Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Nuebot posted:

Did we play a different dark souls? The first dark souls was pretty linear unless you were one of those nerds who read the wiki and picked the master key as your starting gifts. Like, it always struck me as weird that people gave 2 so much poo poo for its map design when in Dark Souls you went to a burning city, took a left from a blacksmith and suddenly were in a cliffside forest. Go into a little cave and bam, you were in a sunken city.

Well in 1's defense, atleast you didn't take an elevator going up at the top of a creaky wooden mill and end up at a castle sinking into lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was never bothered by the elevator thing as much as others. At first I thought it was super dumb but then I just thought of it as more proof that the world was falling apart at the seams.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I cannot for the life of me get Patches to show up in the firelink shrine. Everything I've read online says that if you miss him in the cathedral, beating the deacons/abyss watchers he'll just show up on his own.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

poptart_fairy posted:

Try not to summon NPCs for this fight, seriously. The level of satisfaction you'll get for nailing him is unbeaten! Just watch his attack patterns and learn to prepare for his massive flailing combo - he's very vulnerable during that, especially to counter damage.

I don't know, I tried 5 times and didn't successfully dodge more than once. Is this guy using a ring to get that effect when he rolls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4rLlecqp14

edit - ok there's an invisibility ring and a you might actually do a successful dodge ring.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 14, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Why is the invisible ring hot poo poo now anyway? I thought most people called it stupid back in dark souls 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Why is the invisible ring hot poo poo now anyway? I thought most people called it stupid back in dark souls 2.

It's not better now, it's the cool factor.

Einwand posted:

I cannot for the life of me get Patches to show up in the firelink shrine. Everything I've read online says that if you miss him in the cathedral, beating the deacons/abyss watchers he'll just show up on his own.

You need to buy the tower key. If you've already done all that, just go back up the tower.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After watching a bit of Lobos Jr's first playthrough I've come to the conclusion that From specifically designed DS3 to be an rear end in a top hat to people who play "traditionally" aka. carefully with a shield up.

He mostly just rushes in with his Broadsword and stunlocks everything and so far there are a bunch of nasty attacks and mechanics that he's never seen, both because he's killing the mobs fast and because the AI reacts differently. He breezed through the were-birds in seconds and none of the casters ever used their "shriek and enrage everything in a 100m radius" attack, nor did any of the birds attack him with the "you're dead"-flurry (because they were stunlocked the entire time mostly). Same goes for a bunch of enemies.

On my next playthrough, maybe I'll skip shields entirely. It really does seem like the AI is made to react and gently caress you up if you stay behind your shield.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

im liking the great scythe, good reach and speed.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nuebot posted:

Did we play a different dark souls? The first dark souls was pretty linear unless you were one of those nerds who read the wiki and picked the master key as your starting gifts. Like, it always struck me as weird that people gave 2 so much poo poo for its map design when in Dark Souls you went to a burning city, took a left from a blacksmith and suddenly were in a cliffside forest. Go into a little cave and bam, you were in a sunken city.

even without the master key you can do catacombs and the forest still.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Look, Dark Souls 1's world was incredible and a masterpiece of level design (except Lost Izaleth, Valley of Drakes, Demon Ruins, etc.) but it doesn't matter. Once you beat the game, the interconnectedness of the world meant nothing, and was often more inconvenient than just having fast travel from the start. It was neat seeing areas from other areas, but that is still a thing in this game. And it still has no bearing on the gameplay.

Each area of DS 3 is better than almost every area in DS1 or 2. Who gives a poo poo how you go from one area to the next? It was nice "Sequence breaking" for poo poo, but that was out of necessity for certain items, like if you wanted the Red Eye Orb early or something. And that sucked. They largely removed that inconvenience in DS3 by giving you the poo poo you want pretty much right out of the gate.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DrGreatJob posted:

Look, Dark Souls 1's world was incredible and a masterpiece of level design (except Lost Izaleth, Valley of Drakes, Demon Ruins, etc.) but it doesn't matter. Once you beat the game, the interconnectedness of the world meant nothing, and was often more inconvenient than just having fast travel from the start. It was neat seeing areas from other areas, but that is still a thing in this game. And it still has no bearing on the gameplay.

Each area of DS 3 is better than almost every area in DS1 or 2. Who gives a poo poo how you go from one area to the next?

The lack of an interconnected world means there's no choice in where you want to go next. DS1 if you were good enough you could go to Londo Ruins or Catacombs from the start. Throughout the game, depending on your skill, you always had at least one other area you could do instead. DS2 and 3 doesn't have that.

If you're trying to argue that the interconnected world of DS1 was merely cosmetic, you are being incredibly disingenuous.

edit: also I'd like to raise another point that from Firelink in DS1 if you looked up you could see Sen's and Anor Londo, if you looked down you could see Blighttown and the chasm of drakes. Everywhere you looked you knew you would end up there at some point. Beyond being 'cosmetic' it was a huge aspect of the game that you could explore the world around you.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 14, 2016

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

First glance I didn't like the swamp; coincidentally I didn't visit the Cathedral of the Deep first for it's poison resist gear and I didn't know about the quickstep weapon art. In hindsight, I actually do enjoy exploring around that hellhole and getting a feel for the land. I had to, more than once, go to high ground to see where to go. The watch_dog tower for example, gives you a perfectly clear view on which signal fires you haven't doused yet and you can more or less make a beeline to where you need to go. On the other hand, you need to be aware of the dangers of the swamp. Don't attack the solitary ghrues, don't attack the big fuckers wielding trees. Some things aren't worth dying for.

:agreed:

The poison does practically nothing healthwise but contributes to the "oh poo poo oh poo poo gently caress this place" pucker factor on the first runthrough. The place feels huge and overwhelming at first but once you recognize all the landmarks it's pretty easy to navigate, and the bigass tower is great to give some context for where you are in relation to everything else. It's super oppressive and intimidating at first but can be dealt with pretty quickly and efficiently once you catch your bearings. It is a Good Dark Souls Area, like all the ones before it (and probably all the ones past it but I haven't gone much further yet). gently caress I love this game.

Still torn on the interconnectedness of the world. Every place so far has been fantastic but some of my most memorable Dark Souls moments were stumbling into places I wasn't supposed to be yet, and being able to rush midgame areas right out of the gate was pretty neat for replays. But I mean DS3 so far has probably the most interesting areas of the Souls series so far (haven't played Bloodborne) and gives a great sense of where everything is in relation to one another, and I'm sure I've already missed a ton of poo poo so whatever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man, why is the frost sword so much better than the claymore?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wow the Dungeon is unfun garbage if you don't have any kind of ranged poo poo.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Orv posted:

You need to buy the tower key. If you've already done all that, just go back up the tower.

The tower that leads to the estus ring right? I've gone up it a few times and nothing. Well, forgot about the elevator, that did it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Man, why is the frost sword so much better than the claymore?

It's basically the long sword but with twinkling titanite from what I can tell.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 14, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Minor thing for folks who are just checking out the scenery and might be using the torch, you can actually hold it up and increase the lighting effect, it's not just a held passive anymore. :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dammit, hit a crash in the exact same spot several times in a row. Hopefully if I leave the game for awhile it'll resolve. It's at the bonfire after Crystal Sage, going up the stairs and fighting those two enemies. I was doing quite well against them but every time I got them down to about half health my game crashes and I get a "Dark Souls III has stopped working" message :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Einwand posted:

It's basically the long sword but with twinkling titanite from what I can tell.

Pretty much, but it looks way cooler. A raw longsword is probably more damaging but fashion beats function.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I like DS3 a lot but I don't like that i can't just go elsewhere besides always the same path to start :(

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh man, Deep Protection is so drat nice. Sure the boost isn't huge, but it buffs all sorts of really useful things. Attack boost is minor but still good, my absorbtion is doubled, and stamina regen is always great. And more importantly, it's just a fairly early, low-req and cheap to cast all-purpose buff which is just what this Faith build needs!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Finally decided to explore the path after the Watchers. Man the Ninja skeletons are rad as hell

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, armour any good in the game? I'm struggling to keep below 70% with sword and board, and anything Great or Ultra pushes me way over the limit. I like the look of Lothrian Knight stuff, but gently caress raising my armor allowance if I'm not getting anything out of it. I'm sure I can play dressup pretty zombie princess with lighter armour.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fat Samurai posted:

So, armour any good in the game? I'm struggling to keep below 70% with sword and board, and anything Great or Ultra pushes me way over the limit. I like the look of Lothrian Knight stuff, but gently caress raising my armor allowance if I'm not getting anything out of it. I'm sure I can play dressup pretty zombie princess with lighter armour.

You do get something out of it: the ability to wear way cooler armors. :v:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Fat Samurai posted:

No idea about the difference in damage taken since I've only used heavy armor the entire time, but the poise is basically useless. Full lothric knight armor with their spear that has a poise buff still has me getting staggered by the dinkiest enemy attacks. Like, those little thief dudes with daggers will stagger me which is kind of silly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What level are most people after the watchers? I'm only level 30 with a +4 weapon and seeing like zero summon signs.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GreyPowerVan posted:

What level are most people after the watchers? I'm only level 30 with a +4 weapon and seeing like zero summon signs.

i was ~43/+4 or +5 at watchers and the ground outside the watchers' arena was covered in signs

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Most people seem to be in their mid-40s for Catacombs which was way higher than I did it, and I seem to have kept behind the curve since then.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TheQat posted:

If farron bugs you wear the brigand or worker sets, they both have high poison resist. And do cathedral first for a poison res ring

You mean there's a place I can go before the poison swamp? I think I totally overlooked this cathedral by accident.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TheQat posted:

i was ~43/+4 or +5 at watchers and the ground outside the watchers' arena was covered in signs

Well poo poo. Why am I always behind the curve. I really like multiplayer. :/

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TaurusOxford posted:

Let me check the armors on the wiki, see if there is anything cooler than Lothric's.

Oh, god, there is a :catholic: Hat.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i think other people do a lot more coop and level a lot more than me, I'd just rather blow a bunch of souls on throwing knives and RP a ninja when I invade people.

edit: wow you said you guys were around 45 after the watchers? no wonder I feel like everyone I invade is loads stronger than me -- they are.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 14, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

TaurusOxford posted:

you also get better dodge and stam regen.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mindblast posted:

You mean there's a place I can go before the poison swamp? I think I totally overlooked this cathedral by accident.

from the Halfway Fortress or whatever the bonfire is called, kill the first two sharpened log guys. then bear hard left along the edge of the zone and you'll get to a stone building. inside that building there's a hallway with two big-hat mages at one end. once you kill them you can proceed to a pretty easy boss and cathedral

e: cathedral was a pain in the rear end for me, but i think i was just tired and tilting. very cool area

are the items on the ground near the second giant in cathedral anything special? i wanted to get them but as soon as i found out the water was slow for walking, i was too impatient to deal with it

emdash fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 14, 2016

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

you also get better dodge and stam regen.

Irrelevant, secondary concerns. Fashion Souls takes precedence

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. Unless there's a cheap gimmick, Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be my first npc summon. gently caress that guy.

The cheap gimmick is Be a Mage or Learn to Parry :v:

My friend spent like 4 hours on it with his dex build and was super excited to see me do it. I uh, two shot it with a pyromancer.

Your Computer posted:

After watching a bit of Lobos Jr's first playthrough I've come to the conclusion that From specifically designed DS3 to be an rear end in a top hat to people who play "traditionally" aka. carefully with a shield up.

He mostly just rushes in with his Broadsword and stunlocks everything and so far there are a bunch of nasty attacks and mechanics that he's never seen, both because he's killing the mobs fast and because the AI reacts differently. He breezed through the were-birds in seconds and none of the casters ever used their "shriek and enrage everything in a 100m radius" attack, nor did any of the birds attack him with the "you're dead"-flurry (because they were stunlocked the entire time mostly). Same goes for a bunch of enemies.

On my next playthrough, maybe I'll skip shields entirely. It really does seem like the AI is made to react and gently caress you up if you stay behind your shield.

This has always been true. Shields are for suckers, unless you're using it to parry.

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The lack of an interconnected world means there's no choice in where you want to go next. DS1 if you were good enough you could go to Londo Ruins or Catacombs from the start. Throughout the game, depending on your skill, you always had at least one other area you could do instead. DS2 and 3 doesn't have that.

If you're trying to argue that the interconnected world of DS1 was merely cosmetic, you are being incredibly disingenuous.

edit: also I'd like to raise another point that from Firelink in DS1 if you looked up you could see Sen's and Anor Londo, if you looked down you could see Blighttown and the chasm of drakes. Everywhere you looked you knew you would end up there at some point. Beyond being 'cosmetic' it was a huge aspect of the game that you could explore the world around you.

It seriously owns that you can make a new character and have a red eye orb in <1 hour.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
That lovely Smouldering Lake area has all of the game's worst enemies in it and old DK has some hosed up hitboxes

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

i think other people do a lot more coop and level a lot more than me, I'd just rather blow a bunch of souls on throwing knives and RP a ninja when I invade people.

edit: wow you said you guys were around 45 after the watchers? no wonder I feel like everyone I invade is loads stronger than me -- they are.

There is a matchmaking range for invaders, I believe it's +10 levels higher than you or -20 levels lower. Weapon buffs are a +/- 3 range as well, I think?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man, I restarted a new character for funsies and relearning the parry windows for a regular shield when you got used to a buckler is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

That lovely Smouldering Lake area has all of the game's worst enemies in it and old DK has some hosed up hitboxes

It's pretty appropriate considering what the area is; I was joking to a friend that the worst area from DS1 managed to meet its match in Even Worse Enemies, since there's a buncha capra and asylum demon corpses littering what used to be Izalith. Of course, that partly comes down to me being a Pyromancer and having no good way to fight them except puking boulders and a raw weapon at the time.