Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I dunno about Gwenpool. That literal last-page tone shift sure is, uh...let's say...unexpected?

I'll bite: What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

I'll bite: What happened?

Up until the final page they established Gwenpool as, unlike Deadpool who's sort of a Shakespearean fourth-wall breaking actor (aka someone who respects the rules of the universe established even when he's aware he's in a comic and whose comments are basically asides to the camera (the audience)), someone who knows that she's a character and is in a comic book and her actions are directly influenced by that. So, like, even though she has no super powers of any kind or even any martial arts training she'll enter into clearly suicidal fights she's totally outnumbered in because, and this is her voiced reasoning, she's the hero of the comic, and heroes win, so the fact that she's completely outmatched doesn't matter. She's absolutely safe.

She acquires a hacker goon because she needs a sidekick, and because the comic so blatantly disrespects the fourth wall (he at one point flippantly mentions her "Truman Show thing"), it's clearly established to be one big goofer. She takes a merc job she has no business taking, some other dude kills everyone for her, and she quickly and easily pushes him into a portal to hell before taking all the credit.

Then on the final page MODOK shows up, telling her that she's now his main goon (replacing his previous goon that she killed), and to show he means business kills the hacker goon friend. Like, as in, she's holding the dude's skull in her hands as she's crushed by the overwhelming realization that her actions have consequences.

It's this weird really atonal beat after a comic all about how nothing matters because it's a comic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

A little child believed in him and told him to be Captain America again, and the strength of that child's naïve wish gave him back his Super Soldier juices.

Also the child was a cosmic cube, in girl shape—a cosmic kid, if you will.

Is avengers alliance a crossover from other books then?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

Up until the final page they established Gwenpool as, unlike Deadpool who's sort of a Shakespearean fourth-wall breaking actor (aka someone who respects the rules of the universe established even when he's aware he's in a comic and whose comments are basically asides to the camera (the audience)), someone who knows that she's a character and is in a comic book and her actions are directly influenced by that. So, like, even though she has no super powers of any kind or even any martial arts training she'll enter into clearly suicidal fights she's totally outnumbered in because, and this is her voiced reasoning, she's the hero of the comic, and heroes win, so the fact that she's completely outmatched doesn't matter. She's absolutely safe.

She acquires a hacker goon because she needs a sidekick, and because the comic so blatantly disrespects the fourth wall (he at one point flippantly mentions her "Truman Show thing"), it's clearly established to be one big goofer. She takes a merc job she has no business taking, some other dude kills everyone for her, and she quickly and easily pushes him into a portal to hell before taking all the credit.

Then on the final page MODOK shows up, telling her that she's now his main goon (replacing his previous goon that she killed), and to show he means business kills the hacker goon friend. Like, as in, she's holding the dude's skull in her hands as she's crushed by the overwhelming realization that her actions have consequences.

It's this weird really atonal beat after a comic all about how nothing matters because it's a comic.

It seems to me you kind of bought into Gwenpool's view of the world. It's meant to be weirdly atonal, because on some level she's supposed to be an audience surrogate (she's literally a Marvel fan dropped into the 616). She knew she was in a comic, but she rather misjudged what the tone of that comic was. Maybe she figured she was in a more consequence-free story - but she forget she's spun off from Deadpool, who is in the top 10 of 'comic characters with the shittiest lives'. Playing with our expectations makes total sense that way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Doctor Strange: Season One is worth a look. The writing feels a little paint by numbers but Emma Rios' art is gorgeous:

I read this recently, and really enjoyed it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems to me you kind of bought into Gwenpool's view of the world. It's meant to be weirdly atonal, because on some level she's supposed to be an audience surrogate (she's literally a Marvel fan dropped into the 616). She knew she was in a comic, but she rather misjudged what the tone of that comic was. Maybe she figured she was in a more consequence-free story - but she forget she's spun off from Deadpool, who is in the top 10 of 'comic characters with the shittiest lives'. Playing with our expectations makes total sense that way.

I think you're on to something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't, and probably won't read the book, but that kind of sounds exactly like the thing you'd see in a Deadpool book. Wackiness straight into personal horror. That should be part and parcel with the -pool name if the writer is doing something right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I haven't read a lot of Deadpool, and certainly not as much as you, but for me I always interpreted the whackiness as a glorified aside - basically Deadpool commenting on events as they're happening. With Gwenpool it feels like the meta-narrative layer is the story they're telling, subtext-as-text essentially.

I'm willing to concede that it can and probably will be going somewhere, which is why I strived to say that it wasn't necessary bad. It was very, very jarring, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yea, this is exactly my take on the situation too. Obviously this is intentional to lure the reader into not expecting the swerve.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Honestly anyone who thought that a book where the character kept going 'haha comic books are so dumb and I cannot be touched because I am the main character and awesome and nothing can happen that's bad and it's hilarious' would not have something bad happen to them is kind of... Silly. And really bad at picking up on hints.

I disliked gwenpool until the end, because I felt like the whole 'None of this matters and everything is fake so I can kill anyone and do anything and it's totally not morally wrong to do bad things' attitude was kind of disgusting. It reminded me of the kid who sets ants on fire with a magnifying glass.

I am glad there are consequences for Bad Things, even if the consequences seem to be 'worse things'

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

KittyEmpress posted:

Honestly anyone who thought that a book where the character kept going 'haha comic books are so dumb and I cannot be touched because I am the main character and awesome and nothing can happen that's bad and it's hilarious' would not have something bad happen to them is kind of... Silly. And really bad at picking up on hints.
I'm guessing she never heard of Omega the Unknown.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like Gwenpool because I like Chris Hastings and because I will read pretty much anything Gurihiru does art for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chris Hastings is indeed a good writer and makes me have second thoughts about reading it. But I already have too many Marvel books so things I'm only interested in because of a writer and have no interested in the concept will just have to wait until maybe it shows on MU.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

I like Gwenpool because I like Chris Hastings and because I will read pretty much anything Gurihiru does art for.

Yea, I pretty much only picked it up because of Gurihiru's art, its cute and fits the character really well.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

zoux posted:

Cap sure gets a lot of plot developments from Cosmic Cube wishes.

Credit to some goon from an old Ruin the Moment thread.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I read Thanos: The Infinity Finale last night, and I've been thinking: it's strange that Gladiator, for as powerful as he is and as dangerous as he's occasionally depicted as being, has become the cosmic jobber of the Marvel Universe.

Off the top of my head, he's got a couple of unequivocal wins (beating up Colossus in the Phoenix Saga, and he did all right in the War of Kings arc), but since then he gets worked pretty regularly:

* Beaten up by the X-Men and Starjammers off-panel in one of Claremont's last issues of Uncanny
* Knocked out in one panel by Gambit in the issue after that
* Cut in half by an evil Silver Surfer in Exiles
* Gets soloed by Cannonball in Scott Lobdell's run on Uncanny
* Sacrifices himself (and gets better) at one point in Walter Simonson's run on Fantastic Four
* In Infinity Finale, he's the first one killed by an orbital strike from Annihilus
* In Infinity Revelation, Thanos teleports him two hundred light-years away rather than bother fighting him
* The Phoenix Five takes him out in Wolverine & The X-Men

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Cassandra Nova also caused him to wet himself once?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just read through the new ultimates books and I'm really digging the high concept cosmic stuff it's doing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Cassandra Nova also caused him to wet himself once?

Yes. His power is proportional to his confidence. A few of those fights are bullshit, but you just have to make him doubt himself to kick his rear end.

Now I miss Kid Gladiator. Same powers, but with added teenage overconfidence.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Die Laughing posted:

Now I miss Kid Gladiator. Same powers, but with added teenage overconfidence.

Didn't he return to Earth right before that series ended? I'd love to see him used again. They oughtta do a Young Uncanny Avengers book. Kid Gladiator, Ms Marvel, Rockslide, and I dunno, 3-5 less-awesome young heroes.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Diet Poison posted:

Didn't he return to Earth right before that series ended? I'd love to see him used again. They oughtta do a Young Uncanny Avengers book. Kid Gladiator, Ms Marvel, Rockslide, and I dunno, 3-5 less-awesome young heroes.
Throw in Hummingbird and I'd be there with bells on.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Diet Poison posted:

Ms. Marvel, Ms. America, Kid Gladiator, Kate, Mettle and Hazmat (happily together). Though on second thought, Kamala might not fit in that team so well, she's way too nice.
ETA: Which reminds me. At the end of Siege, Ms. America kicks her way out of the universe. Does that mean the Ms. American in ANAD remembers Battleworld etc.? Forgive me if my MU-delayed reading is causing annoying questions.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've always felt that America in Battleworld was 616 America. She just saw the world ending and kicked a hole in reality and went to Battleworld. Though that implies that there is a 1602 Kate out there somewhere.

I dunno, Kamala would probably function well on a Young Avengers team, being the heart of the team that calls everyone on their poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I can not wait for Avengers initiative/Academy 2.0 with a bunch of fun teen or young adult characters. I will be sad when it only runs for 20 some issues followed by Avengers Teen Deathmatch-Who Will Survive?

RIP Juston and Mettle.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Test Pattern posted:

Ms. Marvel, Ms. America, Kid Gladiator, Kate, Mettle and Hazmat (happily together). Though on second thought, Kamala might not fit in that team so well, she's way too nice.
ETA: Which reminds me. At the end of Siege, Ms. America kicks her way out of the universe. Does that mean the Ms. American in ANAD remembers Battleworld etc.? Forgive me if my MU-delayed reading is causing annoying questions.

You cut out Rockslide this will not stand

I'd honestly prefer him to Kid Gladiator by far

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

I've always felt that America in Battleworld was 616 America. She just saw the world ending and kicked a hole in reality and went to Battleworld. Though that implies that there is a 1602 Kate out there somewhere.

I dunno, Kamala would probably function well on a Young Avengers team, being the heart of the team that calls everyone on their poo poo.

In the Siege tie in she mentions how there was pizza on her Earth.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Pizza is a universal constant, but DOOM is above remembering such petty things!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no way Doom's mask allows for him to eat pizza, so he doesn't see the need for it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Doom's mask allows for him to eat pizza, so he doesn't see the need for it.

Doom would invent some kind of molecular phasing device to allow the pizza to pass through his mask without having to open it. Not even Doom can resist a good slice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Do not presume to speak for Doom!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom's probably a Chicago style guy.

He'd have to be, since you know Reed is New York style.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way he likes Chicago "pizza". He might be evil, but he's one of his world's finest minds.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Doom either has super cheesy, greasy pizza or artisanal pizza of the highest ingredients.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Doom went to college in New York City. He's not gonna touch that casserole that Chicagoans insist on calling pizza.

He probably found one favorite pizza joint on the corner while he was at school, and has since built an exact replica of that pizza place in Latveria, run by Doombots.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Ignoring these slights to Chicago pizza that hooligans insist upon strewing about an otherwise clean thread, I have to figure that Doom, being a European snob, only eats Neapolitan-style pizza with all the authenticated ingredients: Campana mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes, etc.

Either that or there's a specific Latverian version, concocted during Doom's brief experimentation with molecular gastronomy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You guys have your Doom traits all out of whack. It goes:

Gigantic childish teary eyed baby Reed Richards contrarian.

European nobility
Genius

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Either that or there's a specific Latverian version, concocted during Doom's brief experimentation with molecular gastronomy.

This. Doomza is a unique and transcendant Latverian delicacy and is unrelated to anything the Americans or Italians have concocted in their crude attempts to mimic Doom's true culinary mastery.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Die Laughing posted:

In the Siege tie in she mentions how there was pizza on her Earth.

I like when Lady Kate says "I need to find a Barton, I feel the need to feel disappointed in something".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Doom went to college in New York City. He's not gonna touch that casserole that Chicagoans insist on calling pizza.

He probably found one favorite pizza joint on the corner while he was at school, and has since built an exact replica of that pizza place in Latveria, run by Doombots.

A man with the ability to pluck NYC skyscrapers from the ground and send them into space doesn't build replicas of tiny pizzerias.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Doom eats pizza with a fork and knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Richards likes floppy pizza, yes. Would that the universe was reshaped and that buffoons who enjoyed such blasphemy never existed!

:doom:

• Locked thread