Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jay Rust posted:

There's a room with like a million of them :(

Thanks though, I'll watch out for that

You can literally just walk in a circle around them when there's a gap and they'll never see you. Just stay out of the room in the lefthand corner because an enemy will scream and aggro them all.

GreyPowerVan posted:

hey guess whats great vs katanas guys

its parrying

There's always been a bit too much lag in these games to reliably pull off parries in pvp. If it was DS1 style auto-parry I could see it working, but having to anticipate the attack and start the parry early (especially if you are using a slower shield with better defense) means 9 times out of 10 you are just going to whiff the parry and stand there like a dumbass while the guy with a katana does a stunlock combo on you.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I am really bad at this game. I can't kill the first boss with my Herald...the spear is such a slow, weak weapon. I can dodge in and out and take him down to 50%, but after that I die when he goes all evil rat cloud saiyan.

I did kill him with a knight, so I know it's possible.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

So a friend of mine recommended this game and it looks fun as hell. My only real question that he waffled on is this:

Is this game grindy? Like I'm just done with games requiring me to beat the same boss 100x to get the right drop.

Thanks!

Even if you wanted to grind, you have fun options for doing so, such as sunbroing it up or being a summoned purple pal who actually kills enemies for the host (before ruthlessly murdering him).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just looked them up and the hexes look incredibly badass and now I'm questioning respeccing into int after all. Why is this game so good guys.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

There's a room with like a million of them :(

Thanks though, I'll watch out for that

Try Ranged, or Stealth. You can get through that room without any of those ever noticing you. Or just shoot them with a bow.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I have two curses from accepting the free level ups and now I just noticed my character's face is messed up. Will accepting more level ups and getting more of the curse cause my character to eventually lose half health?

Your stats don't change, and you get to do what you did 5 times. After that the Fire Keeper can reverse the effect for a really high price but after that you're back to never looking hollow again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does reinforcing catalysts do anything anymore? I remember in DS2 reinforcing catalysts actually made your spells stronger, but it doesn't look like that's still the case. Is there even a point to doing it?

Reinforcing catalysts increases the scaling, not the base Spell Buff, so it only really matters once your stats start getting higher. This is also true of the Pyromancy Flame. That said, once your stats get pretty high, you'll see a difference from reinforcing catalysts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, gently caress the Giant in the Cathedral.

His strikes are timed exactly so that as soon as I get up from the first one and my invincibility window is over, WHAM, there comes the second strike. It's basically like getting one-shotted, but far more frustrating because it gives me the illusion that I can just roll away, or something.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2016

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

OK a few people have asked similar questions and no one has answered yet, is there an infuse that gives a weapon int/faith scaling? Or a pyro spell that imbues your weapon magically?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sandoz posted:

OK a few people have asked similar questions and no one has answered yet, is there an infuse that gives a weapon int/faith scaling? Or a pyro spell that imbues your weapon magically?

Chaos/dark infusions scale with int/faith.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yo so people complaining about that one room in Irithyll Dungeon with the ton of those awful enemies: Did you notice in one of the cells there is a crucifix monster from the Road of Sacrifice? Well he's a prisoner and doesn't like his captors very much....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Abyss watchers phase 2 wasn't much fun until I realised a charged r2 did near half its health with my large club + 3. its a nightmare to heal in the fight compared to something like the fume knight that has much longer openings if you dodge its attacks

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I swear the game fucks with you on a meta level sometimes. I've been having fun lazily throwing down my sign and tabbing out to read stuff while waiting for summons tonight, getting my Medal count up. Usually I've been getting summoned after around two minutes, sometimes it's only 10 - 20 seconds and sometimes it's maybe 4 minutes at the high end. But now that I got to 29 Sunlight Medals, a scant one short of my goal, the game refuses to give me a single match for 15 minutes and then kicks me off multiplayer for no apparent reason, not even letting me place the sign. And reloading the session doesn't even help! drat you game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JetsGuy posted:

So a friend of mine recommended this game and it looks fun as hell. My only real question that he waffled on is this:

Is this game grindy? Like I'm just done with games requiring me to beat the same boss 100x to get the right drop.

Thanks!

Nothing about souls is ever grindy unless you say "I HAVE to have X hat!" and it happens to be a rare drop.

You may have to die on bosses a few times until you beat them, but souls games are more about player skill than stats or equipment.

WaltherFeng posted:

So eh, Road of Sacrifices and Cathedral of the Deep.

The levels themselves were fun but man, the bosses were incredibly underwhelming. I haven't fought a fun boss since Vordt. I hope the game starts to pick up the pace

Don't worry, those bosses are really cool but super easy.

The bosses of Farron Keep and the zone after the zone after it... heh...hehehehe.... Think Artorias.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How commonly are Fire and Dark resisted? I want to eventually get a Chaos Estoc for my Pyro, but am not sure if I should leave my Astora SS raw or eventually go Dark with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sandoz posted:

Both.

The Chaos infusion adds fire damage to a weapon that scales with Int/Faith. The Dark infusion does the same but with dark damage. There's a pyromancy spell called Carthus Flame Arc that buffs a non-magical weapon with fire. You can't use it on a magic-infused (like Chaos or Dark) or boss weapon, though, so you can't double-dip.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's basically "whenever they look at you." It's pretty brutal but there's a limit to how far it can take your bar down.

Oh, there's a limit alright

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm having trouble finding anything online about this. Are small shields/particular shields better than others for parrying? If so, where can I get them and is there anything better than whatever shield I happen to have on me available before the pontiff, since he's both difficult and parryable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where is a good place to farm heavy stones? I want ot change weapons but having infused it and being at 31 strength i imagine it'll do more damage than anything else i can upgrade although I still need more large titanite

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

Yo so people complaining about that one room in Irithyll Dungeon with the ton of those awful enemies: Did you notice in one of the cells there is a crucifix monster from the Road of Sacrifice? Well he's a prisoner and doesn't like his captors very much....

I enjoy that there is enemy infighting in DS3.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MooCowlian posted:

I'm having trouble finding anything online about this. Are small shields/particular shields better than others for parrying? If so, where can I get them and is there anything better than whatever shield I happen to have on me available before the pontiff, since he's both difficult and parryable.

Anything labeled as a "small shield" is noticibly better at parrying than a normal shield. I'm unsure if there is a difference between various small shields though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fhqwhgads posted:

How commonly are Fire and Dark resisted? I want to eventually get a Chaos Estoc for my Pyro, but am not sure if I should leave my Astora SS raw or eventually go Dark with it.

If something's real strong to fire then dark should be decent, and vise versa. You should be fine with one of each to cover bases. Raw not a terrible idea either though? :shrug:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Harrow posted:

Both.

The Chaos infusion adds fire damage to a weapon that scales with Int/Faith. The Dark infusion does the same but with dark damage. There's a pyromancy spell called Carthus Flame Arc that buffs a non-magical weapon with fire. You can't use it on a magic-infused (like Chaos or Dark) or boss weapon, though, so you can't double-dip.

OK that makes sense, so the Deep Battle Axe isn't actually a Dark infusion, its more like Fire in that it doesn't scale.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sandoz posted:

OK that makes sense, so the Deep Battle Axe isn't actually a Dark infusion, its more like Fire in that it doesn't scale.

Exactly. Deep and Fire don't scale, but Dark and Chaos do.

Incidentally, some weapons get loving awesome if you infuse them with Chaos. The Astora Greatsword gets A/A (!!!) Int/Faith Scaling. The Estoc gets B/B and also has its impeccable moveset.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, gently caress the Giant ion the Cathedral.

His strikes are timed exactly so that as soon as I get up from the first one and my invincibility window is over, WHAM, there comes the second strike. It's basically like getting one-shotted, but far more frustrating because it gives me the illusion that I can just roll away, or something.

Like are you trying to fight him, or just get by? Also are you on the second level, or down by his feet trying to get items?

If on upper level- just run. Maybe do a suicide run to grab those items, but otherwise just book it. He's slow. Don't bother fighting the enemies.

If trying to get feet items- constantly roll, and kind of roll between his legs. He didn't do many stomp attacks that I saw so it's pretty safe.

If you do get knocked down, there's a specific point in the animation where you can hit dodge and roll instead of slowly standing up. I want to say that was added in Bloodbourne, but maybe it's been around longer and I forgot?

If trying to fight- ... hahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This video makes me want to roll a sorcerer, but also this is the kind of thing that's only ever going to work when people are new to the game. Nobody's quite figured out the timing on Soul Stream yet so they just get nailed by it every time the caster has a chance to charge it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-R3-n5p6t0

EDIT: Forgot to add, this video has a pretty big location spoiler, so don't watch it if you're spoiler-averse or haven't gotten really far in the game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 15, 2016

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Since we're already doing ~~Fashion Souls~~ and showing off our characters, here's mine

Grizzled warrior dude plus bitchin' armor (Fallen Knight set is best Fashion Souls set) equals fun times.

You can also do...other things though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
To be honest I found the giants pretty easy to fight when you're at their feet. Their moveset is basically just Last Giant's except you move way slower but they also execute their moves slower. Just stick between their legs, if one is lifted roll into the other, if neither is there's some sort of swipe happening and right between the legs is your safe zone anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

If trying to fight- ... hahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Why wouldn't you fight them? Once you're down on the ground level they're easy. The one with the slimes requires a bit more care but kill them once and they're gone.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Is there a measurable benefit to finding Holy Knight Hodrick? in Undead Settlement? I'm terrible at sneaking.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Filthy Hans posted:

Your stats don't change, and you get to do what you did 5 times. After that the Fire Keeper can reverse the effect for a really high price but after that you're back to never looking hollow again.

Can't you just use the statue in the Undead sewers for like a tenth of the souls cost?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

codo27 posted:

Oh, there's a limit alright

So, uh, does that recover once you kill them/get away from them, or does it stay this way until you rest at bonfire?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
fighting giants in upper level is also really simple. it's just the ceaseless discharge. Roll and then hit him.

otoh this is might have been the first time i've actually been petrified in a dark souls game. that area in the sewer of the dungeon they just pile on you and fill the entire space with fart gas.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I swear, the more I do the upper part of Cathedral of the Deeps, the worse I get at it. Don't even know where I'm supposed to go yet

RabidWeasel posted:

The partizan is pretty neat and available early on (hanging corpse in undead settlement, you need to shoot it to get it down iirc).
found it, right by a bonfire I didn't find before, too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Malek Deneith posted:

So, uh, does that recover once you kill them/get away from them, or does it stay this way until you rest at bonfire?

The bar recovers, but your health doesn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Malek Deneith posted:

You get the space back but your life doesn't refill.

Thought it was pretty good I could 8-hit the first part of Nameless King but if I hit the thing right on its nose I can do 682 damage with a regular swing which should be able to take it down to 5 or 6. Too bad I'll be here all night trying to beat part 2!

Edit: you can even stun it and go in for the heavy attack backstab-esque thing

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2016

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I'm exploring Farron and sneaking past the crabs in the water when I find a keep, and inside are two fat fucks!
So we all roll around like idiots for a good five minutes while I whittle them down; I kill one, and when I finally kill the other (who heals via miracles, the fat gently caress), bullshit happens! You've been disconnected from Steam, return to the start, don't pass go, don't collect 200!
And when I load back in, the two fat fucks are still alive and well, while I've got only one Estus and half my life! AND I STILL MANAGE TO WIN, gently caress YOU COME GET ME :black101:
Thank gently caress there's a bonfire right down the ladder.

Aside from all of that, what does Hollowing actually do? Like, I'm at 12 or something. I've given the Fire Keeper Soul to the lady, and now I can heal it for a price. Is it like sin or something?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been tiptoeing the thread since I wanna remain as blind as I can but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing some branches off to more areas somewhere.

I've been through: Road of Sacrifices, Cathedral of the Deep, and Farron Keep so I'm currently looking at doing the rear end of a time that is the Catacombs of Carthus. I'm pretty sure I've probably missed a place somewhere though, perhaps an obscured exit from Farron Keep or Road of Sacrifices or maybe even another direction I haven't gone in Undead Settlement? Any vague hints would be cool.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Can't you just use the statue in the Undead sewers for like a tenth of the souls cost?

Yes, but that's temporary. You'll hollow again as soon as you die. The Fire Keeper can straight-up cure what causes you to hollow, though apparently doing so locks you out of the rest of the Yuria sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ometeotl posted:

If you do that you'll look human again until you die and you'll go hollow like before. If you pay the Fire Keeper's one percenter price you'll never go hollow again.