Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Of course they look similar because Josuke specifically dresses and wears his hair like him

It would be weird if they didn't look similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

El Hefe posted:

Just finished SBR and holy poo poo I was not expecting ZA WARUDO at all.

"Hey, it's cool how they made Dio into a secondary antagonist and not the focus of the story for once, and how he has a power that isn't kinda broZA WARUDO"

It's fine tho he gets wrecked by a 14 year-old.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dias posted:

"Hey, it's cool how they made Dio into a secondary antagonist and not the focus of the story for once, and how he has a power that isn't kinda broZA WARUDO"

It's fine tho he gets wrecked by a 14 year-old.

actually he gets wrecked by Dio :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Neither DIegO did anything wrong.

Legitimately, unlike memeing that DIO is pure.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

tiistai posted:

Of course they look similar because Josuke specifically dresses and wears his hair like him

It would be weird if they didn't look similar

Yeah, Josuke is deliberately going for That Yanki Aesthetic so of course they look similar.

Like, if you're also going for the "why is his face all shadowed" argument, you could literally use the same one for the gangster that Giorno helps. It's much more likely in both of these cases that it's a hazy memory and the kids either didn't see their faces very well or have a hard time remembering them. Plus, like Aurain said, Araki probably hasn't settled on the main power of the bad guy at this point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not totally related, but I remember reading that when characters are shadowed, particularly villains like Diavolo originally, it's often simply because their design isn't finalised but they need to show up. His silhouette is quite different to his final look even in the minor details you can see.

So there's that aspect to these things at times. No decision has been made on what to actually draw.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Wasn't one of Diavolo's silhouettes wearing like a three piece suit.

I'm pretty sure it's one of his costumes in Eyes of Heaven even.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Stallion Cabana posted:

Wasn't one of Diavolo's silhouettes wearing like a three piece suit.

I'm pretty sure it's one of his costumes in Eyes of Heaven even.

Like.

Can you imagine him wearing that in all seriousness, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Neither DIegO did anything wrong.

Legitimately, unlike memeing that DIO is pure.

:agreed:

Nothing he does is expressly evil. Like, he does ally with Valentine, but before it was obvious Valentine was...Funny. :v:

BaDandy posted:

Like.

Can you imagine him wearing that in all seriousness, though.

I love that, because this is JoJo's, wearing normal clothes is considered unthinkable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BaDandy posted:

Like, if you're also going for the "why is his face all shadowed" argument, you could literally use the same one for the gangster that Giorno helps. It's much more likely in both of these cases that it's a hazy memory and the kids either didn't see their faces very well or have a hard time remembering them. Plus, like Aurain said, Araki probably hasn't settled on the main power of the bad guy at this point.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not totally related, but I remember reading that when characters are shadowed, particularly villains like Diavolo originally, it's often simply because their design isn't finalised but they need to show up. His silhouette is quite different to his final look even in the minor details you can see.

So there's that aspect to these things at times. No decision has been made on what to actually draw.

If you give a character a face, whether you intend to or not you are marking them out as an individual character. Even if you don't provide it, they must have a name, a backstory, and even a personality simply because all characters do.

When you leave a character faceless, you are doing one of two things. You are either making his identity a mystery that will be resolved later, or you are purposefully hiding his individual details because it is important that the audience not think of him as a character. "Faceless goon" is a term for a reason.

Just to hammer in this point further, if Josuke's flashback was at all framed as a mystery, then you could make the argument that it's a dropped plot point. But it's not. At all.

Here are the "clues" we know about the mystery man:
    1. He was in a fight and had injuries.
    2. He was wearing a school uniform.
    3. He styled his hair in a pompadour.
You might notice that none of these are particularly clue-like. No, what they are are blatant visual signs that this dude is some delinquent. Everything we are shown about him is to make you think he wouldn't help Tomoko and Josuke, because that's what you'd expect out of a punk. But he does, and that is the point of the flashback. It is explaining why Josuke is who he is.

It's fine and dandy to be curious about who the guy was (Josuke is too!), but arguing that the scene is some missed opportunity is quite frankly asinine. It does everything it sets out to do perfectly, and the only possible hangups you might have with it are from if you outsmarted yourself and thought it was hinting that Josuke would be sent back in time (even though that would completely ruin the story). And if your only complaint is that the story didn't go the (shittier) direction you thought it would, then guess what? That's got nothing to do with the quality of the story itself.

EDIT: If you can't tell, I really like Part IV and think it is a perfect flawless gem.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for the Steel Ball Run anime and all the anime-only people are really confused and suspicious about Diego.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for the Steel Ball Run anime and all the anime-only people are really confused and suspicious about Diego.

Obvious SBR ED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiDcJi534Y

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I love that, because this is JoJo's, wearing normal clothes is considered unthinkable.

Remember that bit where it's explained that gangsters normally wear plainclothes to blend in and not be noticed and then later we get this panel?

Good times.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nothing he does is expressly evil.
Diego 2.0 is pretty explicitly evil.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He also killed Wekapipo just because he's an rear end in a top hat. Don't tell me there was no way to pull him out of the other dimension that didn't involve putting his entire body through too.

edit: Apparently the guy's name is Wekapipo this whole time and I never noticed. Huh.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 16, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bad Seafood posted:

He kind of is, yeah.

I'm still not super sure why Valentine recruited him, even as he did he admitted 'you're probably just looking out for yourself, but that's fine'.

Like what did he think Johnny was gonna do with it, give it to Canada?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Diego just wants to win the race and eat rocks for the sake of his digestion, he is a good boy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, between using his fangirls as body shields and going on at length about how he's going to rape Lucy it's fair to see AU Diego isn't a super great guy, which is of course the point of the character and a return to the clasic DIO megalomania we all know and love.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Stallion Cabana posted:

He kind of is, yeah.

I'm still not super sure why Valentine recruited him, even as he did he admitted 'you're probably just looking out for yourself, but that's fine'.

That plot made more sense when I thought Johnny was from England, now I'm not really sure. Course, I thought Diego was by extension also from England, but doesn't seem the type to care about his nation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Valentine wanted to deny the corpse to Johnny because despite what he keeps saying he's still an incredibly petty piece of poo poo, and doesn't mind letting Dio have the corpse because he's in full gently caress That Guy mode and just wants Johnny to get hosed over at any cost.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny ruined America's shot at eternal happiness, gently caress him imo

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
someone needs to count how many times Jolyne and Hermes yell "what the gently caress is happening" because it feels like every other line.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

someone needs to count how many times Jolyne and Hermes yell "what the gently caress is happening" because it feels like every other line.

They're very relatable characters.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Anasui: Doesn't really know what's going on

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Pucci: He's around here somewhere

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Moltrey posted:

Pucci: He's around here somewhere

Pucci: has naked pictures of DIO under his bed.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Baal posted:

Someone get me an AV of Jotaro and Star Platinum pointing in the OP preferably a gif

http://i.imgur.com/Y56IuEV.gifv

I can't afford to buy them but here are 2 that are within the size limits

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Y56IuEV.gifv

I can't afford to buy them but here are 2 that are within the size limits

Your posting...yare yare daze.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

4>7>2>6>5>3>1, IMO. Prior to Part 7, it was like the Star Trek movies: the even ones were better than the odd ones.

Interesting to note that the last time I mentioned this, I put 2 before 7. They're fairly close, really. I still stand by pretty much everything else I said.

Silver2195 posted:

People rank the parts a lot, but I'm not sure I've ever made a ranking post myself, so I'll do it now. Not ranking Part 8 because it's unfinished.

Part 4: The part with the strongest characterization overall (in part because we got to see the characters doing things other than fighting for their lives), and the part where Stands really come into their own. There's also no really bad fights/sub-arcs here. I didn't get much of an impression of Josuke's personality the first time I read it, but on a reread, I realized that he was a really complex character. For example, why does Josuke seem so much more laid-back later on, as opposed to his more serious personality earlier? Because his grandfather (who must have been like a father to him) died near the beginning; it must have taken him a while to come to fully come to terms with it. Part 4 does lack a cohesive plot with a sense of forward momentum for much of it, but the subplot of Rohan figuring out Kira's new identity was interesting.

Part 2: Had excellent tactical fights and the most memorable Jojo. (Josuke is a more realistic character, but Joseph is more memorable.) Joseph vs. Whammu is a particularly great set-piece fight. The only part with a real training arc, but it actually work. This is also where the series really gets bizarre. Whammu was a great antagonist, but he wasn't the main villain; Kars was the main villain, and Kars was sort of generic, personality-wise. What goals did Kars even have after he became the Ultimate Life Form? The complaint that no one other than Joseph does anything is slightly exaggerated, but it's true that no good guy other than Joseph wins an extended fight.

Part 7: The part with the best plot, though to be fair, most of the previous parts weren't really trying to have a plot. The characters were complex, though not quite as memorable as the Part 4 ones. The actual fights are what places this below Part 2; most of them are good, but some get confusing (especially Civil War).

Part 6: It was good to see some well-written female characters after the cringeworthy ones in Parts 3 and 4, and a main character who has to work to use their Stand cleverly after the somewhat overpowered Giorno. Also some cool and bizarre Stands like Underworld and Limp Bizkit. On the other hand, the art took a step backwards in some ways, to the point of making some of the fight scenes confusing. I have no strong feelings either way about the ending, but I can understand why some people hate it.

Part 5: Everything stops making sense as soon as Silver Chariot Requiem shows up. The characterization is better than 3 but not as good as 4 overall; Diavolo is the weak point here. Some good fights (in a similar vein to Part 4), but a couple of them lasted too long.

Part 3: It's weird that this part eclipsed the others in the public mind until the anime came out. Araki was clearly still figuring Stands out, and there's some weak fights (Dark Blue Moon, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, High Priestess...basically all Jotaro's solo fights except Yellow Temperance, come to think of it). Aside from Polnareff, the characters aren't fleshed out much. And DIO doesn't really do anything until the end. On the other hand, there's some really good fights too, like Pet Shop and D'Arby the Gambler.

Part 1: If I was going by the anime versions this would be ranked higher. As it is, though, it has the worst art (reminiscent of Rob Liefeld) and several chapters go by at the beginning before anything really happens (not a huge problem for me when I read it, but when you consider it was originally serialized in Jump, this counts against it). As a character, Jonathan is a mixed bag; Araki himself has admitted he lacks the flaws a really compelling character needs, but his relationship with Erina (while rather trite) is the only actually compelling romance prior to Part 8 (Joseph and Suzy Q barely interact (although Joseph's cheating suggests Araki noticed this too), and Yukako and Annasui are hosed up people that Koichi and Jolyne should have stayed away from).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stallion Cabana posted:

He kind of is, yeah.

Pretty sure it was just spite against Johnny Joestar. I mean he was so close to 「taking the napkin」 and he messed it up. I mean he was doomed anyway, getting final revenge via some other interdimensional rear end in a top hat is the only thing he has left.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't like part 2 as much because:
- it's a v limited cast
- other characters get poo poo on so Joseph can save the day
- no Stands

and while 5 is still being retranslated, i'm confident the larger cast (with characters who already had personality in the bad TL) will put it over 2 for me. it really comes down to 5 & 6 having more inventive fights where everybody is given a chance to shine and develop. so ultimately 2 only beats out 1, for me.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Dias posted:

Your posting...yare yare daze.

You're right, I forgot the most important one

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
2 has more inventive fights than most of part 3 tho, and I still have a soft spot for Joseph in my heart. It's kinda refreshing to have a non-traditional protagonist, someone that is by all means an rear end in a top hat, but still does what he has to in the end. 5 has a better ensemble cast, but Joseph is way better than Giorno as a protagonist, IMO. I'd probably not rank it above 6, 7 and 4, but it's on the upper part of the 8-part divide so far (at least until JJL finishes, I'm pretty sure that one will be one of my favorite parts, if it's not outright my favorite).

Also I've been re-reading Jojolion and gently caress little kids I hope they all turn into rock.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Flip this one and my post makes for a good text.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I need this one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

YOU DID THE THING. :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've been meaning for a while to reread Part 6 and livetweet it as a series of Florida Man tweets.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My Jojo rankings are honestly kinda nebulous. I know I like Parts 7, 3, and 4 better than the rest (in that order), but past that point it's kinda murky and sometimes I like one part more or another part less.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been meaning for a while to reread Part 6 and livetweet it as a series of Florida Man tweets.

Florida Woman Plays Convoluted Game of Catch.

Florida Woman Befriends a Rare Species of Plankton.

Florida Woman Sets Herself On Fire.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Florida Woman Trampled by 1988 Miami Dolphins

My favorite Parts are 7, 4 and 6 and those are also the order of my favorite JoJo's

dogsicle posted:

and while 5 is still being retranslated, i'm confident the larger cast (with characters who already had personality in the bad TL) will put it over 2 for me. it really comes down to 5 & 6 having more inventive fights where everybody is given a chance to shine and develop. so ultimately 2 only beats out 1, for me.
This is basically where I stand on Part 2. I've also recently re-read Part 1 recently and I might honestly enjoy Part 1 more thematically.

The only thing I still really enjoy in Part 2 is the Pillar Men using their hosed up ancient bodies as weapons and to consume and there wasn't enough of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I appreciate how as much as Araki's style has changed over the years, he's always held the torch for body horror.