Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

Namor's thong is impeccable, and I will not see it impugned. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Picklepuss posted:

It's probably just me showing my age. I get why Elektra dresses like that in the TV show, and why the movie Falcon looks like a SWAT guy with mechanical wings, etc... but part of what I've always loved about comics are the fantastic and colorful costumes. For me, replacing them with realistic outfits take away from the escapism and fun.

EDIT: The short version is grandma misses when super-heroes and villains wore impractical spandex and/or bathing suits.
Yeah, I suppose I can get that. I'm in the camp that Superman wears his underpants on the outside, for instance. The problem is that sort of nostalgia can lead to stuff like the return of Barry Allen (as opposed to The Return of Barry Allen) and Stephanie Brown & Cassandra Cain being erased from existence (sure they're back now, but DC clearly nailed their colours to the mast that Babs is the One True Batgirl and anyone who thinks otherwise can go gently caress themselves).

Travis343 posted:

Nah I'm with you. Realism in superhero comics is slowly draining the joy out of the genre and I sure hope this trend swings the other way soon.
Because it's the costumes, that are the problem, not the constant events and killing off of characters every financial quarter.

It's not about being 'more realistic', it's about making costumes that are meant to appeal to a wider audience by being less objectifying.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 15, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I suppose I can get that. I'm in the camp that Superman wears his underpants on the outside, for instance. The problem is that sort of nostalgia can lead to stuff like the return of Barry Allen (as opposed to The Return of Barry Allen) and Stephanie Brown & Cassandra Cain being erased from existence (sure they're back now, but DC clearly nailed their colours to the mast that Babs is the One True Batgirl and anyone who thinks otherwise can go gently caress themselves).

Because it's the costumes, that are the problem, not the constant events and killing off of characters every financial quarter.

It's not about being 'more realistic', it's about making costumes that are meant to appeal to a wider audience by being less objectifying.

I want to be super clear I'm not talking about Psylocke's 90s costume as a good example of an unrealistic costume. I am 100% in favor of non objectifying costumes for superheroes whether they are quote unquote realistic or not.

I'm talking more about making everybody wearing armor plates and kevlar nano-weaves and garbage like that. And obviously lazy writing and dependence on events to keep the lights on are bigger problems than Superman's dumb loving Jim Lee collar, but this is the costume thread, so I'm talking about a trend in costumes that bugs me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, you're wrong. Superman's collar was a much bigger misstep than Convergence or Futures End or whatever else.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nah, he's just angry because Tony keeps making 'shrinkage' jokes. That water's gotta be cold for him to fit inside that little shell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, I don't think costume nostalgia is quite the same as sweeping character-deleting retcons. That's a pretty big mountain you've made out of the spandex molehill.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

I want to be super clear I'm not talking about Psylocke's 90s costume as a good example of an unrealistic costume. I am 100% in favor of non objectifying costumes for superheroes whether they are quote unquote realistic or not.

I'm talking more about making everybody wearing armor plates and kevlar nano-weaves and garbage like that. And obviously lazy writing and dependence on events to keep the lights on are bigger problems than Superman's dumb loving Jim Lee collar, but this is the costume thread, so I'm talking about a trend in costumes that bugs me.
Ah, right. I thought you were lumping stuff like Carol's Captain Marvel suit & the Batgirl of Burnside. I agree that the New 52 costumes are mostly garbage fires.

McSpanky posted:

No, I don't think costume nostalgia is quite the same as sweeping character-deleting retcons. That's a pretty big mountain you've made out of the spandex molehill.
It may have been slightly hyperbolic, but they do both spring from the same source - 'it was better when I was growing up'. Nostalgia isn't bad on its own. It's when people get into positions where they can outright block changes or revert them outright that you have problems. I'm not suggesting Picklepuss is the next Dan Didio.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

It shouldn't be red because the red ninja outfit in Daredevil looks hilariously ridiculous.

"I am Nobu! My mother just dropped me off at the costume shop and when she gets back I will totally destroy Orange Julius!"

You think that would not make for an awesome episode? Kingpin and The Hand vs Orange Julius...a shop with Squirrel Girl and Kamala behind the counter. Plot to remove the kiosk to make for a mall of evil, a temple to crime...priced shoddy goods.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Absurdly skin-tight, objectifying stuff is obviously and assuredly not good (and generally looks horrendous in real life) but that excepted I will forever defend comic adaptations staying true to their roots and embracing their silliness wholeheartedly so it's always disappointing to see costumes that shy away from the eye-popping visuals of their earlier incarnations. Like, the best part of The Winter Soldier for me was Toby Jones delivering lines like "Yes, it is me, herr Captain! My mind was preserved on the 22 thousand feet of magnetic computer tape you see all around you!", I just love that kind of demented poo poo.

Give me clashing colours, give me giant, boxy robots with a blatant Porsche bonnet for a chest, give me art deco rocketships that could never lift off in the real world, ludicrous super-science, all of it. Embrace it, don't cower from it.

Goofy -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Goofy is right.

Goofy works.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Elektra's outfit in the show was comically bad, much like her character in general. Nothing striking or imposing or iconic at all, just your ordinary female ninja from Arrow

Sentinel Red posted:

Like, the best part of The Winter Soldier for me was Toby Jones delivering lines like "Yes, it is me, herr Captain! My mind was preserved on the 22 thousand feet of magnetic computer tape you see all around you!", I just love that kind of demented poo poo.

Still not a tv inside a headless fat guy :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ah, right. I thought you were lumping stuff like Carol's Captain Marvel suit & the Batgirl of Burnside. I agree that the New 52 costumes are mostly garbage fires.

It may have been slightly hyperbolic, but they do both spring from the same source - 'it was better when I was growing up'. Nostalgia isn't bad on its own. It's when people get into positions where they can outright block changes or revert them outright that you have problems. I'm not suggesting Picklepuss is the next Dan Didio.

Those are both amazing superhero costumes. Captain Carol's costume is so good I want her to be a bigger deal in the Marvel U just because that costume deserves to be on everything. It screams Superhero. It's simple, bold colors, clean lines, not too gaudy, not overstuffed. If DC designed that costume it would probably have like yellow piping running all over it like the Flash's godawful new outfit.

Batgirl's costume might be realistic in the sense that it's primarily just normal clothes you can buy at a store, but it's so stylish and fun I can't help but love it. It flies in the face of the bat-armor trend which conflates 'realism' with how much protection it offers. It is unlikely that a person would fight crime in just a jacket and some Doc Martens without getting shot or stabbed but that is the suspension of disbelief we willingly make to enjoy superhero comics, I think.

One costume of this trend I will say that I do not actually like, is the new Jessica Drew Spider-Woman. It feels like a very obvious response to the Milo Manara cover controversy, and it's incredibly similar to Batgirl's redesign. I think if they wanted to update Spider-Woman's look they could have probably done better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Still not a tv inside a headless fat guy :(

I think there's a certain poetry in that it was a disembodied fat guy's head inside a TV.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

Those are both amazing superhero costumes. Captain Carol's costume is so good I want her to be a bigger deal in the Marvel U just because that costume deserves to be on everything. It screams Superhero. It's simple, bold colors, clean lines, not too gaudy, not overstuffed. If DC designed that costume it would probably have like yellow piping running all over it like the Flash's godawful new outfit.

Batgirl's costume might be realistic in the sense that it's primarily just normal clothes you can buy at a store, but it's so stylish and fun I can't help but love it. It flies in the face of the bat-armor trend which conflates 'realism' with how much protection it offers. It is unlikely that a person would fight crime in just a jacket and some Doc Martens without getting shot or stabbed but that is the suspension of disbelief we willingly make to enjoy superhero comics, I think.

One costume of this trend I will say that I do not actually like, is the new Jessica Drew Spider-Woman. It feels like a very obvious response to the Milo Manara cover controversy, and it's incredibly similar to Batgirl's redesign. I think if they wanted to update Spider-Woman's look they could have probably done better.

:agreed:

I think we've kind of been talking past each other rather than actively disagreeing (although I will state that I think that the Elektra Netflix costume doesn't count as one of those 'overly realistic', since after all, she's not a conventional superhero - she's first and foremost a ninja assassin who doesn't bother with codenames, et. al).

Anyway, we can all agree Cassandra Cain's Blackbat costume is pretty awesome, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It pales in comparison to her Tim Burton's Batgirl look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah the original stitchface Batgirl costume is pretty much unassailable in my mind but both of her preboot costumes are great.

I actually think 'Orphan' is a tight codename but the costume she's got is awful.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

:agreed:

I think we've kind of been talking past each other rather than actively disagreeing (although I will state that I think that the Elektra Netflix costume doesn't count as one of those 'overly realistic', since after all, she's not a conventional superhero - she's first and foremost a ninja assassin who doesn't bother with codenames, et. al).

Anyway, we can all agree Cassandra Cain's Blackbat costume is pretty awesome, right?

That looks exactly like a Barbara Gordon Batgirl outfit I remember, with a cape that has snagged on a barbed wire fence.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't understand the design aesthetic behind gimp mask Cassandra.

edit: I meant Orphan

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

hiddenriverninja posted:

she cannot talk... not literally but she has a sub child level vocabulary.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Had a conversation last night of how not a lot of Marvel people seem to have capes. Especially in the movies. So far there it's just like Asgardians and I guess Doctor Strange later this year?

Granted capes have been one of those things comics and especially adaptations have been getting all "no those are lame and old and we're new and cool!" about for a long time now.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Christ, the Red Robin suit sucks. All of the Red Robin suits have sucked, the name sucks, the entire identity sucks, I am old and cranky, Red Robin delenda est.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Light Gun Man posted:

Had a conversation last night of how not a lot of Marvel people seem to have capes. Especially in the movies. So far there it's just like Asgardians and I guess Doctor Strange later this year?

Granted capes have been one of those things comics and especially adaptations have been getting all "no those are lame and old and we're new and cool!" about for a long time now.

Nah, most of their stable of heroes just don't wear capes going all the way back to the 60s. It's basically just Thor, Dr Strange, and a handful of c listers no one has heard of.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

Nah, most of their stable of heroes just don't wear capes going all the way back to the 60s. It's basically just Thor, Dr Strange, and a handful of c listers no one has heard of.

Vision, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Storm

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

The 2 of the 3 of those that come from the 60s were villains at the time.
Edit:
The larger point is a tiny fraction of Marvel heroes, Thor and Dr. Strange are the the only ones I can think of that come from the Lee/Kirby/Ditko era.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 16, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Acne Rain posted:

she cannot talk... not literally but she has a sub child level vocabulary.

There was also, I seem to recall, a huge discussion years ago that the design was either misogynistic or a social commentary on women in comics. The talking points for both sides were essentially the same, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The stitch face mask was originally devised by the Huntress after she got blasted in the face with spray paint during No Man's Land and didn't want to get laughed at.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Well, it was. Then they added pouches and pointless lines and armored boots.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

prefect posted:

Every woman Cyclops runs into in his day-to-day life is gorgeous; it makes no sense that his mind would be blown like that.

He's not attracted, it's that his mind is being eroded by the Lovecraftian nature of her bad design and proportions.

"her armpits---convex...horzon line on her breasts...the crosshatching...it's everywhere///"

You can't see because of the sunglasses, but his eyes are bleeding.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Looking up Scott's powers:

quote:

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a powerful beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops's eyes are no longer the complex organic jelly that utilizes the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. Instead, they are inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another, non-Einsteinian universe, where physical laws as we know them do not pertain.

At this point, his entire life should be spent in a screaming horror of the things he has beheld.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That portal thing is from an idiot deciding that is how it should work for a Marvel encyclopedia. It's never been in a comic.

Everyone forgot about it for years, then a different idiot doing an X-Men encyclopedia put it back in there.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Aphrodite posted:

That portal thing is from an idiot deciding that is how it should work for a Marvel encyclopedia. It's never been in a comic.

Everyone forgot about it for years, then a different idiot doing an X-Men encyclopedia put it back in there.

I'm pretty sure I read a comic where the X-Men needed Doctor Strange's help to shove a demon that had escaped Cyclops's head back into his head dimension.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Toshimo posted:

OK yeah, this is pretty much the same stuff that came up so I'm glad to see some kind of confirmation. Most of the ones with capes or cape-like things we could think of were X-men characters actually. I don't know if that says anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm pretty sure I read a comic where the X-Men needed Doctor Strange's help to shove a demon that had escaped Cyclops's head back into his head dimension.
You might be misremembering the time he transported Jean and Cyclops into the Crimson Cosmos to fetch a gem to banish Juggernaut with.

also, nomadscape.jpg

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

He's not attracted, it's that his mind is being eroded by the Lovecraftian nature of her bad design and proportions.

"her armpits---convex...horzon line on her breasts...the crosshatching...it's everywhere///"

You can't see because of the sunglasses, but his eyes are bleeding.

Also I just realized the coloring strongly implies a sunburn on her inner thighs only. What?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

Also I just realized the coloring strongly implies a sunburn on her inner thighs only. What?

Too many hot takes

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

McSpanky posted:

The captain's daughter, Charlotte,
Was born and bred a harlot.
At the beginning of the night,
Her thighs were white,
But by morning they were scarlet.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Ghostlight posted:

You might be misremembering the time he transported Jean and Cyclops into the Crimson Cosmos to fetch a gem to banish Juggernaut with.

Nah, this is different. He starts seeing a demon and it screws up his combat effectiveness, so they have to go see Doctor Strange for help. I think it might be the same dimension, though.

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 17, 2016

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cyclops having demons randomly pop out of his eyes is an amazing idea, and should be the accepted interpretation of his powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Savidudeosoo posted:

I think you're confused with the X-men First Class comic where Cyclops' visor let him see some invisible demon that was running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're confused with the X-men First Class comic where Cyclops' visor let him see some invisible demon that was running around.

That might be it, actually.

• Locked thread