Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

mpaarating posted:

tldr goons kinda almost self-destructed but with significantly less humor than usual.

Exactly the type of explanation I needed, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

I love how they assume The Wiz was depressed.

I mean that evemail he sent was kinda sad and made me feel bad for him, but then again I'm too much of a pussy to even scam people in eve online.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

didnt he uh, admit to it prior

He may have in that eve mail. I'd need to read it. With that said the cynical nature of crocodile tears in eve numbs me to a lot of that stuff.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

evilweasel posted:

my general theory is that reddit is great when there's fairly objective or widely shared opinions on what is good (technical stuff, games where there's not warring camps, etc) and utter garbage when there's strong ideological differences (politics, console warrioring, eve online)

that said, there are not a lot of good ways on the internet to deal with strong ideological difference stuff - strong from-the-top moderation is the best available but it suffers from everyone viewing moderators as biased (tests show if you write a neutral article and show it to partisans of both sides they both think it's biased towards the other side) and self-selection into forums of comparable ideology (which is actually what you start seeing in irl american media)

The good part of reddit is that it's usually the first place news hits. With the attacks at the concert in Paris, they broke it before BBC news and had live updates coming much quicker than the established news sites. It really does seem that a lot of news related to whatever I'm interested in gets posted there before anywhere else.

I don't like digging into the comments because they are usually awful in a bad way.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

evilweasel posted:

somehow i don't think the reporter enjoyed his time with the game

In a masterstroke of meta-gaming, the article really did strike a blow at our oldest and bitterest foe. CCP

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

evilweasel posted:

how much effort, exactly, do you think it is to grab a subreddit that could be useful in the future

like walk me through what exactly you're hyperventilating about

if it's never useful it cost approximately thirty seconds of time

cravius posted:

Because the internal narrative coming from the top is so anti-reddit that this is way more of a PR hit than owning that subreddit is worth. Like seriously, for a dude that extolls the value of winning a ~propaganda war~ this was a poorly calculated move.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. But what do I know, I'm just a line member. So long as I get to shoot mans in space whatever narrative plays with the majority is fine with me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ApocalypseMeow posted:

The good part of reddit is that it's usually the first place news hits. With the attacks at the concert in Paris, they broke it before BBC news and had live updates coming much quicker than the established news sites. It really does seem that a lot of news related to whatever I'm interested in gets posted there before anywhere else.

I don't like digging into the comments because they are usually awful in a bad way.

This is pretty much it. Like the system or not, reddit lives up to its name as the "Front Page of the Internet". That's probably the single benefit of the gamification they have - there's a rush to be the first person to post a newsworthy thing, so that you can get the most upvotes.

Other than that it's good if you're bored and have already read all your SA threads for the day and want to see cute pictures of cats or something.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

how is anyone discussing the ibt article without mentioning the headline:

somehow i don't think the reporter enjoyed his time with the game

are you insinuating that the reporter is wrong to say eve is a boring game (he's not)

or are you saying the reporter is biased because he printed that CFC leadership were out to manipulate him from the start (he's not wrong here either)

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

are you familiar with the existence of karmafleet

consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, and who the hell is going to rend their garments over owning a subreddit with a fox-news style name counteracting the purity of our message when we have an entire reddit corp that's bigger than goonwaffe last i checked

And that's why the rest of Eve and a decent chunk of our alliance is laughing at y'all.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

That pretty much sums up how I feel. But what do I know, I'm just a line member. So long as I get to shoot mans in space whatever narrative plays with the majority is fine with me.

This space guild is in need of a naysmith, because it's been clear since the explanation of the Sion Article that "The message we think we are sending" and "The message everyone is actually reading, even our own members." is like waaay off.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 15, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

vyst posted:

Videogames is a miner too and he seems very happy.

I can confirm this!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

O/U 6 months until VideoGames gets a leadership position in GSF.

Unless it's Head of Space Puttering, I think this would be a huge mistake!

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
hey guys

guys

let's keep talking about Reddit.

Like, forever.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Daruna posted:

are you insinuating that the reporter is wrong to say eve is a boring game (he's not)

or are you saying the reporter is biased because he printed that CFC leadership were out to manipulate him from the start (he's not wrong here either)

i am laughing at how much the reporter hated eve and everything involved with it you terrible poster

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Unfunny Poster posted:

lol, you're dumber than I thought.

Alternatively, it's funnier to me and my terrible sense of humour than another copy pasta from Reddit

Daruna posted:

not once have I used an ignore or report feature because I'm not a bitch

Nope just bitchmade

Goatman Sacks posted:

Anyone else find it silly that I have to buy 200m more in skillbooks just to be able to use my carrier after the next patch? Youd' think they could have rolled fighters into support and light fighters or something.

Hear hear

Landsknecht posted:

yeah but people spend plenty to dress up their eve profile pics

I personally own about 20bn in skins...

...which I am selling at hilarious markups to idiots in jita.

I think the only skin I actually applied is the police comet.

evilweasel posted:

the only point of a cosmetic paint job is for someone else to see it or for you to see it, and if you want to see it in-station you can do that without paying

I too only paint the parts of my house that other people will see

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah kismeteer isn't really the gently caress people over on purpose kinda dude. Imo let him in with stripped roles. Tensions are high as gently caress right now. No need to eat our own.

:same:

nobody here by that name dumbassglobby :mad:

Sorry D34DT34R

also go be creepy elsewhere boney

Would you believe that outside of nerd communities full of people that are too socially awkward to deal with women people think that it's entirely ok to express attraction for a woman without it being deemed strange

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I never knew Lord British played eve somebody should gank him

Its a decent article with a few inconsistencies but it looks like the reddit brigade already vomited garbage into the comments section.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ben Smash posted:

hey guys

guys

let's keep talking about Reddit.

Like, forever.

ok

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i like /r/hardwareswap

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I can confirm this!

Speaking of ways to have fun, if you want to see cool stuff in space that doesn't happen everyday (at least in hisec) you should head down to the Amarr system and check out the honor guard ships.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011
How many members of Karmafleet recognize the juxtaposition of their existence and GSF top brass calling people who identify as Redditors and Reddit as a whole a "cancerous shithole" and True GoonsTM making GBS threads on Reddit and Redditors because SA is a "superior posting platform?"

Isn't Karmafleet full to the brim of afktar ratting alts and inactives likely on par with Waffe inactives? Do they know that they probably shouldn't rely too much on those numbers that show KarmaFleet has more characters than Waffe? What self respecting human being would sacrifice their time and assets to fight for a group that shows disdain at best for their choice of subculture?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Alternatively, it's funnier to me and my terrible sense of humour than another copy pasta from Reddit

Nope just bitchmade

Hear hear

I personally own about 20bn in skins...

...which I am selling at hilarious markups to idiots in jita.

I think the only skin I actually applied is the police comet.

I too only paint the parts of my house that other people will see

:same:

Sorry D34DT34R

Would you believe that outside of nerd communities full of people that are too socially awkward to deal with women people think that it's entirely ok to express attraction for a woman without it being deemed strange

stop replying to tons of old posts you retard

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Daruna posted:

How many members of Karmafleet recognize the juxtaposition of their existence and GSF top brass calling people who identify as Redditors and Reddit as a whole a "cancerous shithole" and True GoonsTM making GBS threads on Reddit and Redditors because SA is a "superior posting platform?"

Isn't Karmafleet full to the brim of afktar ratting alts and inactives likely on par with Waffe inactives? Do they know that they probably shouldn't rely too much on those numbers that show KarmaFleet has more characters than Waffe? What self respecting human being would sacrifice their time and assets to fight for a group that shows disdain at best for their choice of subculture?

Probably, but the nullsec alternative is being blue to you

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

i am laughing at how much the reporter hated eve and everything involved with it you terrible poster

if he didn't pepper his article with nuggets showing how he knows you tried to gently caress with him you would be pointing at it as a Great Victory right now instead of huffing about how another plan backfired

guaranteed

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

Probably, but the nullsec alternative is being blue to you

Extremely unlikely you would be blue to us.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Daruna posted:

http://i.imgur.com/BWThckO.mp4

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

reddit sucks. i hate it when small companies use it as their personal support page and make me go to it just to figure out their buggy software. dont go to a reddit please. thanks for reading.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dont respond to Dirk Action please

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Orange Red Bull posted:

Dont respond to Dirk Action please

http://i.imgur.com/xgXiOhC.mp4

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:a2m:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Daruna posted:

if he didn't pepper his article with nuggets showing how he knows you tried to gently caress with him you would be pointing at it as a Great Victory right now instead of huffing about how another plan backfired

guaranteed

the whole article was stupid and IBTimes is one of those weird online media platforms that are ok but not really worth reading

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Swinging in the back yard
Pull up in your fast car, whistling my name

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

the whole article was stupid and IBTimes is one of those weird online media platforms that are ok but not really worth reading

I'm told it's an airport newspaper thing? :laugh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Daruna posted:

guaranteed

oh he certainly went after mittens with both barrels but that was to be expected after that quote leaked

it's loving hilarious though how much he hated eve as well

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

evilweasel posted:

oh he certainly went after mittens with both barrels but that was to be expected after that quote leaked

It exposes how heinously normal this journalist is :stonk:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

didn't CCP bend over bacwards to hook him up with quotes and sources, then he took a poo poo all over eve and called it a failing, boring game? gj :ccp:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

They were super good at identifying the Boston Bomber before everyone else, too.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Open up a beer and you say get over here and play a video game.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

They were super good at identifying the Boston Bomber before everyone else, too.

we did it, reddit!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

didn't CCP bend over bacwards to hook him up with quotes and sources, then he took a poo poo all over eve and called it a failing, boring game? gj :ccp:

guess the sources gave him a little too much information

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mpaarating posted:

It exposes how heinously normal this journalist is :stonk:

All he did is print everything mittens said. Maybe it means that mittens thinks eve is a failing, boring game? :supaburn:

Daruna posted:

we did it, reddit!

indeed. we should all pack it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LuiCypher posted:

No idea how much of anything is true (being a scientist does that) but if they did succeed at that then how many more internet-crimefighter points do they need to catch up to 4chan?

• Locked thread