Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I've never even heard of a 30GB data plan, I don't know which carrier you have but that doesn't sound like the basic data plan that those regular users would have in the first place. I have Verizon for example and the basic data plan is a mere 2GB which would be exhausted in a very short time if you were streaming video or even downloading podcasts. Also when traveling through the city here in Minneapolis there are all sorts of weird dead spots or slow spots in the cell service, I often have to switch over to some random Wifi network.

Verizon's 30gb data plan is around $250/mo. The kind of plan that costs as much as a car payment is "average" apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

computer parts posted:

And how many people does this effect?

I know it covers most of the Dakotas (geographically). We looked at moving outside of town to a much smaller town. Our only options out there were dsl and satellite. Granted, century link has some pretty decent speed (good enough to stream, probably not good enough to be top ranked in CoD), but there is only one cable provider in the eastern half of the state (midcontinent...And golden West, which uses cable run by midco). You have four options for tv....midco, dish, directv, or antenna. For internet it's midco, century link, or 4g.

There are even whole swaths of places where you can *only* get 4g, they don't even have dsl. Admittedly, it's all ranch land, but it's almost a third of the state geographically. And 4g out here is A) not even fast enough to really stream on, and b) capped worse than most cell phone plans.

At least there is now obamanet to go with our obamaphone. $10/mo for unlimited 25mbs down.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It'll make checking birth certificates outside bathrooms a hell of a lot easier with an army of fat, white Templars.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

How many people?

Studies I see show that consistently, people have access to higher internet speeds and just choose not to use them.

I'm talking about actual availability. Not everyone may want the highest speeds, but "internet access able to meet the federal definition of broadband" is something that should be available if you want it. I can't get it where I live, in fact - no plan offered meets the 3mbit upload, even $150/month super-premium.

Unfortunately, the official FCC broadband coverage marks an entire zipcode good if even one house can get it, so the actual decent provider in the center of town makes our entire area wired.

This is the site, and I was wrong, it's not zipcode it's census block. It doesn't appear to have been updated with the new ruling either, it defines broadband as 768/256k DSL.

Tons of horror stories about finding your neighbor across the street can get much better service than you because ~~~reasons~~~. The big killer though is old apartment buildings in ancient areas - internet monopoly blames landlord, landlord gives exactly zero shits and doesn't push back, no service (or hilariously awful sub-megabit service)

My dad's stuck in an area like that - due to the subdevelopment having their own micro-cable monopoly and incredibly old copper, he can't get cable internet and the DSL tops out at 750k or so. He's gotten on the HOA specifically to destroy the non-profitable micro-cable business and get a real provider in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harik posted:

I'm talking about actual availability. Not everyone may want the highest speeds, but "internet access able to meet the federal definition of broadband" is something that should be available if you want it. I can't get it where I live, in fact - no plan offered meets the 3mbit upload, even $150/month super-premium.

Yeah I am talking about actual availability. Going by that map, unless you live in the Census defined Rural areas you're going to have access to DOCSIS-3.0 aka fast cable internet.

AA is for Quitters posted:

I know it covers most of the Dakotas (geographically). We looked at moving outside of town to a much smaller town. Our only options out there were dsl and satellite.

Strange since they have the infrastructure built.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Actually reading the law it makes the church security member immune from Civil liability.

Section 1, Subsection 3 posted:

(3) A person who is indicted or charged with a violation of criminal law while acting as a member of a security program of a church or place of worship may assert as a defense, in addition to any other defense available, that at the time of the action in question, the person was a member of a church body or place of worship security program, was then actually engaged in the performance of the person's duties as a member of the program, and had met the requirements of this section at the time of the action in question.
Meaning they can still be charged with a criminal law, but being on the church security during the time of violation can be used as a defense. Whether or not the police, jury, or judge believes this is a valid defense would be on them correct?

Luckily they can only carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers and must have the state issued license on them while on duty. If they don't:

Section 2, Subsection 1, subsection (b) posted:

A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons

Thank god for that check and balance. Not to mention a person that has violated any drug law or two alcohol related laws in a three year period may not be issued a license.

That said it is a super lovely law that will be abused to commit racist acts, religious coercion, or even worse.
What if an entire town is declared a constituted religious society and its citizens the congregation of the duly elected ecclesiastical body? Can that even be done?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RuanGacho posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining any scenario that doesn't involve that old southpark episode meme They're comin' right fer us! In which these people don't somehow gun down a bus full of Mexican children.

Its the Stand Your Ground church edition. It makes no goddamn sense.

It does if you see a.) Good Guys with Guns as arbiters of justice and b.) Christianity is under attack in America as per conservative talk radio and needs to be defended with extreme prejudice.

A lot of this poo poo makes no sense if you just stick to your viewpoint but a lot more sense if you try imagine the world from the perspective of a Freeper and the like.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If these church defenders aren't in full plate or chain armor and using maces I'm sorry but I can't take it seriously.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I want to say that the medieval Church forbade use of weapons inside churches on pain of excommunication, but I can't find a reference at the moment.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

Yeah I am talking about actual availability. Going by that map, unless you live in the Census defined Rural areas you're going to have access to DOCSIS-3.0 aka fast cable internet.

This is what I attempted to beat into your thick skull: SOMEONE in a census block has modern internet. It doesn't mean that YOU do. Literally a single person with a cablemodem that happens to be right on the edge of a block makes the entire block "connected". It's a real problem because the infrastructure is so spotty in places. Some areas, sure, the entire county has good internet availability. Others it's just a few gated communities.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I want to say that the medieval Church forbade use of weapons inside churches on pain of excommunication, but I can't find a reference at the moment.

According in D&D it was only bladed weapons and that's good enough for me. :colbert:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm gunna be honest the whole thing with ISPs is pure grade bullshit until it's all symmetrical download and upload. My sci fi future doesn't have end user agreements that I can't dispense data to peers because it might make the ISPs have to provide a comprehensive service.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

This is what I attempted to beat into your thick skull: SOMEONE in a census block has modern internet. It doesn't mean that YOU do. Literally a single person with a cablemodem that happens to be right on the edge of a block makes the entire block "connected". It's a real problem because the infrastructure is so spotty in places. Some areas, sure, the entire county has good internet availability. Others it's just a few gated communities.

By far the majority of the time this isn't happening though. Because census blocks are explicitly designed to group together similar situations, and to cover very small populations.

It's also worth pointing out: if you're living in similarly nowhere rural environments in other countries you're similar going to have lovely access.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I think there's some black church in Arkansas that got burnt exactly for doing this back in the 20s

The Elaine Massacre? That was a labor union thing piled on top of a race thing, although it did start with a shootout outside a church.

Encyclopedia of Arkansas posted:

From this point forward, two versions of what occurred at Elaine exist. The white leaders put forward their view that black residents had been about to revolt. E. M. Allen, a planter and real estate developer who became the spokesman for Phillips County's white power structure, told the Helena World on October 7, “The present trouble with the Negroes in Phillips County is not a race riot. It is a deliberately planned insurrection of the Negroes against the whites directed by an organization known as the ‘Progressive Farmers and Household Union of America,’ established for the purpose of banding Negroes together for the killing of white people.”

On the other hand, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in New York, which had sent Field Secretary Walter White to investigate the events in Elaine, contested such allegations from the outset. White wrote in the Chicago Daily News on October 19, 1919, that the belief there had been an insurrection was “only a figment of the imagination of Arkansas whites and not based on fact.” He said, “White men in Helena told me that more than one hundred Negroes were killed.”

Within days of the initial shoot-out, 285 African Americans were taken from the temporary stockades to the jail in Helena, the county seat, although the jail had space for only forty-eight. Two white members of the Phillips County posse, T. K. Jones and H. F. Smiddy, stated in sworn affidavits in 1921 that they committed acts of torture at the Phillips County jail and named others who had also participated in the torture. On October 31, 1919, the Phillips County grand jury charged 122 African Americans with crimes stemming from the racial disturbances. The charges ranged from murder to nightriding, a charge akin to terroristic threatening. The trials began the next week. White attorneys from Helena were appointed by Circuit Judge J. M. Jackson to represent the first twelve black men to go to trial. Attorney Jacob Fink, who was appointed to represent Frank Hicks, admitted to the jury that he had not interviewed any witnesses. He made no motion for a change of venue, nor did he challenge a single prospective juror, taking the first twelve called. By November 5, 1919, the first twelve black men given trials had been convicted of murder and sentenced to die in the electric chair. As a result, sixty-five others quickly entered plea-bargains and accepted sentences of up to twenty-one years for second-degree murder. Others had their charges dismissed or ultimately were not prosecuted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harik posted:

And you haven't proven this, you've given an anecdote.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Radish posted:

If these church defenders aren't in full plate or chain armor and using maces I'm sorry but I can't take it seriously.

If they had any real faith they'd boldly face the terrifying blacks/Muslims without any physical protection, secure in their faith. Say what you will about rural Pentacostalism, they at least truely believe in the power of the Holy Spirit. Once you've drunk the poison and handled the viper, what's a 9mm got for you?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Radish posted:

Anyone who isn't using THAC0 is a heretic and will be purged

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

http://dakotacarrier.com/network-maps/ they really don't though[/url]

Unless you're in a larger city you're not going to see fiber in most of the state of North Dakota. South Dakota is even worse, since most of the middle of the state is all rez, and no one gives a gently caress about providing any services to the rez.

It's sad that around here there are youth groups that have done mission trips to pine ridge, and said that the infrastructure there is worse than the infrastructure in haiti and Guatemala.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 16, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

And you haven't proven this, you've given an anecdote.
Gee, I'm sorry, I only linked you to the broadband map directly. Let me help you read it as well:

official FCC broadband map posted:

What does the list of broadband providers in this area mean?

These are broadband providers that offer service in the census block for the address that you searched. For large Census Blocks, the page displays results by road segment. If you enter a city, zip code, county or any other geography this is not a street address, the website will display providers offering service in the census block in the center of that area.

The search results will be listed in order from fastest available speed to lowest available speed, separating those with speeds advertised above 3 Mbps and those below 3 Mbps.

If I enter a street address on the homepage, do the results show a list of broadband providers only for my address?

The website will display the broadband providers that reported offering service in the census block or for blocks larger than two square miles road segment for that address. For more information, see the previous question.

So I actually overstated it a bit - they don't actually have to provide service to a single household in the census block, just report it as part of their coverage. That's why the 1gbit fiber provider listed so prominently at the top of my search for my address doesn't service my street - or indeed anywhere that's not in a specific subdivision.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Edit: WTF? I refreshed three times and my post was gone, so I recovered and tried again, and now it shows up? Obviously the fault of my lovely broadband. :ohdear:

fishmech posted:

By far the majority of the time this isn't happening though. Because census blocks are explicitly designed to group together similar situations, and to cover very small populations.
ng to have lovely access.

As pointed out before, it only takes 99% coverage to leave 4 million Americans without. Dead-zones inside cities are not some imaginary thing, there's always tons of horror stories on DSLreports about people trying to get a connection in the middle of town.

I'll be clearer on my own situation - I can get cable, (or maybe DSL) but not the good fiber. I've got 30/3 which is only really bad on the upload side when I want to send video to facebook or youtube.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 16, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

Anyone who isn't using THAC0 is a heretic and will be purged

Save vs rod/staff/wand. :gay:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

As pointed out before, it only takes 99% coverage to leave 4 million Americans without. Dead-zones inside cities are not some imaginary thing, there's always tons of horror stories on DSLreports about people trying to get a connection in the middle of town.

Yeah that's what happens when 19% of the country lives in the remaining 95% of the country's land mass. Also dead-zones inside cities are increasingly rare (less than 1% of the nationwide city population, and mostly concentrated in less dense cities).

I know people who live in London, UK who had to wait over a year to get broadband internet installed to their flat in the past year, and people living out on farms in Germany that have to rely on their cell phones for connectivity still in 2016. America isn't special in how there's missed connectivity, and frankly 100% connectivity is going to be impossible unless we choose to pretend that Satellite and Cellular connections are "good enough" to count.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

100% connectivity is going to be impossible unless we choose to pretend that Satellite and Cellular connections are "good enough" to count.

Which I believe Finland (or whoever put broadband in their "list of human rights") does.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer parts posted:

Which I believe Finland (or whoever put broadband in their "list of human rights") does.

Their definition for purposes of that also deems 1 megabit service to qualify, on top.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Harik posted:

Edit: WTF? I refreshed three times and my post was gone, so I recovered and tried again, and now it shows up? Obviously the fault of my lovely broadband. :ohdear:

I'll be clearer on my own situation - I can get cable, (or maybe DSL) but not the good fiber. I've got 30/3 which is only really bad on the upload side when I want to send video to facebook or youtube.

I've had my Verizon phone calls go dead across the street from the World Trade Center, which is also across the street from Verizon headquarters I believe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Radish posted:

the last thing I want is one of these nimrods to learn Hold Person

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

drat. This is what those Knights of Columbus have been planning all along carrying their swords around this whole time, isn't it?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure cults will love to hear about this so they can make their armed compound perfectly legal. Guess Mississippi wants to attract the likes of Scientology to become their new state government or allow Jehovah Witnesses to enforce Disfellowship with guns.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey I have a stupid question.

I recently learned that this year is the year that a species of cicada that sleep for 17 years wakes up.

Ohio already had it's primary, but Pennsylvania and West Virginia are happening later. Are there any studies/predictions on how primary people might vote when notable natural events happen?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PhazonLink posted:

I recently learned that this year is the year that a species of cicada that sleep for 17 years wakes up.

Ohio already had it's primary, but Pennsylvania and West Virginia are happening later. Are there any studies/predictions on how primary people might vote when notable natural events happen?

I don't believe anyone has demonstrated a correlation between cicada emergence events and election results, no.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PhazonLink posted:

I'm going to guess not, since primaries only happen every four years (contentious primaries are even less common) and the odds of a rare natural event coinciding with one wouldn't get you a very good sample size.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PhazonLink posted:

You should do that study yourself, become the Nate Silver of fascinatingly weird link-drawing. Get candidates bickering about whether the debate should fall before or after the peak of bullfrog mating season.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So I shouldn't worry that fundies somehow get an amazing turnout(and somehow convince non fundies in Nov) because this is "sign from god to vote for ______".

Sorry for Arzying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhazonLink posted:

So I shouldn't worry that fundies somehow get an amazing turnout(and somehow convince non fundies in Nov) because this is "sign from god to vote for ______".

Sorry for Arzying.

Fundies already vote. There is no Silent Majority.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crabtree posted:

I'm pretty sure cults will love to hear about this so they can make their armed compound perfectly legal. Guess Mississippi wants to attract the likes of Scientology to become their new state government or allow Jehovah Witnesses to enforce Disfellowship with guns.

Well, that does make this moderately less funny.

Let's see. Text of bill: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/0700-0799/HB0786SG.pdf

quote:

The governing body of any church or place of
worship may establish a security program by which designated
members are authorized to carry firearms for the protection of the
congregation of the church or place of worship.
A church or place of worship may establish a security program that
meets the requirements of subsection (2)(b) of this section, and a
member of the security program shall be immune from civil
liability for any action taken by a member of the security program
if the action in question occurs during the reasonable exercise of
and within the course and scope of the member's official duties as
a member of the security program for the church or place of
worship.

Requirements of the security program: A) participants must be licensed and have passed a safety training course (the latter of which strikes me as Big Government Tyranny); B) a list of security paramilitary goons staff must be maintained, and shared with police in the event of a firearms incident.

That's it.

So yeah, I foresee some very creative use of this statute.

Edit: oh and the security thing is also a criminal defense under the same conditions as above.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 16, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You should do that study yourself, become the Nate Silver of fascinatingly weird link-drawing. Get candidates bickering about whether the debate should fall before or after the peak of bullfrog mating season.

If I did the math right, the last time it happened was 68 years ago, so it was 1948 and Truman won a hotly contested reelection, so he might be on to something

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Quorum posted:

I don't believe anyone has demonstrated a correlation between cicada emergence events and election results, no.

What the gently caress are we even paying these nerds to do? Play Galaga on their calculator watches???

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

quote:

A Republican pushing a law to ban trans women from bathrooms in Tennessee is himself being treated as a danger to women, and has been put in seclusion because of alleged harassment of female lawmakers.

http://www.advocate.com/politicians/2016/4/11/cosponsor-tennessees-transphobic-bill-accused-sexual-harassment

*dies laughing*

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Because it's always hilarious to watch Bill O'Reilly and the rest of the Fox folks be flabbergasted by facts from their own network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKPKGENLww&t=5s

The look on his face at like 53 seconds.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

I find it highly unlikely that someone doesn't have a list of odd natural phenomena and their correlation with elections. We get scads of uselessass correlations every cycle.

For instance, no Samuel Clemens who worked on a riverboat has ever won political office in a year of a Halley's Comet passing.

• Locked thread