Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Where the hell does skim milk cost twice the price of 2%? Every store I shop at has all the milks of the same brand at the same price, usually a very cheap price because most grocery stores use it as a loss leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I start off with cream #foodhax #homeopathy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Where the hell does skim milk cost twice the price of 2%? Every store I shop at has all the milks of the same brand at the same price, usually a very cheap price because most grocery stores use it as a loss leader.

No, the stupid hack is saying that if you take a litre of 2% milk and dilute it with a litre of water, you now have 2 litres of 1% milk for the price of 1 litre.

Which doesn't work of course, because you've also diluted the protein, calcium and . . . other stuff in the milk, not just the fat content. Which is why it's a stupid hack, not a genius hack.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

No, the stupid hack is saying that if you take a litre of 2% milk and dilute it with a litre of water, you now have 2 litres of 1% milk for the price of 1 litre.

Which doesn't work of course, because you've also diluted the protein, calcium and . . . other stuff in the milk, not just the fat content. Which is why it's a stupid hack, not a genius hack.

That's not how milk works! :argh:

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
What IS milk? We may never know.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

In Canada (at least the provinces I've lived in) lower fat milk is cheaper than higher fat milk, even within a single brand. Prices usually go: homo < 2% < 1% < skim

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Goosed it. posted:

In Canada (at least the provinces I've lived in) lower fat milk is cheaper than higher fat milk, even within a single brand. Prices usually go: homo < 2% < 1% < skim

Same but no homo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Planet Piss posted:

What IS milk? We may never know.

Ipso facto dolor si amet benedicto cucumbo, milk is a type of birb!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Same but no homo

gently caress that ,Homo milk can't be beat! :colbert:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ipso facto dolor si amet benedicto cucumbo, milk is a type of birb!

Are you having a stroke

Should I call the cops?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

gently caress that ,Homo milk can't be beat! :colbert:

Beat off, maybe.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That lifehack is an abomination in the eyes of God, much like skim milk. It's a good lifehack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like how one of the ingredients is just "glue", not a particular sort of glue. Superglue? PVA? Clag? Sure, whatever.

Len posted:

The homemade playdough is actually a pretty fun thing to do with kids. They have more fun making it and then playing with it than just opening a container.
That's not how you make play dough though.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

https://www.facebook.com/954249651327636/videos/1016189921800275/

I guess this is a survival tip, if you get trapped in a lemon and nail factory.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

I like how one of the ingredients is just "glue", not a particular sort of glue. Superglue? PVA? Clag? Sure, whatever.

Elmer's Glue + borax is a legit cheap easy way of making tons of Gak for kids, and when it dries up you can just toss it and make more. :iia:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/gak-attack/

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Vacation, old cabin, want to barbecue, out of matches, the store was 20 miles back and you already bought everything to make dinner. So what do you do? Rip the wiring out of the walls and hack the poo poo out of the lemon, walla

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Maw posted:

https://www.facebook.com/954249651327636/videos/1016189921800275/

I guess this is a survival tip, if you get trapped in a lemon and nail factory.

#CaveJohnsonHax

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Humerus posted:

#CaveJohnsonHax

Not combustible? Not good enough. Try harder, science guys!

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
For those occasions when you need to make a fire and all you got is a lemon, nails and copper wiring. If I had a nickel for every time that happened to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UGpKbvmCLw

Sunglasses as a stand for your tablet actually works pretty well.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bonus dapper 'stache for your actors of choice.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Guy Mann posted:

Elmer's Glue + borax is a legit cheap easy way of making tons of Gak for kids, and when it dries up you can just toss it and make more. :iia:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/gak-attack/

yeah I used to make that poo poo all the time when I was a kid, it owned

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Isn't borax poisonous?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

cheerfullydrab posted:

Isn't borax poisonous?

Wiki says that

quote:

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, according to one study, is not acutely toxic.[30] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats,[31] meaning that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The lethal dose is not necessarily the same for humans. On pesticide information websites it is listed as a non-lethal compound and of no hazardous concerns.[32]

First registered in 1946 by the EPA as an insecticide with various restrictions, all restrictions were removed in February 1986 due to the low toxicity of Borax, as published in two EPA documents relating to boric acid and borax.[33][34]

Although it cited inconclusive data, a re-evaluation in 2006 by the EPA still found that "There were no signs of toxicity observed during the study and no evidence of cytotoxicity to the target organ."[35]
it does go on to tell you not to eat it while pregnant though

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 16, 2016

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Karate Bastard posted:

I start off with cream #foodhax #homeopathy

But a homeopathic preparation of cream will be like super-ultra-creamy! The more you dilute it the more powerful it becomes. Are you crazy?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Meowjesty posted:

Are you having a stroke

Should I call the cops?

I love the idea that in a medical emergency, your first instinct is the police, not the hospital.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

cash crab posted:

I love the idea that in a medical emergency, your first instinct is the police, not the hospital.

Sometimes it's more humane to have a person put down.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Noctone posted:

Sometimes it's more humane to have a person put down.

That only works if the patient is black.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stoatbringer posted:

But a homeopathic preparation of cream will be like super-ultra-creamy! The more you dilute it the more powerful it becomes. Are you crazy?

It is not for the faint of heart :kamina:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You must not take action when pregnant (or interact provably with our products) did you not know this?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Apr 17, 2016

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Wiki says that

And after the reaction is finished, all the borax is used crosslinking the polymers. There should be little to no free borax left.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Palpek posted:

They are being prosecuted and there's an ongoing trial atm. Another nice touch in the article is that it's calling out the child autopsy's credibility because it has 'medical examiner's opinion' written on it and as we all know it's just like an opinion, man. Also it seems the parents refused to take the child to a doctor but did take him to a...naturopath. The child was given maple syrup against meningitis and empyema.
If it wasn't so heartbreaking it could almost read as a story from The Onion: Dipshit Canadian Couple Claims Maple Syrup Cures Disease

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tiggum posted:

That's not how you make play dough though.

I would use JB Weld, CA, MC, in equal parts and add the other ingredients. Then add CTC and Trich to thin it to a usable consistency. I would suggest gloves.

Please don't do this!!!

Any chemist here that can tell me what would happen? I remember that Trichloroethylene mixed with Methylene Chloride 1:1 does terrible things but as to the rest, I've never let touch each-other and am afraid to imagine the hell that would occur.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Taser, defibrillator, let's not split hairs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

quote:

The bottom of your feet are powerful and direct access points to internal organs in your body through what is known as meridians in Chinese medicine. These meridians are pathways to each organ with your body. Some people say that meridians do not exist within the body or at the bottom of the feet. For those that understand Chinese medicine you may know that the meridian system is very closely correlated with the nervous system.

If you believe you have nerves and a nervous system, you believe you have meridians too, it’s basically the same thing when you interpret it and look at where the meridians are within the body.

The bottom of the feet have many different nerve endings, approximately 7,000 (basically meridians) that directly link to different organs within the body. They are very powerful electrical circuits within the body and are often dormant because we wear shoes and don’t get accupuncture done to help the meridians or nerves in any way. This is why I recommend walking outside barefoot! To stimulate those meridians on the bottom of your feet as well as to ground yourself with the earth’s negative ion field.

One of the coolest ways to open up these electrical pathways (meridians) and to help purify your internal organs without doing anything internal (diet related) is to cut up onions or garlic and put them in your socks (at the bottom part of your feet) while sleeping.

Onions and garlic are known air purifiers and when applied to the skin topically they kill germs and bacteria but also the phosphoric acid (the substance from onions that makes you cry when you cut them open) enters the bloodstream it helps to purify the blood and kill any bacteria or germs that may be festering waiting to give you the flu.

So it’s fairly simple, here are the two steps to purify your blood, and kill germs and bacteria.

Step 1: Cut Up Organic Onions Into Slices (White or Red Onions)
You’ll want to use organic onions because they will be free of pesticides and other chemicals you don’t want sitting on your feet and entering your bloodstream all night. You’ll just want to cut the onions into flat slices so that they can be applied to the bottom of your entire foot (like a platform) so the bottom of your feet are immersed with onion while you sleep.

Step 2: Put The Onions In Your Sock Under Your Foot (on the bottom) And Sleep!
As you sleep the natural healing powers of the onion will go to work through your skin (trans-dermal application) purifying your blood and killing bacteria and germs as well as absorbing toxins! It will also help to purify the air in your room.
Meridians did 9/11

Palpek has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wearing shoes is bad because you can't air your feet meridians, but wearing socks with onions in them to bed is good?

Why not just eat the onion rather than trying to absorb its essence through your skin? That's why we have a whole complex digestive system.

Enfys has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Apr 19, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What if you're fat, diabetic and lack feet? Organ failure imminent? That why the kidneys go? They work too hard purifying the body because the feet can't do it?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

What if you're fat, diabetic and lack feet?

Fill a very large duvet cover with chopped onions and sleep inside it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Which was the style at the time.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I remembered hearing that rubbing garlic or onion on your feet can leech the aromatics and give you garlic/onion breath, but trying to find a primary resource for that has led to a lot of "STUDIES HAVE SHOWN! THEY SAY! ONE WEIRD TRICK TO TASTE GARLIC WITHOUT EATING IT!" It's on several mom blogs as proof that everything we put on our skin circulates so that's why deodorant is evil.

Guess it's time to buy some Vidalias for research purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:proof: