Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

alansmithee posted:

I think I'd maybe want a way to fit in one more Anguished Unmaking to deal with enchantments/planeswalkers neatly.

Already 3 in the 75, that is enough. Hell it might be too much. Ruinous path is probably a better card than putting anymore than 2 unmaking int he 75 but it is what I have decided on being so early in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rimusutera posted:

Since you were talking about story stuff I assumed you were judging the planes on their stories and flavour. Annihilator was kinda feel bad and so was infect, and like Phrexian mana is cool and powerful but ultimately a mistake. There's mechanical mistakes to all manner of sets.

Still OG Mirrodin broke magic in half for the second time in its existence with Affinity/Ravager, but it was a cool set flavour wise. Its corruption and the return of Phrexia is still one of the best stories in Magic (which isn't saying alot I know) especially compared to Mirrodin's original story (versus its cool flavour).

To me, the whole New Phyrexia thing is one of the best examples of how modern Magic takes a story arc with a lot of potential and shoots its legs out from under it by orphaning it in a block with nothing related to it for years on either side. The only sort of connected thing that I think we've seen since is Theros, and even there you really have to dig in order to realize that it's connected by the plot thread of Elspeth looking for help with Phyrexia.

Of course, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for. "I wish Wizards would revisit their established storylines and do something with them..." *monkey paw finger curls up as Ulamog and Kozilek burn to death in the background*

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

To me, the whole New Phyrexia thing is one of the best examples of how modern Magic takes a story arc with a lot of potential and shoots its legs out from under it by orphaning it in a block with nothing related to it for years on either side. The only sort of connected thing that I think we've seen since is Theros, and even there you really have to dig in order to realize that it's connected by the plot thread of Elspeth looking for help with Phyrexia.

Of course, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for. "I wish Wizards would revisit their established storylines and do something with them..." *monkey paw finger curls up as Ulamog and Kozilek burn to death in the background*

I'm actually not sure how that wasn't the foreseeable conclusion nor am I sure why it's particularly unsatisfactory aside from a literal interpretation of the simplified form.

I'm more sad that they killed off Slobad :qq:.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing the invitational this weekend?

I have 4 people in my area just begging for borrows on Avacyn. They're running 4 in each of their decks. The invitational is gonna be just 5 mana held up all day everyday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

keeblerdrow posted:

I have 4 people in my area just begging for borrows on Avacyn. They're running 4 in each of their decks. The invitational is gonna be just 5 mana held up all day everyday.

Grasp of Darkness seems good. BTW I think 4 Avacyn is strictly wrong, in any deck.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 14, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Grasp of Darkness seems good. BTW I think 4 Avacyn is strictly wrong, in any deck.

I agree. 3 leaves a dead card in your hand often enough to notice. 4 would make it a lot worse. A 5 drop leaves plenty of draws and opportunities to find one where 4x is just silly.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

So I got the Horrrific Visions deck and a deck builder's toolkit. Both of which youtube said aren't the best value. Where do I go from here if I want to make a decent, low cost standard deck?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Injuryprone posted:

So I got the Horrrific Visions deck and a deck builder's toolkit. Both of which youtube said aren't the best value. Where do I go from here if I want to make a decent, low cost standard deck?

Buy singles of the cards you need for a specific deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Injuryprone posted:

Mono White or GW humans is pretty cheap...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper Watch this link over the next few weeks. It is kind of a mess right now, but the point is to look at decks you find interesting that also come in your price range.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

This is what I have decided on this weekend.

http://deck.tk/8wHi0BtL

I kind of dislike that avancyn dies to lanquish, but a lot of playtesting it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Tokens + avancyn and avancyn being an extra creature removal is pretty insane. Forcing your opponent to play around her seems to put the deck in a place it wants to be. This deck shits on all the aggressive decks from the weekend. The midrange matchups also seem to be pretty lopsided. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a lot of this this weekend for the invitational.

It also seems strange the decend upon the sinful also playtested really well with this deck. If I was more confident I wasn't going to see any ojutai's this weekend it would have replaced the planars out of the board with it. Dead weight and a few evloving wilds makes this card pretty busted in the current meta. In certain matchups it was a stonger finisher than Sorin. Just didn't get enough time in before this weekend though.

W/B is the new Abzan two weeks into the new standard

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sickening posted:

Already 3 in the 75, that is enough. Hell it might be too much. Ruinous path is probably a better card than putting anymore than 2 unmaking int he 75 but it is what I have decided on being so early in the season.

That's fair, I missed the one in the sideboard. I'm just wondering how much always watching/cryptolith rites will be showing up and having a way to deal with them seems good (or comedy goggles).

Also how has dead weight been in testing? I've not played with it but it seems really limited in use, especially with all the 2/3s running around. Although I guess that at least neuters them from attacking.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

alansmithee posted:

That's fair, I missed the one in the sideboard. I'm just wondering how much always watching/cryptolith rites will be showing up and having a way to deal with them seems good (or comedy goggles).

Also how has dead weight been in testing? I've not played with it but it seems really limited in use, especially with all the 2/3s running around. Although I guess that at least neuters them from attacking.

That is a good question. Dead weight makes the curve work better and is one of the best cards against the humans menace. It helps if you need to go two turns in a row with a tapped land. I don't mind putting it on a 2/3 , even in decks with d-command. Whatever stalls the board long enough to take control.

It will probably be dropped when the meta slows down more.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sickening posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper Watch this link over the next few weeks. It is kind of a mess right now, but the point is to look at decks you find interesting that also come in your price range.

Thanks!!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here is a $20 Standard deck that got 3rd in a day 0 IQ
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/399751#paper

and it has Weapons Trainer

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

More importantly, 4 Bone Saws.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm playing a sweet black white deck that consistently gets blown out by a blue white boumce brew. Rip.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Here is a $20 Standard deck that got 3rd in a day 0 IQ
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/399751#paper

and it has Weapons Trainer

I feel the 10 card sideboard is pretty bold too

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

should've run with 7 bonesaws

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Weapons Trainer seems like a fine card. It's a 3/2 for 2 with a lord effect and two relevant creature types.

It's the full playset of mediocre five drops in an aggro deck that makes my eyebrows wiggle.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
A good article.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-history-art-of-darkness-with-jesper-myrfors

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Voyager I posted:

Weapons Trainer seems like a fine card. It's a 3/2 for 2 with a lord effect and two relevant creature types.

It's the full playset of mediocre five drops in an aggro deck that makes my eyebrows wiggle.

Because your team of double striking, life linking, menacing, suited up killers is how you win.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GoutPatrol posted:

Because your team of double striking, life linking, menacing, suited up killers is how you win.

Right, but the issue is that it's an otherwise fairly aggressive curveout deck that can already give its team first strike which then jams in a full quartet of five drops at the top of its mana curve. You won't be able to cast them early on and if you get two of them stuck in your first ten cards or so you probably lose the game.

It's probably be better of with Bushwhackers to close out the games, and maybe another Firemantle Mage because its effect is pretty relevant. Lantern Scouts can go to the sideboard for aggro mirrors since this deck won't care about its life total most of the time.

Like really how the hell do you put four Bonesaws in a deck and then not put in four Bushwhackers.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 15, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

have fun with 4xresolute blademaster when you get stuck on 3-4 lands for multiple turns in your 22 land deck, or your opponent plays removal spells and you only have like 1 guy when you get to 5 mana, or getting languished on 4/flaying tendrilsed on 3

this deck is doing a couple of powerful/interesting things but none of those are 4xresolute blademaster

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 15, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

have fun with resolute with 4xresolute blademaster when you get stuck on 3-4 lands for multiple turns in your 22 land deck, or your opponent plays removal spells and you only have like 1 guy when you get to 5 mana, or getting languished on 4/flaying tendrilsed on 3

this deck is doing a couple of powerful/interesting things but none of those are 4xresolute blademaster

Buy Elyv it got 3rd in a tournament so it must be correct! :goonsay:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

have fun with 4xresolute blademaster when you get stuck on 3-4 lands for multiple turns in your 22 land deck, or your opponent plays removal spells and you only have like 1 guy when you get to 5 mana, or getting languished on 4/flaying tendrilsed on 3

It's there for the same reason overrun would show up in budget green aggro decks.

Considering the deck is $20 I'm curious as to what you would seap in at that price point to push through to the finish instead.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Reckless Bushwhacker is the obvious answer, but I'd also settle for literally anything an aggro deck could reliably cast before turn seven or not running four of them.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I posted about a bunch of xwing stuff I have for sale in the xwing thread. I only mention it because there's a pretty good amount of crossover.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just feel that $20 deck scoops the first time it sees a languish, it just looks like it really needs some type of heavy hitter as an anchor

e: actually sideboard in a few eerie interludes that should help it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You're already playing Forge and Ally Encampment, time for Warping Wail's time to shine!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
get your bonesaws while you can, they've already doubled in price thanks to speculators

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

You're already playing Forge and Ally Encampment, time for Warping Wail's time to shine!

it doesn't actually run forges, maybe once you learn the value of your life points you can start t8ing competitive events as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Reckless Bushwhacker is the obvious answer, but I'd also settle for literally anything an aggro deck could reliably cast before turn seven or not running four of them.

I'm playing Reckless Bushwacker in modern. It's great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, in addition to being a powerful card Bushwacker has some natural synergy in that deck due to the Bonesaw interaction and it being an Ally.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Pontius Pilate posted:

Speaking of (paper) formats that got hot and then disappeared my friends and I finally put together some (paper) pauper decks and, yeah, this format is great. Buying a deck for $20 isn't bad either. I got u delver and they got b control and acid trip--what should my next deck be? I like tempo, combo, aggro, control, midrange in about that order. I know one of them is also planning on elves so outside of the decks we already have or will have sell me on your fav pauper deck.

This is a couple pages back but I've recently moved from RUG Tron to a Jeskai Metalcraft list that's a lot of fun to me. Lots of neat little plays in it with all the effects that bounce permanents / artifacts and your Wellsprings/Prophetic Prims/Mulldrifter. Plus the ability to randomly burn the gently caress outta someone once your Galvanic Blasts are turned on, which is trivially easy most games. Having access to Journey to Nowhere is great too for Angler/Crusher/Fangren Maurader and the like.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

I'm playing Reckless Bushwacker in modern. It's great.

In what sort of deck? I've been meaning to pick a few up for my Goblins list.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

In what sort of deck? I've been meaning to pick a few up for my Goblins list.

Like a creature heavy Zoo/Burn deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sullivan is commentating! :sotw:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This isn't constructed viable, is it?

Were big dumb walls (that don't cantrip) ever seriously playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

This isn't constructed viable, is it?

Were big dumb walls (that don't cantrip) ever seriously playable?

It's tech against Prowler's Helm.

In the wrong standard.

• Locked thread