Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Well my CineD appointed therapist did tell me I have anger management issues as well, but it's in really poor taste to mock my mental illness like this so you should be ashamed of yourself.

Your posts were better when you focused on the movie and not the 1 or 2 posters who poked fun at you.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Well my CineD appointed therapist did tell me I have anger management issues as well, but it's in really poor taste to mock my mental illness like this so you should be ashamed of yourself.

It would be really cool if people like you got this upset over the Dr. Strange movie's blatant whitewashing. I guess urine is more offensive.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

It would be really cool if people like you got this upset over the Dr. Strange movie's blatant whitewashing. I guess urine is more offensive.

Haaaaaahahahaha

"You didn't like the piss joke? Well what about racism, you monster?"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Haaaaaahahahaha

Well, they're both yellow perils.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Haaaaaahahahaha

I didn't say he can't dislike the scene. It's just bizarre that he keeps harping on it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

I didn't say he can't dislike the scene. It's just bizarre that he keeps harping on it.

Given the absence of anything else fun or interesting about the movie, it's as good a topic as any. Like the space dildos from Man of Steel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I complain about people using made up catchphrases improperly, then I use a made up catchphrase improperly. There, I explained the joke. The joke is dead. Long live the anti-joke.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If he really wants a kid so much, he can just sedate himself, have someone surgically remove a sperm sample, and use IVF and a surrogate to birth a child.

He's a doctor, he should know that.

Except that part of it is that he's afraid that any progeny he had might inherit his Hulkism, too.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Equeen posted:

My best guess it that some folks saw that jar of piss and really wanted to drink it, and can't shake that urge, hence the cavalcade of very unfunny piss jokes in CineD over the past week.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

My best guess it that some folks saw that jar of piss and really wanted to drink it, and can't shake that urge, hence the cavalcade of very unfunny piss jokes in CineD over the past week.

Well, who wouldn't?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, who wouldn't?

Ugh, you guys are gross, don't be gross. I didn't want to drink the piss.

I wanted Holly Hunter to drink the piss. Get it right.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I'm just frustrated that a jar of piss is getting more outrage than a white-as-gently caress Ancient One.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

I'm just frustrated that a jar of piss is getting more outrage than a white-as-gently caress Ancient One.

The Ancient One isn't really new news unfortunately and it's kind of gone both ways. Some people argue that it is a good chance because the Ancient One was an offensive stereotype and others argue it is whitewashing. Both arguments were made when she was first announced for the role.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think people don't know what an Ancient One is and the movie isn't out yet. Meanwhile, Lex Luthor pees on his secretary's feet during The Bat of Gotham.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Equeen posted:

Posts a throwaway comment of how a scene is not good

Goon: "you know I haven't seen any reasons this scene is bad."

Posts some reasons the scene can be viewed as bad

Bunch of Goons: "Jesus christ dude why do you keep posting about this you need therapy, also what about Marvel's virulent racism?"

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Codependent Poster posted:

:flashfact: Cyclops' optic blasts don't have heat. :doom:

That's what you're gonna focus on instead of the fact that all these characters in the 80s are using modern technology???!

*furiously adjusts glasses*

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ImpAtom posted:

The Ancient One isn't really new news unfortunately and it's kind of gone both ways. Some people argue that it is a good chance because the Ancient One was an offensive stereotype and others argue it is whitewashing. Both arguments were made when she was first announced for the role.

Yeah, I totally get it. For all I know, the movie's Ancient One could be an interesting and multi-layered character who avoids trite cliches. But it would have been cool if this film that's clearly influenced by Asian culture had a few more Asian actors.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Still, one positive I think we can all agree on is that they put a woman in the role.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Still, one positive I think we can all agree on is that they put a woman in the role.

They also made Baron Mordo black, after comic book fans warm reception of casting Idris Elba as the traditionally white Heimdal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Phylodox posted:

Except that part of it is that he's afraid that any progeny he had might inherit his Hulkism, too.

Plus, do you really want a kid if the only way you can have one is to NOT have sex with Scarlet Johansson?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand I'm not entirely convinced Tilda Swinton is even human, I'm not sure what that does to whitewashing concerns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TetsuoTW posted:

On the other hand I'm not entirely convinced Tilda Swinton is even human, I'm not sure what that does to whitewashing concerns.

I'm fine with the Ancient One as an androgynous, otherworldly figure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
You should read some interviews with Tilda Swinton. She is either completely insane or brilliant on a level that the rest of us can't comprehend.

She has crazy stories about her and her husband being swingers and how happy she gets by just sitting and thinking about them enjoying their various lovers' bodies, because it is the ultimate human connection to live vicariously through. She also sold all the possessions in her house except for a bed and a couple chairs. Her husband / partner is also a painter and she has stories about sitting naked in the same room as him while he paints other people. She also lives in a castle in a remote area of Scotland.

She said she is planning on playing The Ancient One as genderless.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 15, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I complain about people using made up catchphrases improperly, then I use a made up catchphrase improperly.

Oof.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phylodox posted:

At least Hulk is totally cool with it. Shame about his wife and their baby though. Though it appears the baby did get better.

Unrelatedly, I wonder if Thor 3 results in Asguard floating above the New Mexico desert. That was pretty fun as I remember.

Planet Hulks and New Mexican Asguards, that's what I want.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I hear Vincent D'Onofrio is planning on playing his next character as physically large.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

You should read some interviews with Tilda Swinton. She is either completely insane or brilliant on a level that the rest of us can't comprehend.

She has crazy stories about her and her husband being swingers and how happy she gets by just sitting and thinking about them enjoying their various lovers' bodies, because it is the ultimate human connection to live vicariously through. She also sold all the possessions in her house except for a bed and a couple chairs. Her husband / partner is also a painter and she has stories about sitting naked in the same room as him while he paints other people. She also lives in a castle in a remote area of Scotland.

Both can be true and to be honest she brings it no matter what role she's playing, so that's fine by me. Her version of Gabriel in Constantine was excellent and I suspect will share a lot of the same characteristics as her work here, especially with ambiguity as a theme that stretches beyond gender.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Plus, do you really want a kid if the only way you can have one is to NOT have sex with Scarlet Johansson?

Also, children are really bad if you can't get mad. Like, Bruce could bask in the glow of Ithat special I'm A Dad feeling for the first few months but once the kid learned to talk back, hoo boy. Either it'll be Hulk City for the next 20 years or he will raise a total poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, children are really bad if you can't get mad. Like, Bruce could bask in the glow of Ithat special I'm A Dad feeling for the first few months but once the kid learned to talk back, hoo boy. Either it'll be Hulk City for the next 20 years or he will raise a total poo poo.

SON GOT BAD GRADES? HULK SMASH PUNY DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Snowman_McK posted:

Alternately, it will try for nothing ambitious, fail none of its objectives, clear the low bar it sets for itself, and thus be applauded for having few failings.

hey look it's the rationale for every studio tentpole this decade

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gyges posted:

At least Hulk is totally cool with it. Shame about his wife and their baby though. Though it appears the baby did get better.

Unrelatedly, I wonder if Thor 3 results in Asguard floating above the New Mexico desert. That was pretty fun as I remember.

Planet Hulks and New Mexican Asguards, that's what I want.

I'm sorry but Asgard was in Broxton, Oklahoma, not New Mexico. :spergin:

Edit: drat you, wordfilter!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 15, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry but Asgard was in Broxton, Oklahoma, not New Mexico. :spergin:

Edit: drat you, wordfilter!

Huh. Man, that sucks for the Asgardians, trapped in Oklahoma. Sorry, I don't want that at all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's a theory that Tilda Swinton is playing Ancient One because the character from the comic is offensive...... to the Chinese government. An independant and powerful Tibetan monk is not going to sit well with them but I guess Marvel figured making the character an androgynous white woman will make her look less like the Dalai Lama.

Speaking of race lifting, Tessa Thompson could be playing Valkyrie in Thor 3.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

My Valkyrie!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The MSJ posted:

There's a theory that Tilda Swinton is playing Ancient One because the character from the comic is offensive...... to the Chinese government. An independant and powerful Tibetan monk is not going to sit well with them but I guess Marvel figured making the character an androgynous white woman will make her look less like the Dalai Lama.

Topical crosspost from the GiTS thread.

Corek posted:

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Producers Reportedly Tested Visual Effects That Would Make Scarlett Johansson, White Actors Appear Asian

http://screencrush.com/ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-scarlett-johnasson-vfx/

According to multiple independent sources close to the project, Paramount and DreamWorks commissioned visual effects tests that would’ve altered Scarlett Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and make the Caucasian actress appear more Asian in the film.

It’s the latest, and most extreme, case of “beauty work,” the new trend in Hollywood to discreetly use visual effects to tweak an actor’s appearance, making them thinner, younger or stronger. The Ghost in the Shell tests were conducted by Lola VFX, the same company that aged up (and down) Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and is considered the industry leader in so-called beauty work. Though the tests were requested by the production team, once they were developed and reviewed, the idea was rejected “immediately,” says an insider.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Digital yellowface, what an age we live in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Fucbois come at me with your pedantic defenses of The Major being played by a white chick

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Renoistic posted:

Topical crosspost from the GiTS thread.

I blame the Wachowskis for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Welp, at least it's a way for older actresses to get more roles.

• Locked thread