Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Yuria, did I screw up the story if she's mad at me? She left Firelink after I killed a pilgrim disguised as a statue :( Did the message deceive me? It was something like "Here! Miscreant" so I attacked and it died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

b0red posted:

So has a pvp place been established yet? Like the bridge?

The Cathedral of the Deep main bonfire is like 24/7 invasions, people seem to just chill at the bonfire and fight off whoever shows up. Works pretty well.

Digital_Jesus posted:

No, he phrased it right. Hes asking what the penalty is to to one-hand greatweapons with a shield instead of twohanding them.

Nah the other goon was right, that's definitely phrased the math backwards. He makes it sound like you need more STR to use it, like power stance.

To one-hand a weapon uses its normal stat requirements. Two-handing gives you a bonus 50% strength, meaning you need less, not more.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Your Computer posted:

As an addendum to this, one thing that I keep screwing up is how heavily this game queues actions. Was it this long in the previous games?

These move-queues I don't even remember Bloodborne having last so long, and BB had long ones. It's mad and I think bad, too long

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I need a definitive guide to Yoel of Londor because I've finished the game on JP version, and run 6 or 7 chracters, now, and I still don't know how to do his questline successfully. My understanding is I have to do something something with getting hollowed but every guide or wiki I read is pretty vague on the details. All I want is to get the ending that has the hollowed lord or whatever.

ffffuuuuuuuu

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Yuria, did I screw up the story if she's mad at me? She left Firelink after I killed a pilgrim disguised as a statue :( Did the message deceive me? It was something like "Here! Miscreant" so I attacked and it died.
I think you cut off the secret ending because I did the same thing :shrug: that's for NG+ I guess!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

I don't think levelling vigor is optional this time round. Shields don't seem very good.

You're using the wrong shields. Silver Herald Kite Shield and especially the Crest Shield are A+ in my book.

Also the Grass Crest but you don't generally block with that :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Finster Dexter posted:

I need a definitive guide to Yoel of Londor because I've finished the game on JP version, and run 6 or 7 chracters, now, and I still don't know how to do his questline successfully. My understanding is I have to do something something with getting hollowed but every guide or wiki I read is pretty vague on the details. All I want is to get the ending that has the hollowed lord or whatever.

ffffuuuuuuuu

Its not rocket appliances.

You have to accept his dark sign. That's it. That's all you can do with Yoel of Londor. He dies either way. But if you accept the sign, you get hollowed, and Yuria of Londor shows up, and you continue that questline without Yoel. Don't cure the darksign or else Yuria gets pissed off at you. The dark lord ending requires you to beat the game with like maximum hollowing and then do a thing at the end.

Your Computer posted:

Did you cure the darksign? Because if so that definitely pisses her off. Not sure about the statue guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I took all the levels the pilgrim would give me now I'm a hosed up zomb :waycool:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a Steam Controller and having trouble getting it to work with Dark Souls 3? Never had a problem with any other game except this one. I've tried searching for fixes but the only thing I manage to find is fixes for DS4/360 controllers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any point in healing the Dark Sigil? It costs like 100k souls, I already made myself look normal with a Purging Stone and I killed Yuria for being creepy so I'm guessing that locked me out of whatever story path that was taking me down.

Stones just remove accumulated hollowing. You will still continue to hollow with each death from the Dark Sigils.

Your Computer posted:

That message was entirely correct. Not sure why you would get rid of a foul backstabbing miscreant, Lord of Hollows.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not rocket appliances.

You have to accept his dark sign. That's it. That's all you can do with Yoel of Londor. He dies either way. But if you accept the sign, you get hollowed, and Yuria of Londor shows up, and you continue that questline without Yoel. Don't cure the darksign or else Yuria gets pissed off at you. The dark lord ending requires you to beat the game with like maximum hollowing and then do a thing at the end.

Did you cure the darksign? Because if so that definitely pisses her off. Not sure about the statue guy.

Well gently caress. I cured the Dark sigil immediately and now he won't offer me another one, which is what he did in my first JP playthrough so looks like I am starting over AGAIN.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think you cut off the secret ending because I did the same thing :shrug: that's for NG+ I guess!

Did the same and was pretty pissed off. That guy better be the most important motherfucker in the universe.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Uh. Wat. Spent 10 minutes firing 80 arrows at one of the dragons at Lothric Castle, when one died, so did the other but I got 0 souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Well gently caress. I cured the Dark sigil immediately and now he won't offer me another one, which is what he did in my first JP playthrough so looks like I am starting over AGAIN.

Well... to be fair... you already know there's an ending called hollow lord you'd think you could figure you should be hollowed for it :cheeky:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've decided that while I'm not good at Souls, I am good at finding a big enough hammer that it doesn't matter which hole I'm smashing this square peg into.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah its just because all the lovely bosses that are easy to kill aren't actually bosses in this game.

Take for example the smouldering lake worm; big impressive enemy visually, would definitely be a boss in the last two games. Completely trivial to kill so they didn't bother making it one.

Late but I also think it's way cooler to have these enemies appear out of the environment spontaneously, like they are a natural part of it. It's like coming across the hydra in DS1, you don't know what to do about it at first, and you make the choice to begin a hostile confrontation rather than leaving it to do its weird animal stuff.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I WANNA BE A SAIKYOU HERO.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

codo27 posted:

Uh. Wat. Spent 10 minutes firing 80 arrows at one of the dragons at Lothric Castle, when one died, so did the other but I got 0 souls.

Maybe you should investigate their remains :)

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
+3 punch man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I started off really disliking the Smouldering Lake, but in the end I enjoyed a lot about it.

The concept of climbing to the top to turn off that monstrous loving ballista was extremely cool. You have a goal right from the start of the area and when finally make it up there you have this ominous approach as the rumbling just gets louder and louder. You get there and you see that there's these dead giants and the realization dawns that this is just their ancient masterwork abandoned and running on its own (apparently with an advanced computer targeting system to boot). At last, once it's off, you return to the lake there's just this genuinely eerie silence that hangs over the area for the rest of your time there.

Admittedly I do wish there was a little more reason to actually turn the thing off since there's not all that much treasure left in the actual area that it guards. It's pretty much the worm fight and a few scattered shinies. Still the actual moment was cool.

On another note something funny happened to me during the boss fight of that area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBYYeyj6iQ

I thought I was a gonner, thanks fire defense gear. :v:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking across the base ARs of a whole bunch of heavier weapons, greatswords and ultra greatswords really need theirs bumped up pretty much across the board. Not necessarily to match greataxes, but to at least be a reasonable choice next to straight swords. Curved greatswords and spears need the help, too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So is it okay if I choose "No Promise" for sorceror guy, or will he disappear immediately after? I read he gets rather cross if he doesn't get his scrolls on time.

There's also some Yulia drama with him, if I had her at this time, apparently.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Can someone repost that basic chart of how all the areas connect? I can't seem to find it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zaphod42 posted:

I need to get the spell that lets you track players already.

If you are a Blue Sentinel it casts automatically :getin:

I love being a Blue Sentinel and switching to Sunbro when you hit a fog gate

I already have so many great Blue Sentinel moments

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are a Blue Sentinel it casts automatically :getin:

I love being a Blue Sentinel and switching to Sunbro when you hit a fog gate

I already have so many great Blue Sentinel moments

Yeah but I need to cast it when I'm invading :cheeky:

Also I have yet to be called in for bluecop duty even a single time, even though I've been punching in every day.

Got a few rings on the doggie clan, and I've been invading as a purple a whole bunch and having a blast killing reds or blues both, but no bluecop summons for me :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Woke up early this morning and decided to give Abyss Watchers another shot. Nailed both them and the catacombs boss. That's what's up.

Startin' the day right. :coffee:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I have yet to be called in for bluecop duty even a single time, even though I've been punching in every day.

Weird I have bluecopped like ten times now. Sometimes I get bluecopped into zones I am not even in.

Last night I was blue and got summoned into an invasion with a guy and a sunbro buddy. Me and sunbro stood on both ends of a hallway with tower shields up and forced the invader into a single room for the host to fight him in. It owned.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ufarn posted:

So is it okay if I choose "No Promise" for sorceror guy, or will he disappear immediately after? I read he gets rather cross if he doesn't get his scrolls on time.

There's also some Yulia drama with him, if I had her at this time, apparently.

I don't know about saying no promise but in my first playthrough I didn't find him till after two LOCs and I just went and talked to him in Firelink immediately after and he was fine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

man nurse posted:

Woke up early this morning and decided to give Abyss Watchers another shot. Nailed both them and the catacombs boss. That's what's up.

Startin' the day right. :coffee:

the jump between exhausted Souls before you quit and fresh souls when you start the next day is always amazing

ufarn
May 30, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't know about saying no promise but in my first playthrough I didn't find him till after two LOCs and I just went and talked to him in Firelink immediately after and he was fine.
I pressed Cancel, and it seemed to work. I'll let him stew for a bit.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not done with the game yet, not nearly, but there are so many really disgusting monsters. It's actually quite impressive how they keep getting more and more gross.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
What's the threads opinion about summoning etiquette? If I put my summoning sign right in front of a boss room, I find it pretty annoying if someone wants me to run through the entire preceding level with them. I've done that, but I put the summoning sign at a bonfire if that's what I want to do. I had 3 people summon me in front of the boss in the undead village, and then promptly go back to the village and wait for me to help them kill mobs. I got tired of it after the third (they all died before I got anything out of it), so now I just leave when they don't go to the boss.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My second time being invaded and it's some rear end in a top hat who won't actually fight and just runs into uncleared enemies instead. Eventually he got more bored than I was and came to try and fight me and lost horribly, good use of 15 minutes on both ends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

In general I kind of agree, except that I wish magic was a little more usable in the early- to mid-game.

Pyromancy is very very strong, though, which leads me to believe it's either heading for a nerf or they'll eventually buff the other magic types to its level. Not too sure which to put my money on yet :v:

The main reason Pyromancy is so good is that the loot distribution on Miracles is hosed to all hell.

Pyromancy gets all it's good spells dumped on it in one single area, not that far in the game, all at once basically. Miracles have a hell of a lot longer to wait.

Sorcery is alright.

Zaphod42 posted:

Got a few rings on the doggie clan, and I've been invading as a purple a whole bunch and having a blast killing reds or blues both, but no bluecop summons for me :(

Same :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone know a good source of titanite shards? I dropped a bunch of titanite on weapons that ended up not panning out and now I'd really like to switch back to the Longsword, which is stuck at +1.

Alternatively, how far into Farron Keep are the ashes to make the Handmaiden sell titanite shards? I have a couple bonfires there so if it's reasonably close to like the second bonfire that'd obviously be preferable to farming.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The main reason Pyromancy is so good is that the loot distribution on Miracles is hosed to all hell.

Pyromancy gets all it's good spells dumped on it in one single area, not that far in the game, all at once basically. Miracles have a hell of a lot longer to wait.

Sorcery is alright.

Yeah, I noticed that. I get that they want to reinforce that Carthus is the land of pyromancy, but jeez, they really clustered the tomes, didn't they?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I toyed around with the butcher's knife last night and found it to be pretty alright. You do heal after every hit even without the L2 skill active, but it's 1 hp at +2. With Sharpen active it heals for ~15-20 which isn't an awful lot, you have to move really quick if you want to get more health out of it compared to spending your fp on a basic heal. I haven't counted frames on it to verify, but the moveset seems faster than the battle axe but slower than the long/broadsword, which is fine because the damage seems to fall right along that speed/damage curve.

Pretty good if you don't gently caress around with magic, maybe avoid if you use a lot of resins/magic/lightning weapons because it cannot take an infusion or be buffed.

I got a heavy stone and the Exile greatsword last night. Maybe I'll play around with that tonight.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I'm stuck atm. After the crucifixion area there's the graveyard leading up to the side of a cathedral. Is there another bonfire after the chapel or am I stuck fighting up this roof?

I keep getting my poo poo pushed in up there.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Harrow posted:

Anyone know a good source of titanite shards? I dropped a bunch of titanite on weapons that ended up not panning out and now I'd really like to switch back to the Longsword, which is stuck at +1.

Alternatively, how far into Farron Keep are the ashes to make the Handmaiden sell titanite shards? I have a couple bonfires there so if it's reasonably close to like the second bonfire that'd obviously be preferable to farming.

Enemies in that zone, the poison swamp half that is, tend to drop titanite shards fairly often, but there's a big huge tower near the end of the poison swamp with a ladder leading up the side, you can get the ashes up there, as well as a bonfire.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Einwand posted:

My second time being invaded and it's some rear end in a top hat who won't actually fight and just runs into uncleared enemies instead

this happens a lot early in release it seems. As the game ages the only invaders left tend to be duellists and pvp builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shoehead posted:

So I'm stuck atm. After the crucifixion area there's the graveyard leading up to the side of a cathedral. Is there another bonfire after the chapel or am I stuck fighting up this roof?

I keep getting my poo poo pushed in up there.

You need to cross the roof but there's a shortcut ladder very close by so you don't need to go through the graveyard again. This place is filled with shortcuts that keep leading you back to the chapel bonfire so just keep pressing on.