Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Crabtree posted:

When Trump fails the next will probably sell the job of a soldier as the best pay and the best benefits, free to all sign up for. But we can't bring back Public Works because

When Trump magically brings back those Steel Mills I hope they enjoy working in them for $1.50 an hour.

And holy poo poo those loving people are really saying the classic "At least he made the trains run on time" line without any hint of irony. Guess what dumbasses, just like how Mussolini didn't actually make the trains run on time Trump is not actually going to bring any jobs back from overseas.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

The Oregon Wildlife stand off proved that most of these people are chickenshits.

They'll go back and continue to die from old rage/ health related problem caused by being bitter balls of rage.

This is what I think too since outside of groups where they heavily outnumber their opponents they are cowards and have little actual power. A tiny minority might go crazy upon that realization and have a shooting spree but otherwise I don't think they will do much (not to be flippant on shootings but we have those all the time now).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mulva posted:

Yeah connected internet is a dying business, it made sense back when mobile networks weren't very good but now wifi is more an annoyance than anything. Honestly, when is the last time you used free public wifi?

most data plans aren't unlimited high-speed so hooking up your phone to the wi-fi is a good way of conserving data

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Crabtree posted:

When Trump fails the next will probably sell the job of a soldier as the best pay and the best benefits, free to all sign up for. But we can't bring back Public Works because

I was wondering earlier this year how many lovely opinions I would overlook in a politician that vowed to recreate the WPA.

EDIT: And the PWA

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 15, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I bet if you gave McCain a one use timemachine he would like 99% use it to not bring her to the national stage, just let her be a footnote in Icebox history.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

I bet if you gave McCain a one use timemachine he would like 99% use it to not bring her to the national stage, just let her be a footnote in Icebox history.

I honestly don't know if he would use it for that or whatever led him to getting caught and put into that Vietnamese POW camp.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

I honestly don't know if he would use it for that or whatever led him to getting caught and put into that Vietnamese POW camp.

So he'd go back in time and join the Texas Air National Guard? :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Politifact rates this as true: neither Palin nor Nye hold degrees in a natural science.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

most data plans aren't unlimited high-speed so hooking up your phone to the wi-fi is a good way of conserving data

Data plans are essentially unlimited for most regular users. My plan is 30GB with rollover data, split between two iPhones and two iPads and we never use more than 2/3 of that unless we are traveling.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

this is true, but bill nye is as much of a politician as sarah palin

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

computer parts posted:

Alternatively,

That looks like a tiny Texas off to the right of Washington

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Mulva posted:

Data plans are essentially unlimited for most regular users. My plan is 30GB with rollover data, split between two iPhones and two iPads and we never use more than 2/3 of that unless we are traveling.

I get 3GB a month so WiFi plays a very important part in my life.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

computer parts posted:

High speed internet* is available pretty much everywhere.

*For certain definitions, including the FCC's current definition.

Not really, the FCC updated it last year so I think it's close to 15-25Mbps and that's DEFINITELY not nationwide thanks to telephone companies using old lovely lines for DSL.

quote:

Separately, the FCC this week approved a new benchmark for broadband Internet download speed at 25 megabits per second, up from 4 megabits per second.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-comcast-time-warner-fcc-broadband-20150131-story.html

Also, the FCC agrees that high-speed nationwide blows: https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-finds-us-broadband-deployment-not-keeping-pace

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mulva posted:

Implicit: I, Mulva, user of a $10 dying comedy forum, am a regular user

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boywhiz88 posted:

Not really, the FCC updated it last year so I think it's close to 15-25Mbps and that's DEFINITELY not nationwide thanks to telephone companies using old lovely lines for DSL.

If you define availability as "you can buy internet at this speed from someone in your area" then yes, that's definitely nationwide.

Of course if you define it as "Everyone offering internet must offer a tier at that speed" then maybe not. Although I've seen 15Mbit DSL before (at least on paper).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is gonna sound sexist, but I really can't wait until Sarah Palin is considered unfuckable and then disappears

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
dude needs to cut it out with the bow tie, it makes him look like a cartoon or college republican

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was wondering earlier this year how many lovely opinions I would overlook in a politician that vowed to recreate the WPA.

EDIT: And the PWA

I'd be down for this too, because if someone like Trump pitched a proper massive public works project as a way to regulate the failures of Capitalism, I think it would make implementing the worst of his ideas impossible.

Thankfully that is totally off the table and instead he wants a nebulous toothless tariff war with our two biggest trading partners put on the credit card along with an enormous hand job to the rich :sigh:

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

dude needs to cut it out with the bow tie, it makes him look like a cartoon or college republican

Nye is one of the few who can pull off the bowtie. It counts as a signature item and thus accrues very few of the stat penalties that regular bowties have

Of course there exist some signature items that are notable for having more penalties than upside - the Sword of Chang comes to mind - but it's well established that the Nye Tie isn't one of them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

quote =/= edit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If the Republican convention uses Roberts's Rules I'm going to have to take off work to watch.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Epic High Five posted:

Nye is one of the few who can pull off the bowtie. It counts as a signature item and thus accrues very few of the stat penalties that regular bowties have

Of course there exist some signature items that are notable for having more penalties than upside - the Sword of Chang comes to mind - but it's well established that the Nye Tie isn't one of them

Nerd, Nerd, NERD! :toughguy:

Also, wow that Trump article. Denial, currently spread across America, not just a River in Egypt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boywhiz88 posted:

There's still something on the order of 95% of American households that have access to it, there's simply a lot of people in way the gently caress nowhere who aren't served, aren't likely to ever be really served by something on par with the suburbs and cities.

Largely because 50% of Americans live within about 2.5% of the land, and another 31% live in the next 2.5%. And then the other 19% live in the remaining 95%.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi, which is getting railed in the news (rightfully so - even though Gov. Bryant says everyone is "overreacting"), has decided to forgo any sensible legislation or repealing of our discriminatory laws and instead hit the really important topics.

Such as, should we be allowed to create Church Security Forces whose actions are immune to standard laws?

Of course the answer is yes.

Gov. Bryant signed Bill 786 into law today.

Look at this picture.

LOOK AT IT!

Gov Bryant, a Reagan book and a bible with a goddamned pistol laying on it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Quorum posted:

Implicit: I, Mulva, user of a $10 dying comedy forum, am a regular user

Yeah, there's no way. My kids go through that much bandwidth each on streaming videos. I'm not sure there's anything unusual about them other than that their ipads are 3 generations old whereas their friends have current-gen ones.

Low-bandwidth forum browsers are the niche minority now, the vast majority of internet traffic is youtube and netflix.

computer parts posted:

If you define availability as "you can buy internet at this speed from someone in your area" then yes, that's definitely nationwide.

Of course if you define it as "Everyone offering internet must offer a tier at that speed" then maybe not. Although I've seen 15Mbit DSL before (at least on paper).

That's not how it works. One person in your zipcode can buy internet at broadband speeds, therefore your entire zipcode gets a checkmark as up-to-snuff. Even per-capita availability isn't great, given how many people live in cities with completely poo poo infrastructure and dead-zone apartments.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

BonoMan posted:

Mississippi, which is getting railed in the news (rightfully so - even though Gov. Bryant says everyone is "overreacting"), has decided to forgo any sensible legislation or repealing of our discriminatory laws and instead hit the really important topics.

Such as, should we be allowed to create Church Security Forces whose actions are immune to standard laws?

Look at this picture.

LOOK AT IT!

I'm the tiny pair of cowboy boots.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harik posted:

That's not how it works. One person in your zipcode can buy internet at broadband speeds, therefore your entire zipcode gets a checkmark as up-to-snuff. Even per-capita availability isn't great, given how many people live in cities with completely poo poo infrastructure and dead-zone apartments.

How many people?

Studies I see show that consistently, people have access to higher internet speeds and just choose not to use them.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

Look at this picture.

LOOK AT IT!

this might be the whitest press picture since that one with the bushes and rummy and reagan all laughing in suits.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

BonoMan posted:

Look at this picture.

LOOK AT IT!

Fools, arming the Faith Militant was the main cause of Cersei's downfall.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

haveblue posted:

I'm really surprised that no major tech company has thrown up their hands and started their own non-garbage nationwide ISP by now. Google is trying but Apple, MS, Facebook etc all have the resources and incentive to do it.

Google basically makes every ISP poo poo themselves uncontrollably when Google turns its gaze towards one of their markets. Comcast is sending a bunch of hilariously bullshit info out to people in Atlanta for example. Also those ISPs tend to magically and concidentally bump up the speeds and services for those areas without raising prices. Somehow. :iiam:

Apple might be sitting on tens of billions of dollars but that doesn't mean they want to thrown 50 billion at trying to build out Apple Fiber when they're busy printing money from their current ventures that might see better returns from an injection of some/all of those billions.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

They've failed and have continued to fail in that regard, no? (Still lovely since putting up a fight puts so much cash down the drain.)

They've been far more effective at getting states to introduce protectionist laws that ban municipal fiber, although towns and cities have successfully fought back.

Tom Wheeler's also turned his sights towards these state bans and is looking for ways to have them struck down Federally isn't he?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

BonoMan posted:

quote:

45-9-101. (1) (a) Except as otherwise provided, the Department of Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified as provided in this section. Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance. Any person possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this section may carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or concealed revolver.

I hope I don't accidentally TFR the thread, but isn't a revolver categorically a pistol? I am not a Gun Enthusiast, but I thought that the sort of person who would draft this bill would know that sort of thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well you can't put a silencer on a revolver

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I hope I don't accidentally TFR the thread, but isn't a revolver categorically a pistol? I am not a Gun Enthusiast, but I thought that the sort of person who would draft this bill would know that sort of thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Apparently the ATF defines pistol as any handgun that doesn't contain it's ammo in a revolving cylinder so there was probably a need to CYA and make sure they were distinctly mentioned here.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

not to rehash this argument from 1.5 years ago but normally liberals are chomping at the bit to keep minors out of the court system *holds up one sock puppet* but it's not fair, black kids don't get the same treatment *holds up other sock puppet speaking with a deeper voice* yes i know but do we want to treat everyone as badly as black kids or everyone as leniently as white kids? *first sock puppet, silly voice* i just don't like the justice inherent in the system which may or may not be present here *other puppet, deep voice* yes i agree the world isn't fair but we shouldn't call for extreme punishment just to balance the karmic scales of our side vs. their side, besides it's better to give a minor a long probation term because you can't get paroled from that like you would if you hit the age of 18 in prison, the kid could have seen as little as three years of a long sentence

*holds up a paper bag full of poop* < this is you *holds up a picture of me* <this is me. *picture of me in my voice* I think that kid got off way too easily for a crime spree that ended in four deaths *paper bag full of poop in a mouthful of poop voice* OH SO YOU WANT EXTREME PUNISHMENT FOR A MINOR HUH????? * *picture of me* maybe there's a middle ground between keeping him in the environment that fostered the behavior his own lawyer admits is toxic and murdering him with a drill? *paper bag full of poop* YOU JUST WANT REVENGE RAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! *picture of me puts on a leather jacket and skateboards away to have sex with many hot women* *bag of poop* THIS IS A VALID DEBATE TACTIC!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BonoMan posted:

So churches can now have untouchable paramilitary security forces? Jesus.

At least the Church of Satan's response should be at least on par with their giant Baphomet. I'd be rooting for a mosque to do it, but that'll just end in tragedy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress yeah, I always said it would take a lot to get me to move to Mississippi but a chance to join a state-subsidized Satanic Church Militia is definitely up there

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gyges posted:

So churches can now have untouchable paramilitary security forces? Jesus.

At least the Church of Satan's response should be at least on par with their giant Baphomet. I'd be rooting for a mosque to do it, but that'll just end in tragedy.

Look, all the bill says is that any deaths that are caused while acting as one of the Jesustapo are considered justifiable homicide. It's not like they can steal your stuff legally.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Epic High Five posted:

gently caress yeah, I always said it would take a lot to get me to move to Mississippi but a chance to join a state-subsidized Satanic Church Militia is definitely up there

Maybe in the South's version of Snow Crash / whatever dystopian sci fi instead of big corporation-towns (because every smart company has pulled out) it's big denomination-towns as the enclaves of leftover society.

Stopped in at Lutheranville to buy my birth control and had to snake around on back roads to evade the Baptistville forces on my way home

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

Look, all the bill says is that any deaths that are caused while acting as one of the Jesustapo are considered justifiable homicide. It's not like they can steal your stuff legally.

Well obviously it's not stealing when Jesus kindly witnessed your departing spirit's wish that all your worldly possessions be immediately taken by the church.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mulva posted:

I've never even heard of a 30GB data plan, I don't know which carrier you have but that doesn't sound like the basic data plan that those regular users would have in the first place. I have Verizon for example and the basic data plan is a mere 2GB which would be exhausted in a very short time if you were streaming video or even downloading podcasts. Also when traveling through the city here in Minneapolis there are all sorts of weird dead spots or slow spots in the cell service, I often have to switch over to some random Wifi network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

whitey delenda est posted:

Maybe in the South's version of Snow Crash / whatever dystopian sci fi instead of big corporation-towns (because every smart company has pulled out) it's big denomination-towns as the enclaves of leftover society.

Stopped in at Lutheranville to buy my birth control and had to snake around on back roads to evade the Baptistville forces on my way home

Except this is already a thing. There's a non -zero amount of small towns and horror stories where a town sheriff ,the local church, and football coach are gods.

Also a Temple/some Jews should try the PMC thing, there's already major scandals in NY where a Jewish board of directors took money from public schools and funneled them towards the local (Jewish) charter schools and a bunch of other shady church sex abuse that the police and BoE can't touch for reasons.

• Locked thread