Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Kinda want to see this with the dies flipped so they are facing each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Waffleman_ posted:

Another logo reveal

As long as there's hokey acting, action, and suspiciously dubbed voices, I'm sure it'll be entertaining in some way.
It's making me feel loving ancient :corsair:
I remember everyone in my school going mental trying to see the original Power Rangers movie. Haven't seen it in literal years, and I'm guessing it doesn't hold up well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Palpek posted:

A Kanye West quote made it into this poster:

gently caress Kanye West.

Mike Motherfucking Patton.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pesky Splinter posted:

I remember everyone in my school going mental trying to see the original Power Rangers movie. Haven't seen it in literal years, and I'm guessing it doesn't hold up well.

If nothing else the soundtrack is fantastically 90s. And as someone with no nostalgic attachment to Power Rangers who didn't see it until years later it has enough camp and cheese to stand on itself, aside from the climax being awful 90s CGI instead of people in costumes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Palpek posted:

I hope it's more like Michael Bay's Power Rangers.

Why. Why would you want that. That's what they did with GI Joe and it was the most forgettable, un-entertaining thing ever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I suspect it's going to be man of steel but with unbelievably stupid names and costumes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It'll be closer to Pacific than anything else.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not many superhero movies have tried for that Man of Steel "epic comic book" feel (except BvS obviously) so I don't know why a Power Rangers movie would do that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They can't really take it too seriously because the villain is named Rita Repulsa and is played by predominately comedic actress Elizabeth Banks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just thought it would be funny if it ended with them stomping rita repulsa to death while they all cry

(did you know that the reason rita started a war in zyuranger was that she sold her soul to satan in a pact to kill all the dinosaurs after a dinosaur killed her son? that should be in the movie too)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

gently caress Kanye West.

Mike Motherfucking Patton.

Yeah, but they're all brought low by sharing space with loving Lenny Kravitz.

Don Cheadle's come a long way since Colors.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Acne Rain posted:

I just thought it would be funny if it ended with them stomping rita repulsa to death while they all cry

(did you know that the reason rita started a war in zyuranger was that she sold her soul to satan in a pact to kill all the dinosaurs after a dinosaur killed her son? that should be in the movie too)

The original Japanese story is 1000 times more insane then what we got. If I have been told correctly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

I haven't watched a Spiderman story since Tobey's S2 but it seems to me that rebooting it once was ridiculous, doing it again now is desperate.

Then again, nothing Sony does surprises me at the moment.

I'd agree if it weren't for the explicit purpose of putting Spidey into the MCU. That makes it a much more reasonable decision.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think that the last thing anyone in the world wants is another Spider-Man origin story. If they do any sort of origin at all for Spidey then I'm out.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that the last thing anyone in the world wants is another Spider-Man origin story. If they do any sort of origin at all for Spidey then I'm out.

As bad as the Avengers movies are (they're really bad) I think the people behind this stuff are smart enough to know that everyone knows Spider-Man's whole deal at this point and there'll be a brief scene of Tony Stark recruiting Peter Parker from his high school all "we've been watching you" or whatever

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Why. Why would you want that. That's what they did with GI Joe and it was the most forgettable, un-entertaining thing ever.
Because the only thing that was entertaining about MB's TMNT was fans getting angry at it and I won't go watch Power Rangers myself as it wasn't really part of my childhood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Palpek posted:

Because the only thing that was entertaining about MB's TMNT was fans getting angry at it and I won't go watch Power Rangers myself as it wasn't really part of my childhood.

If you want to see nerds get angry at poo poo you don't need a bad movie, just hang out in BSS sometime.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway more posters of shows based on comic books:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've said quite a few times they won't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

They've said quite a few times they won't.

Well, apparently they are doing an Incredible Hulk style opening montage of it. But, some of the film is dedicated to the idea that this Peter wants to be an hero because Uncle Ben and himself witnessed the Battle of New York when Peter was really young. This is also how MJ's parents died.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

The original Japanese story is 1000 times more insane then what we got. If I have been told correctly.

You go into something like Zyuranger expecting it to be as corny and goofy as the Power Rangers show that Saban turned it into for American kids.

By the time the moon witch Bandora is bleeding from the eyes multiple hours into her spell to resurrect Satan using the souls of a dozen innocent children that she has trapped inside a monolith that looks like something out of Hellraiser, and then Satan actually shows up and melds itself into the stomach of a zombie Frankenstein (that, yes, they fight as a regular Frankenstein first - when it seems defeated, it tears it's skin off and becomes a Zombiestein) like an evil Kuato, you're finding yourself saying for the thousandth time "I completely understand why this didn't come over in any form even close to resembling this, but oh my god I loving hate that it didn't".

It's the most ridiculous loving thing but it is so wholeheartedly nuts and gung-ho about it that it makes Power Rangers look like the most cynical cash-in. Impressive, since there's at least five times every Zyuranger episode (and that's not an embellishment, by the way) that you find yourself saying "that's a random new thing that was clearly a toy they were putting on shelves that week".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So is this Power Rangers movie the first installment of the Saban cinematic universe? :shepface:

Edit: VvV A zillion Power Rangers series, VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Beetleborgs. It would be glorious repurposed sentai clusterfuck.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 15, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mierenneuker posted:

So is this Power Rangers movie the first installment of the Saban cinematic universe? :shepface:

I don't even remember what else is part of that but why the gently caress not.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Do the large horizontal movie posters have a special name? I like using 1950 era monster movie posters as backgrounds and it'd be helpful to be able to more specifically search for the wider ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: VvV A zillion Power Rangers series, VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Beetleborgs. It would be glorious repurposed sentai clusterfuck.

We can finally have Jay Leno as Flabber!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Violator posted:

Do the large horizontal movie posters have a special name? I like using 1950 era monster movie posters as backgrounds and it'd be helpful to be able to more specifically search for the wider ones.

They're generally referred to as quads.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are tons of names for different sizes. One sheet, character banners, 30 sheet, 96 sheet, horizontal, extreme horizontal, extreme vertical, bus shelter, Morris columns, digital billboard, living one sheet, vertical digital video, then you've got standees, mobiles, archways, outdoor. The list goes on.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well all I know is that I loving hate the Power Rangers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Violator posted:

Movie Poster Shop has a nice collection of half-sheet posters for sale that I occasionally pull backgrounds from.

Poster:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm disappointed Spidey's not in the Iron Spider outfit, tbh.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

Don't forget Los Luchadores. I don't know if anyone actually saw that, but I worked on it.

At the time, Saban and Fox were fighting over a deal to sell the Fox Family Channel back to Fox proper. Hasbro caught wind of shenanigans and basically said "you guys can't get your poo poo together so we're not making the toys" and we got cancelled around episode 15. Saban eventually sold the channel to ABC for something like 1.5 billion and it eventually became the Disney Channel we all know and love today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fox Family is actually Freeform now, formerly ABC Family. Also known as The 700 Club channel.

The Disney Channel has always just been the Disney Channel.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Fox Family is actually Freeform now, formerly ABC Family. Also known as The 700 Club channel.

The Disney Channel has always just been the Disney Channel.

Oh, I have my info wrong, then. It changed to the ABC Family Channel shortly after the show was cancelled so I just assumed it was what eventually became the Disney Channel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were very similar for a while anyway, people always just referred to shows on both as Disney Channel shows. Freeform has been branching out into stuff for adults and older teens now though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dillbag posted:

Don't forget Los Luchadores. I don't know if anyone actually saw that, but I worked on it.

At the time, Saban and Fox were fighting over a deal to sell the Fox Family Channel back to Fox proper. Hasbro caught wind of shenanigans and basically said "you guys can't get your poo poo together so we're not making the toys" and we got cancelled around episode 15. Saban eventually sold the channel to ABC for something like 1.5 billion and it eventually became the Disney Channel we all know and love today.

Saban sold the channel for way more than that, 5.2 billion. You have to read DisneyWar for the full story, but the acquisition was doomed from the start for a dozen reasons. It took until Michael Eisner was out for ABC to find something to do with it. To give the biggest example, Eisner wanted to buy it to re-run all of ABC's programs - but nobody realized until the acquisiton was over that they had no rights to do that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Disney channel owned in the 80's, my dad recorded tons of their old movies and specials on vhs. It's pure shite for tweens now though.

Why isn't it "When" instead of Where?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zuijia Paidang AKA Aces Go Places AKA Mad Mission AKA Diamondfinger [1982]

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

effectual posted:

Why isn't it "When" instead of Where?

yeah that's the only flaw in an otherwise fantastic poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MacheteZombie posted:

Zuijia Paidang AKA Aces Go Places AKA Mad Mission AKA Diamondfinger [1982]

Now I want to see a Joseph Gordon Levitt and Haley Joel Osmant buddy comedy.