Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh poo poo sorry, my bad, it's his second post where he explains why he's using stHP instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

He just wanted to help don't be rude :(

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Evil Canadian posted:

He just wanted to help don't be rude :(

I think it went over your head because he's saying that the post must have been a hard read because damage or not, those all stil start with HK, which he then explains is inferior because some punishable moves that can be CC'd leave the character crouching. Like Chun post Ex SBK. just like in the video he posted, but he didn't post her doing sbk.

And this is one of the many recent games where not using meter is ??? because you get it for like breathing air.

~but thats my interpretation.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

SectumSempra posted:

I think it went over your head because he's saying that the post must have been a hard read because damage or not, those all stil start with HK, which he then explains is inferior because some punishable moves that can be CC'd leave the character crouching. Like Chun post Ex SBK. just like in the video he posted, but he didn't post her doing sbk.

And this is one of the many recent games where not using meter is ??? because you get it for like breathing air.

~but thats my interpretation.

I dunno a lot of things go over my head, but its easy to hit everything with st.hk minus karins ex as CC so that is better is all I am saying.

*ed*

and st hk always does more dmg

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Karin's stHK is pretty good, though. Granted it doesn't have the silly range of some other HKs but it's not stubby either.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Karin's stHK is pretty good, though. Granted it doesn't have the silly range of some other HKs but it's not stubby either.

Dude............ spoilers please.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Evil Canadian posted:

Not to poop on your work but I have been working on Vega and I got all that beat.

cc no bar:
(claw) st.hk, st.hp, stance switch, st.lp, cr.mp mk roll 306/525
(no claw) st.hk, st.hk, st.lp, cr.mp, mk roll 315/525
ex walldive
(claw) st.hk, st.hp, stance switch, st.lp cr.mp ex walldive->izuna 350/541
(no claw) st.hk, cr.mk st.mp->hk, ex walldive-> izuna - 361/501

For everyone except for Karin basically, st.hk really is superior.

For every single one of those st. LP to cr. MP, you pretty much always have to start the combo point blank, which isn't always an option when you set up a frame trap or block a reversal. Also those mk roll enders don't give you a knockdown to work from.

In my experience, unless it's something like a shoryuken or necalli's DP, you're almost never at point blank range on a CC opportunity. I'd rather just train myself to use the standing fierce counter combo by default.

Also, that last crush counter EX wall dive starts with claw off. I was just trying to give good options with claw on scenario. Yes, I already use that last combo when the claw is off.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 14, 2016

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Srice posted:

I don't think any shooter is gonna be able to replicate CS:GO's success anytime soon. It had a very unusual surge in popularity at some point down the line after an okay launch and it just exploded and kept growing.

Agreed Counter Strike is a unique beast with a very large appeal due to its history. A lot of people who play and watch CSGO are the same people who were playing 1.6 in College. CSGO is also focused towards competitiveness, while I'm sure Overwatch will have a scene it doesn’t seem that is Blizzards main focus.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Surprisingly short range: check
Glacial startup that moves you forward into the foot your opponent probably stuck out: check
Almost zero followup options from anything other than point blank: check

I disagree with your assessment.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YOH2jgc68&t=41s

This may not look like much, but I'm still relatively new to FGs and I think this is one of the first times I identified someone doing really predictable stuff and was able to adjust and get in consistent punishes. What are some things I should be mixing in to my gameplay? I feel like the MP->HP->HK isn't the best punish, but it's the easiest one for me to pull off.

e: I was flailing around weirdly at the end of round 2 because I couldn't figure out the taunt command

dhamster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dhamster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YOH2jgc68&t=41s

This may not look like much, but I'm still relatively new to FGs and I think this is one of the first times I identified someone doing really predictable stuff and was able to adjust and get in consistent punishes. What are some things I should be mixing in to my gameplay? I feel like the MP->HP->HK isn't the best punish, but it's the easiest one for me to pull off.

You need to practice your shoryuken anti airs, and do some crush counter drills. Ryu's target combo is okay, but it whiffs crouchers. You should work on adding his b. HK and f. HP into your repertoire.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Agreed, I really don't go for anti-airs as much as I should. I think part of it is I am trying to get out of the habit of throwing out random shoryukens, which tends to puts me in a bad spot. I'll work on it with a jump-in dummy.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
4 frame punish: st.lk xx hp dp / mk tatsu (tatsu whiffs on crouchers)

your 5 frame go to punish for anything close:

st.mp, cr.hp xx hp dp / mk tatsu (cr.hp forces stand, so tatsu will never whiff)

DP / invul reversal punish combo:

crush counter st.hk , st.hk, s.lk xx hp dp / mk tatsu (doesn't work on karin)

you can practice defending against fireballs and jump-ins by recording a dummy ryu to randomly switch between throwing a fireball (try to neutral jump or parry it with ryu) and doing a jump in (try to DP it)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if fighting games will ever get to the stupidly large prize pools mobas get

No, Street Fighter will never be nearly as popular if for the simple fact that DOTA2 barrier to entry is free to play + runs on any poo poo pc, while Street Fighter is free to play for $50 and barely runs on any pc. Also DOTA2 is being heavily backed by Steam, who have a "little" more money to throw around compared to on-the-verge-of-death Capcom.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Also Capcom is terrified of doing anything innovative or competent.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

No, Street Fighter will never be nearly as popular if for the simple fact that DOTA2 barrier to entry is free to play + runs on any poo poo pc, while Street Fighter is free to play for $50 and barely runs on any pc. Also DOTA2 is being heavily backed by Steam, who have a "little" more money to throw around compared to on-the-verge-of-death Capcom.

Actually, it's 60 bucks!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Also mobas are designed so they can be played by someone who is functionally retarded whereas is you are bad at fighting games, you will lose and can't blame it on your teammates. You also need to put in effort to practice doing even the most basic things and the average person can't even do a fireball motion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also mobas are designed so they can be played by someone who is functionally retarded whereas is you are bad at fighting games, you will lose and can't blame it on your teammates. You also need to put in effort to practice doing even the most basic things and the average person can't even do a fireball motion.

Hi I just bought this game because I make poor decisions and I can do the fireball thingy and nothing else

:rip:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hi I just bought this game because I make poor decisions and I can do the fireball thingy and nothing else

Stop jumping.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Winning is also completely dependent on your team-mates, no matter how good you are. Why so many play these games solo is beyond me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

was playing on a new sfid today, did not lose a ranked match until i made it to silver. to the game's credit, i didn't face anyone above ultra bronze until i hit silver

upon hitting silver, my first match was against a super plat laura named legendarysaiyan or some such. so, i guess that happens.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gammatron 64 posted:

You will lose and can't blame it on your teammates.

You just blame it on 'lag' or 'netcode' instead really.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Winning is also completely dependent on your team-mates, no matter how good you are. Why so many play these games solo is beyond me.

Well it's a different kind of skillset. The top players could start half a dozen fresh accounts and get them all to the top of the ladders with ease and with very high win rates. Some people just have a talent for understanding how to win a team game(I sure don't). That's not to say all the mobas out right now aren't terrible(they are).

I also find it really hard to figure out how to improve in mobas. You can look at something and say "did I play that situation well enough? or did we get hosed over by bad decisions from teammates? should I have told them what to do? should I have expected them to make poor choices and adjusted my own play? or should I have played the way I did but better? or did I play well enough where if everyone played at this level we would have won?" who the gently caress knows the answers to any of those questions, it's impossible to tell(for me at least).

In a fighting game there is literally no one to blame but yourself(ok fine, lag for online play). You can pick the same character as the other guy, do the same moves as him, there are no teammates to blame, etc. It's all on you. That's kind of awesome.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I feel like progression in a fighter or any other heavily skill based game feels more rewarding, too. In a lot of RPGs and like, every MMO ever, you grind experience points and get loot that makes your character's numbers go up. However, you the player are really getting all that better. In fighters, your character stays the same, but it's YOU who level up and get better. Practicing and being able to do things you once thought impossible feels good.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Pretty nice combo guide for Alex if anyone's interested; I actually didn't know you could link a jab after his LP Flash. That 100% resources combo at the end is amazing, too, at 523 damage.

The comeback potential. :allears:

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

You just blame it on 'lag' or 'netcode' instead really.

Or 'Laura'

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

bhsman posted:

That 100% resources combo at the end is amazing, too, at 523 damage.

The comeback potential. :allears:

Almost half their health!

I guess that's actually over half of most of the cast, but still. All the "big damage" like that is so impractical from a gameplay perspective it's hard to get excited about it. Full meter and a v-trigger when you need a comeback? It can happen, but yeah.

Alex seems like a step in the right direction combo-wise, at least. Still can't get over nobody getting anything real off jabs.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 15, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Faffel posted:

Almost half their health!

I guess that's actually over half of most of the cast, but still. All the "big damage" like that is so impractical from a gameplay perspective it's hard to get excited about it. Full meter and a v-trigger when you need a comeback? It can happen, but yeah.

Yeah, it seems like it's there purely for those sort of rainy-day situations, and without seeming that difficult to get down.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Faffel posted:

Still can't get over nobody getting anything real off jabs.

I can't say im super against it because of what jabs do in this game.

And how much really seems appropriate off a jab?

A quarter health bar loss? and eighth?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, there's that side of the argument, fighters are more execution and skill heavy, while mobas tend to be more about knowledge, information retention and memorizing excel spreadsheets. But, if you want to be decent in a game like DOTA and not actively undermine your team every single second of the match, there's a lot more bullshit to memorize and be aware of than you might think. I guess it's debatable and you can't really compare the gameplay styles side by side since it's totally different fundamental skillsets. I don't really believe you need to be a genius to be good in Street Fighter either, the functionally retarded have no issues picking it up and getting quite far (e.g. Street Fighter V players that started with Street Fighter IV.) There's plenty of overlap when you get into the psychology aspect of any player vs player game overall though.

Okita posted:

Some people just have a talent for understanding how to win a team game(I sure don't).

I imagine you pick up tricks and strategies from playing with and watching other high level players, just like you do in any fighter.

Faffel posted:

Still can't get over nobody getting anything real off jabs.

Except Ken I guess?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:lol: 4 of top 5 at CtB are Mikas, with Brian Jeon waiting in Grand Finals with Necalli. :911:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

LOOK AT THAT HAIR. LOOK AT IT.

General Morden posted:

ft10 zand in the game

if you don't you already lost the fight

sorry this is how we do it in the streets

I'll do it. I'll lose but I'll do it.

E:

Also, who the hell is coming out this month we're almost halfway through it already and they haven't said poo poo.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how to deal with Chun's dumb air legs as Vega?
Also does anyone know the frames on Vega's blocked st.hp - Stance Switch?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
crouch jab air legs

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 15, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Ag Bengip posted:

Or 'Laura'

I was so excited to see Mike Ross at WNF. He's finally free from his mad Honda compulsion, so he can finally play a good character.

And then I realized...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

crouch jab ex legs

I've heard that but are you sure it works with Vega because the hitbox on his cr.lp is quite low?
It might also be that I've got the timing wrong or something.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know how to deal with Chun's dumb air legs as Vega?
Also does anyone know the frames on Vega's blocked st.hp - Stance Switch?

cr.mp and cr.hp both work fine in stuffing it as long as you are on the ball. Vega actually has it a bit easier than most with it.

claw st.hp into stance switch is minus 2. There is basically no reason for someone not to hit buttons after they see st.hp since st.hp->back claw special is a true blockstring so nothing would come out anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

cr.mp and cr.hp both work fine in stuffing it as long as you are on the ball. Vega actually has it a bit easier than most with it.
Gotcha. I'll practice that.

Evil Canadian posted:

claw st.hp into stance switch is minus 2. There is basically no reason for someone not to hit buttons after they see st.hp since st.hp->back claw special is a true blockstring so nothing would come out anyway.
That's a shame, I was hoping that it would be a proper mix-up for Vega.
I guess there's no reason to do stance switch instead of Aurora as long as I've got my claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't think that's true. I've hit people with the claw swipe as counterhit after they blocked the st. HP.

Jack Trades posted:

Gotcha. I'll practice that.

That's a shame, I was hoping that it would be a proper mix-up for Vega.
I guess there's no reason to do stance switch instead of Aurora as long as I've got my claw.

Well.. no. You can use it to test and see if your opponent has been conditioned to do nothing on block. If they have, then it's time to go for the command throw.