Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why not just import wolves to eat the toads/rabbits? Problem solved.

I know this is a joke post but cane toads are poisonous, I think the only thing that eats them is ravens who have learned to flip them over and eat their non poisonous soft underbelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think that documentary was one of the reasons that, after complaining for years about "but the historic structure!" and "but our views!" the people in charge of the Golden Gate are finally installing anti-suicide stuff.

Of course by "anti-suicide stuff", I'm sure you just mean a simple barrier that would force people to put effort into climbing over it. Why anyone would fight against that is just baffling to me. So many of these suicides are people who just say "gently caress it" and hop over the rail really quick, and The Bridge featured testimony from a guy who said he regretted jumping the instant he did it but it was too late to grab onto anything. Simple barriers that force people to put more effort into jumping are proven to be effective in preventing a lot of them.

I guess its just that same old stigma where some think that suicidal people don't deserve help or resources because they're weak or disrespectful to God or whatever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

I know this is a joke post but cane toads are poisonous, I think the only thing that eats them is ravens who have learned to flip them over and eat their non poisonous soft underbelly.

Then import komodo dragons to eat them, their mouths are basically made of poison so no harm no foul. Besides, whats another species of giant man eating lizard on what is essentially monster island anyways?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kimono dragons, the classiest reptiles.

E: aw.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Something unnerving to me is I just found out Johnny Rebel is still alive :psyduck:

I'd always assumed he was old in the 60s when most of his racist music I've heard of came out

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Of course by "anti-suicide stuff", I'm sure you just mean a simple barrier that would force people to put effort into climbing over it. Why anyone would fight against that is just baffling to me. So many of these suicides are people who just say "gently caress it" and hop over the rail really quick, and The Bridge featured testimony from a guy who said he regretted jumping the instant he did it but it was too late to grab onto anything. Simple barriers that force people to put more effort into jumping are proven to be effective in preventing a lot of them.

I guess its just that same old stigma where some think that suicidal people don't deserve help or resources because they're weak or disrespectful to God or whatever.
Mental Illness Happy Hour recently had a conversation with a police officer who dealt with Golden Gate jumpers. It is very good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think I posted it ages ago but with the current chat about Canada and aboriginals, I figured I could post again about the staggering amount of missing native women. Most of the women disappeared from the downtown eastside in Vancouver which is quite famous for being a heavy drug use area, and an extremely poor area too. With a lot of women missing there not the police at first didn't really think much about until they found out that a bloody serial killer was using the area as his hunting ground. So that accounted for a few missing women, but there are still many others that have not been found or attributed to Pickton. This isn't only a problem in a major city like Vancouver, as there is also the highway of tears where numerous women have gone missing. I think they pinned it all on some dead serial killer now, but who knows.
Really the issues of missing aboriginal women is happening on other places throughout the country, and it is only recently that the federal government said they would look into it, only after the last government were voted out (they were also massive dipshits who didn't really care much about the plight of their less than rich citizens so that might be a reason no-one did anything about the whole mess).

Anyway, if you want to go through some data and reports, here is the RCMP report from a year or so back about missing aboriginal women.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The idea of so many women going missing and the authorities not caring at all is truly bizarre and frightening to me. Is it all because of murderers and serial killers? That's incredibly sad.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Telsa Cola posted:

there's something else that gets around it by leaving the body for a few days until the poison is all gone but gently caress if I can remember what it is

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

willus posted:

there's something else that gets around it by leaving the body for a few days until the poison is all gone but gently caress if I can remember what it is

Crocs will eat the legs of the toads (which are also not filled with poison) but that's all I could think of.

Researchers are tossing cane toad sausages out of helicopters over the NT to try to train quolls not to eat them. That's not really creepy though that's just a little peculiar. But apparently it works. [source]

Australia, like Canada, has a lot of problems with being monstrous towards our indigenous peoples. In 1992 there was a Royal Commission to investigate black deaths in custody. Cops would take people in non-airconditioned police vans from their very remote communities (not using that phrase for exaggeration, that's what they are called to distinguish them from remote communities for legislative reasons!) in the middle of the desert, for upwards of four hours to rural centres were the gaols were. People died.

Oh wait did I say that in the past tense? Naw that all still happens. How far have we gone in improving indigenous incarceration rates and deaths in custody in the 25 years since that commission? Backwards, you say?

Somewhere on ABC there's another transcript or article about an indigenous boy who was murdered and no investigation was ever properly done... I can't seem to find it at the moment. The kid's body was found in a dam with rocks weighing him down, and was last seen with a sketchy whitefella they think murdered him. No investigation.

At any rate RN's Law Report has transcripts for each program and some of them are pretty messed up.

Oh, how about this? Two years ago a homeless woman in Sydney was murdered in an acid attack. It took a few weeks for her to die after she was found in bushland, and they think she may have been attacked some time prior to that. I don't think they ever found out who killed her.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
last statements of the Heavens Gate cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHz9it70TdI

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Kimono dragons, the classiest reptiles.

E: aw.

:ninja:

Phone postin!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

doodlebugs posted:

last statements of the Heavens Gate cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHz9it70TdI
"The other thing about this ... just because you've had contact with someone from an extraterrestrial circumstance, doesn't mean they're any more trustworthy than someone who hasn't. The Mormons supposedly, John Smith had the same contact, and a space alien doesn't mean he's from the Kingdom of God. So, um, you would do well, to do some research as well."

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
last seconds of the Jonestown Massacre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tpQcbyvK0

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

willus posted:

Maybe dingos or goannas?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Madkal posted:

I think I posted it ages ago but with the current chat about Canada and aboriginals, I figured I could post again about the staggering amount of missing native women. Most of the women disappeared from the downtown eastside in Vancouver which is quite famous for being a heavy drug use area, and an extremely poor area too. With a lot of women missing there not the police at first didn't really think much about until they found out that a bloody serial killer was using the area as his hunting ground. So that accounted for a few missing women, but there are still many others that have not been found or attributed to Pickton. This isn't only a problem in a major city like Vancouver, as there is also the highway of tears where numerous women have gone missing. I think they pinned it all on some dead serial killer now, but who knows.
Really the issues of missing aboriginal women is happening on other places throughout the country, and it is only recently that the federal government said they would look into it, only after the last government were voted out (they were also massive dipshits who didn't really care much about the plight of their less than rich citizens so that might be a reason no-one did anything about the whole mess).

Anyway, if you want to go through some data and reports, here is the RCMP report from a year or so back about missing aboriginal women.

This reminds me of the Grim Sleeper documentary I saw mentioned in this thread and watched on HBO go. Dozens of young black women found murdered in Los Angeles over the years with no real bother to investigate by the LAPD.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

FourLeaf posted:

The idea of so many women going missing and the authorities not caring at all is truly bizarre and frightening to me. Is it all because of murderers and serial killers? That's incredibly sad.
Cops tend to shrug off missing persons reports when the person is, or is thought to be, homeless or a drug addict or a prostitute, because they live such transient and dangerous lives anyway, and who knows or cares where they go or what happens to them? Add racial stereotyping to this, and you see why they manage to miss so many serial killers when the victims aren't pretty white girls from nice neighborhoods.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

Apparently, Gay Talese has been in regular contact for several decades with a hotel owner who turned his hotel into a private voyeur preserve. Fifty years after the hotelier installed special vents in the ceilings of his rooms so he could watch - and record in detail - the sexual escapades of his patrons, he is ready to have his story told.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/11/gay-talese-the-voyeurs-motel
Well, this is strange, looks like Sam Mendes just got the rights to this story. http://www.avclub.com/article/sam-mendes-direct-different-kind-spying-voyeurs-mo-235348
Kinda looking forward to the weird movie he's gonna churn out.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

pookel posted:

Cops tend to shrug off missing persons reports when the person is, or is thought to be, homeless or a drug addict or a prostitute, because they live such transient and dangerous lives anyway, and who knows or cares where they go or what happens to them? Add racial stereotyping to this, and you see why they manage to miss so many serial killers when the victims aren't pretty white girls from nice neighborhoods.

There's even a name for it!

I lurk r/unresolved every once in a while, because there's sometimes interesting stuff about John/Jane Does, unsolved murders, missing persons cases and the like. Just about every time I visit, the front page is filled with crap about Maura Murray, Jonbenet Ramsey, Madeline McCann and the like. Not to say those cases aren't interesting, but it's kind of ridiculous the amount of attention that they still get.

A missing person case that always gets to me that isn't about a wealthy blonde girl is the disappearance of Asha Degree.A little girl, known for being shy, unadventurous, and very attached to her family, packed her backpack and left her house in the middle of a cold, rainy night in 2000. She was seen and reported walking down the road by passing motorists (one truck driver even turned around and tried to approach her, but she ran off into some nearby woods). That was the last reported sighting of her, but her bookbag was found months later at a construction site, wrapped in plastic, with the items inside (including pictures of her family) still intact. There still aren't any real leads, and at this point it's doubtful that there will ever be resolution for her family. The whole case is absolutely heartbreaking and weird as hell.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that's a weird sad story. Maybe she took fouling out in that basketball game harder than everyone thought.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've read about Asha Degree before. Why would a shy, timid 10-year-old deliberately plan to run away from home, and walk over a mile in the rain in the middle of the night? I don't know either, but I'd bet my last $20 that someone was hurting her before she ran away. That story has "child abuse" written all over it. Poor kid. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

I've read about Asha Degree before. Why would a shy, timid 10-year-old deliberately plan to run away from home, and walk over a mile in the rain in the middle of the night? I don't know either, but I'd bet my last $20 that someone was hurting her before she ran away. That story has "child abuse" written all over it. Poor kid. :(

I can kinda see it. As a kid I've done similar things where I just took off and starting walking, and if it had started raining I probably would have thought it was awesome that I was out at night in the rain and my parents didn't know about it.

Sounds like she was just doing rebellious kid stuff and had really, really bad luck that night. You could definitely be right though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Basebf555 posted:

Of course by "anti-suicide stuff", I'm sure you just mean a simple barrier that would force people to put effort into climbing over it.

Even better. A 20-foot-wide steel net under the bridge on both sides.

quote:

A similar net was placed more than a decade ago on the Munster Terrace cathedral in Bern, Switzerland, and since then no suicide attempts have been reported.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pookel posted:

Calm down, bro, that's not helpful.

My brother was actually really good friends with her brother, and they always seemed like good people. There's still a huge contingent of internet detectives "solving the case" by blaming her dad - please imagine how hurtful that type of thing is if he didn't do anything wrong?

Their friendship fell apart after that happened - having your sister disappear off the face of the planet is pretty bad for your psyche.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

doodlebugs posted:

last seconds of the Jonestown Massacre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tpQcbyvK0

YouTube autoqueues the full FBI tape of post-suicide Jonestown

china bot has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Apr 15, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

pookel posted:

Yeah. The only reason we know about the Long Island Serial Killer is because Shannan Gilbert's family was so adamant about pressuring the police into investigating. Without them, the remains on Gilgo Beach would've stayed there until Sandy washed everything away.

At least some families got a degree of closure.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

My brother was actually really good friends with her brother, and they always seemed like good people. There's still a huge contingent of internet detectives "solving the case" by blaming her dad - please imagine how hurtful that type of thing is if he didn't do anything wrong?
No, no, I didn't mean to imply it was her dad. I wasn't aware of the internet detectives. I just meant that running away in the middle of the night like that suggests something bad was going on with her. It could just as easily have been a teacher or coach or other relative. It just seems unlikely that she'd have done that for no reason at all.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

On the topic of native people, can anyone suggest some good reading material (or watching material, whatever) on recent US aboriginal history?

I'm Canadian, and I'd like to know more about what the US has been like comparatively over the last 50 years. I know more about Australia than I do about the US, which is strange.

Edit: I went and answered my demographic question. Yes, there is a higher Native population in Canada (as a percentage,) but the US population is still pretty large.

Trillian has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Apr 16, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Basebf555 posted:

I can kinda see it. As a kid I've done similar things where I just took off and starting walking, and if it had started raining I probably would have thought it was awesome that I was out at night in the rain and my parents didn't know about it.

Sounds like she was just doing rebellious kid stuff and had really, really bad luck that night. You could definitely be right though.

At the time of her disappearance, she'd been reading The Whipping Boy at school, which, among other things, is about a couple of kids who run away and go on an adventure. It may just be a red herring, but it's been theorized that she could have been just innocently acting it out, sort of daring herself, and as you said, running into terrible luck. I was a pretty shy kid at that age too, but I also had a ridiculously overactive imagination and a tendency to get swept up in things. I did tons of stupid poo poo because I'd read it in a book or saw it in a movie or TV show. I could kinda see it being possible, but I can see other theories working as well.

theflyingorc posted:

Their friendship fell apart after that happened - having your sister disappear off the face of the planet is pretty bad for your psyche.

Yeah, everything I've read about her family (and even community as a whole) makes them seem like really lovely people, and I highly doubt they had anything to do with it.

I'm sorry for her brother, and your's as well. I can't even imagine what it's like to go through something like that, even from the sidelines.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Trillian posted:

On the topic of native people, can anyone suggest some good reading material (or watching material, whatever) on recent US aboriginal history?

I'm Canadian, and I'd like to know more about what the US has been like comparatively over the last 50 years. I feel like I never hear about Native Americans, and I have wondered if that's a reflection of a lower population, or a more successful campaign of "integration", or just me.

Edit: I went and answered my demographic question. Yes, there are more natives in Canada (as a percentage of population,) but the US population is still pretty large.

It's pretty bad. I live in Oklahoma so it's a lot more present in my everyday life but as I understand it a large portion of the rest of the country seems to think Native Americans are like cavemen or something, some kind of olden-time kind of person that doesn't really exist any more. Rates of suicide, incarceration, substance abuse, addiction, etc. are all dramatically higher among natives. We don't really talk about it too much even here in former 'Indian Territory' aside from the casinos. I can't speak to reservation life or anything like that but here in Tulsa natives aren't exactly common, but not exactly rare either. I definitely see more black people in my day to day life. I grew up two houses down from a native family with two kids around my age and they were pretty much like every other family on the block. Dude had way more ninja turtles than I did. If there was racism on the part of anybody's parents it never made it out into the general population of kids.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, if anyone doubts Canada's atrocious treatment of Native American's they should consider the sobering fact that South Africa examined and copied elements of The Canadian Indian Act when creating their own Apartheid state.

Indian act (1876) posted:

“The aborigines are to be kept in a condition of tutelage and treated as wards or children of the State. Every effort should be made to aid the Red man in lifting himself out of his condition of tutelage and dependence, and that is clearly our wisdom and our duty . . . to prepare him for a higher civilization.

Duncan Campbell Scott, deputy superintendent of the Indian department from 1913 to 1932 posted:

I want to get rid of the Indian problemOur objective is to continue until there is not a single Indian in Canada that has not been absorbed into the body politic . . .

----
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Arctic_relocation
And here is a disturbing example of abuse, the High Arctic Relocation in the 50's. This was the government basically relocating a community of North Quebec Inuit to the High Arctic without proper supplies to survive, ostensibly to help return the Inuit to a traditional, sustenance based lifestyle, but in actuality they were "human flagpoles" during the Cold War where Canada wanted permanent settlements near the Arctic circle to settle land-claim disputes with Russia.

Wikipedia posted:

The Inuit were taken on the Eastern Arctic Patrolship C.G.S. C.D. Howe to areas on Cornwallis and Ellesmere Islands (Resolute and Grise Fiord), both large barren islands in the hostile polar north.While on the boat the families learned that they would not be living together but would be left at three separate locations.

The families were left without sufficient supplies of food and caribou skins and other materials for making appropriate clothing and tents. As they had been moved about 2,000 km (1,200 mi) to a very different ecosystem, they were unfamiliar with the wildlife and had to adjust to months of 24 hour darkness during the winter, and 24 hour sunlight during the summer, something that does not occur in northern Quebec. They were told that they would be returned home after two years if they wished, but these promises were not honoured by the government.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

I really hate when people assume stuff about these kinds of cases but I have to admit that when I read it my heart just loving dropped down in my stomach and my first thought was some sort of abuse because I projected my own poo poo onto it. I was abused by a close family friend and once tried to run away when he was visiting with his family. Didn't get far until someone who knew my parents saw me wandering away from town. Tried to run away from them even though I knew who they were because I was so drat shy :gbsmith:

Edit: And web sleuths loving suck. There's a difference between wanting to help the people that are affected by a missing person and Nancy Gracing all over poo poo because you want to play righteous keyboard detective.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Apr 16, 2016

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Trillian posted:

Here is a thing about how we're still sending bolts of cloth to some tribes while totally ignoring treaties about, you know, land and nationhood. Also, American Indians occupying Alcatraz for ~2 years and eventually being forced off by the feds. Part of the reason you hear so little about Indian issues in the US is that we totally ignore them and try to pretend that they're gone or on their way out. (The suicide, substance abuse, etc. figures are probably similar to Canada's.)

e: Jack Abramoff and Casino Jack on Netflix are a pretty good introduction to where we are now; tribal leaders who benefit from casino money can choose to disown other Indians who displease them and reduce them from well-off to poverty levels. Pretty much any article you can google about being "on the rez" points to how American Indians are disenfranchised and headed toward destruction.

RNG has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Apr 16, 2016

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
To who ever mentioned the Mansion Podcast "You Must Remember This" . Thank you!!!!

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Shoko Asahara yoga master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu8aNq62CDc

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I hate to be *that goon*, but that's 13 mins of (edit: poorly translated, edit edit: undecipherable) reading right there...what exactly are we looking for? Also: is that Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle? and is that the aum shinriko guy?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Apr 18, 2016

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I hate to be *that goon*, but that's 13 mins of (edit: poorly translated, edit edit: undecipherable) reading right there...what exactly are we looking for? Also: is that Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle? and is that the aum shinriko guy?

maybe idk you be the judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7uz8EYMYo

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

The CDC has been trying to help the UN cover up the fact that one of the UN's missions is responsible for an enormous cholera outbreak that started in Haiti and has since spread to neighboring countries.

quote:

The U.N. soldiers at that base had just arrived from their home country, Nepal, where a cholera outbreak was underway. Thanks to negligent sanitation practices, such as the open dump pits above, there was a multiplicity of ways that their choleraic feces could have gotten from the base into the river, including latrine pipes leaking over a drainage canal that emptied into the river.

[...]

The CDC, a U.S. government agency, discouraged journalists from asking about the epidemic’s origin, telling them that pinpointing the source , Dr. Snow–style, was “not productive,” “not central,” and would likely never happen. Its epidemiologists did provide a key detail early on, when they identified the strain in Haiti as having a recent South Asian origin—meaning it could have come from Nepal and not from South America, Africa, or anywhere else cholera was circulating at the time. But after that, the CDC refused to take environmental samples from around the base or test the soldiers during the small window when doing either would have been worthwhile.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

http://culteducation.com/group/826-aum-sect-shoko-asahara/818-asahara-a-social-fiend-or-doting-guru.html

he was on tv shows in japan alot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

jFC, Snow tracked that outbreak in 1854 with a notebook and a map, and yet somehow it's just too much trouble to do the same thing today with our technology?

That's just an embarrassing level of lameness.