Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gettysburg is 6 hours of cinematic bliss how dare you sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Don't go throwing any shade on Col. Chamberlain, son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

His qualifications had basically no relationship to his quality, though. Sometimes those guys turn out great, sometimes underqualified dudes put their unit swinging in the wind in a peach orchard.

JcDent posted:

Deutchland uber alles is such a weak song, I would quit Nazi party on the spot. Now, the Soviet anthem is where it gets good.

Auferstanden aus Ruinen is an absolutely great song too, although I can see why Deutschland is pretty appropriate to pick when reunifying. Shame.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The issue of officer recruitment/training in conscript armies really hasn't ever been satisfactorily solved, I don't think at least. It was worse during the 19th century and the ACW in particular because a lot of times your position as a regiment commander was by virtue of your status in the community and or your ability to pay for the regiment.

Basically, when your pool of military professionals is both small and unimpressive, what DO you do? I'm not sure I have a better solution than what they came up with.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Out of curiosity, are amateur volunteer/conscript officers still viable on a modern battlefield? It kinda feels like modern warfare has gotten complicated enough that it isn't possible to achieve a minimum functioning level of competence without training anymore, but I'm interested to see what the thinking is nowadays.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Am I the only one who things Little Mac to be perhaps the most adorable nickname a soldier can give to his commander now?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bewbies posted:

The issue of officer recruitment/training in conscript armies really hasn't ever been satisfactorily solved, I don't think at least. It was worse during the 19th century and the ACW in particular because a lot of times your position as a regiment commander was by virtue of your status in the community and or your ability to pay for the regiment.
Yes, but when you compare it to an aristocratic commander, who becomes an officer / commander by virtue of inhering money and title both, at least your notables displayed some form of talent. It's not like they have the example of a proper officer staff before them, since those...

Oh, were totally a thing for the entire 19th century? Well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmegin posted:

The NVA had paratroopers? :psyduck:

For a second I forgot who we were talking about and thought you meant East Germany. Those guys did have paratroopers and I've even seen their weird helmets!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

feedmegin posted:

North Vietnam had an actual army, with Chinese and USSR advisers. Fighting guerrillas in the jungle was actually a relatively minor part of that war.

Hell, the Vietnam People's Air Force kicked Yankee rear end all over the place.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Tomn posted:

Out of curiosity, are amateur volunteer/conscript officers still viable on a modern battlefield? It kinda feels like modern warfare has gotten complicated enough that it isn't possible to achieve a minimum functioning level of competence without training anymore, but I'm interested to see what the thinking is nowadays.

A bunch of countries that have conscription have an officer corps that come out of the conscript pool. That's how you get reserve officers, at least in Finland and Norway.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

This is...not really true.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Thomamelas posted:

The evolutionary replacement cartridge for the .38 LC is the .38 Special. Which later on cops would claim lacked the stopping power needed to put down criminals. I suspect that the biggest issue the .38 LC and the .38 Special faced is that shooting in a stress situation is hard. And it's likely in a lot of cases with the troops facing the Moro or the cops, they likely just missed a lot and assumed they hit.

Having qualified on numberous weapon systems including pistols, I can attest that pistols very quickly lose accuracy. Esp if you're firing under stress?

If I were ever in that situation, I wouldn't trust myself to hit a target beyond, say, 5-10 feet.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

While the M4 Carbine didn't exist in 1993, the Colt Commando/CAR-15 series of carbine AR-15s had been around since the 1960s and they saw common usage with special forces like the Rangers and Delta Force. Delta and Ranger operators are even recorded as having used Aimpoint 500 reflex sights during the operation.

Would that have even been an issue in Mogadishu? Long-range rifles are kinda unneeded in an urban enviroment, carbines are preferable, I think.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xander77 posted:

North Vietnam had an actual army, with Chinese and USSR advisers. Fighting guerrillas in the jungle was actually a relatively minor part of that war.

I'm aware of that. What it did not have is the sort of command of the air where you can drop people in parachutes.

And, uh, as bewbies noted, it would be a wildly different war if North Vietnam actually did have air superiority!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Paratroops just means people trained as paratroopers. In many militaries during many conflicts (Soviets in WWII is a big example) they aren't actually used in that role, but instead find themselves deployed as a sort of elite reserve force.

Somewhat analogously, you can wonder what proportion of time the US marines spend doing amphibious operations these days. Probably not a lot.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

bewbies posted:

This is...not really true.
I'm not saying they had air superiority, if that's what you mean. I'm saying that with the limited resources they had (first establishing a fighting pilot force after war had already started, and fighting an enemy that massively outnumbered by every conceivable criteria), they kicked shitloads of Yankee rear end.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wasn't some of pilots fighting for North Vietnam actually Soviet?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

I'm not saying they had air superiority, if that's what you mean. I'm saying that with the limited resources they had (first establishing a fighting pilot force after war had already started, and fighting an enemy that massively outnumbered by every conceivable criteria), they kicked shitloads of Yankee rear end.

What metrics are you using here? None that I'm familiar with support this position.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

bewbies posted:

What metrics are you using here? None that I'm familiar with support this position.
I remember seeing, admittedly in a Cracked article, that the NVAF "beat" the USAF by punching well above their weight, scoring surprisingly high KD ratios and bloodying American noses. Even if they didn't actually win the air war, they gave the Americans a good enough fight that they actually had to rethink doctrine and technology for future conflicts.
ETA: poo poo like this. USAF Fixed-Wing Losses To Hostile Action: 1737. NVAF: 198. Although granted, now you're going to point out that most of those losses were due to NVA SAMs than NVAF planes.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 14, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Here is the part I was remembering from the book. There's an account of a bunch of camouflaged NVA basically jumping out of the bushes like ninjas at a recon team, one wrestling a CAR-15 away from an American and shooting him dead. They appeared to be attempting to capture at least one American alive, and what was left of the team broke contact, got a radio call off and were extracted after a chase.

"Four months earlier--about as long as it would have taken for a new unit to travel down the trail--Ho Chi Minh had attended a ceremony in Son Tay, 30 miles West of Hanoi, to congratulate the first graduates of a unique new school. This date, 19 March 1967, conincides with that cited by postwar North Vietnamese publications as the organization date for 'Special Operations Forces in the Vietnamese people's war.' And it's the same date that North Vietnam's only paratroop unit, the 305th Airborne Brigade, (which by no small coincidence was based at the same town, Son Tay), was disbanded. Clearly, the North Vietnamese had converted their Soviet-trained parachute unit into a new, special-ioperations organization.

<snip>

More than half the 305th Brigade's paratroops became "sappers," the suicidal night infiltrators renowned for penetrating American base camps, wearing only shorts and carrying satchel charges. Sappers were respected and feared throughout South Vietnam.

Unknown to American intelligence, another 305th Brigade element became counter-recon units, whose mission it was to hunt down and kill SOG teams."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

If you look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post&#8211;World_War_II_air-to-air_combat_losses

You can probably argue that the Vietnamese did a lot better vs the US and their allies than pretty much anyone else managed after WWII.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Paratroops just means people trained as paratroopers. In many militaries during many conflicts (Soviets in WWII is a big example) they aren't actually used in that role, but instead find themselves deployed as a sort of elite reserve force.

Somewhat analogously, you can wonder what proportion of time the US marines spend doing amphibious operations these days. Probably not a lot.

They actually did use their paratroopers in air drop operations. One such example I can find, but nothing online so the source is questionable, is an action at Okorovovo on 17 February 1942

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They actually did use their paratroopers in air drop operations. One such example I can find, but nothing online so the source is questionable, is an action at Okorovovo on 17 February 1942

Yeah but the point is that it's generally early war, pretty rare, and usually ineffective.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's also paratrooper drops in the Dnieper operation, which are what really got them to stop dropping because it was a titanic fuckup that even Arnhem can use for reassurance that it wasn't that bad. It was late, slow, and piecemeal, and in many cases dripped right onto enemy forces on both an operational and tactical level (IE Germans beating the first waves badly and quickly enough they could get their orders and be waiting for subsequent drops).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

Yeah but the point is that it's generally early war, pretty rare, and usually ineffective.

Looks cool as hell though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

darthbob88 posted:

ETA: poo poo like this. USAF Fixed-Wing Losses To Hostile Action: 1737. NVAF: 198. Although granted, now you're going to point out that most of those losses were due to NVA SAMs than NVAF planes.

Most of them were probably due to conventional AAA artillery. Looking at the number of planes shot down by ground fire as a metric of NVAF performance is pretty weak.

I could bring up air-to-air kill ratios, but that's an equally weak way of looking at it. You have air superiority when you get get to operate how you want at a particular place and time and your enemy's air force can't stop you from doing it. Equally, if you can use your air force to prevent the enemy from operating how he wants to at a particular place and time, you have denied him air superiority. There's no point in the war where the NVAF had air superiority.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Given the differential of resources, it is pretty much impossible to say one air force outperformed the other in the Vietnam War.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The ballistics gel seems to explode when it recompresses, is that because of adiabatic heating? And then it expels some gas out of the entry hole, is that hot powderized ballistics gel?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thalantos posted:

Would that have even been an issue in Mogadishu? Long-range rifles are kinda unneeded in an urban enviroment, carbines are preferable, I think.

In fact, the US military is gradually removing the larger M16s from general infantry service in favor of M4s, with M16s relegated to reserve and specific long-range environments like mountains. I think the distance at which the M4 loses effectiveness is more like several hundred yards (not 100 yards), but it's definitely as effective as a larger M16 in close quarters and is much easier to carry around.

Most of the problems faced in Mogadishu were unrelated to the weaponry and signifiers of general overconfidence (like soldiers removing "extraneous" gear like armor plates and night vision equipment because they were expecting it to be a simple snatch-and-grab) or the result of poor communication and decisions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

The ballistics gel seems to explode when it recompresses, is that because of adiabatic heating? And then it expels some gas out of the entry hole, is that hot powderized ballistics gel?

The blurb taken from the video

quote:

The best explanation I have seen is that the hot bullet vaporizes some of the gel (which is flammable) and between the friction, heat of the bullet, and air being sucked into the temporary stretch cavity, as the TSX collapses it acts like a diesel engine and compresses the mixture of heated gel vapor and air until it explodes. You can see the exhaust gas exiting the entrance hole.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

darthbob88 posted:

I remember seeing, admittedly in a Cracked article, that the NVAF "beat" the USAF by punching well above their weight, scoring surprisingly high KD ratios and bloodying American noses. Even if they didn't actually win the air war, they gave the Americans a good enough fight that they actually had to rethink doctrine and technology for future conflicts.

Ceteris paribus, a big determinant of your number of aircraft losses is the number of aircraft you have, and the number of sorties you put in the air.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

In fact, the US military is gradually removing the larger M16s from general infantry service in favor of M4s, with M16s relegated to reserve and specific long-range environments like mountains. I think the distance at which the M4 loses effectiveness is more like several hundred yards (not 100 yards), but it's definitely as effective as a larger M16 in close quarters and is much easier to carry around.

The FM lists maximum effective range as 500 yards, but that doesn't take into account the terminal ballistics of the bullet.

Good paper:

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA512331

quote:

Combat in Afghanistan has shown several trends. The enemy takes advantage of the terrain and engages patrols or convoys from high ground. He also combines this advantage with heavy weapons systems and mortars from a distance, typically beyond 300 meters.6 From the infantryman’s perspective, he attempts to fix the enemy, since his equipment limits his ability to maneuver, and attempts to kill the enemy through close air support (CAS), close combat attack, (CCA) or indirect fire.

The infantryman’s ability to fix or kill the enemy with organic weapon systems at distances beyond 200 meters is limited by his equipment and training. The incapacitation mechanism of small caliber bullets, such as the 5.56-mm, comes primarily from bullet fragmentation.7 Bullet fragmentation occurs only at a sufficiently high velocity. All 5.56-mm weapons are most effective when employed within 200 meters due to velocity limitations. Once contact is made, the fight is limited to machine gunners, mortars and designated marksmen. In the table of organization for a light infantry company8 only the six –M240B 7.62-mm machineguns, two- 60-mm mortars and nine designated marksman armed with either 7.62-mm M14 rifles or accurized 5.56-mm M16A4’s rifles are able to effectively engage the enemy. These weapons systems represent 19 percent of the company’s firepower. This means that 81 percent of the company has little effect on the fight.

Goes into some detail on training and doctrine and is worth a read.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Those numbers really aren't very useful in my opinion. Loss rate is a much better metric to measure attrition, and the loss rate in Vietnam was a fraction of what we saw in WWII and Korea despite a much higher concentration of sorties. And, as you noted, the vast majority of American losses were to ground-based systems, not aircraft.

That being said, loss rates still aren't a great metric to use in assessing a counter-air campaign. The ultimate point of an air campaign is to influence operations on the ground, and the ultimate point of a counter-air campaign is to disrupt that effort. Through that lens, the VPAF really didn't have any significant successes... at no point did the US seriously modify its approach to either heavy or attack operations in Vietnam due to the VPAF. This was in major contrast to Korea, where the Chinese managed to outright halt heavy bomber operations and dramatically curtail attack operations (especially by piston engine aircraft).

Of course you're correct that it gave the US plenty to think about with regard to gear and books but every conflict is like that, regardless of outcome.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Wallensteinsyndrom
hey, that dude goddamn killed people, dunno what McClellan's problem is

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You know who also has mental disorders and killed people in war? Caro.

Hey guys I might get to fly a B-17 and B-24 if I do I will report back here with pictures and comments.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Am I the only one who things Little Mac to be perhaps the most adorable nickname a soldier can give to his commander now?
marse bob

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago, Now With Brucie Bonus

Right then. It's the 10th of April. Last time we checked in with Edward Mousley, he was rather taciturn. Today we find out why. If you like animals a lot, you should probably just search for "Battle of Verdun". For everyone else, it's time for Mousley to say goodbye to his best, closest friend in the garrison. And it's not Cockie. Also there are some musings about stories that make me angry, and stories that make me miserable.

Anyway. At Verdun, General Petain scores a propaganda triumph and a combat stalemate. General Baratov in Persia is headed off at the pass; Grigoris Balakian continues looking out for his fellows even as he plans to save himself; Louis Barthas seems to get a very fair hearing from Colonel Douce about his lost corporal's stripes and insults the commandant's horse-riding into the bargain; E.S. Thompson prepares to rejoin his unit; Robert Pelissier is inspected by President Poincare (again) and General d'Esperey, who's moving up in the world; and Maximilian Mugge is trying to make his bed to the Army's satisfaction, which he claims is considerably more daunting than drill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

While the M4 Carbine didn't exist in 1993, the Colt Commando/CAR-15 series of carbine AR-15s had been around since the 1960s and they saw common usage with special forces like the Rangers and Delta Force. Delta and Ranger operators are even recorded as having used Aimpoint 500 reflex sights during the operation.
Specifically the Colt Carbine Model 727 and Model 733 were used by Delta Force in the operation. Given how things work and that Delta Force had their armourer with them the strong suggestion is made in the book that he modified the weapons of Rangers who asked nicely enough.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Most of the problems faced in Mogadishu were unrelated to the weaponry and signifiers of general overconfidence (like soldiers removing "extraneous" gear like armor plates and night vision equipment because they were expecting it to be a simple snatch-and-grab) or the result of poor communication and decisions.

lol, oh, I know! I had an M-4 when I deployed. Considering how cramped humvees can get, i was glad for any kit that was smaller.

The battle of Mogadishu's a great training moment. Every time I was doing PCCs and I was tempted to not check on something/bring something, I would think of that scene and go "nope! takin' all my stuff."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

(Mousley story)

Jesus Christ, Trin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago, Now With Brucie Bonus

Right then. It's the 10th of April. Last time we checked in with Edward Mousley, he was rather taciturn. Today we find out why. If you like animals a lot, you should probably just search for "Battle of Verdun". For everyone else, it's time for Mousley to say goodbye to his best, closest friend in the garrison. And it's not Cockie. Also there are some musings about stories that make me angry, and stories that make me miserable.

Anyway. At Verdun, General Petain scores a propaganda triumph and a combat stalemate. General Baratov in Persia is headed off at the pass; Grigoris Balakian continues looking out for his fellows even as he plans to save himself; Louis Barthas seems to get a very fair hearing from Colonel Douce about his lost corporal's stripes and insults the commandant's horse-riding into the bargain; E.S. Thompson prepares to rejoin his unit; Robert Pelissier is inspected by President Poincare (again) and General d'Esperey, who's moving up in the world; and Maximilian Mugge is trying to make his bed to the Army's satisfaction, which he claims is considerably more daunting than drill.

I knew this was coming as soon as I noticed Mousley's occasional references to Don Juan and now that it has it's still so rough. :smith:

• Locked thread