Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's up with the friendly skeleton??

He's got a cute hat.

If it's the one I'm thinking of he has a dark secret: hat skeletons seem to control the 'boulders' in the crypt. If you kill them the boulder dies soon after.

Nuebot posted:

So where exactly is the cage guy you have to enter to join the Mound Makers? I've found this talking cage hollow that tells me about him. That guy owns, I like his voice. But for the life of me I can't find the cage I enter.

If you go up on the roof of the house the hollow is at, you can drop down to a fenced off area to the right. The cage is uh, wandering around in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Anyone have suggestions for strength based PVP weapons for the first half of the game? Being using a great machete but it just uses so much stamina.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The thing I've noticed about enemies in DS3 is that they attack about 20 times more than the point where you think their animation has ended. DS1 they had animations, you learned to dodge them. In DS2 the enemies attacked *just* after the point where you think they're going to so it messes up your timing. DS3 is just WHARLBLARHARLGLARG and then a whirlwind of gently caress.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Knight Slayer ring is great if you want to be super aggressive when invading people. Tons of people don't realize you can just break their guard in a couple hits and then get a free critical hit. Especially fun when a mage tries to block your Zweihander with his tiny shield and you guard break him in two hits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Git gud? I rarely had trouble with the crowds on my first playthrough. If anything the most difficult are the single tough encounters like the frost knights.

I'm just never going to like an overabundance of group fights with fast, aggressive enemies in Souls games. It was fine in Bloodborne because they gave you the speed and mobility to deal with it, but I don't think they went quite far enough here for what they wanted. All of this is possible but I'm not having any fun.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The thing I've noticed about enemies in DS3 is that they attack about 20 times more than the point where you think their animation has ended. DS1 they had animations, you learned to dodge them. In DS2 the enemies attacked *just* after the point where you think they're going to so it messes up your timing. DS3 is just WHARLBLARHARLGLARG and then a whirlwind of gently caress.

I think this sort of comes from Bloodborne as well. I was fine with it there because I could parry almost anything and do so at range. Here? It's just sort of dodge for a while and go in and attack when they've done at least five swings, because if they haven't, their combo is probably still going.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

a cop posted:

1v2'ing in this game is so loving fun. The Astora Sword (or general sword) moveset fucks poo poo UP. The lunge for rollers and upward slash for people with shields + a mana estus or two just wrecks people.

I'm going to be swamp bro invading for a long rear end time. Gonna try to max out that covenant while the going's hot.

The Battle Axe is proving to be loving phenomenal for me. Big staggers, good range and speed, also I have more stam than people expect and keep slashing when they think I'm about to stop :getin:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can anyone confirm whether or not chloranthy ring and grass crest shield stack like they used to in ds1?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of he has a dark secret: hat skeletons seem to control the 'boulders' in the crypt. If you kill them the boulder dies soon after.

Lol, you're right. One of the skeleton boulders had a crab popped out, and another pooped out a shard. thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How do I get down to the ravine near the tree boss? There's a bunch of loot

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hella man.

At firelink there will be a guy leaning against the big throne, he'll give you 5 cracked red orbs. He'll disappear until you get a tongue which can be found in undead settlement, cathedral or from sucessfully killing a host. Then he'll give you a key for the door at the bottom of the tower at the second bonfire on the wall. There's a darkwraith down it who drops the orb.

There was a lot of cursing.

You can snipe one of the thralls off the roof of the building they chill at if you creep around the right while still on the spot where the crossbow assholes chill, and if you immediately retreat back to the rooftops after triggering the thralls there you can usually fight them 1 at a time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've noticed a lot more enemies who rotate a kick into their 3 or 4 hit combo, so it's not just about knowing when to start attacking, but when to dodge vs block too

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

actionjackson posted:

How do I get down to the ravine near the tree boss? There's a bunch of loot

There's a locked door in the sewer with the rats.

EDIT:

Here's a longer set of instructions:
Get the Mortician's Ashes. You can find them on that path that's getting nailed by giant arrows. Give the ashes to the shopkeeper in Firelink Shrine. She'll then be able to sell you the key.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cathedral of the Deep is transforming me into DarkSydePhil. I got so close to what I'm pretty sure is a shortcut to the bonfire but there were enough tough enemies, and I was out of Estus, and I just had to homeward bone back, so now I get to do that whole loving rooftop gank-after-gank-after-gank again and I hate it.

I should take a break for a few days.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every ghoul having a fire weapon is really really annoying.

The guys who kamizae themselves are funny tho.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Funky Valentine posted:

Trying have one catch you in a micro-second damage stagger loop for the entire duration and kill you from behind on your run to pick 15k souls.

Around hollows, never relax.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Faffel posted:

Trying have one catch you in a micro-second damage stagger loop for the entire duration and kill you from behind on your run to pick 15k souls.

Sounds like peak :darksouls: to me. :haw:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Every ghoul having a fire weapon is really really annoying.

I just think this whole area is really annoying. Like it was designed to do as many annoying things as possible. I just don't understand it.

The worst part is my only alternative is to go to Valley of Defilement 4.0.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sounds like peak :darksouls: to me. :haw:

Hey, I'm the one who didn't fucken worry about "that one hollow I can just one-shot".

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Macintosh HD posted:

There's a locked door in the sewer with the rats.

EDIT:

Here's a longer set of instructions:
Get the Mortician's Ashes. You can find them on that path that's getting nailed by giant arrows. Give the ashes to the shopkeeper in Firelink Shrine. She'll then be able to sell you the key.

Thanks. If I'm doing strength should I use the heavy infusion? I was thinking about going heavy great club

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I have no idea... Despite knowing about that key and sewer door, I have no clue what's going on. :psyduck:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just found an item that unlocked a couple armor sets and :siren: titanite shards :siren: for sale from the handmaiden. It was hidden behind an illusory wall in the swamp. Brutal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I hollowed the hell out of myself and this dude is calling me his lord now. Free lordship and five levels, pretty sweet gig.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like taking photos irl. One thing I always loved about these games is the way the camera works that makes for some great screenshots. A dump of some goodies I've got so far.

I love that arrows stay longer now

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't made it to this point yet...

I want to ask how you get over to this bonfire but I know it must be after you do whatever you have to do to make the lever work in the church below. Which I can only assume happens later and isn't something I'm missing?

Love those new age bell witches!

Smough's hammer, or "justice" as my buddy calls it, is so comical to see in action. Cant even see whats in front of me sometimes

~Showdown~~

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build. If this can get thrown in the OP (with spoiler tags where needed, if you think that's necessary?) that would be helpful. Also if I missed something or someone has anything helpful to add, feel free.

Blacksmith Andre starts with three infusion types available, and can unlock more as you give him embers which you find as you progress through the game. Infusing a weapon or shield requires a gem of the appropriate type and a small amount of souls. You can change a weapon from one infusion type to another, though the first gem isn't refunded, or you can use a Shriving Stone to remove the infusion altogether if you'd like.

All infusions except for Raw lower the base physical damage slightly. The plain Dagger seems to be an exception, with all the elemental infusions actually increasing its base damage.

Weapon buffs such as pine resins and spells that affect your weapon can ONLY be applied to normal, Refined, Sharp, Heavy, and Raw weapons.

Starting Infusions:

Refined - Slightly lowers the highest among STR and DEX scaling, then brings the other one up to that level.
Raw - Removes all scaling, significantly increases base physical damage.
Fire - Removes all scaling, adds flat fire damage

Farron Coal location: Road of Sacrifices, guarded by a Black Knight.

Heavy - Removes DEX scaling, increases STR scaling.
Sharp - Lowers but does not remove STR scaling, increases DEX scaling.
Poison - Lowers all scaling, adds poison buildup.

Sage's Coal location: Farron Keep, guarded by a Darkwraith.

Crystal - Lowers all scaling, adds magic damage with INT scaling.
Blessed - Lowers all scaling, adds FAITH scaling to physical damage. Also gives slow HP recovery while equipped.
Deep - Removes all scaling, adds flat dark damage.

Profaned Coal location: Irithyll Dungeon right by the shortcut.

Dark - Lowers all scaling, adds dark damage with INT+FAITH scaling.
Blood - Lowers all scaling, adds bleed buildup.
Hollow - Lowers all scaling, adds LUCK scaling, increases your LUCK based on how hollowed you are.

Giant's Coal location: Anor Londo on a giant corpse near the bonfire.

Lightning - Lowers all scaling, adds lightning damage with FAITH scaling.
Simple - Lowers all scaling, adds flat magic damage. Also gives slow FP recovery while equipped.
Chaos - Lowers all scaling, adds fire damage with INT+FAITH scaling.

Generally speaking you will always want to infuse a weapon you're using, as there will be one if not several options that are outright better than an uninfused weapon. Starting off when you don't have much for stats, Raw or one of the non-scaling elemental infusions like Fire and Deep will be your best option, depending on what enemies you're going to be fighting since certain ones have heavy resistances or weaknesses. Once you have solid offensive stats, STR builds will usually want Heavy, DEX builds will usually want Sharp, and Quality builds will usually want Refined. Spellcaster builds are a bit more situational - a DEX or STR caster hybrid will generally want Heavy/Sharp so they can enchant it, a pure caster can use Raw with enchantments or forego them for one of the elemental scaling infusions if their appropriate stat(s) are high enough, and again it depends on what types of enemies you're going to be fighting.

The type of weapon you're modifying matters as well. Weapons with high base damage benefit more from flat damage infusions, weapons with high scaling benefit more from infusions that add or increase scaling. All gems are farmable in at least one location, so it doesn't hurt to experiment to find out what works.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

codo27 posted:

Man gently caress those resident evil 5 ouroboros things

You can kill them before they transform

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The swamp wasn't really that bad. The poison doesn't do much damage and moss ain't expensive. You don't have to fight any super nasties on the swampy ground either. Just try to avoid the area with the basilisks

Just, uh, don't underestimate the goats. Namely the stompy ones.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm up to 16 Wolfbro Swordgrass after starting the night with zero. I can't stop.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
All done! 19 hours on my first blind character, no boss summoning. Ending stuff: I did the link the fire ending, though I suspect I was close to another ending if I gave the fire keeper her eyes? Dunno, time to do some reading!

Estoc + fast shields for parrying or emergency blocks carried me all the way through. Estoc club for life.

Hardest boss for me was The loving pontiff. Nothing quite lived up to that fight as a solo player. I have a feeling I'd have an entirely different list with summon help, though; I could see Twin Princes being harder rather than easier with help, for example.

Pretty sure I hosed up every single questline along the way, too, so looking forward to figuring out where I went wrong.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What's the earliest I can get Hodrick's duds?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man this PvP would be a lot more fun if it wasn't always a 2 or 3v1 gangbang. Way fewer issues with teleporting lag stabs and stuff, and the huge health debuff isn't that big of a deal, but good lord I dunno how to avoid just getting stunlocked any time there's multiple opponents. Can't block or roll out of it, even.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build.

-snip-

Now if only I could find out where to actually find Refined Gems so I could start infusing my weapons :argh:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just killed the Deacons of the Deep. Holy gently caress they are doing multi-mob bosses right.. I feel like more of the bosses in general have a lot more personality to them than in previous Souls games.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Getting invaded by two people who T-pose float around like killer statues is awesome and exciting PvP! :shepicide:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Mound makers is such a cool idea, but everyone just treats it like fight club. Like anyone who actually wants help is just going to summon a white/sun phantom and they have no reason to play along.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build. If this can get thrown in the OP (with spoiler tags where needed, if you think that's necessary?) that would be helpful. Also if I missed something or someone has anything helpful to add, feel free.

Blacksmith Andre starts with three infusion types available, and can unlock more as you give him embers which you find as you progress through the game. Infusing a weapon or shield requires a gem of the appropriate type and a small amount of souls. You can change a weapon from one infusion type to another, though the first gem isn't refunded, or you can use a Shriving Stone to remove the infusion altogether if you'd like.

All infusions except for Raw lower the base physical damage slightly. The plain Dagger seems to be an exception, with all the elemental infusions actually increasing its base damage.

Weapon buffs such as pine resins and spells that affect your weapon can ONLY be applied to normal, Refined, Sharp, Heavy, and Raw weapons.

Starting Infusions:

Refined - Slightly lowers the highest among STR and DEX scaling, then brings the other one up to that level.
Raw - Removes all scaling, significantly increases base physical damage.
Fire - Removes all scaling, adds flat fire damage

Farron Coal location: Road of Sacrifices, guarded by a Black Knight.

Heavy - Removes DEX scaling, increases STR scaling.
Sharp - Lowers but does not remove STR scaling, increases DEX scaling.
Poison - Lowers all scaling, adds poison buildup.

Sage's Coal location: Farron Keep, guarded by a Darkwraith.

Crystal - Lowers all scaling, adds magic damage with INT scaling.
Blessed - Lowers all scaling, adds FAITH scaling to physical damage. Also gives slow HP recovery while equipped.
Deep - Removes all scaling, adds flat dark damage.

Profaned Coal location: Irithyll Dungeon right by the shortcut.

Dark - Lowers all scaling, adds dark damage with INT+FAITH scaling.
Blood - Lowers all scaling, adds bleed buildup.
Hollow - Lowers all scaling, adds LUCK scaling, increases your LUCK based on how hollowed you are.

Giant's Coal location: Anor Londo on a giant corpse near the bonfire.

Lightning - Lowers all scaling, adds lightning damage with FAITH scaling.
Simple - Lowers all scaling, adds flat magic damage. Also gives slow FP recovery while equipped.
Chaos - Lowers all scaling, adds fire damage with INT+FAITH scaling.

Generally speaking you will always want to infuse a weapon you're using, as there will be one if not several options that are outright better than an uninfused weapon. Starting off when you don't have much for stats, Raw or one of the non-scaling elemental infusions like Fire and Deep will be your best option, depending on what enemies you're going to be fighting since certain ones have heavy resistances or weaknesses. Once you have solid offensive stats, STR builds will usually want Heavy, DEX builds will usually want Sharp, and Quality builds will usually want Refined. Spellcaster builds are a bit more situational - a DEX or STR caster hybrid will generally want Heavy/Sharp so they can enchant it, a pure caster can use Raw with enchantments or forego them for one of the elemental scaling infusions if their appropriate stat(s) are high enough, and again it depends on what types of enemies you're going to be fighting.

The type of weapon you're modifying matters as well. Weapons with high base damage benefit more from flat damage infusions, weapons with high scaling benefit more from infusions that add or increase scaling. All gems are farmable in at least one location, so it doesn't hurt to experiment to find out what works.

add this to op

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works

Quality post, big help

Just one quick question

I started out with a Fire Gem Broadsword, like many people I realised this is by far the best weapon in the game for sword and board. What I'd like to know is, at what point does shifting from Fire Gem to Heavy/Refined on the broadsword do more damage, the flat damage from Fire is well, reallllly good, but at what numbers does scaling overtake the flat damage?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The main one I'm hazy with is Refined, with it's full implications.

Is it just entirely pointless on D/C or D/E weapons? What happens with weapons that don't have one type of scaling in the first place?

Or is it primarily for nudging C/E weapons into D/D weapons? outside of the rare snowflakes that actually have B or A scaling build in.

The rest seem simple enough to grasp. It's just the Refined loving with me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Haha, wait till you get to the loving ninja skeletons and skeleton giants that loving turn invisible as they charge you.

loving what.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So today I finished up Cathedral of the Deep. Ho-lee-poo poo that place is the devil. I know that this is Dark Souls but holy poo poo. I would say that 80% of my deaths up until now came from that monstrosity. Thankfully From was merciful on the boss for that place. And then I had a bad time trying to figure out how to catch up to everyone's favorite menace so I could buy poo poo from him.

After being reunited with my favorite spear, I took a well deserved break and went back to the forest, where I found the poison swamp. I was almost disappointed that it didn't have the Blighttown brand scaffolding that is usually present in those areas.

Then I met an old friend by which I mean a Black Knight who is definitely not my friend, who killed me. Then I beat my first lord of cinder. I really liked the Abyss Watchers. The first part of the fight was neat but thankfully brief, and the second phase was brutal but really fun. I won on my third attempt.

Love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Just did the entire cathedral with one summoned sunbro and like 3 others who died along the way. Got invaded twice and also had some blue cops show up. Didn't die once, and opened all the shortcuts, grabbed all the loot, and killed the boss. That was some of the most fun I've had in a souls game.