Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's great when he does stuff with James Rolfe because when Mike is there you can just feel waves of hatred for Doug Walker coming off of Mike, and James is totally oblivious to all of it.

Is this projection or an actual thing? I kinda want to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E68f29PXPU4

A new Wrestling with Wregret video this time on the 2004 season of Tough Enough. It was such a clusterfuck of a season and the only thing that came out of it (besides Ryback & the Miz) was that Puder got the poo poo stiffed out of him at the 2005 Royal Rumble. Seriously he legit got the poo poo beaten out of him but at least he got to put Kurt Angle in a legit kimura.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Arcsquad12 posted:

EDIT EDIT: I think I've figured out why I hate Doug's crossover reviews so much. He basically lords over whoever he's reviewing alongside and smashes their perspectives on the film by bullying them onscreen. Sure, it might be an act, but considering what we know about Doug, I'm certain a lot of this probably also happened during the script writing. Doug is not a guest star on someone else's show, he takes over the show for the episode and turns it into another loving NC episode.

Last time I heard anything about it, he rarely watches other reviewers work but he still writes the crossovers. This means he has to write what he thinks the other reviewer sounds like, but more often than not he likes playing Daffy Duck so he writes himself in as the straight-man to the other reviewer's foil. Regardless it comes off with a weird tone like the guest stars in the Scooby Doo Meets The 70's Celebrities show. At least that's what I think.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see whether Doug can manage on a pay platform. I'm inclined to think "no," but he's a lot more popular than I'd expect (or like) so...

I guess it depends on his viewers and whether, say, they're old enough to have a credit card. Five bux a month doesn't sound that major, if you get a lot of different stuff.

It could have been a really savvy move, five years ago, when TGWTG was the destination for internet comedy, but with so much talent gone and the format as a whole in decline, it just won't work. Five years ago Channel Awesome as a subscription service could have potentially paid for a few people's salaries, or provided the budget for actual original content, so long as they'd still syndicate the videos to YouTube after a month to avoid completely bleeding their mostly-underage audience. Of course, so far the only internet subscription services to actually prove viable are those which provide professionally-produced content. In 2011, would I have paid even $5 a month to see TGWTG videos a month early? Probably not.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Speed Racer is probably my favorite Wachowski film, though that's partially due to me watching The Matrix years later, once the tricks that it used were a lot less impressive.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Senerio posted:

Speed Racer is probably my favorite Wachowski film, though that's partially due to me watching The Matrix years later, once the tricks that it used were a lot less impressive.

Each time I watch Speed Racer the more I like it. It's such a bright and colorful film with a lot psychedelic effects during the races. Felt like a live action anime to be sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

watho posted:

Is this projection or an actual thing? I kinda want to see this.

Just watch some of their Monday-specific videos where Doug is the guest. After a few, Mike started "telecommuting" from his own basement via webcam for unspecified reasons. I can't be sure, but I don't think it's projection on my part. See for yourself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Each time I watch Speed Racer the more I like it. It's such a bright and colorful film with a lot psychedelic effects during the races. Felt like a live action anime to be sure.

I still remember when it came out there were people on message boards and what have you complaining that it wasn't dark like The Dark Knight because that's apparently what revivals should do - because fans who have stayed loyal from childhood to adulthood now "deserve edgier fare" or whatever. :shrug:

Maybe if it had come out a couple of years later it could have been more successful.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jimbot posted:

I've softened on this movie since I first saw it, but it's still a movie that gives me headaches when I see it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

No doubt about it, Speed Racer is a massive clusterfuck. But I still appreciate the fact that the Wachowski's tried as hard as they did.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Just watch some of their Monday-specific videos where Doug is the guest. After a few, Mike started "telecommuting" from his own basement via webcam for unspecified reasons. I can't be sure, but I don't think it's projection on my part. See for yourself.
They not in the basement, so it seems to me that James was probably in Chicago or elsewhere while Mike was still in PA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myQoRfVtYnY

I can't tell if Mike hates Doug, but he definitely gets on better with other guests. Mike did a long interview with Pat the NES Punk recently, talking about the minutiae of retro gaming.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Testekill posted:

No doubt about it, Speed Racer is a massive clusterfuck. But I still appreciate the fact that the Wachowski's tried as hard as they did.

If there's one thing you can say about the Wachowskis, it's that they make really stylish, weird movies. Jupiter Ascending, for instance, had a lot of interesting bits in there that I wouldn't expect anyone else to try. It just never gives you an opportunity to soak anything in because it just tries to do so much.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
JonTron has a new video up. It's not a review, but a rant about Blizzard shutting down the Nostalrius server for World of Warcraft. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzT8UzO1zGQ

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

JonTron has a new video up. It's not a review, but a rant about Blizzard shutting down the Nostalrius server for World of Warcraft. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzT8UzO1zGQ

He comes across as so bloody whiny in that I couldn't make it through the whole thing.

Like, I get the impression he wouldn't give a drat except that he played on that server.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mokinokaro posted:

so bloody whiny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzgPSjSFGgU

edited: because I don't want to be whiny about somebody being whiny about somebody else being whiny

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 14, 2016

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Oh no, Blizzard shut down people who stole their intellectual property and were using it without their permission, creating a direct competitor to their business! Those bastards! Seriously, everyone needs to shut the gently caress up about this, Nostralius was in the wrong, Blizzard was in the right, end of story.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Mischalaniouse posted:

Oh no, Blizzard shut down people who stole their intellectual property and were using it without their permission, creating a direct competitor to their business! Those bastards! Seriously, everyone needs to shut the gently caress up about this, Nostralius was in the wrong, Blizzard was in the right, end of story.

Clearly there's no competition because no one wants to play vanilla WoW. :downs:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5v12F0qdv4

oh

oh no

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Testekill posted:

So that Sage review was really just a Nostalgia Critic review in disguise, he seriously just dominates the entire review

Basically every NC crossover review

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Oh my god, thank you Bob https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTZbZw1JPQ

Cinema Sins has always bugged the poo poo out of me.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Two bad tastes that go worse together. Hooray!!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MrSlam posted:

Last time I heard anything about it, he rarely watches other reviewers work but he still writes the crossovers. This means he has to write what he thinks the other reviewer sounds like, but more often than not he likes playing Daffy Duck so he writes himself in as the straight-man to the other reviewer's foil. Regardless it comes off with a weird tone like the guest stars in the Scooby Doo Meets The 70's Celebrities show. At least that's what I think.

From what I've heard, usually the crossover video is on the channel of the person who writes and edits the crossover, in this case Bennett, and it's Bennett who is writing the Critic character in this video. And whatever input Doug might have had on the script, Bennett is suppose to be the one with final say on what goes in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMaestroso posted:

I have been waiting for this video for all my life. gently caress cinema sins and all of it's fans forever 100 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

I have been waiting for this video for all my life. gently caress cinema sins and all of it's fans forever 100 years.

If you want pain, watch Cinema Sins video on Roger Rabbit, where he fails to understand cartoon logic or lack thereof.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Okay you know, you're not under any actual compulsion to watch this. In fact, it would be better if you didn't since no one should support someone they ethically object to and hate.

I know goon hatecrushes are and continue to be a thing, but you actually do not need to watch this.

I'm going to happily ignore it and spend the rest of my life blissfully ignorant of what happens in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A palette cleanser. New Game Dungeon from Ross Scott.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

TheMaestroso posted:

Wish Bob the best. Bob is the best. Long live Bob.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Okay you know, you're not under any actual compulsion to watch this. In fact, it would be better if you didn't since no one should support someone they ethically object to and hate.

I know goon hatecrushes are and continue to be a thing, but you actually do not need to watch this.

I'm going to happily ignore it and spend the rest of my life blissfully ignorant of what happens in it.

But now that you have seen it, aren't you at least a little interested in seeing how bad it is?

Just for the record though, who of the two actually likes the movie?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asuron posted:

But now that you have seen it, aren't you at least a little interested in seeing how bad it is?

I'm gonna guess Doug liked it, because Joe's review was very divided. Besides, Doug loves dark edgy poo poo, remember his look at the Sam Raimi spider-man movies where he thought they'd be better if they told a darker story? He also likes Star Trek Nemesis. Boo this man and his poor taste in movies, kill the pig, bash him in, spill his blood!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: Derp, wrong thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Asuron posted:

No.

Not remotely.

I don't spend time supporting people I hate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mischalaniouse posted:

The people playing on Nostalrius were not giving Blizzard money otherwise, the people running Nostalrius weren't making fat cash running the server or even trying to, people have asked over and over if Blizzard would just run legacy servers and they either said no or basically laughed at the asker. There was no competition in there anywhere, by killing that server they did 100% nothing but come off as assholes flexing their lawyers for no reason other than to be assholes. Like I don't care about Jontron's video on a personal "Oh Jontron said something" level and if anything, yeah he came off as annoying more than anything in a bunch of it to me, but it was still a dickish move that's earned nothing but the bad reaction it deserves. "But they were in their right" still isn't and won't ever be a good reason for huge multi-billionaires to poo poo on little people. I know I know fate of the middle east and it's less on the internet critic bit of the situation, but come on now.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 15, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

TheMaestroso posted:

I've never seen any Cinema Sins videos until now and jesus christ, it's just minutes upon minutes of painfully unfunny bon mots. I can't believe people watch it.

This video is really good, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Asuron posted:

Why would anybody be interested in this?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dijon du jour posted:

I've never seen any Cinema Sins videos until now and jesus christ, it's just minutes upon minutes of painfully unfunny bon mots. I can't believe people watch it.

This video is really good, though.

Cinema Sins is what happens when you think just listing off things you don't understand is 'critique'. It's so bad that, even making fun of poo poo movies like Transformers they do stuff like "HOW DID A SPACE ROBOT GET TO AMERICA SO FAST?!" Like poo poo man, I dunno it's a goddamn Transformers movie.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A Game Dungeon episode about RAMA? :swoon:

I actually wanted to LP this game, but I think Ross covered most of the real interesting points about it. Between this and the episodes on Arcade America and Boppin' , I think he's set out to cover every weird, obscure game that I loved when I was a kid.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Cinema Sins was OK when it started up. Yes, his videos were nit-picky non-criticism, but unlike your standard TGWTG riff-"review" they were concise. None of them ran longer than 3 minutes. I can see why they took off.

But as he's gone on the videos have gotten longer and longer and the writing sloppier and sloppier. Every so often YouTube'll drop something like his 45 minute Transformers 2 breakdown into my recommended videos, and I'll wonder why the gently caress people are still watching him. At least, bloated as the are, any given Nostalgia Critic episode contains the "original" spectacle of Doug mugging for all he's worth. When you watch an Everything Wrong With <A Bad Movie> video, you're just watching 25-45 minutes of footage from a poo poo film.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 15, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only "Everything Wrong with <Movie>" videos I've ever seen are of movies I've totally hated and even then I think I spent half the time defending the goddamn movies in my head.

Just give me my shallow, petty catharsis you goddamn hack, how hard is it to nitpick Twilight?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's hard when you're a lazy hack editor appealing to illiterate, self important grade schoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Did the same thing happen to the "How X movie should have ended" channel. I used to see it for movies with more debated endings, now it felt like they did it to every current movie that came out.

• Locked thread