quote:

Finally, a big budget superhero sequel that manages to be both effortlessly entertaining and utterly sobering, instead of just one of those things-or, as we've endured too frequently in the past, neither of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 14, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The 'fullest expression of a TV show' and 'not as cerebral as Winter Soldier' should definitely be read as major stealth burns.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone spoiled the casualty list?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't seen any spoilers for the end of the film or who dies in it. May not get any until it's actually released for audiences instead of premiere events.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've seen purported spoilers, but I'm pretty drat sure they are incorrect.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sorry about that then, I may have misread the discussion from a while back.

The reviews so far definitely have me increasingly excited for Civil War, but I'm trying to temper my expectations after getting burned by BvS.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The 'fullest expression of a TV show' and 'not as cerebral as Winter Soldier' should definitely be read as major stealth burns.

I didn't take the TV comment as a negative in any way, both in the context of the review and for the fact that the Netflix Daredevil tv series is the best superhero media by a mile. "Like a tv show " is becoming less of an insult as quality series become more common.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

MacheteZombie posted:

So batman can't have made up bullet proof armor?

He took what looked like a point-blank shotgun blast to the back of the head at one point and was only briefly stunned. In his dream sequence when Superman pulls off his mask, it looks pretty flimsy. Even if it wasn't, you'd think he would have been knocked out from the force of a bullet to the back of the head.

But I mean it was pretty cool so I don't really care.

Martytoof posted:

I'm really looking forward to Doctor Strange because with the exception of the 2008 Hulk all the MCU movies have been hits with me, but that trailer made it look very uninteresting. I can't even put my finger on why.

They probably haven't finished a lot of the post-production stuff. I'm sure we'll get an amazing trailer for it in a few months. Whatever team Marvel has that puts together their trailers is the best in the business.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bunch of additional Civil War reviews are coming out. All of them are positive, but a couple say that Bucky gets his memory back immediately and were disappointed that the relationship between Cap and Bucky wasn't as complicated as Winter Soldier.

This movie is going to be amazing and Avengers 3 p1 and p2 will be amazing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_XcSM5yVk So this is the godzilla that went to hell in the comics, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slowpoke! posted:

He took what looked like a point-blank shotgun blast to the back of the head at one point and was only briefly stunned. In his dream sequence when Superman pulls off his mask, it looks pretty flimsy. Even if it wasn't, you'd think he would have been knocked out from the force of a bullet to the back of the head.

But I mean it was pretty cool so I don't really care.

Obviously Bruce Wayne had the armor sewn into his loving skull.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kind of love this poo poo. I mean it's not like the Joker's some sacred cow. He's a lameass obnoxious character deified by edgy 13 year olds. This is what the Joker deserves. It's gonna be fun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slowpoke! posted:

They showed Alfred messing around with the metal helmet underneath the black rubber while he was talking to Bruce, and had him comment on making some more adjustments. That's what he was wearing when he was getting shot and hit and stuff.

Also it's possible that dark Apocalypse future Superman was just crushing his reinforced cowl like rubber with his super strength.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I kind of love this poo poo. I mean it's not like the Joker's some sacred cow. He's a lameass obnoxious character deified by edgy 13 year olds. This is what the Joker deserves. It's gonna be fun.

they sure are showing those edgy 13 year olds, by pandering directly to them

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jose Oquendo posted:

If spoilers I've seen are to be believed then nobody dies, but one person is injured to the point that they can no longer walk.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yea, for ostensibly positive reviews those really aren't doing a good job of making Civil War actually sound like a good movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

If spoilers I've seen are to be believed then nobody dies, but one person is injured to the point that they can no longer walk.

Is that Rhodey?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is that Rhodey?

Yes

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Introduce a new black character, cripple an old one. Balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yoshifan823 posted:

Introduce a new black character, cripple an old one. Balance.
He's best friends with Tony Stark, I'm sure he can make an exosuit for him

• Locked thread