Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MeLKoR posted:

Would you engage in friendly banter with Seraph if he was a funny pedophile?

This is a forum on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is it likely that the door cost more or less than the espresso machine? I'd guess more, but I am not a door expert nor am I employed in an industry that has a lot of door related activities.

And if, as the YouTube commenter hypothesized, having nice things around you at work (like a fancy motor door) makes you more productive, what kind of increase in productivity can be expected? 5%? 10? Does that mean SC will be finished in 3Q 2020 instead of 1Q 2021?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Marching Powder posted:

Woah this is like going to /r/starcitizen and saying "dudes you realize you're obsessed with an unreleased game about space ships in space"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Moogle posted:

Your posts are fun to read, in my limited and largely unnecessary opinion.

I get all post shy. I glance over and see all these glorious, thick, veiny and proud posts throbbing away in my face and I'm too intimidated to dangle my thin, flaccid, unsatisfying and misshapen comments into the bowl to get quietly mocked with your eyes.

I think it's a deeper issue, but I just don't understand it.
:justpost:

Marching Powder posted:

OK, let me rephrase it then "would you engage in friendly banter with Seraph on an internet forum if he was a funny pedophile"?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Daztek posted:

Can we talk about doors

Let's talk about doors

I didn't spend two weeks making this video about a door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8C0hh1NcSo

thank you

Doors are beauty incarnate.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MeLKoR posted:

Would you engage in friendly banter with Seraph if he was a funny pedophile?

It really amuses me that this concerns you enough to download an add-on and utilise it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*clutches purse*

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Imagine trying to get some morning coffee at CIG. You swipe your card, wait 3 seconds for the door to open. Then you gotta wait again and make sure a disgruntled citizen doesn't run in behind you until the doors close. Then you gotta try and be a barista and make some coffee in an dirty $20K espresso machine.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Moogle posted:

Your posts are fun to read, in my limited and largely unnecessary opinion.

I get all post shy. I glance over and see all these glorious, thick, veiny and proud posts throbbing away in my face and I'm too intimidated to dangle my thin, flaccid, unsatisfying and misshapen comments into the bowl to get quietly mocked with your eyes.

I think it's a deeper issue, but I just don't understand it.

This place is a whetstone. Sharpen your posts here, and if you think you're too blunt, there are hammers pretending to be occam's razor out here so it's cool

Just post, you're a good poster

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

hosed up if true.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Just imagine the sheer pants making GBS threads terror at CIG if that jpeg fails to make a couple of mil :unsmigghh:

They'll have lowered their expectations since the Blade sale, maybe $500-600k over 10 days. Spacebus level.

AP fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 15, 2016

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So, she makes a joking comment and is probated? Alright then.

Guess telling someone to "suck my oval office" is to much for Something Awful's sensitivity.

Bet you loved the laughs though.

See, there's a difference. I'm going to explain it to you, but I'm afraid you might be too dim to understand.

The better humour in this thread is like something from a Stuart Lee sketch. There's a cleverness to it, there's wit, it's satirical. Kinda like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0

Her post was more like this... Dumb, easy, and offensive. Literally worse than anything even the worst comedy of the thread has provided...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzn_uDxW-Fc

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

X-Ultron posted:

Imagine trying to get some morning coffee at CIG. You swipe your card, wait 3 seconds for the door to open. Then you gotta wait again and make sure a disgruntled citizen doesn't run in behind you until the doors close. Then you gotta try and be a barista and make some coffee in an dirty $20K espresso machine.

DIY Development (Now Open!)

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Those doors aren't as fidelitous as I thought they were because they don't make the Doom door sound.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I lurked a few years before I got an account. Then I lurked a couple more years before my first post I think

You might say "well fat load of good it did you, you rat faced white noise keyboard goop pile of unprocessed sewage"

[here there'd be some insightful comment if I were a better poster]

At first I thought you where an rear end. Then I came to love you like the sweet cynical poster you are :smug:

I remember your first post to me "use TIMG" as it was yesterday. Good times.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

It really amuses me that this concerns you enough to download an add-on and utilise it
You are easily amused. It doesn't "concern" me, there are 7.4 billion people in the world and I'll never have the opportunity to meet or speak with 99.999% of them. Why wouldn't I filter out the racists, the homophobes and the pedos? I don't want to associate with scum, why is this seemingly such a big concern for you that you can't seem to be able to let it go?

And if you are browsing the forums without the SALR tools then the more fool you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

No, as I don't care. Which is what I find it so amusing someone was so clearly bothered by name calling on the internet. That shits hilarious.

Nice meltdown.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

X-Ultron posted:

lol at 3 second card reader -> security control board -> door actuator transaction. It should be nearly instantaneous in a well designed system.

The delay adds to the immersion. The airlock needs to cycle and the motor needs to warm up to open those big bulky doors. After all, they are making the Best drat Spaceship Building Ever.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr.Tophat posted:

The drone sighs deeply and resigns himself to his fate. "I honestly believe that CIG is the best company, and I honestly believe in Chris Roberts."

Great writing, I laughed. :golfclap:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

Great writing, I laughed. :golfclap:

:wotwot:

Then it was all worth it. I have earned my daily JPEG.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

If I heard the Doom door sound every time I went to make rancid espresso, I would be a really productive employee.

Serious post: Those doors are my favorite example of wasteful spending among many other examples.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

X-Ultron posted:

I love the dozens of shitizens saying poo poo like "They NEED a 20,000 coffee machine, they have 300 employees and you can't make 1200 cups a day with a Mr Coffee because it will burn out in a day." Completely neglecting the facts that you need to be a barista to work the thing, it requires an hour a day of cleaning, and the office in question only has like 30 employees which could be easily serviced by something like a $500 Bunn.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

X-Ultron posted:

If I heard the Doom door sound every time I went to make rancid espresso, I would be a really productive employee.

Serious post: Those doors are my favorite example of wasteful spending among many other examples.

Obviously you know nothing about healthy work environment development.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

*clutches purse*

that's hosed up and im adding it too my notes about you you dirty purse owner

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

X-Ultron posted:

this is everything else but wasteful. Most companies haven't realised but morale is absolutely everything. studies even have shown that working less makes the employee more productive. same with enviroment. google's one of the few whos actually doing this

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
While skipping through yesterday's ATV I noticed the guy from Austin who always describes himself as "associate producer of the persistent universe" instead introduced himself as "producer of the Austin studio."

Promotion or another sign of PU stasis?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
also send the crazy bitches to fyad

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Man it's all netiquette chat up in here.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

FrankieGoes posted:

Is it likely that the door cost more or less than the espresso machine? I'd guess more, but I am not a door expert nor am I employed in an industry that has a lot of door related activities.

And if, as the YouTube commenter hypothesized, having nice things around you at work (like a fancy motor door) makes you more productive, what kind of increase in productivity can be expected? 5%? 10? Does that mean SC will be finished in 3Q 2020 instead of 1Q 2021?

There's a point between comfortable and opulence where the returns diminish rapidly. I'll let the thread decide where CIG land on this spectrum.

Also adorable ocean cat.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 15, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Daztek posted:

this is everything else but wasteful. Most companies haven't realised but morale is absolutely everything. studies even have shown that working less makes the employee more productive. same with enviroment. google's one of the few whos actually doing this

As Lando says

work smart, not hard

:smug:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Io_ posted:

There's a point between comfortable and opulence where the returns diminish rapidly. I'll let the thread decide where CIG land on this spectrum.

Also adorable ocean cat.

Even hedonism bot wants to put down the indulgance and work on the game

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Comfort leads to slacking.
Companionship leads to longer breaks.

Make them hate each other and set them on jagged stone slabs to get things done.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FrankieGoes posted:

I love the dozens of shitizens saying poo poo like "They NEED a 20,000 coffee machine, they have 300 employees and you can't make 1200 cups a day with a Mr Coffee because it will burn out in a day." Completely neglecting the facts that you need to be a barista to work the thing, it requires an hour a day of cleaning, and the office in question only has like 30 employees which could be easily serviced by something like a $500 Bunn.

For $20k, they can just give everyone 3 Mr Coffees each — that should last them at least halfway through the production period of the game, and I'm sure that by 2025, they can ask for another $20k to cover the remaining development time.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Io_ posted:

Yes.

I knew someone who worked at a company back in the 1999 dotcom insanity that really went all out for their employees. Amazing chairs, any computer equipment you wanted. They would bring in 3 meals a day and do your laundry and groceries for you. I thought it was pretty insane at the time. But the thing it, all that was in service of encouraging their programmers to stay at work foerever. The extra 20-40 hours a week they were coding was worth way more than all the perks.

I don't really see that with the CIG luxuries. They seem to be status symbols, to show that they are doing well, rather than investments to help increase productivity, put employees at ease, or make their product better.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

boethius posted:

Yes.

I knew someone who worked at a company back in the 1999 dotcom insanity that really went all out for their employees. Amazing chairs, any computer equipment you wanted. They would bring in 3 meals a day and do your laundry and groceries for you. I thought it was pretty insane at the time. But the thing it, all that was in service of encouraging their programmers to stay at work foerever. The extra 20-40 hours a week they were coding was worth way more than all the perks.

I don't really see that with the CIG luxuries. They seem to be status symbols, to show that they are doing well, rather than investments to help increase productivity, put employees at ease, or make their product better.

we just have a bar in the office and that works too

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

boethius posted:

Yes.

You're right. Also, if all these amazing features were so great, why does CIG have such a huge, disproportionate turnover in staff?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Star Citizen: Suck my oval office

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SquirrelGrip posted:

that's hosed up and im adding it too my notes about you you dirty purse owner

Fair.

MeLKoR posted:

You are easily amused. It doesn't "concern" me, there are 7.4 billion people in the world and I'll never have the opportunity to meet or speak with 99.999% of them. Why wouldn't I filter out the racists, the homophobes and the pedos? I don't want to associate with scum, why is this seemingly such a big concern for you that you can't seem to be able to let it go?

And if you are browsing the forums without the SALR tools then the more fool you.

- smartie
- mean
- possible paedophile associate

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7x28-V66eQ

Overconfidence is a preference for the habitual purveyor of what is known as
(parplife)
And real life can be avoided if you fly a jpeg straight through what is known as
(parplife)
Ben's got brewers droop he gets intimidated by his massive missus
She loves a bit of it (parklife)
Who's that gut lord marching... you should cut down on your porklife mate... get some exercise

[Chorus]
ALL THE BACKERS
SO MANY BACKERS
THEY ALL GO HAND TO MOUTH
HAND TO MOUTH FOR THEIR PARPLIFE

Know what I mean
He posts what he wants except on mondays when he gets rudely accosted by 10 questions
(Parplife)
He puts his trousers on, has a bump of coke and he thinks about buying a house (parplife)
He talks of pigeons, procedurally created sparrows too, it gets him a pile of enormous whale funding
(parplife)
And then he's happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge there will never be a programmer devoted to it (parplife)

[Chorus]

Parplife (parplife)
Parplife (parplife)

It's got nothing to do with "in zwei Wochen" you know
And it's not about you cultists who argue round and round and round
Parplife (parplife)

[Chorus x 2]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

You're right. Also, if all these amazing features were so great, why does CIG have such a huge, disproportionate turnover in staff?

Because they stopped at the “amazing chairs” bullet point and forgot all the parts that actually made it a good work environment (and they also misinterpreted “amazing” as “expensive and pretentious” rather than “really comfortable and practical for endless hours of desk work”). Also, the company management is horrid.

• Locked thread