Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cythereal posted:

I keep seeing this talking about Frank and thinking they're talking about Frank Castle on Daredevil. Who probably is a Republican.

He does have a strong pro-death penalty stance at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Castle seems like a guy that complains about RINOS and votes for some fringe right wing candidate since he won't compromise.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Haha, Lyin' Ted Cruz can't even make himself heard in New York City.

quote:

ile things were heated in the streets outside a $1,000-a-plate GOP fundraising dinner — with 31 arrested — things were quite a bit cooler inside the ballroom with Republican high-rollers giving Texas Sen. Ted Cruz the cold shoulder as he spoke.

In video uploaded to Twitter, Cruz can be seen speaking to the crowd in Manhattan’s Grand Hyatt Hotel, but can barely be heard over the buzz of conversations and clinking of dinnerware as people get up and walk around while ignoring the candidate.

Cruz was the last of the three GOP candidates to speak during the evening — following New York City business man Donald Trump and Ohio Gov. John Kasich — and was likely shunned for his comments early in the debate season when he attempted a slap at Trump over his “New York values” only to insult an entire city.

Those who forgot that Cruz had attacked their city were reminded by Trump who was the first candidate to address the crowd.

“In our darkest moments as a city, we showed the world the very, very best in terms of bravery, heart and soul of America,” Trump said as he recalled the 9/11 attacks. “These are the values we need to make America great again … to bring America together again… to heal America’s wounds.”

Cruz’s attempt at an applause line, saying “I have not built any buildings in New York City” but has spent his life “defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights,” fell flat on the crowd resulting in tepid applause.

According to reporters at the gala, nothing went well for Cruz, with Buzzfeed reporter Rosie Gray tweeting, “It’s legitimately loud in here with people talking and eating and ignoring Cruz while he speaks.”

Daily Beast reporter Olivia Nuzzi tweeted: “It’s sort of painful to watch someone speak passionately to a crowd who wouldn’t even notice if he killed himself onstage,” before posting a picture of a member of the audience checking out his cell phone with Cruz in the background speaking, and adding, “Nobody cares.”

“Reaction at #nygop dinner to Cruz is embarrassing for both Cruz and the guests. Folks walking around, chatting w/ each other as he speaks,” tweeted Philip Rucker of the Washington Post.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh come on, it's not remotely painful if it's Ted Cruz. He's a ball of pure hate come to life.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It is when you, unlike Cruz, feel human Empathy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HootTheOwl posted:

It is when you, unlike Cruz, feel human Empathy.

As a goon, I am indeed capable of empathy for the man who bought 100 cans of Chunky Soup.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

As a goon, I am indeed capable of empathy for the man who bought 100 cans of Chunky Soup.

:mcnabb:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

deoju posted:

I want to say Hanks and Banderas don't even kiss in Philadelphia, and that movie was really progressive for the time.

Hell the gay couple on Modern Family didn't kiss for the entire first season and that premiered in 2009. Then they wrote a whole episode about it.

Modern Family is a bad show

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why won't the hysterical peasants be reasonable and recognize that Clintonian liberalism is inherently superior????? :qq: :qq: :qq:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/opinion/the-death-of-liberalism.html?_r=0

quote:

The Death of Liberalism

Roger Cohen APRIL 14, 2016

Liberalism is dead. Or at least it is on the ropes. Triumphant a quarter-century ago, when liberal democracy appeared to have prevailed definitively over the totalitarian utopias that exacted such a toll in blood, it is now under siege from without and within.

Nationalism and authoritarianism, reinforced by technology, have come together to exercise new forms of control and manipulation over human beings whose susceptibility to greed, prejudice, ignorance, domination, subservience and fear was not, after all, swept away by the fall of the Berlin Wall.

As Communism fell, and closed societies were forced open, and an age of rapid globalization dawned, and the United States earned the moniker of “hyperpower,” it seemed reasonable to believe, as Francis Fukuyama argued in 1989, that, “The triumph of the West, of the Western idea, is evident first of all in the total exhaustion of viable systematic alternatives to Western liberalism.” Therefore, per Fukuyama, the end point of history had been reached with “the universalization of Western liberal democracy as the final form of human government.”

This was a rational argument. It made sense. Hundreds of millions of people enslaved within the Soviet imperium had just been freed. They knew — everyone knew — which system worked better. The problem is that the hold of reason in human affairs is always tenuous.

Looking back at human history, the liberal democratic experiment - with its Enlightenment-derived belief in the capacity of individuals possessed of certain inalienable rights to shape their destinies in liberty through the exercise of their will — is but a brief interlude. Far more lasting have been the eras of infallible sovereignty, absolute power derived from God, domination and serfdom, and subjection to what Isaiah Berlin called “the forces of anti-rational mystical bigotry.”

Such anti-rational forces are everywhere these days — in Donald Trump’s America, in Marine Le Pen’s France, in Vladimir Putin’s Russia, throughout much of the Middle East, in North Korea. Representative government under the rule of law has proved to be insipid fare for an age that traffics in heady images of power and violence through solipsistic social media and online games.

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, The Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

Berlin, well before Fukuyama, identified a potential weakness of liberalism. In “The Crooked Timber of Humanity,” he wrote: “A liberal sermon which recommends machinery designed to prevent people from doing each other too much harm, giving each human group sufficient room to realize its own idiosyncratic, unique, particular ends without too much interference with the ends of others, is not a passionate battle-cry to inspire men to sacrifice and martyrdom and heroic feats.”

No, but as the framers of the U.S. Constitution knew, machinery of such liberal inspiration is the best hope to afford citizens a lasting defense against tyranny.

Liberty, however, requires certain things. Liberalism demands acceptance of our human differences and the ability to mediate them through democratic institutions. It demands acceptance of multiple, perhaps incompatible truths. In an age of declamation and shouting, of polarization and vilification, of politics-for-sale and the insidious submersion of politics in fact-lite entertainment, the emergence of Trump is as unsurprising as it is menacing.

No wonder Putin admires him. Russian authoritarianism is all about the muscular trappings of power and popular adulation cultivated through fawning media for a Czar-like figure. Berlin noted there was “some truth” to the conservative writer Joseph de Maistre’s view that “the desire to immolate oneself, to suffer, to prostrate oneself before authority, indeed before superior power, no matter whence it comes, and the desire to dominate, to exert authority, to pursue power for its own sake” are forces that are “historically at least as strong as desire for peace, prosperity, liberty, justice, happiness, equality.”

And so history does not end. It eddies back and forth.

The broad failure of the Arab Awakening — the greatest liberation movement since 1989, an attempt by Arab peoples to empower themselves — had many causes, but a central one was the absence of any liberal constituency in societies from Egypt to Libya. Even a country with a large middle class like Egypt was not ready to accept the mediation of multiple truths through democratic institutions. So power went back to the generals, and the Islamists — even the moderates among them — were condemned to prison or worse.

In Russia, and now in countries from Hungary to Poland, and in China, forms of authoritarianism are ascendant and liberalism (or even modest liberalization) are in retreat. In the Middle East, the Islamic State casts its long, digitized shadow. In Western societies beset by growing inequality (neo-liberal economics has also sapped the credentials of liberalism), political discourse, debate on college campuses and ranting on social media all reflect a new impatience with multiple truths, a new intolerance and unwillingness to make the compromises that permit liberal democracy to work.

The threat for liberal Western societies is within and without. Liberalism may be feeble as a battle cry, but nothing is more important for human dignity and decency.

Like, I don't even disagree, I'm not going to do the ironic tankie routine. But holy gently caress is the centrist liberal commentriat whiny. Jesus. They simply cannot handle criticism. It's embarrassing that this guy is an editor at the most prestigious journalistic institution on earth

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Riptor posted:

Modern Family is a bad show
I think it's just the right formula to move Middle America into more of a progressive mindset. Just like Will & Grace's magical homo helped remove the ick factor.

Heck, even that Nashville show has a plotline about a closeted singer coming out. So portrayals are improving a bit since the days of Creepy Dr. Smith (Lost in Space)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone who states that X is Dead better have put a stake through its heart themselves because it's nigh certain that rumors of X's death are greatly exaggerated to make the person's opinion seem definitive and cool, or the person in question is just really stupid and literally doesn't know better.

I'm going with the latter here, since only now is Roger Cohen catching on that the end of the Cold War didn't magically make everyone adopt democracy and defeat irrationality forever, as everyone figured out in the late 90s at the latest.

It's especially embarrassing since the article criticizes loads of countries except the US, with only the brilliant wisdom of the Founders getting a mention. :psyduck:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 15, 2016

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/breakingpol/status/720979437458747393

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Maddow wasa talking about this last night and the main trigger is apparently that Congress has basically said the city's budget won't even get looked at with Paul Ryan around.

Fun fact: DC already has a population higher than several states.

GOP will not be fighting for States rights this time because last I heard DC was minority majority.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

icantfindaname posted:

why won't the hysterical peasants be reasonable and recognize that Clintonian liberalism is inherently superior????? :qq: :qq: :qq:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/opinion/the-death-of-liberalism.html?_r=0

Like, I don't even disagree, I'm not going to do the ironic tankie routine. But holy gently caress is the centrist liberal commentriat whiny. Jesus. They simply cannot handle criticism. It's embarrassing that this guy is an editor at the most prestigious journalistic institution on earth

Liberal Democacy is not the same thing as "Clintonian Liberalism." He is talking about Liberalism in the international relations theory context.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RuanGacho posted:

Maddow wasa talking about this last night and the main trigger is apparently that Congress has basically said the city's budget won't even get looked at with Paul Ryan around.

Fun fact: DC already has a population higher than several states.

GOP will not be fighting for States rights this time because last I heard DC was minority majority.

DC is not a state, therefore they don't have rights.
- literally what the GOP says.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Anyone who states that X is Dead better have put a stake through its heart themselves because it's nigh certain that rumors of X's death are greatly exaggerated to make the person's opinion seem definitive and cool, or the person in question is just really stupid and literally doesn't know better.

I'm going with the latter here, since only now is Roger Cohen catching on that the end of the Cold War didn't magically make everyone adopt democracy and defeat irrationality forever, as everyone figured out in the late 90s at the latest.

It's especially embarrassing since the article criticizes loads of countries except the US, with only the brilliant wisdom of the Founders getting a mention. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's amazing how much wailing and gnashing of teeth you're seeing in this, TYOOL 2016, from centrist liberals as they realize the end of history stuff was bullshit 25 years after the fact

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this popular among the population? I ask because this is far from a settled question in places like Puerto Rico.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
The House wants to give Obama a chance to break out his veto pen once again.

quote:

A bill to outlaw abortions based on sex or race that Democratic lawmakers and advocates have called a “nightmare” made its way to the US House of Representatives committee floor late Thursday, where Republicans invoked Frederick Douglass, the Book of Matthew and Thomas Jefferson in arguing that abortions they believe to be discriminatory should be criminalized.

“It took the civil war to make the state-sanctioned practice of human slavery come to an end,” said Representative Trent Franks, the bill’s sponsor, at a House judiciary subcommittee hearing Thursday. He said that while the US has “made great progress” in the advancement of civil rights and bringing an end to racial discrimination, “one glaring exception is life itself, the most foundational civil right of all.”

The Prenatal Discrimination Act (Prenda) seeks to make it illegal to have an abortion based on the sex or race of the fetus. But advocates argued the proposal would force physicians to report on patients they suspect of having an abortion for those reasons without having any real way of knowing. They warn it would also effectively institutionalize racial profiling on the behalf of doctors and violate the physician-patient relationship.

“This bill is so horrendous that I could not believe it when it was first brought up,” said Representative Judy Chu of California. “It is a nightmare. This is a piece of legislation that would impose criminal penalties on providers and limit the reproductive choices of women of color and all women.”

She said providers facing the possibility of jail time for failing to report would be encouraged to report on minority women having abortions as a catch-all, and worried that it could also further discourage physicians from serving underrepresented communities.

Chu also pointed out that the committee is composed of all men.

“It’s so upside-down,” Chu said. “This shows that this is a male-dominated effort and actually points to the fact that there are men who are trying to stop choice for women.”

“This bill is bad on so many levels, the most obvious being that this is garnering a hearing in the subcommittee on the constitution and this is clearly unconstitutional,” says Miriam Yeung, the executive director of the National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF) and the only pro-choice witness called to testify before the committee. “This bill was created specifically to challenge Roe v Wade through creating a pre-viability reason to ban abortion. It’s extra horrible to do so under the pretense of trying to eliminate racial and gender discrimination when this is very discriminating against women of color.”

“They are blanketing our community using xenophobic stereotypes with what’s happening in India and China,” said Yeung. “In some states [that have passed such bans on the state-level], in the testimonies you’ll hear legislators on record saying: ‘We have to stop that from happening here. They are bringing those values to our country and we have to stop it.’ This is old-fashioned ‘yellow fear’, but not based on reality or fact.”

Yeung adds that even a woman’s off-handed comment to her healthcare provider, such as “I hope I have a boy one day”, could force the provider under the bill to “turn into a police person”.

:lol: these loving assholes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Is this popular among the population? I ask because this is far from a settled question in places like Puerto Rico.

Yes. It has somewhere around 85% support in the District.

The official license plates for DC have "TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION" on them as their logo. You have to opt-out to get one that doesn't say that.

Spoiler Alert: This process requires Congress approving it and it won't happen. DC statehood means 2 free very liberal Democrats in the Senate.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

zoux posted:

I think so. They don't have representation in the federal government besides the President that holds major power over their city. That sounds not good!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

icantfindaname posted:

Fukuyama is a poo poo and he was cheerleading for global capitalism, not liberal democracy. That said, liberal democracy is pretty great but that doesn't mean people can't be fooled into liking something else better.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Liberal Democacy is not the same thing as "Clintonian Liberalism." He is talking about Liberalism in the international relations theory context.

End of history liberalism in an IR context was pretty definitively proved dead when Dubya was elected 16 years ago. So it's funny it's taken this long for him to get the memo. Also he has multiple potshots at American domestic politics in there too

Kilroy posted:

Fukuyama is a poo poo and he was cheerleading for global capitalism, not liberal democracy. That said, liberal democracy is pretty great but that doesn't mean people can't be fooled into liking something else better.

How are you so sure these aren't the same thing? :smugdog: (okay i lied about the ironic tankie routine)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

zoux posted:

Actually, there's a question about if they can even go this route. If it were any other territory/possession then maybe, but as the "federal district" their status is a bit more...squishy.

That said, this would be the start of the process to get recognized. They'd still need Congress to approve it though, and the GOP will not be eager to grant them that. But if they are legally able to go down this path (see above) and if it's overwhelmingly supported by DC populace...well, "don't poo poo where you eat" may sway some of the votes needed. Maybe. Lot of GOP folks will eat poo poo and call it pastrami if Priebus says it is.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Statehood is extremely popular in DC, but it's been so demanded for so long that really active protest only really happens when someone manages to find a chink in the legal armor of the Constitution/the laws that govern the Congress-DC relationship and directs everyone to whale on it. As seen here.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Fukuyama is a poo poo and he was cheerleading for global capitalism, not liberal democracy.

Fukuyama posted:

What we may be witnessing is not just the end of the Cold War, or the passing of a particular period of post-war history, but the end of history as such: that is, the end point of mankind's ideological evolution and the universalization of Western liberal democracy as the final form of human government.

Western liberal democracy is still a very global capitalist-y form of liberal democracy. But.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This constant "sneaky" poo poo is getting incredibly aggravating. I use quotations there because it's not sneaky, it's blatant but we have to pretend that they are acting in good faith because who can truly look into their hearts and know if they are trying to make abortion illegal; of course an off hand comment is enough to prove a woman wants to kill her baby because it's a girl!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OAquinas posted:

Actually, there's a question about if they can even go this route. If it were any other territory/possession then maybe, but as the "federal district" their status is a bit more...squishy.

Congress could probably not straight-up convert the District of Columbia into a state without a constitutional amendment. What it could do is divest itself of most of the District, except for a 100% non-residential sliver along the national mall where the highest concentration of federal buildings are. Then convert what's left, now a territory rather than the federal district, into a state.

Alternate proposals have included retrocession to Maryland, which I don't think people in the district really are enthused about.

e: Living in DC for a while you see how utterly salty they are about the whole deal, it's hilarious. The DC government building has one of those electronic signs outside with the estimated taxes paid by district residents, ticking up every day like the stupid national debt sign. It's great.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

icantfindaname posted:

End of history liberalism in an IR context was pretty definitively proved dead when Dubya was elected 16 years ago. So it's funny it's taken this long for him to get the memo. Also he has multiple potshots at American domestic politics in there too

How are you so sure these aren't the same thing? :smugdog: (okay i lied about the ironic tankie routine)

In IR theory Dubya is absolutely a liberal democrat. Liberal Democracy has absolutely no economic connotations at all. Indonesia, Sweden, Norway, the US, Nigeria, and Taiwan are all liberal democracies with varying degrees of economic differences. Technically you could have a liberal democracy where the state owned most major industries.

Did George W. Bush advocate abolishing any of the following?:

- The existence of multiple branches of government with distinct roles and separation of powers
- A constitutional republic
- Elections with multiple distinct political parties
- An open society and the existence of private political and social organizations free of government management
- The principle of universal suffrage
- Legal rights for ethnic minorities
- Civilian control of the military
- The concept of individual rights, distinct from the government

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Western liberal democracy is still a very global capitalist-y form of liberal democracy. But.
Whenever Fukuyama says "liberal democracy" you can just substitute "global capitalism, by force if necessary" in its place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

This constant "sneaky" poo poo is getting incredibly aggravating. I use quotations there because it's not sneaky, it's blatant but we have to pretend that they are acting in good faith because who can truly look into their hearts and know if they are trying to make abortion illegal; of course an off hand comment is enough to prove a woman wants to kill her baby because it's a girl!

You'll have to cite a Democratic politician who thinks this is in good faith.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How about DC becomes a state, and at the same time, we split up Oklahoma into East Oklahoma and West Oklahoma into two solidly red states or something like that. That way we get some new liberals in Congress, but also an equal amount of new conservatives. It would be called some sort of Compromise.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about DC becomes a state, and at the same time, we split up Oklahoma into East Oklahoma and West Oklahoma into two solidly red states or something like that. That way we get some new liberals in Congress, but also an equal amount of new conservatives. It would be called some sort of Compromise.

This state is already bad enough, and now you want to make two of them?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

cheerfullydrab posted:

Can we add DC and remove statehood from Oklahoma instead? It's not like we're doing anything productive with our congressmen.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

BobTheJanitor posted:

This state is already bad enough, and now you want to make two of them?

Better off splitting Illinois into North (Chicago) and South (everything else)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Quorum posted:

Congress could probably not straight-up convert the District of Columbia into a state without a constitutional amendment.
Why would you need a constitutional amendment?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

In the Constitution, the District is defined as an area with land taken from the states. It itself is not a state.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kilroy posted:

DC's non-state status is laid out both in the constitution and in an amendment granting it voting rights in the presidential elections. Those likely need to change.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The District was created because Pennsylvania passed a law that said that any slave who was in the state long enough could free themselves, aka run away and thereby become legally free. George Washington, while President, had to keep his slaves constantly rotating between Philadelphia and his Virginia house so they would never be in PA long enough to become subject to that law. Slaveowning congressbabies wanted their own place where no nasty wasty state could mess with them like that, so, DC. The US was basically run by the southern states till the 1830's by the way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or say gently caress it and add Puerto Rico + US Virgin Islands as a state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If we're just going to go whole hog and start slicing up States over politics let's take a look at cutting up all the West coast States too. Let's just have a state party and let silicon Valley and the bay area decend into madness while East WA and OR lose all relevancy because they can no longer stick it to the cities.

• Locked thread