Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Prince John posted:

I'd like to propose dethroning Monster Munch as the UKMT crisp of choice. They're clearly resting on their laurels if they think that this counts as a full pack of crisps:

i've had someone insist i need to eat brannigans smoked ham and pickle crisps recently and they're a top crisp. thick cut and they go heavy on the flavouring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jose posted:

i've had someone insist i need to eat brannigans smoked ham and pickle crisps recently and they're a top crisp. thick cut and they go heavy on the flavouring

their steak and mustard ones are pretty good too

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
brannigans mustard is best chip

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Implied Consent posted:

What's a Lib Dem?

Something vaguely wishy-washy (or is it flippy-floppy? airey-fairey? idk) that would be more appropriately termed a Limp Dem.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
All goons join us in #ukgoons (synirc) for Question Time in an hour. Tonight it's in Doncaster with [Tory poo poo] Daniel Hannan MEP, shadow work and pensions secretary Owen Smith, Westminster leader of the SNP Angus Robertson, Green Party peer Baroness Jones and [Tory poo poo] Dia Chakravarty of the TaxPayers' Alliance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JFairfax posted:

brannigans mustard is best chip

Well yeehaw

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jose posted:

They are beautiful crisps.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Another one of those beautiful laws that make already-illegal things illegal.

I wrote a long post about the stupidity of the Terrorism Act and the forums went down before I could post it. Coincidence...?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm quite fond of Seabrook's crisps, but they're quite hard to get hold of sometimes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Guardian view on Mr Corbyn’s newfound enthusiasm for Europe: a mark of more mature leadership

quote:

To leave, Mr Corbyn warned, would gratify those who would strip away employment rights and pursue an aggressive market free-for-all that could accelerate the hollowing out of British industry. Arguments along those lines have been central to the left defence of Europe for a generation. Mr Corbyn made a case not so different from the one that Jacques Delors, as president of the European commission, used in 1988 with an address to the TUC that was credited with single-handedly shifting opinion in previously hostile British trade unions.

If the Labour leader has been slower than some of his comrades to accept that logic, it is perhaps because he has not, until recently, had to confront the straight in/out dilemma. His past criticism of European institutions, while fierce, never reached explicit conviction that Britain would be better off quitting the project altogether. So it is not wholly inconsistent – not as much as the Brexit campaigners make out – for Mr Corbyn to now declare, given the forced choice before him, that the best path is indeed to “remain and reform”.

Mr Corbyn’s decision to ally himself wholeheartedly with that venture may run counter to the tone of some of his previous comments, but that should not bring his motive into question. It speaks to a healthy evolution from the politics of sideline commentary and complaint to the ranks of national leadership.
It's in the Guardian, but it sounds... not bad for Corbyn?? Almost un-bad, or anti-bad... hm, I'm sure there's a word for this.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ddraig posted:

I'm quite fond of Seabrook's crisps, but they're quite hard to get hold of sometimes.

Me too, the beefy ones. Poundshops are your friend. Also, QT now, with the only people who still care about us, the tax payers alliance.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

The Guardian view on Mr Corbyn’s newfound enthusiasm for Europe: a mark of more mature leadership
It's in the Guardian, but it sounds... not bad for Corbyn?? Almost un-bad, or anti-bad... hm, I'm sure there's a word for this.

Since the Guardian is wrong about everything, this might actually be bad for Corbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Embracing my point of view is the mark of Mature leadership

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wrote a long post about the stupidity of the Terrorism Act and the forums went down before I could post it. Coincidence...?
Got a summary?

Other than "Blair's terror policy was sufficiently awful that it created an entire generation of one time Lib Dem voters." :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Got a summary?

Other than "Blair's terror policy was sufficiently awful that it created an entire generation of one time Lib Dem voters." :v:

Pretty much that, yeah.

Other news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36044157

quote:

First-time buyers in London will need to earn £106,000 to buy a home in 2020, the charity Shelter has predicted.

London buyers will also need a deposit of £138,000 to buy a typical home which it calculates will then be worth £558,000.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Martin Kettle broke ranks to outright praise him:

quote:

Meanwhile the feebleness belongs to David Cameron. He called this referendum. He always knew he would be campaigning to stay in Europe. But he did little to prepare the ground and has given practically no thought to the alliances that will be required to ensure a remain win. A reckless budget and an inept response to the Panama Papers means that Cameron comes to the campaign starting line like an athlete lining up for the race of his life after a night on the tiles.

All of which adds up to the extraordinary truth that, for once, Cameron desperately needed Corbyn to rise to the occasion. Labour votes will be crucial on 23 June, and until now Corbyn has allowed the idea to get around that he is not massively bothered by the outcome of the referendum. That made Thursday a speak-for-England moment for a Labour leader who is an instinctive sectarian – yet it was one that he seized.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I can't believe that the first half of Question Time has been spun into a dissection of Corbyn's personal views rather than a discussion on the actual issues of Europe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TACD posted:

Of course, the right wing papers have been gleefully crowing about how he's always been Eurosceptic and how embarassing his speech was and whatnot. So this IS bad for Corbyn...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

YES. YES IT IS A COINCIDENCE HI GCHQ.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Prince John posted:

I can't believe that the first half of Question Time has been spun into a dissection of Corbyn's personal views rather than a discussion on the actual issues of Europe.

Really?

E: Scary old lady on QT with... interestingly applied make up (may be a clown) snarling 'I want my country back'

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 14, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Prince John posted:

I'd like to propose dethroning Monster Munch as the UKMT crisp of choice

Co-operative Salt and Vinegar

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

You need to lower your expectations of QT it is poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prince John posted:

Do you not remember the country we live in or something?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

^^ I'm very bad at constantly giving people the benefit of the doubt. :(

Trickjaw posted:

E: Scary old lady on QT with... interestingly applied make up (may be a clown) snarling 'I want my country back'

I was really hoping Angus Robertson would reply to David saying "well, the lady didn't actually make a coherent point."

Daniel Hannan is way too loving slick at this; very dangerous man for the pro-EU camp.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

It is fine. In that London is being turned into a "city upon a hill". A giant economically walled off city for the elite while the area around it, in this case the entire rest of the country, is slowly drained of wealth and resources. I don't think any of this is an accident.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

It is fine. In that London is being turned into a "city upon a hill". A giant economically walled off city for the elite while the area around it, in this case the entire rest of the country, is slowly drained of wealth and resources. I don't think any of this is an accident.

And we can be its kings. Or better than kings. Gods.

\

Gideon

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Prince John posted:

Daniel Hannan is way too loving slick at this; very dangerous man for the pro-EU camp.

He has been at it for years. He was widely thought to be one of the splitters to UKIP, that Nige mooted before the GE. Also, I think fans said about double taxation, so he wins this weeks bingo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The inability of anyone present to make the basic case for inheritance tax is utterly infuriating.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

josh04 posted:

The inability of anyone present to make the basic case for inheritance tax is utterly infuriating.

Especially Jenny Jones, who as far as I am concerned is rapidly becoming a liability to the Green Party.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Go and loving smack him big shouty lady. I'm behind you.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

josh04 posted:

Finally, some kid has just done that.

I was just fuming at the incompetence. They let Taxpayers Alliance mouthpiece spout the "number of people paying it has quadrupled", but nobody points out that it's a tiny absolute number of people.

They let someone give a textbook "austerity is necessary with the deficit Labour left us" argument, and neither the Green, SNP or Labour politician is able to point out that the deficit is much larger now. Pretty shoddy stuff.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Co-operative Salt and Vinegar

Frazzles or Nice'n'Spicey Nik-Naks... or go home

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Happy Manchester United Fans Shitpost About Heysel Day, Comrades!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pissflaps, noted computer user Liz Kendall is on this week. She just crossed her legs and i think she may not be wearing any drawers, proving her superior to Corbyn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Pissflaps, noted computer user Liz Kendall is on this week

She's on every week, which wouldn't be so bad if she didn't basically show that Labour's blairite darling is as verbally incompetent as Diane Abbott, and worse because she also acts like a teenager trying to pretend they're over 18 so they can get into the club but not quite pulling off the fully-convincing bit.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TACD posted:

To be honest, I've noticed recently that the press coverage of Corbyn seems to have got better. I mean, the Mail and the like will keep up their assault regardless but they'd do the same for most labour leaders. But at least on places like the Guardian and BBC, corbyn as leader of the opposition seems to have basically become the status quo. I definitely see his responses to various things given more space and not always joined with some comment along the lines of 'what a loony leftie!!!'. It's hardly great but definitely improved.

II think it's partly because the budget, brewing tory civil war and panama papers have given him so much ammo to use.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

She's on every week, which wouldn't be so bad if she didn't basically show that Labour's blairite darling is as verbally incompetent as Diane Abbott, and worse because she also acts like a teenager trying to pretend they're over 18 so they can get into the club but not quite pulling off the fully-convincing bit.
This has given me a wonderful mental image of Dennis Skinner as the bouncer saying "It looks like it says 1992 on your Labour membership card. Tell me, what was Clause IV back then?" followed by her incomprehensible stammering.

And also made me realize that people born in 1992 have been able to legally drink for over 5 years now. :corsair:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

UrbicaMortis posted:

To be honest, I've noticed recently that the press coverage of Corbyn seems to have got better. I mean, the Mail and the like will keep up their assault regardless but they'd do the same for most labour leaders. But at least on places like the Guardian and BBC, corbyn as leader of the opposition seems to have basically become the status quo. I definitely see his responses to various things given more space and not always joined with some comment along the lines of 'what a loony leftie!!!'. It's hardly great but definitely improved.

II think it's partly because the budget, brewing tory civil war and panama papers have given him so much ammo to use.

There's a few more points to consider: the first is that the Blairite heir apparent, Dan Jarvis, had no-one salute when the Guardian ran his candidacy up the flagpole. The second is that both his personal and Labours numbers have improved dramatically in the last few months. The third is that he has been scoring victories, including anti-austerity language that Corbyn had been pushing appearing in IDS's resignation letter.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

UrbicaMortis posted:

I haven't heard "Unelectable" for ages. I think everyone's just got used to the idea that he can actually be elected.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's pretty obvious the party's not going to get rid of him too. His enemies in the party have grown quiet so there's not a lot of material to work with. In the good old days, Labour MPs were slagging him off on Twitter every half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Paxman posted:

It's pretty obvious the party's not going to get rid of him too. His enemies in the party have grown quiet so there's not a lot of material to work with. In the good old days, Labour MPs were slagging him off on Twitter every half an hour.

The real turning point was when Woodcock stuck his head above the parapet with his Mirror article and everyone basically ignored him.

• Locked thread