Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

All television programs are garbage of no lasting artistic value. You will not rewatch Breaking Bad in twenty years, whereas you have probably watched a > twenty year old movie in the past couple weeks.

Look at this guy who's never seen Breaking Bad or The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WHOOPS posted:

my star crossed lover :swoon:

She's pretty awesome, yeah. :3:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
The mayor of Pittsburgh really hopes De Blasio takes this bet.

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/720093253375111168

If Pittsburgh wins their mayor'd get tickets to the hottest show in the world right now. If New York wins De Blasio gets... to go to an Elk's Lodge and watch old guys play banjo.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Tobermory posted:

Some of this is just Lee trying to strongarm his own party leadership.

Really doesn't justify him holding poisoned children hostage.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Really doesn't justify him holding poisoned children hostage.

Oh, agreed. I'm saying that he's holding poisoned children hostage in his amoral pursuit of personal power, not in the name of his horrible ideology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Look at this guy who's never seen Breaking Bad or The Wire.

Or Star Trek TOS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

Nah, boon definitely reports people that he doesn't like

See: my last timeout

I didn't report you though...

Also, frankly I rarely report people, so hearing that radbot got probated kind of made my day. I did report Something Else the other day for dropping some NWS poo poo openly in the Bernie thread and then continuing to be a poo poo about it though.

Tobermory posted:

Oh, agreed. I'm saying that he's holding poisoned children hostage in his amoral pursuit of personal power, not in the name of his horrible ideology.

Interesting article, and I stand by my statement.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boon posted:

Oh hey guys in case you were wondering if Mike Lee is still a huge poo poo-stain and seeping hemorrhoid on the rear end in a top hat of humanity; well he still is!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/politics/congress-flint-michigan-water-funding/index.html

When is the Senate going to decide enough is enough and get rid of all their bullshit gentlemanly rules that let giant assholes like Lee demand concessions as if they were a king? Oh, what are we to do, Senator Lee said he didn't want to do this so he put a hold on it. Oh, if only the 99 other Senators could stop this devilish plot!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've never watched it because I can't get past the inherent ludicrousness of the idea of South Carolina electing a Democrat to national office. We don't have a single Democrat elected to any state wide office, period. They might as well be making a show about a magical unicorn wizard, it would be more realistic and easier to suspend disbelief.

I can't speak to the wizardly power of Jim Clyburn, but I am quite sure he isn't' a unicorn.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gyges posted:

When is the Senate going to decide enough is enough and get rid of all their bullshit gentlemanly rules that let giant assholes like Lee demand concessions as if they were a king? Oh, what are we to do, Senator Lee said he didn't want to do this so he put a hold on it. Oh, if only the 99 other Senators could stop this devilish plot!

I can't speak to the wizardly power of Jim Clyburn, but I am quite sure he isn't' a unicorn.

House representative!=statewide officeholder

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cythereal posted:

Or Star Trek TOS.

That's a 50/50 proposition, for every soaring narrative about overcoming racism, there's an episode where Kirk gets brainwashed into thinking he's Native American

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
What is Time Magazine's readership, anyway? I assume it's mostly baby boomers, since every cover I see at the store is some flavor of worshiping a baby-boomer icon from 20-50 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the debt cover is just a naked marketing campaign to get idiotic boomers to buy the piece of poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

What is Time Magazine's readership, anyway? I assume it's mostly baby boomers, since every cover I see at the store is some flavor of worshiping a baby-boomer icon from 20-50 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the debt cover is just a naked marketing campaign to get idiotic boomers to buy the piece of poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

House representative!=statewide officeholder

It is however a national office. In fact, Frank Underwood is also Democratic a member of the House.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kro-Bar posted:

The mayor of Pittsburgh really hopes De Blasio takes this bet.

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/720093253375111168

If Pittsburgh wins their mayor'd get tickets to the hottest show in the world right now. If New York wins De Blasio gets... to go to an Elk's Lodge and watch old guys play banjo.

I'd rather hear old guys play the banjo than see "Hamilton", a hip hop musical about men in breeches.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GalacticAcid posted:

I'd rather hear old guys play the banjo than see "Hamilton", a hip hop musical about men in breeches.

I'd probably enjoy either one, but I'm not silly enough to pretend they're of equal value.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'd definitely go to banjo night. When you've got a group of pro pickers, you're in for a show!

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What's Sam Waterson doing nowadays? This calls for McCoy's tact for prosecution (seriously, his closing argument for the episode against the gun manufacturer is still amazing).

Playing Martin Sheen's boyfriend in Frankie and Grace, and doing it amazingly.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

I'd definitely go to banjo night. When you've got a group of pro pickers, you're in for a show!

Very true.

Here's a big article about liberalism in American cities with profiles of both de Blasio and Bill Peduto. It's a couple years old now but germane to the present discussion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lower median age than the cable networks.

Gyges posted:

It is however a national office. In fact, Frank Underwood is also Democratic a member of the House.

If he's been there for decades then it's perfectly plausible. Congress values seniority over pretty much everything.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah I always assumed F.U. had been around since time immemorial and when the seat would be refilled it'd be a Republican taking over. Pretty much everything about his career in the beginning of House of Cards only makes sense if he has been in the House for a very long time and presumably chairing some prestigious committee since he reasonably expects to be named Secretary of State.

Compare to the UK version where Urquhart is a fairly obscure MP who has been operating the whip's office for ages and takes the party over by storm. It's more plausible yet implausible in its own way since in the UK the party can pick whoever the hell it wants and they'll be the PM, end of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I thought Underwood started as whip too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm like 90% certain that the only reason Underwood is from South Carolina is that Spacey really wanted to do the accent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say this Trump poo poo sure has made HoC seem a lot more realistic.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The New York City public employees' pension fund is reallocating its hedge fund investments on the grounds that the returns do not justify the fees.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

And boring. I stopped midway through this season because why bother

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

And Veep!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joementum posted:

I'm like 90% certain that the only reason Underwood is from South Carolina is that Spacey really wanted to do the accent.

House of Cards was basically datamined into existence so it's the Netflix audience that wanted that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

haveblue posted:

House of Cards was basically datamined into existence so it's the Netflix audience that wanted that.

Could you elaborate? This sounds interesting.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

That's a 50/50 proposition, for every soaring narrative about overcoming racism, there's an episode where Kirk gets brainwashed into thinking he's Native American

Watching through star trek the next generation, there is this episode about the enterprise visiting a race of androgenous aliens who through social engineering have eliminated gender.

The main thrust of the episode is Riker starts a relationship with one of the aliens who sees herself as female, which is illegal by government. Anyone who isn't genderless is persecuted.

The climax of the episode is the androgian giving a speech about how it's OK to have.a gender. But later on she is brainwashed by their ministry of brainwashing and they remove the gender from her brain. "Gender is a barbaric institution in our society!"

Litterally jumped.out of my seat shouting "TRULY AHEAD OF ITS TIME!!!"

Obviously the episode back in the day was about how it's OK to be gay, but now with the rise of tumblr and slacktivist bullying its taken a new meaning.

Truly ahead of its time.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Watching through star trek the next generation, there is this episode about the enterprise visiting a race of androgenous aliens who through social engineering have eliminated gender.

The main thrust of the episode is Riker starts a relationship with one of the aliens who sees herself as female, which is illegal by government. Anyone who isn't genderless is persecuted.

The climax of the episode is the androgian giving a speech about how it's OK to have.a gender. But later on she is brainwashed by their ministry of brainwashing.

Obviously the episode back in the day was about how it's OK to be gay, but now with the rise of tumblr and slacktivist bullying its taken a new meaning.

Truly ahead of its time.

It's even more ahead of its time because Frakes wanted to cast a male actor in the alien role, so it would hit home more with the audience (of the time). Paramount was like, uh, nah.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The climax of the episode is the androgian giving a speech about how it's OK to have.a gender. But later on she is brainwashed by their ministry of brainwashing.

Truly ahead of its time.

IIRC, Johnathan Franks wanted the person he had a relationship with in that episode to be played by an actor and not an actress, but Berman refused.

e: gently caress you zoux

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VanSandman posted:

Here's a New York Times article on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/business/media/for-house-of-cards-using-big-data-to-guarantee-its-popularity.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

This relates to what I do for a living, so I hope you don't mind if I step in here. haveblue is overstating it a little - what Netflix does is incorporate viewer habits and ratings into its development process, not unlike what all TV networks have done since the beginning, just a with a ~tech industry~ sheen. They sat down and saw that Kevin Spacey movies did well, the British HoC did well, Fincher movies did well, and put that all together.

The first step of the development process is always "Hey what actors do people like? What directors do they like? What stories do they like?" One of the primary tasks low-level development employees do is create and maintain grids that rank hot talent and track their current projects, but Netflix is somewhat unusual in that they claim they drew those rankings only from their own viewers, and not the world at large. The results aren't any different than any other bankable star+trendy topic development success story, but crediting it to Big Data lets Netflix seem different and modern and Hollywood Outsider.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

All television programs are garbage of no lasting artistic value.

That is a retarded opinion.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I still have the giligan's island jingle in my head 20 years later

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

comic books are the only genre that will be remembered

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/conradclose/status/720705446298939392

:lol:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

blue squares posted:

comic books are the only genre that will be remembered

Video games :colbert:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The climax of the episode is the androgian giving a speech about how it's OK to have.a gender. But later on she is brainwashed by their ministry of brainwashing and they remove the gender from her brain. "Gender is a barbaric institution in our society!"

Truly ahead of its time.

Super-progressive for 1994.

No, really. The culture at large was awful to gays in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It would be very hard for the hero of Duval to be worse than Ander Crenshaw. Hell, he's better than the current leading candidates; the former Sheriff and some rich tea party rear end in a top hat serving his first term in the Florida Senate.

• Locked thread