Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Vader isn't trapped within metal, it's plainly plastic.

Like, come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

hhhat posted:

Because the special editions are stupid beyond repair

Yes. Does any sane person think awkwardly inserting wall-eyed Hayden Christensen into Return of the Jedi improved the film? Was anybody complaining about the Sebastian Shaw ghost before? No. It was fine. Not only was it a bad idea it was executed poorly. Anakin is looking at Luke like he's trying to seduce him.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
How come when the mask came off he talked with a different accent?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

wyoming posted:

Like, come the gently caress on.

I'm aware it's a minor point, but I'm curious whether he thought that was irrelevant (but included it anyways), or was correct to include it (because he thought it relevant) and wants to address the reality that he's wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It could've been metal if Sheev's surgeons weren't so goddamn cheap!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

bot where Han is returned by Leia's love, Vader is returned through the emperor's evil.
Ehhh, Luke's love has no part in Vader's return? How is that?

And seriously, the idea of Anakin's soul being a reflection of the last time he was at peace isn't that crazy. Yoda and Ben both had regrets, but probably had some measure of peace about who they were at the time of their deaths. Thus, their appearances don't change. Anakin did not, save for you know, maybe the last few minutes of his life. So, like Cnut said, logically he could either look like Hayden or like he did in his last few minutes of life. Truthfully, there was no point in his life where he looked like an unscathed Sebastian Shaw.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 15, 2016

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Yaws posted:

Not only was it a bad idea it was executed poorly. Anakin is looking at Luke like he's trying to seduce him.

Well maybe his dick was burned off in the lava so he hasn't had sex since he conceived the twins and besides luke probably reminds him of his ex girlfriend and anyway that family is kinda into incest

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

cargohills posted:

um actually it is in fact pretty bad

e: to back up my point this is the comic that evil C3PO+R2D2 and the cross between admiral ackbar & general grievous comes from

Evil c3po is great if you read his lines in the Creepio voice from those Auralnauts videos.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yaws posted:

Was anybody complaining about the Sebastian Shaw ghost before?

Yes.
Clearly it should've been Vader in white armor.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm aware it's a minor point, but I'm curious whether he thought that was irrelevant (but included it anyways), or was correct to include it (because he thought it relevant) and wants to address the reality that he's wrong.

Uh, I'm sure you'll find it's plastsiteel. And furthermore :techno:

Like, I'm with you that it's a skull, but it's placed on him as a death mask. Sheev isn't so much bringing him back to life, as his creating an avatar of death.
A great quote comparing Vader to a sports team mascot comes to mind.
The point is Anakin dies, and is used as Vader. Anakin doesn't come back to life until Luke reaches out to him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Ehhh, Luke's love has no part in Vader's return? How is that?

And seriously, the idea of Anakin's soul being a reflection of the last time he was at peace isn't that crazy. Yoda and Ben were both had regrets, but probably had some measure of peace about who they were at the time of their deaths. Thus, their appearances don't change. Anakin did not, save for you know, maybe the last few minutes of his life. So, like Cnut said, logically he could either look like Hayden or like he did in his last few minutes of life. Truthfully, there was no point in his life where he looked like an unscathed Sebastian Shaw.

Luke's love plays a part in Vader's redemption, but his return – that I'm talking about – occurs at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

The argument you're presenting assumes the Force Ghosts are some sort of objective thing that exists in the world rather than a metaphor for the continuation anyone can experience through being remembered. That's why there's the parallel between Yoda bodily disappearing down a hatch, but leaving his cloak behind, and Obi-Wan disappearing, but leaving his cloak behind. It doesn't really matter whether you die or not, because ghosts aren't real.

If we were to treat Force Ghosts as an objective phenomenon in the simulated universe that is Star Wars, then, yes, Anakin should have been uploaded into the ether as either Hayden Christensen or hosed-up robot Vader. But if what we're seeing is a representation of Luke's mind, then it makes sense we see how he might imagine his father finding peace – and that isn't going to be either a man his own age, or the mutilated body Vader died with.

wyoming posted:

Uh, I'm sure you'll find it's plastsiteel. And furthermore :techno:

Like, I'm with you that it's a skull, but it's placed on him as a death mask. Sheev isn't so much bringing him back to life, as his creating an avatar of death.
A great quote comparing Vader to a sports team mascot comes to mind.
The point is Anakin dies, and is used as Vader. Anakin doesn't come back to life until Luke reaches out to him.

I'm not the one who introduced what the material was. That was Cnut. If it's completely irrelevant, blame him.

Anyways, this completely misses the gradualness of Vader's conversion. There's no hard point where he's reborn. Instead he's slowly put in a bind where he can't resolve his dedicated to both his son and the Emperor, and he makes his choice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Luke's love plays a part in Vader's redemption, but his return – that I'm talking about – occurs at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

The argument you're presenting assumes the Force Ghosts are some sort of objective thing that exists in the world rather than a metaphor for the continuation anyone can experience through being remembered. That's why there's the parallel between Yoda bodily disappearing down a hatch, but leaving his cloak behind, and Obi-Wan disappearing, but leaving his cloak behind. It doesn't really matter whether you die or not, because ghosts aren't real.

If we were to treat Force Ghosts as an objective phenomenon in the simulated universe that is Star Wars, then, yes, Anakin should have been uploaded into the ether as either Hayden Christensen or hosed-up robot Vader. But if what we're seeing is a representation of Luke's mind, then it makes sense we see how he might imagine his father finding peace – and that isn't going to be either a man his own age, or the mutilated body Vader died with.

I'm not the one who introduced what the material was. That was Cnut. If it's completely irrelevant, blame him.

Anyways, this completely misses the gradualness of Vader's conversion. There's no hard point where he's reborn. Instead he's slowly put in a bind where he can't resolve his dedicated to both his son and the Emperor, and he makes his choice.
I'm afraid I've lost the thread here. Cnut said both Han and Anakin are saved from their imprisonment by love. You seemed to object to that, bringing up the emperor's evil, which yeah, is obviously what imprisons him, but not what frees him. I honestly may be not understanding your original point here, but I think maybe you just misunderstood Cnut's? Anakin never died, he was just imprisoned in Vader by Palpatine. Luke then saves him, as Leia saves Han from the carbonite.

As to the rest, ghosts not really existing is an interesting idea, but I don't think anything textually supports it, so I'm gonna keep on assuming they are real. They deliver information Luke has no way of knowing, so they definitely aren't purely a figment of his imagination, at which point, I'm not sure the simplest explanation is that their appearance would be dictated by Luke.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I'm afraid I've lost the thread here. Cnut said both Han and Anakin are saved from their imprisonment by love. You seemed to object to that, bringing up the emperor's evil, which yeah, is obviously what imprisons him, but not what frees him. I honestly may be not understanding your original point here, but I think maybe you just misunderstood Cnut's? Anakin never died, he was just imprisoned in Vader by Palpatine. Luke then saves him, as Leia saves Han from the carbonite.

As to the rest, ghosts not really existing is an interesting idea, but I don't think anything textually supports it, so I'm gonna keep on assuming they are real. They deliver information Luke has no way of knowing, so they definitely aren't purely a figment of his imagination, at which point, I'm not sure the simplest explanation is that their appearance would be dictated by Luke.

What information do they deliver? I'm honestly forgetting.

My argument is that Anakin dies on Revenge of the Sith fire planet, and is then reborn as Darth Vader. So, yeah, I understand that Cnut doesn't see it that way: I disagree with him. And that's the abrupt change that's comparable to Han Solo's freezing and thawing. Vader's redemption by Luke is too gradual to fit with that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

What information do they deliver? I'm honestly forgetting.

My argument is that Anakin dies on Revenge of the Sith fire planet, and is then reborn as Darth Vader. So, yeah, I understand that Cnut doesn't see it that way: I disagree with him. And that's the abrupt change that's comparable to Han Solo's freezing and thawing. Vader's redemption by Luke is too gradual to fit with that.
The location of Yoda, the fact that Luke has a sister......... maybe something else? I dunno, it's been awhile.

Duration of time spent being saved strikes me as an odd metric to compare. Like, thematically they are pretty similar ideas. Two characters are saved from imprisonment by loved ones in the same film. There is no similarity though, because one took longer than the other. You know?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

The location of Yoda, the fact that Luke has a sister......... maybe something else? I dunno, it's been awhile.

Duration of time spent being saved strikes me as an odd metric to compare. Like, thematically they are pretty similar ideas. Two characters are saved from imprisonment by loved ones in the same film. There is no similarity though, because one took longer than the other. You know?

The way the conversation plays out is that Luke knows that Leia is his sister before Obi-Wan tells him. Obi-Wan is the voice that Luke periodically puts on his own intuition.

It's not the duration of time, it's that it's incremental. Vader goes through a progression from wanting to rule the galaxy with his son, overthrowing the Emperor – because he can't bring himself to kill him – to killing the Emperor when Luke rejects him. A gradually evolving viewpoint simply doesn't fit with being reborn the way that Han emerges from the carbonite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Well Manicured Man posted:

It'd be kinda neat to see a pre-prequel trilogy chronicling how the Jedi could go from wandering do-gooders to servants of a galaxy-spanning government. Follow the viewpoints of a Jedi Master and their young apprentice as the Jedi slowly metamorphose into a strict "order" under the thumb of the Republic because the galactic Senate is like "God dammit, we can't have these warrior monks just running around doing whatever they please! What of their idea of "justice" is different from ours?"

You could have a generational conflict, too. Maybe the master thinks the Jedi becoming an institution and adhering to a strict Order is good, and the apprentice is a free spirit who doesn't want to answer to The Man. Or maybe the master starts pining for the Good Old Days of Going Around and Righting Wrongs, and the apprentice wants a more structured Jedi lifestyle with health benefits and a space 401k.

But it would have a lot of political maneuvering, so any Star Wars fans still sore over the PT and trade negotiations might react poorly.

Oh man, this would be my poo poo so much.

Get Tsui Hark on it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sounds better than the plots of all seven Star Wars films combined.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think the ghost being hayden christensen is better because thats what people know he looks like so it makes sense that they would show him like that to show hes anakin again

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

TWIST FIST posted:

i think the ghost being hayden christensen is better because thats what people know he looks like so it makes sense that they would show him like that to show hes anakin again

In my opinion, they should locate the Book of the Dead in order to resurrect Sebastian Shaw, the one true Anakin Skywalker.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The actual problem is that Return Of The Jedi is a bad film with a bad ending. That entire scene shouldn't exist.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Proposition Joe posted:

In my opinion, they should locate the Book of the Dead in order to resurrect Sebastian Shaw, the one true Anakin Skywalker.

thats hosed up

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah, the Force Ghost thing is lame

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rear end Catchcum posted:

But it's Ok to be on Nazi payroll?

he used almost all his nazi money to build low-cost housing in one of california's most affluent neighborhoods, he's one of the less lovely capitalists on planet earth despite selling his prized ip to nazis

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The actual problem is that Return Of The Jedi is a bad film with a bad ending. That entire scene shouldn't exist.

Nah; RotJ is a great film.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

It'd be kinda neat to see a pre-prequel trilogy chronicling how the Jedi could go from wandering do-gooders to servants of a galaxy-spanning government. Follow the viewpoints of a Jedi Master and their young apprentice as the Jedi slowly metamorphose into a strict "order" under the thumb of the Republic because the galactic Senate is like "God dammit, we can't have these warrior monks just running around doing whatever they please! What of their idea of "justice" is different from ours?"

You could have a generational conflict, too. Maybe the master thinks the Jedi becoming an institution and adhering to a strict Order is good, and the apprentice is a free spirit who doesn't want to answer to The Man. Or maybe the master starts pining for the Good Old Days of Going Around and Righting Wrongs, and the apprentice wants a more structured Jedi lifestyle with health benefits and a space 401k.

But it would have a lot of political maneuvering, so any Star Wars fans still sore over the PT and trade negotiations might react poorly.

For context, the old EU explanation (for what it's worth now, i.e. nothing unless recycled by Disney) was that the Jedi Order's activist faction (feudalistic, hereditary, independent) was basically demolished defeating the Sith Brotherhood, leaving more formalist Jedi (centralized, monastic, institutionalized) to ally with a resurgent senatorial Republic, to avoid the gone awry Jedi Army from returning.

I'm not sure the studio could be convinced of making such a political movie; might it be a book?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Let the Auralnauts guys make a Star Wars movie.

I want to see Creepio on the big screen with the Singularity Engine.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Homework Explainer posted:

he used almost all his nazi money to build low-cost housing in one of california's most affluent neighborhoods, he's one of the less lovely capitalists on planet earth despite selling his prized ip to nazis

I think it's lovely to take blood money and then bad mouth the people writing your check.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

Nah; RotJ is a great film.

Nah I agree, it's worse than any of the prequels and only barely better than TFA. Once everyone gets off Tattooine is becomes a huge huge slog, with the throne room sequences being the only remotely interesting thing about the whole movie

It's the only star war where I fast-forward through portions when I do a rewatch

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I think it's lovely to take blood money and then bad mouth the people writing your check.

nah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's the American way, friend. It's called selling out.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Attack of the Clones will always be the worst Star Wars film. Huge swathes of that movie are just a chore to sit through. Return of the Jedi has lots of cool stuff in it. Everything on Tattooine, parts of the Endor Battle, The Ewoks worshiping Threepio as a god, the Throne Room stuff. The problem is Marquand isn't the director Lucas and Kershner are/were. Still, It's better than any of the prequels.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Whack posted:

Attack of the Clones will always be the worst Star Wars film. Huge swathes of that movie are just a chore to sit through. Return of the Jedi has lots of cool stuff in it. Everything on Tattooine, parts of the Endor Battle, The Ewoks worshiping Threepio as a god, the Throne Room stuff. The problem is Marquand isn't the director Lucas and Kershner are/were. Still, It's better than any of the prequels.

This is correct.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whack posted:

This is correct. Return of the Jedi is a very good movie. Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film, but the Force Awakens comes in a very close second for me, if not outright ties with it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

This is correct. Return of the Jedi is a very good movie. Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film, but the Force Awakens comes in a very close second for me, if not outright ties with it.

NO obviously not only are the prequels better but also some of the best movies of all time

Dont argue with me I have all the comics

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hhhat posted:

NO obviously not only are the prequels better but also some of the best movies of all time

Dont argue with me I have all the comics

My apologies! Here are some screen caps from the prequels with MS Paint lines drawn on them to prove your point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whack posted:

Tatooine takes way too long to get going, and has the net result of "save Han Solo, who then does nothing for the rest of the movie but think Leia's loving her brother".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

So is this the thread for talking about Star Wars, or the thread for talking about your feelings about Star Wars?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

The way the conversation plays out is that Luke knows that Leia is his sister before Obi-Wan tells him. Obi-Wan is the voice that Luke periodically puts on his own intuition.

It's not the duration of time, it's that it's incremental. Vader goes through a progression from wanting to rule the galaxy with his son, overthrowing the Emperor – because he can't bring himself to kill him – to killing the Emperor when Luke rejects him. A gradually evolving viewpoint simply doesn't fit with being reborn the way that Han emerges from the carbonite.

But still, Luke would have no way of knowing about Dagobah without Ghost Kenobi, so Force Ghosts, dumb or not, are real in Star Wars.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My apologies! Here are some screen caps from the prequels with MS Paint lines drawn on them to prove your point.

I pardon you

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

So is this the thread for talking about Star Wars, or the thread for talking about your feelings about Star Wars?

I'd rather talk about how I feel about talking about how I feel about Star Wars

feels good man

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
The Force Awakens is a very competently made film and I enjoyed it but I have trouble judging it against the other Star Wars films. It's less of a character study and more of a balls to the wall action sci fi movie which is wholly different from the other films in the series. The first six films told a self contained story with a clear beginning and end. I never wondered what happened after Return of the Jedi because it was clear that's where the story ended. The Force Awakens feels tacked on. Like "oh and then this happened!". As it turns out, what did happen was just a repeat of the OT (so far).

But, if you're able to ignore all that, it probably has some of the best fight sequences in the series and the rapport between the characters is top notch stuff. Kylo Ren owns.

They're one and the same friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's both but we are all incredibly weird about it because we don't know anything about human emotion beyond what we have read about in a book or seen in movies.

• Locked thread