Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. I was convinced I'd seen Alfred Hitchcock Presents but it turns out I was thinking of Tales of the Unexpected. 90s Outer Limits had far too many alien episodes for my taste, but it had some good episodes anyway, and having thought about anthology story tv series I remembered even more I'd seen - Hammer House of Horror was fun but I don't think it was too ironic or jokey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tales from the Darkside is a fun anthology series. And while it's not an anthology, Friday the 13th: The Series scratches that same itch pretty well for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
13 year old me says Monsters was a great series. Current 41 year old me cannot confirm however.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I believe it was up on Hulu before (still?) but I'd recommend Amazing Stories as an anthology series. It didn't last long, but it's got some real heavy hitters involved in making it (Spielberg produced, wrote and directed some episodes, and there's episodes by Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Burt Renolds, Tobe Hooper, and a few more I'm forgetting).

edit-also Black Mirror may be worth a watch as well if you haven't seen it, although the episodes are more longish and there's less pure "twists" than a lot of the others.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 14, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

donquixotic posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was convinced I'd seen Alfred Hitchcock Presents but it turns out I was thinking of Tales of the Unexpected. 90s Outer Limits had far too many alien episodes for my taste, but it had some good episodes anyway, and having thought about anthology story tv series I remembered even more I'd seen - Hammer House of Horror was fun but I don't think it was too ironic or jokey.

AHP is much more clockwork in its pacing. So many Tales of the Unexpected episodes literally end on a punchline. You get the nasty joke and there isn't even a cut before the the goofy theme song plays.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alansmithee posted:

I believe it was up on Hulu before (still?) but I'd recommend Amazing Stories as an anthology series. It didn't last long, but it's got some real heavy hitters involved in making it (Spielberg produced, wrote and directed some episodes, and there's episodes by Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Burt Renolds, Tobe Hooper, and a few more I'm forgetting).
Amazing Stories was/is on Netflix, but a lot of people complained that it looked like a VHS rip.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Alfred Hitchcock presents rules because almost every episode ends on a nasty and terrible note, at least Twilight Zone got the odd sentimental or humorous episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jack Gladney posted:

The ones for sale for streaming on amazon are censored, even more heavily than the broadcast ones in some weird ways (David's sculpture dong in the intro, for example).

Booooooo.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I used to try to watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Nick at Night as a kid, but my parents always made me go to bed just as it was starting. I still remember the theme.

Gonna check it out tomorrow night... I gotta go to bed. :ironicat:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

New Outer Limits had a devastating twist 9 times out of 10. 80s Twilight Zone is tight as hell. Neither are on netflix so I'm useless.

There was also a great bizarro show on netflix that I forget the name of that was like a true crime documentary show like you'd see on Investigation Discovery or something, but fictional and featuring stuff you'd see in science fiction. So there's one about a fossilized astronaut with dog tags from the 60s found with dinosaurs that explains a time-travel accident like it's Dateline, with interviews with old guys explaining how they built a time machine back in the 60s. There's one about a house that eats people and a bunch more that I don't remember. It's a weird, kind of funny (but played straight) twist on the genre.

If you ever remember what this was please report back, this sounds fascinating.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

You might like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, which apparently has four seasons on Hulu and one on Netflix. Fewer ironic twists but more comic nastiness

Haha, I remember watching Alfred Hitchcock on Nick-at-Nite as a kid and being comforted by the fact that the killer was caught, even if I didn't get to see it. It's amazing you had to be a literal child not to see how much pandering to standards & practices was being done.

A few weeks ago, I was sick and watching the show late at night. It was an episode where this guy was an arts and crafts instructor at a summer camp, and this kid kept working really hard on a sculpture of a man, even if it meant constantly being late to swimming class. The head camp counselor kept scolding the guy and telling him he'd be fired if he kept letting the kid work instead of going to swimming class like was supposed to. I really couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, but the next day I looked online, sure that it was going to be some twist like the kid was making a voodoo doll or something. Nope, the "twist" was that he left off an arm on the sculpture, so the camp counselor finished it for him, and then when the kid's dad came to pick him up it turned out that the kid's dad was missing an arm and the kid was modeling it after him. Kind of a let down when I remembered the show being violent and nasty.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

david_a posted:

Amazing Stories was/is on Netflix, but a lot of people complained that it looked like a VHS rip.

It looks much worse than VHS quality. It is in bizarrely bad shape.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

It totally was, it looked like poo poo and was even fuzzy around the edges in some places. I wouldn't be surprised if some people (like me) liked it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

There was also a great bizarro show on netflix that I forget the name of that was like a true crime documentary show like you'd see on Investigation Discovery or something, but fictional and featuring stuff you'd see in science fiction. So there's one about a fossilized astronaut with dog tags from the 60s found with dinosaurs that explains a time-travel accident like it's Dateline, with interviews with old guys explaining how they built a time machine back in the 60s. There's one about a house that eats people and a bunch more that I don't remember. It's a weird, kind of funny (but played straight) twist on the genre.

Was this "Weird or What?" with Will Shatner and his Segway?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Was this "Weird or What?" with Will Shatner and his Segway?

No, I've been looking for it for days. It was discussed in the previous netflix thread, but I don't seem to have it bookmarked. The best way I can describe the show is if Dateline or Cold Case files were made in the Twilight Zone. It's a straight mockumentary news magazine show about sci-fi things.

Another I remember is about zombies in South America that turned out to be cyborgs made by the us army. There was also one about a group of autistic people on a mental ward who made a machine out of old junk that predicted events 60 years into the future. Also one that I think was about a landlord who got into a feud with the devil for some reason--all were told via Bill Kurtis-style narration, supposed stock historical photos, talking-head interviews done after the fact, and intentionally cheesy reenactments.

The house one was the most memorable--it was about a house that consumes the people who lived there and left Hioshima-style shadow outlines of their bodies on the walls and floors where they were consumed.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

david_a posted:

Watch the WW2 two parter episode if you want to see how you can utterly destroy a good story with a bad ending (also see video that runs at 15 frames per second)

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

precision posted:

13 year old me says Monsters was a great series. Current 41 year old me cannot confirm however.

It's much more even than Tales from the Darkside, which had some high highs and some really terrible lows (Kareem Abdul Jabar as a genie?), and there's more emphasis on the creature effects which vary quite a bit in quality but it's good, cheesy fun for the most part. There's a Steve Buscemi episode, too.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

No, I've been looking for it for days. It was discussed in the previous netflix thread, but I don't seem to have it bookmarked. The best way I can describe the show is if Dateline or Cold Case files were made in the Twilight Zone. It's a straight mockumentary news magazine show about sci-fi things.

Another I remember is about zombies in South America that turned out to be cyborgs made by the us army. There was also one about a group of autistic people on a mental ward who made a machine out of old junk that predicted events 60 years into the future. Also one that I think was about a landlord who got into a feud with the devil for some reason--all were told via Bill Kurtis-style narration, supposed stock historical photos, talking-head interviews done after the fact, and intentionally cheesy reenactments.

The house one was the most memorable--it was about a house that consumes the people who lived there and left Hioshima-style shadow outlines of their bodies on the walls and floors where they were consumed.

Dark Secrets?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thetedster posted:

Dark Secrets?

It was Dark Secrets! That was driving me nuts. Thank you.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

david_a posted:

The biggest problem was the frame rate, it was clearly running herky-jerky at like 15fps or something and it looked like a bad RealVideo from 1998. Which is a real crime because the whole thing about "Amazing Stories" was that it had big names and full cinematic production values for each episode. It's a great and great-looking thing normally.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I like Amazing Stories because it's like the one anthology show where the humor episodes are as good as the drama ones. The dude trying to make it to his child's delivery in full mummy makeup and the town thinking there's a real mummy runnin around or the one with the guy who gets a TV remote that makes TV real and turns his wife and son into Florence Henderson and Gary Coleman were great.

Tardcore posted:

Watch the WW2 two parter episode if you want to see how you can utterly destroy a good story with a bad ending (also see video that runs at 15 frames per second)

God, seriously. It's like the love conquers all ending to Brazil only without the excuse of executive meddling.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Tardcore posted:

That's the cartoon landing gear one, right? For some reason I had a VHS copy of that growing up (I think my dad actually taped it) and used to watch it all the time because I was really into planes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Guy Mann posted:

The dude trying to make it to his child's delivery in full mummy makeup and the town thinking there's a real mummy runnin around

This. This one right here, S01E4 Mummy Daddy, was the poo poo. Saw it when it aired and as a 14 year old I laughed like a motherfucker.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

This. This one right here, S01E4 Mummy Daddy, was the poo poo. Saw it when it aired and as a 14 year old I laughed like a motherfucker.

Mummy Daddy is one of the best standalone episodes of any show ever. I think it's the only VHS tape of recorded television that is still around at my parents house, because it still gets watched every couple of years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Enos Cabell posted:

Mummy Daddy is one of the best standalone episodes of any show ever. I think it's the only VHS tape of recorded television that is still around at my parents house, because it still gets watched every couple of years.

"The mummy's a daddy!"

"It's just like they say. You're never too old!"

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Holy poo poo was Housebound a fun watch. Thanks to whoever recommended that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Slandible posted:

Holy poo poo was Housebound a fun watch. Thanks to whoever recommended that.

Glad you liked it. It's one of my favorites.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

I really enjoyed The Hallow. I love a good creature feature, the more unusual the creature the better, and this movie delivered in spades. motherfucking spriggans hell yes. Plus as mentioned it was competently made, with solid performances & special effects.

Hush is another recent horror flick that Netflix recommended highly (4 stars) that I didn't like nearly as much. The premise and performances are solid, but it just failed to do anything interesting with the tension & dread it built up in the first 20 minutes.

I LOVED Hush. Being deaf, it was great to see a horror movie premise I could connect to. Made it all that more horrifying.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are some great action movies on Netflix?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Unforgiven is still up, last I checked, and it's a borderline crime if you've never seen it. Hot Fuzz is great, and I think The Crow went up again a few months ago.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird is fun.

(everybody likes Song Kang-Ho)

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 17, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Running Man and Escape From LA for your dystopian sci fi action fix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Short Penguin posted:

I LOVED Hush. Being deaf, it was great to see a horror movie premise I could connect to. Made it all that more horrifying.

I just watched this, and it is really excellent.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Franchescanado posted:

Several late '80s/early '90s Jackie Chan movies are up, like Drunken Master and Supercop and Operation Condor.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is such a trite thing to say about a comedian but he really is killer at impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyEAz41-14

While I can't find a good link, this reminds me of how Bobcat Goldthwait does a surprisingly amazing Bono impression.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

The Hunted
Uncommon Valor
Armour of God
Armour of God 2 Operation Condor
Heroic Trio
Iron Monkey
Project A
Project A 2
Legend of Drunken Master
Wing Chun
Darkman
Big Trouble in Little China
Falcon Rising

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Joe Bob Briggs devoted like 20 minutes to explaining the theater and its history when he showed Pee Wee's Big Adventure on Monstervision. That man know his smut.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx0ijwAvow

flashing back to trying to adjust the vert hold on my parents' TV. Also Joe Bob Briggs vaguely reminds me of Norm McDonald.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Short Penguin posted:

I too watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Both this and Housebound were really good suggestions, I love a well thought out horror/thriller flick.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

If you liked Hush, Mike Flanagan's other two horror movies Oculus and (the extremely low budget) Absentia are also on Netflix. They're geared more in the supernatural direction, but the dude really knows how to create tension.

As for The Hallow, I thought it was very not good. It was predictable, all of the characters were incredibly dumb, and the creatures seemed to only act in a way that would drive the story forward, and not how vengeful malevolent fairies would act. Also I felt like I was watching The New Daughter all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

God Hole posted:

As for The Hallow, I thought it was very not good. It was predictable, all of the characters were incredibly dumb, and the creatures seemed to only act in a way that would drive the story forward, and not how vengeful malevolent fairies would act. Also I felt like I was watching The New Daughter all over again.

I didn't like this one either. It was decent through the initial couple of scares, but it really fell apart for me about a third of the way through.

I felt bored and just wanted it to end. It sucks because I like the premise and setting.