Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five: :bravo: :five: :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've moved away from games on kickstarter. I did recently back a company that makes a snazzy new belt I will be receiving soon https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115468767/trakline-express-belt

Uhh, is this kickstarter for real? I have a belt with this exact mechanism that I bought around 5 years ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm yes, it does seem like a good idea to buy a ""not real ship" concept, that will change whenever" jpeg, for a game that has had 4 free fly weeks in 4 months. It is like you guys are desperate for a NEW player base, but what you don't realize is, THEY WON'T PLAY BECAUSE YOUR GAME IS STILL loving BROKEN AS BROKE, in fact the only people "PLEDGING" not buying your ships are nerd whales. Your spokespeople are anime/WING COMMANDER IS LAW/artist stealing morons.

Tell that to chris next time you see him, CiG unpaid lackey/intern/garbage man. GO GET COFFEES FOR THE CREW NOW,

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ragequit posted:

That thing doesn't move, does it? I thought it was just a centerpiece.

Oh God no no no... not yet any way.

I had a cool car once, except it was a motorcycle. Then I got rid of it. Derek ain't lying about those Florida speeding tickets.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

gently caress.

Should we tell them?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ragequit posted:

That thing doesn't move, does it? I thought it was just a centerpiece.

But, but DREAMS!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lando needs to edit it, it needs to say "pledged" and not buy. You don't buy anything in this game, it is pledges only.

Hopefully this buying thing is sorted soon, won't want to make it seem like PLEDGES are bad or nothing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cymelion is one of the worst. Yeah, CR is really delivering. He's not delivered ONE single new major game mechanic in the over 4 months since the PU release. Haven't even been able to get cargo delivery in there despite the fact that it should be pretty easy. If you extrapolate that out they'll finish the PU literally never, but even if you figure he delivers cargo transport tomorrow that'll work out to like six years before all the major mechanics are in game.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ideate posted:

Well I mean it's ether that or deluded Focus ST owner. ;D

Haha :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
What is the value of a ship?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6557504/#Comment_6557504

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6546975/#Comment_6546975

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6548992/#Comment_6548992

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

A narcissist, a money launderer, and a thumb walk into a bar...

Bar Citizen! The Aristocrats!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh God no no no... not yet any way.

I think you have a future with Boston Dynamics.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I am sure that potential backers will see the quality on display during the free fly weekend and rush to buy a mining jpeg for the price of 2 brand new AAA games and a few humble bundles.

In short,

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Well, you have 24hrs to loving finish :D

Kinda got derailed arguing the misuse of backer funds vis a vis certain couches with SpaceSimGuy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Samizdata posted:

Jesus, man, way to shut down any else's efforts, my friend. I think I will just go back to my one line shitposts now. Beast mode engaged, indeed.

:sigh:

Do not shut down :effort: posts!

:justpost:!

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
MoMa metldowns are the worst. so many pages of whitenoise to scroll by

No joke, he went back and edited out the name of his cats Felix and Sammy today.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ARCHERED!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

Cymelion is one of the worst. Yeah, CR is really delivering. He's not delivered ONE single new major game mechanic in the over 4 months since the PU release. Haven't even been able to get cargo delivery in there despite the fact that it should be pretty easy. If you extrapolate that out they'll finish the PU literally never, but even if you figure he delivers cargo transport tomorrow that'll work out to like six years before all the major mechanics are in game.
Note the use of the caveat eventually. You can hide any amount of incompetence behind that, and there really is no comeback. Yeah, Star Citizen might not have features now, but in some nebulous eventually it'll be the best loving game ever.

I love how some of SC's backers are just as loving slimy asand weaselly worded as CIG themselves. I have a long running argument with one on the Frontier forums (well I say long running, I try to give him poo poo whenever I log in to check the EDtracker thread once every couple of months). He's been posting there continuously for over a year, about Star Citizen and quite literally nothing else. I swear he's a paid shill, all his posts are practically advertising copy.

edit: durr

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 14, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

:tinfoil: i am entirely convinced that along with someone who has to read forums to see what people are saying about star citizen, there must be people who have to go into forums to drum up hype and counter the critics.

lookin at you anabelle boo huxley

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shrinkage posted:

Uhh, is this kickstarter for real? I have a belt with this exact mechanism that I bought around 5 years ago.

It's real in that it's something that has already existed for years and they're using KS to pretend they need money to deliver something that already exists. Not sure how much that means the definition of real, but probably no less and no more than many KS.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Someone I went to college with that I'm fairly friendly with works at Zenimax and work(s)(ed) extensively on ESO. Should I inquire? And if so what would be good things to ask?
I'd be careful honestly. A Bethesda gig is a good one at Pete Hines is hardcore about leak prevention. Since people actually like working there, leaks are rare and considered traitorous by many. I don't think I'd post anything even if you did manage to pick up some morsels... Not worth messing things up for anybody.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Chris Roberts at CiG doesn't give dates because he missed so many that it literally became a joke.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

gently caress.

Should we tell them?

gently caress Disco right in the rear end. "Ship prices are going up, better get yours now while they're cheap!"

Anyone with an ounce of brains that has ever even heard of an MMO before knows that the ship prices are total horseshit unless they're going to make it so grinding out a Constellation takes 500 hours. And if they did that the game would populated by literally noone but the current whales.

Problem is Crobberts knows fuckall about MMOs, or game dev in the last 15 years, so......

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Top 2 things you dislike about Star Citizen

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6564187/#Comment_6564187

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6564717/#Comment_6564717

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I get the shill thing is a fun joke, but has there been evidence of actual paid shills? Because that sounds like something even CIG couldn't pull off properly. I figure they are all just hardcore fans/whales/etc. Although imagining whales grabbing a manila folder from under the local donut shop bench stuffed with pictures of spaceships and a note saying "You know what to do" sounds wonderful.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tortolia posted:

I am sure that potential backers will see the quality on display during the free fly weekend and rush to buy a mining jpeg for the price of 2 brand new AAA games and a few humble bundles.

I could buy a ton of actual games with engaging gameplay (Enter the Gungeon is $13! Hyperlight Drifter?) or I could invest in something that doesn't exist, designed around mechanics that don't exist for a game that doesn't exist.

Chris Roberts flailing his arms around and stuttering like porky pig making up complete bullshit about whatever he thought "Mining" was going to be at the time is really selling me on another ship that is $140. Oh and it won't even be in the game at release which is looking like 2018-2019 at this point. So I'm just gonna line up to pay $140 to wait 3 years to maybe receive something that doesn't exist from a company under investigation by government services. Perfectly Logical.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

I'd be careful honestly. A Bethesda gig is a good one at Pete Hines is hardcore about leak prevention. Since people actually like working there, leaks are rare and considered traitorous by many. I don't think I'd post anything even if you did manage to pick up some morsels... Not worth messing things up for anybody.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thinking I might send an email saying "What's up with Starfield", expecting to get nothing and if I got something, not saying anything about it.

Funny part is that I more or less met her when I was sitting behind her and her sister in a geology class and I heard them talking about WoW and I interjected to explain to them that EQ2 was going to be better.

I'm just happy that she's (presumably) living the dream, that's super cool.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always said by beta. Beta should be, for all intents and purposes, a semi release-candidate. We should see persistence, load scaling, fleshed-out movement mechanics, set flight mechanics and procedurally-generated planets and plaentoids that have seamless environments. If not by then, I sell off what I have and am on my merry way.

Hey everybody sorry I'm way behind and quoting 10 page old poo poo but gently caress me look at this post again :laffo:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I get the shill thing is a fun joke, but has there been evidence of actual paid shills? Because that sounds like something even CIG couldn't pull off properly. I figure they are all just hardcore fans/whales/etc. Although imagining whales grabbing a manila folder from under the local donut shop bench stuffed with pictures of spaceships and a note saying "You know what to do" sounds wonderful.

why would you pay someone to be a shill when you have so many people clamouring to do it for free

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

It's real in that it's something that has already existed for years and they're using KS to pretend they need money to deliver something that already exists. Not sure how much that means the definition of real, but probably no less and no more than many KS.

Making money shouldn't be this easy.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

why would you pay someone to be a shill when you have so many people clamouring to do it for free

Weren't there rumors that they were telling employees to post positive glassdoor reviews, with an implicit "or else"?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Variable 5 posted:

Weren't there rumors that they were telling employees to post positive glassdoor reviews, with an implicit "or else"?

at this point there are probably rumours that Chris Roberts did 9/11

and they're probably true

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thinking I might send an email saying "What's up with Starfield", expecting to get nothing and if I got something, not saying anything about it.

Funny part is that I more or less met her when I was sitting behind her and her sister in a geology class and I heard them talking about WoW and I interjected to explain to them that EQ2 was going to be better.

I'm just happy that she's (presumably) living the dream, that's super cool.

Don't send an email! They probably get special alerts when emails contain Starfield. Not kidding.

If you can score a meal or face to face and want to ask those are the safest options but honestly even that might not be worth it. I am all in favor of CIG leakers but a studio that doesn't leak is one that's got their crap together. I probably hold Bethesda in higher regard than many here and like the fact that Starfield is a stealth project poised to potentially cause trouble for Chris. Given his hubris he deserves to get checked and wrecked six ways from Sunday-- and the most satisfying triumph is always delivering the better game, which I've no doubt Bethesda will.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 14, 2016

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

be the bigger man Derek and let MoMA off the hook - he's an rear end in a top hat for stalking you but should just quietly piss off.

We know he's CIG so I suggest you leave it at that.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

That's him in the Restoration Hardware chair.

That's him, with the donut bag.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

at this point there are probably rumours that Chris Roberts did 9/11

and they're probably true

Was he ever employed as one of the guys who direct aircraft with the hand held signals?

Because I'm sure flapping around like you are on fire/being attacked by bees at the same time would give some conflicting instructions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

That was exactly my thought, which is why I asked.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I hope they put a big disclaimer on the store page that it may not be flyable until post-release.

Shrinkage posted:

Kickstarter regularly host projects where people take an already existing product and resell it to people who may not be aware that it is commercially available. Kickstarter doesn't give a poo poo because they get a cut, and I'd imagine are more likely to follow through with a product.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Don't send an email! They probably get special alerts when emails contain Starfield. Not kidding.

If you can score a meal or face to face and want to ask those are the safest options but honestly even that might not be worth it. I am all in favor of CIG leakers but a studio that doesn't leak is one that's got their crap together. I probably hold Bethesda in higher regard than many here and like the fact that Starfield is a stealth project poised to potentially cause trouble for Chris. Given his hubris he deserves to get checked and wrecked six ways from Sunday-- and the most satisfying triumph is always delivering the better game, which I've no doubt Bethesda will.

I pulled up facebook and clicked on Message Her and it pulled up our most recent facebook convo (we've talked more recently via email and other avenues, IIRC), but the most recent FB messages between us were EQ2 related and from 2008.

I'll probably just send her a message via some avenue saying something like "Hope everything is going awesome, what do you know about Starfield, wink wink, nudge nudge" and leave it at that.

Speaking of Bethesda, shitposting here is consuming the time I meant to devote to my new concrete palace at the drive in theater. Life is a difficult balance, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sperglord posted:

GORF - when do you expect Starfield to be revealed?

I think that Starfield could be the CIG killer, more so than Elite.

What's there to kill?
Furniture?

• Locked thread